Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

When I rewatched earlier this year series 2 really felt like a chore to get through

It's pretty brutal. There are some bright spots like Girl in the Fireplace, School Reunion and Impossible Planet / Satan Pit, and I guess chunks of Doomsday, but by and large the season is dragged to the pits by Tennant and Piper making googly eyes at each other like a couple of high schoolers, and when the episodes got bad, boy howdy, did they get loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vinylshadow posted:

It's surreal, really

"It’s all about the hair. It’s a hair job.'' - Paul McGann

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timby posted:

It's pretty brutal. There are some bright spots like Girl in the Fireplace, School Reunion and Impossible Planet / Satan Pit, and I guess chunks of Doomsday, but by and large the season is dragged to the pits by Tennant and Piper making googly eyes at each other like a couple of high schoolers, and when the episodes got bad, boy howdy, did they get loving bad.

I hope that Big Finish set with 10 and Rose tones that poo poo down a lot. I can't stand it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope that Big Finish set with 10 and Rose tones that poo poo down a lot. I can't stand it.

I mean, Jesus, the Cybermen two-parter exists for all of two reasons: To present us with a bastardized version of the Cybermen, and to scream at us, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the head, that Rose's true wuv is the Doctor, not Mickey, to the point that Mickey would rather gently caress off and fight Cybermen in the parallel universe.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I forgot how painful the Tennant era Whedonesque dialogue is sometimes. "Add another suitcase full of bad."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Seems to be what a lot of folks want back, though. I always assumed the "Bring Back Tennant" thing was a bit of an amusing exaggeration but I've been surprised with how widespread it seemed to me (especially amongst what I take to be "general audiences" or more casual fans of the show) during the speculation before Whittaker was announced.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

I forgot how painful the Tennant era Whedonesque dialogue is sometimes. "Add another suitcase full of bad."

Between the dialogue, building up to a new Big Bad who's secretly behind the scenes of everything in each season and the nonstop flirting / unrequited love, it was painfully obvious that Davies desperately wanted to be Joss Whedon.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whedon has a lot to answer for. It's easy to look at Buffy as the template for the revival format.

Bring back 25 minute episodes IMO.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, how dare that rascal Davies take any inspiration at all from one of the most successful genre television shows of the past 30 years?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Timby posted:

The creepy vampire romance was the absolute worst drat thing. Most of the bad writing I can at least stomach until the end of the episode, but that made my skin crawl every time it came up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Between the dialogue, building up to a new Big Bad who's secretly behind the scenes of everything in each season and the nonstop flirting / unrequited love, it was painfully obvious that Davies desperately wanted to be Joss Whedon.

RTD is quoted on Wikipedia as follows:

quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer showed the whole world, and an entire sprawling industry, that writing monsters and demons and end-of-the world is not hack-work, it can challenge the best. Joss Whedon raised the bar for every writer—not just genre/niche writers, but every single one of us.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chokes McGee posted:

Today, once again, I was reminded I have to wait a year to see 13's costume and personality.

That medical coma idea is looking better and better but at the rate the states are going I'm afraid I'll wake up to a 28 Days Later scenario.

Oh, what's the worst that can happen to the U.K. in the next year?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

learnincurve posted:

We should skip the war part and go right to the diplomatic talking bit at the end?

That oppressed people should just shut up and take it, essentially. It's a view that comes from a very whitewashed view of history, one that ignores all the violence (or threats of violence) that has gone into making societal change. The suffragettes committed bombings. There was a violent Indian independence movement parallel to Gandhi. "Nelson Mandela is a terrorist".

People resort to violence because talking hasn't worked.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Vinylshadow posted:

It's surreal, really

He does look like a magician with short hair.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

It's a shame they got so stuck on the stern, grumpy take on him for series 8. Too much trying to make him space-Malcolm Tucker, when Peter's so good at showing kindness and compassion. gently caress the Zygon speech, the ones from The Pilot and The Doctor Falls nail it. Even the one with Davros in series 9, where he talks about the Doctor being an ideal that he very occasionally is able to live up to is great.

Not that Hell Bent is the hallmark of Peter Capaldi episdoes, but when I think of him, I'm always going to think of him looking at Clara helplessly in the middle of one of his rambling buzzword monologues and just saying "I have a duty of care," with an expression on his face (and in his voice) that sums up all of his guilt and sadness and the stress of responsibility, and that compassion is going to define him more than his grumpiness or his eyerbows. :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Him choking out "...and most of all, because it's kind!" to the Master is the big one for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

When I rewatched earlier this year series 2 really felt like a chore to get through

I still mostly like season 2, it's season 3 that is the real drag as Martha comes along and gets zero character beyond "She's not-Rose."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I liked the "an idiot in a box" speech, but it should've been at the end of Deep Breath, not at the end of the season.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It wouldn't have fit at all in Deep Breath. His speech in that episode was great though, and it's bizarre when people think his character wasn't worked out until his third series or whatever because it was all there right from the start.

quote:

Those people down there. They're never small to me. Don't make assumptions about how far I will go to protect them, because I've already come a very long way. And unlike you, I don't expect to reach the promised land. You realise, of course, one of us is lying about our basic programming. And I think we both know who that is.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

Now we need take the Series 8 episodes and photoshop Series 10 Capaldi's hair onto the Doctor

Then give it a snarky scottish accent and have it provide running commentary for the series

Capaldi's hair confirmed as 13's first companion?! :neckbeard:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

I heard this in Eight's voice and that is the last person who I'd want to hear that from

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That oppressed people should just shut up and take it, essentially. It's a view that comes from a very whitewashed view of history, one that ignores all the violence (or threats of violence) that has gone into making societal change. The suffragettes committed bombings. There was a violent Indian independence movement parallel to Gandhi. "Nelson Mandela is a terrorist".

People resort to violence because talking hasn't worked.

And wouldn't it be nice if the oppressors knew to sit down and talk right at the start as well. That speech wasn't just for bonnie, it was for Kate as well. (P.S. I'm from one of the most oppressed cultures in the world, white people stole me from my family as a baby. Gandhi got it right imo)

On a different note the show was 25mins four story arcs for a reason, children don't have long attention spans.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

learnincurve posted:

On a different note the show was 25mins four story arcs for a reason, children don't have long attention spans.

So how come the show now comes in ~44-minute episodes, then? Children have longer attention spans than it was in the 60s-80s?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Children have perfectly fine attention spans when they want to - that last part being the key. Less so in noisy/tedious/stressful environments. Longer episodes are fine for kids if the show is comparatively well-done and has good dramatic hooks, and that's what generally matters.

Earlier 'new' Doctor Who was always a bit goofy, but for its time it wasn't poorly done either. Not sure all of it has aged well (like mentioned lovesick Rose), but gosh, when it did things right (The Empty Child, anyone?) it hit it out of the park. I think possibly some of it comes down to culture clash for me though, not being British.

Anyway, gonna miss Capaldi. For me he really grew into the role. Wasn't so fond in the beginning, but his run kept just getting... better as it went, somehow. Still, very excited about Jodie, it's good to shake things up and it's a good show to weather that kind of change.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I returned to the tv series after Jago and Litefoot brought me back to this franchise and binged through series 8 and 9. I don't remember having that good of a time.

After watching series 10 and having vastly better time, I think I just vehemently dislike Clara.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

toanoradian posted:

So how come the show now comes in ~44-minute episodes, then? Children have longer attention spans than it was in the 60s-80s?

They don't, not many 5-8 year olds will be able to sit down for that long, which means the audience is getting older when in the 80s the whole family could watch. We did that better back in the day, if you asked me how long bagpuss, the clangers, button moon, or Mr Benn went on for, without knowing the answer, I would tell you half an hour, when in fact they were all around 8 mins long including the titles.

I have a weird time fact: If you are 25 then you have been alive for 10% of American history.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather Who went back to stories that each ran for 4-6 episodes of 22-25 minutes each.

Gives supporting characters more development and you don't have to commit most of an hour per sitting.

Then again that might just be my age showing. Don't even watch modern over air TV at all, my set only has a blu-ray player plugged in :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
25 minutes for Drama was a dead format when Who went back to it in 1986.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
BBC should make Doctor Who in a format that pulls in the most kid viewers: daily 10-15 minute videos of people doing absurd things in ill-fitting superhero costumes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

BBC should make Doctor Who in a format that pulls in the most kid viewers: daily 10-15 minute videos of people doing absurd things in ill-fitting superhero costumes.

Perfect companion for Jodie Doctor: PewDiePie, playing himself.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
It was 25 minutes because the BBC wanted the show to die and aired it opposite Coronation Street. I had to watch that poo poo on a tiny black and white tv. :argh:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Perfect companion for Jodie Doctor: PewDiePie, playing himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMKzxKdmYA

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine being such a shitlord you want a popular show to die just because you think it isn't highbrow enough.

Now imagine you're a BBC executive with a rusty metal oar up your arse. Congrats, you've imagined the same thing twice.

^Bloody hell

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imagine the screaming and rape jokes in the inevitable Dalek episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand the appeal of PewDiePie and I don't think I ever will. What is supposed to be funny about him? :(

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't understand the appeal of PewDiePie and I don't think I ever will. What is supposed to be funny about him? :(
He's charismatic and knows how to generate fun out of nothing. Of course, it is all clearly directed at children so I guess its just subjective taste? He is awfully good at what he does though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Also, he's an internet Nazi, which is very popular these days (see also: Laci Green).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

learnincurve posted:

And wouldn't it be nice if the oppressors knew to sit down and talk right at the start as well. That speech wasn't just for bonnie, it was for Kate as well. (P.S. I'm from one of the most oppressed cultures in the world, white people stole me from my family as a baby. Gandhi got it right imo)

The oppressors don't talk at the start because the oppressors have no reason to give a poo poo if existing conditions are materially better for them. "Human rights" has never been much of a reason for people in a position of power to do anything, basically every time it's been invoked it's PR cover for something economic or martial.

This is the case in the episode as well - a new solution is only negotiated because of the threatened and actual violence done by the Zygons. Even if we take your very kind interpretation as base, the Doctor still only gets involved after it becomes a shooting war. He's around on Earth a lot at this point - why does the same thing not apply to him, especially given that he is President [edit] although I forget if it's that episode where we find it out, if so that doesn't really apply [/edit]?

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The oppressors don't talk at the start because the oppressors have no reason to give a poo poo if existing conditions are materially better for them. "Human rights" has never been much of a reason for people in a position of power to do anything, basically every time it's been invoked it's PR cover for something economic or martial.

This is the case in the episode as well - a new solution is only negotiated because of the threatened and actual violence done by the Zygons. Even if we take your very kind interpretation as base, the Doctor still only gets involved after it becomes a shooting war. He's around on Earth a lot at this point - why does the same thing not apply to him, especially given that he is President [edit] although I forget if it's that episode where we find it out, if so that doesn't really apply [/edit]?

Whether the doctor is actually the current president or not he was once, which is good enough. It comes with special powers because putting on the matrix of leadership is the time lord version of space steroids.

What those special powers are is sort of vague and dependent on how any given writer feels about the idea. So somewhere between "nothing" to "has a copy of the entire matrix locked away in his mind somewhere, with all that that implies".

Gallifrey Chronicles was an interesting book and probably completely forgotten now so I'd generally go with "nothing".

He was officially deposed before the Trial Of A Time Lord serial started because he tried pulling that card out then. Don't know if he took the title back after kicking Rassilon off world but it's possible everyone just followed him on the basis of "he's the loving doctor and a legend" if nothing else.

(he also booted the high council off world too so arguably the Time Lords no longer had an official leadership at that point)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread