Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

THE TOXXUPATION THREAD WITH A VENGEANCE
It's back! Watch in amazement as the forums user currently known as Lick! The! Whisk! puts his writing skills

Or utter lack thereof...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lampsacus posted:

Does anybody else have the problem where they've rewatched the revival episodes so many times they've tapped them dry? I guess I could start on the Martha season again.

The second season is essentially unwatchable to me. Outside of School Reunion and the Impossible Planet / Satan Pit two-parter, it's just so, so much hot garbage. I used to be fond of the Cybermen two-parter, but after revisiting it a few months ago, it was just stunningly bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

I hope we get a TARDIS redesign soon. I love the late-11/12 console room...but I like it when it changes up

Chibnall is almost assuredly changing it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

Thanks. :lol: that not even Amazon can classify the specials correctly.

Streaming is in this weird miasma of poo poo right now. Netflix continues to hemorrhage non-original content (the streaming library in the US is now under 4,000 titles; a few years ago it was around 13,000), Amazon's got the worst interface in human history (and can't catalog anything properly to save its life), and Hulu's just kind of ticking along with random things here and there because the networks realized, "Wait, why do we each co-own a chunk of one service when we can each launch our own service and get that sweet :tenbux: directly to us, instead of splitting it?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

Man, maybe they really are trying to keep it secret til Christmas?

Chibnall isn't planning to begin shooting until early next year (last I read they were looking to do an autumn release so as to not run into something like the World Cup), so ... hot drat, that would be the mother of all surprises. And they wrapped the special yesterday, so...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was going to say it felt like a last-minute announcement and I was wondering if the BBC got word that the name was going to leak, but that's a far too slickly produced video for that to be the case.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm thinking back to last time; Capaldi hadn't been massively discussed (I don't remember if we had anywhere near the level of "it'll be either this one or that one" when we were awaiting Twelve's casting that we seem to have had with Marshall and Waller-Bridge; I couldn't tell you who was attracting the most speculation back then at all) until virtually just before he was announced when there was a big rush of bets on him.

I want to say the huge rush of bets was maybe two days before the announcement special on BBC, and then all the bookies closed betting because it was patently obvious someone had talked. I believe Capaldi was talked about more than most because he had auditioned for Eleven until Smith came in and blew everyone away.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

learnincurve posted:

We could probably work it out based on the usual pattern of going through the producers' last projects and finding out which relatively unknown actor is not signed for anything next year. A

Neither Capaldi nor Smith had worked with Moffat before, though, right? The only one that would apply to would be Tennant, because he and Davies worked together on Casanova and Davies wanted him before the BBC gave him Eccleston.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diabolik900 posted:

Capaldi's name didn't really come up until a few days before the announcement, but once it came up, he shot right up to being the clear bookies' favorite. Like, he wasn't rumored for the part until very late, but by the time it was officially announced, the rumors were so strong that it would've been more surprising if they announced someone else.

Two days before the announcement special, a flood of bets came in for Capaldi--to the point that it was obvious that someone had leaked the name--so the bookies actually closed the betting. Ben Daniels wound up being the fallback in the potential event that Capaldi decided not to take the part.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You are Kris Marshall?!

I was thinking Justin McElroy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Ouch, dude.

You have much better hair, and my rapidly whiting (not graying, whiting) and thinning coif envies it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

glowing-fish posted:

This is someone not from Britain checking in on a point:

None of the actors who played The Doctor (or even a companion) were really A-List actors before they got the role, right?

Like, they were well regarded, had successful and critically acclaimed careers, but none of them were, like, a top 5 or top 10 actor in the popular eye. Like none of them were the equivalent of giving the role to Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt.

Pretty much. I think Eccleston and Capaldi have been the highest-profile actors thus far, and after that ... I guess Davison, due to All Creatures Great and Small? But no one's been an "everyone will recognize him on the street" level of a star.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dehry posted:

Just remember before making your fanart that these initial promotional costumes will never appear in the show.

God, I remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when that came out. Everyone was panicking that Doctor Who had gone full Twilight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, predictions of Twelve's last words?

Twelve: poo poo....can't get that....Lily Allen song....out of my head!

Thirteen's first words: "Oh, this again..."

The freakout would be incredible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

"I haven't been blonde since I was a hundred and eighty!"

Suddenly, all life as we know it stops simultaneously and every molecule in our bodies explodes at the speed of light.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do we suppose now that the reports of the BBC wanting a David Tennant type were deliberate misdirection? It is interesting to speculate that they're true but Chibnall said, "No, I would like to cast a female Doctor," and got his way. That would suggest he has considerable pull and that the Corporation has confidence in him.

Well, Chibnall himself said that he's presented a five-year plan for Who and it's pretty ambitious, which already suggests that they have faith in him.

As for the casting, I don't know how much of that was legitimate reports and how much was just Internet spitballing because everyone's A) hungry for spoilers and B) always ready to poo poo on something two seconds after it's announced. Chibnall only just started working on Who maybe a month and a half ago after taking a break following Broadchurch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

When I rewatched earlier this year series 2 really felt like a chore to get through

It's pretty brutal. There are some bright spots like Girl in the Fireplace, School Reunion and Impossible Planet / Satan Pit, and I guess chunks of Doomsday, but by and large the season is dragged to the pits by Tennant and Piper making googly eyes at each other like a couple of high schoolers, and when the episodes got bad, boy howdy, did they get loving bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope that Big Finish set with 10 and Rose tones that poo poo down a lot. I can't stand it.

I mean, Jesus, the Cybermen two-parter exists for all of two reasons: To present us with a bastardized version of the Cybermen, and to scream at us, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the head, that Rose's true wuv is the Doctor, not Mickey, to the point that Mickey would rather gently caress off and fight Cybermen in the parallel universe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

I forgot how painful the Tennant era Whedonesque dialogue is sometimes. "Add another suitcase full of bad."

Between the dialogue, building up to a new Big Bad who's secretly behind the scenes of everything in each season and the nonstop flirting / unrequited love, it was painfully obvious that Davies desperately wanted to be Joss Whedon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up, thus dragging the rest of the episode down in the process

Didn't Bill say at the end of The Doctor Falls that the Doctor would see her again?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

I'm going through the Tom Baker years for the first time, he's such a fun rear end doctor and I'm barely into his run. I enjoyed his first 2 serials, but dug the hell out of Genesis of the Daleks. Was that the first appearance of Davros?

It was, yes. He shows up four more times during the rest of the original run, but it can be argued that only one of those is any good (though, to be fair, it's really good).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

Then John Hurt showed up and we got Day of the Doctor and that was best of all :allears:

I just watched that again the other night for the first time in ... gosh, probably two years, maybe longer, and I was stunned at how well it holds up. I mean, it still makes no loving sense to me, but it's just so much fun, even if much of Tennant's dialogue is a bit messy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only episode I disliked as much as "The End of Time" was "Let's Kill Hitler". However, I think the second one is worse on balance, because even though it has Rory punching out Hitler and shutting him in a cupboard, it doesn't include Wilf.

The End of Time suffers badly because the first part of it is just so, so, so, so goddamn awful: The scene in the quarry with Ten and the Master, and the diner scene between Tennant and Wilf, are literally the only worthwhile bits of the entire episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Is 10 really more self centered and arrogant than 6

Ten wasted an entire regeneration because he was too full of himself to accept changing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

A lot of people said that the Doctor's refusal to regenerate didn't really arise organically from the events of the episode

That part's never bothered me too much. What does aggravate me is the ending of The Day of the Doctor, when it's clearly setting up Matt Smith for a whole new journey to find Gallifrey, and then he just goes "peace out."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

Amazon's Doctor Who is totally hosed. The 50th anniversary is season 50 of the original run of Doctor Who. Some christmas episodes are in the christmas seasons, some are in their own thing. And then if there were a few stand alone specials, they are all in their own category. I don't know why they can't just put everything under one "Doctor Who" listing.

Well, it could be due to licensing weirdness from when BBC America began co-financing the show ... but Occam's Razor says it's just that Amazon can't design a GUI or properly build out a streaming database to save its life.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Why is it right against that wooden beam?

It must adapt to survive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Does anyone have any idea when Chibnall and the crew are going to start shooting for season 11? Usually that gives a pretty good indication of the air date for the first episode.

Airs in autumn, they don't start shooting until January.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slowpoke! posted:

I'll just be happy if we get 13 episodes + Christmas Special on-time every year. How they struggle with this is beyond me. I know it is a very dialogue heavy show and the expectations shouldn't be that something airs forever, but they have missed the equivalent of 2 1/2 seasons in the past 9 years.

Moffat sucks at budgeting and keeps churning through producers who say, "Wait, no, we can't afford this," is what I understand to be the short reason. Pretty sure he went massively over-budget on Pandorica Opens / Big Bang, and that's why the sixth season was split up. And then he cocked up the budget again with 7b.

I'm still sad to see Moffat go because I've loved seasons 5, 7, most of 8 and almost everything in 10 (6 and 9 can just gently caress off, though), but it's clear he stretched himself too thin. It would be interesting to see another Moffat season now that Sherlock appears to be over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was looking at those pictures thinking the Toymaker looked really, really familiar but couldn't put a name to him, so I googled him and it's Michael Gough. :wow:

At first I was thinking, "Wait, did Leonard Nimoy have a lost twin," and then then the nose and eye structure hit me. drat, he showed up everywhere.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I confuse him with Michael Gambon. Not because they look particularly similar, just because their both Michael G.

There's also a very prolific voice actor named Michael Gough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I'm seeing from Tennant is Geddy Lee.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, last I read they aren't targeting season 11 to start airing until autumn 2018, so it'll be a long wait.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chokes McGee posted:

are you loving kidding me

They don't even start shooting until January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Matinee posted:

So, is Bradley Walsh good in Law & Order?

He plays the UK version's analogue to Lennie Briscoe, and he's loving amazing in it.

• Locked thread