Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My hottest of takes is that I've been watching all of John Simm's stuff lately and goddamn he's incredible even when his material isn't really working. But I am the sort of simple soul who's kind of delighted by things like that Scissor Sisters routine.

I can happily watch any Doctor except Four, whom I like, but find hard to get my head around. I probably just need to see more of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

This few in under the rader: BritBox is going to have a reconstructed "The Wheel in Space"

http://nerdist.com/classic-doctor-who-sdcc-panel-will-premiere-reconstructed-lost-episode/

Oh! Is that Zoe's entrance story? I am excited.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I know there's no way but God I really want Tamsin Grieg.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

1) Tamsin Grieg
2) Olivia Colman
3) Reece Shearsmith
4) Doon Mackichan
5) David Anders
6) Idris Elba
7) John Simm (yes)
8) Michelle Gomez (YES)
9) Philip Glenister
10) Rahul Kohli
11) Sam Rockwell
12) James Purefoy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Are you loving with me or not

no it's her:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Watch the first season of Broadchurch. It's amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Already a lot of sulkers answering that BBC tweet. Oh no, don't stop watching, please come back.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My niece is 11 and a huge fan and she's going to be so goddamn excited. :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

thepokey posted:

I feel like I'm in a real minority, but I can't stand Olivia Colman, so I'm glad its someone else!

I forgive you because I can't stand Tom Hanks even though he seems a really sweet guy and a good actor and everything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

:kimchi:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I've watched this show all my life and I can't even imagine how somebody could be a fan and still think,"No everything has to stay the same forever or it's not going to be any good!"

It's baffling.

They're incredibly sexist. Just really, really sexist. Poor dears.

The future is all girl after all. :d:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's true, for example I am a woman and I'm delighted, so I am easy to manipulate. Won't a man tell me what I should think?

WOMEN. KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love it when there are two companions. It adds a lot to the dynamics of the thing. Doesn't hurt that Nardole was an adorable egg man.

e: For all we know it'll be an actual decision of the Doctor's to be a woman for some internal reason this time around. The last story had him airily telling Bill that Time Lords are beyond gender biases and then the Master getting all weirded out about Missy, so who knows? I'm guessing some Time Lords have a strong preference and some don't.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NarkyBark posted:

Bring on the sexy male companions!

Maybe that's what Kris Marshall is doing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Were there people super upset about Missy?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

The Master is notably super sexist across all of his male iterations.

Like, out right misogynist levels.

So his reactions to himself as a woman are pretty much as expected.

I have got to watch more of his classic stories, I've not seen many at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

On a totally unrelated point, I think this is the first ever Doctor to have brown/hazel eyes.

Nah Tennant has huge puppydog brown eyes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I did a quick straw poll. My mum likes Hartnell, my sister likes Tennant, my friends like Eccleston and Tom Baker, and my favourite is a toss-up between Troughton and Capaldi. I hope this settles the statistical question forever. :colbert:

Tennant's the most fanciable one though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

If she was good in Broadchurch, I might have to finally check it out. It's been on my Netflix watchlist for a while.

It's really good but it's relentless.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The idea that Doctor Who is for men is really odd to me anyway. It's for families, so it's sort of for everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The newspapers tomorrow are hilarious. 'Who's That Girl?' 'Time, gentlemen, please'

And the Daily Mail choosing to freak out over the extermination of male heroes. Won't somebody think of putting a man in something? The poor dears.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Well there is the "why don't we make Miss Marple a man!!!!!111" take. That's fairly dumb.

I saw one guy all 'What about Miss Marple! And Xena! And Lara Croft! What if they were men!' apparently not realising that those characters are a little unusual already because they are women. They are archetypes that are more often male. So of course it'd be rubbish if Xena were a dude, because she would just be Better Hercules. What they really mean is 'how would you like it if we ruined YOUR thing' which, my thing is Doctor Who, and that's always been a dude so far, so I'd be okay with it?

Excuse if incoherent. Time for bed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

deathbot posted:

So, a bunch of my friends (and me!) heard the news and have become really interested in the show. I've seen all of Nine when it came out, and some of Ten. A couple of my friends haven't seen anything at all. I was thinking of streaming s01e02 The end of the world, S02e04 The girl in the fireplace, s04e01 Partners in crime and s04e07 The unicorn and the wasp since those are ones I've seen before and liked.

What fun standalone episodes would you recommend from Eleven and Twelve's run?

I really really love The Rings of Akhaten. But I love it so much I'm not really sure if it's good or not. YMMV.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

"The rest of the time they sleep in my mind, and I forget."

Possibly my favourite Troughton scene, and that's saying something considering Jamie is not in it. Well, not conscious in it. He's asleep.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Surely a decent male companion would be a good role model for boys? Rory was awesome. And if playing second fiddle isn't good enough, well - just wait a while or watch some of the old stuff, I suppose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I feel like when I remember Tennant's era being awesome I am not remembering most of season 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Plavski posted:

it's pretty horrific to think that women can't be role models for boys

Well I guess the argument then is 'why do girls need women to be represented if gender doesn't matter'. Clearly it does matter, but I feel like to be on the 'boys are losing out' side you'd have to believe either that representation doesn't matter (and I think it does) or that men and women are already equally represented so nothing needs to change (ha).

I mean when I was growing up I most wanted to be Al from Quantum Leap, but my main Doctor Who-based love was Ace. I still kind of want to be Ace.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

School Reunion makes me cry.

"You good dog."

Argh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gatiss' acting is the only thing more mediocre than his writing. Really wish he'd stop trying.

I really enjoy his acting, so I'm pleased as punch :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

marktheando posted:

Does this mean.. the Olympic dream is dead???

Christ it's worse than I remember, if that's possible.

please stop triggering me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There are plenty of nice subtle little character moments in Simm's performance, you just have to look between all the terrible ideas. They went for a Master who was a direct reflection of Tennant's Doctor and they sure got one.

e: I love them both but my taste is probably bad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone else think it's kind of dodgy that the first female Master is also the first one to start feeling emotions and crying etc?

Nah Simm-Master cried at least once I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE6lIB87VAc

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Hahaha. I love Simm's Master, but I could have picked any random clip of him and posted it here in response to this.

Hahah yeah. I love him too but holy poo poo, he blows the roof off.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

:neckbeard:

This isn't on the Netflix version. A disgrace.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I only noticed watching that about a week ago that he is audibly singing along during that sequence.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I really like the scene in End of Time part 1 where he gets captured by that guy and his daughter. I mean the episode is terrible, but the Master up to that point doesn't even know that their machine exists. So he literally sees it, comes up with a plan on the spot, goes 'gently caress it, that'll do', and then wipes out the human race, laughing like an utter maniac the whole time.

He really is just the Doctor but without any sense of morality and with the brakes completely off. Ten is constantly begging him to STOP and THINK and JUST CALM DOWN but wheeeee nah that ain't happening.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Even with all these detailed reminders I can only remember 'bus??? Desert?' Like the whole episode slipped off my brain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

It's also completely reasonable to acknowledge that something has a lot of flaws but that you don't care a bit about those flaws and enjoy it anyway. (Me, when talking about The End Of Time, for example.)

Not everything needs to be an argument. We're not a debate club, no one's going to win the Doctor Who Thread, we're just a bunch of people who enjoy (or don't, but still like talking about) a television show.

Your Mennonite pacifism disgusts me.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I didn't really like Waters of Mars, except for the Doctor going all 'I DO WHAT I WANT' and instantly getting slapped down by the universe. It's even funnier when you remember the Master deliberately built a paradox machine to tell the laws of time to go gently caress themselves and got away with it for like a year.

• Locked thread