Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The greatest thing about Hartnell's Doctor, and one that every single actor after picked up, is that he played the Doctor as the ultimate authority figure ... who's completely and totally anti-authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This few in under the rader: BritBox is going to have a reconstructed "The Wheel in Space"

http://nerdist.com/classic-doctor-who-sdcc-panel-will-premiere-reconstructed-lost-episode/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Oh! Is that Zoe's entrance story? I am excited.

Unfortunately, they've haven't clarified what they mean by "reconstructed". Do they mean animated, or do they mean just marrying the soundtrack to a progression of still images?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was in naval intelligence with Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee et al. during the war, wasn't he? I think there was an article about it when a bunch of files were declassified a couple of years ago; he reported directly to Churchill and Attlee, which is pretty cool.

It was also revealed in a DWM that he will steal Churchill's cigar butts and sell them to Americans as souvenirs.

Tom once told a story about how he'd wind up Jon. Apparently, Jon wasn't one to turn down any money, regardless of the role. So Tom, just within earshot of Jon, would say things like "I was 10,000 dollars to do this voice over role, but they wanted me there at eight in the morning. So, of course I turned them down." just to get a rise out of him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/tuckerspatch/status/883656503139459072
https://twitter.com/tuckerspatch/status/883664967198801922

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Casual Calapdi is a thing of beauty

He's such an expressive man

Kind of wish we got to see more of this Doctor

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Eccleston was born in the mid 60s though, he was the right age to see the good stuff.

He preferred sports.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like Doctor Who has a different kind of profile in Britain compared with Star Trek in America. I feel like there's a bigger and wider sense of affection for Doctor Who; no doubt a combination of its status as more of a children's programme and the smaller audience.

But compare the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who to the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek.

That maybe now, but for years the BBC tried to pretend Doctor Who never even existed. Star Trek had a animated series, 6 films, & 3 spin off shows, one of which also got 4 films, and a reboot film series.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 10, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/barryislandgirl/status/884077749131923456

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand Alexander Vlahos really wants to play the Doctor and has in fact decided how he would play the role (like Paul McGann did, basically).

Vlahos has already done Big Finish, so I'm down with this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I'm gonna have no(er) money

I used to make one or two massive BF purchases a year to cover everything I wanted. Now I have to do it on a month-by-month basis.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

n4 posted:

One can dream. Eccleston really seems to be against ever doing any Doctor Who stuff again though.

BF has said that he hasn't closed the door on working with them at some point in the future.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, she mentioned this at a convention last year

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Plavski posted:

See, I thought this was just awful. It seemed to me that Clara should be in the middle of existential despair at the sight of her Doctor turning into someone else in front of her. And instead of being shocked, she makes some weird repetition joke.

Her reactions in Deep Breath were more believable, what with her being really horribly upset that she'd lost her Doctor. But when he regenerates, she's all sarcastic jokey and it felt really out of place. Coming off the back of everything that had gone before in that episode, it was strange.

She'd just come off an adventure with three of him. I think she would be used to the idea.

Fil5000 posted:

Levine is angry because he gets no say in how Doctor Who is made these days and because people aren't constantly praising him for his contributions to the show. He doesn't really need specific things to get angry, he's just constantly enraged that loving K9 and Company never went to series, that no one wanted his Shada animation, and that no one bought Doctor in Distress. Hopefully he won't watch the show any more and then we'll never hear from him again.

Oh, I'm certain he'll be one of those people who hate watch, and spend all of time talking about how better it used to be.

Hey, for fun, let's see what the one person Ian hates more than Chibnall had to say:

https://twitter.com/archives1963/status/886624076143501312

Heh (Morris is the man who found Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, and who Levine believes is hoarding the rest of the missing eps)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 18, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Forktoss posted:

I've only just now realised that for the entirety of this conversation I've been imagining Cyber-Brig looking like this picture without even meaning to

Me too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Long coat has been standard for 10/12 doctors though hasn't it? She got to have a really good coat.

RTD said that when he told David Tennant that he wanted him to be the Doctor, Tennant's reaction was "He laughed, then swore, then said 'I want a long coat'."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I believe that changes the second Jodie appears on screen. The licence stipulates they can't do anything directly dealing with the CURRENT Doctor.

I pretty sure they'd have to renegotiate to include him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Noticed Polly in that trailer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Is that on the scene where the First's hand started glowing?

Yeah

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

cargohills posted:

That's equally true for The Harvest - which happens not to spoil the story on the cover!

Heh. It is spoiled on the cover, if you know what you're looking at. The Doctor, Ace, and Hex's face are covered with a circuitry image that BF used on their Cyberman series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Baby Sylvester!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't the bus they shipped get hosed up in the process, necessitating changes to the script AND damaging another identical bus for the night scenes in London that bookend the episode?

The best bit about the damaged bus was producer Phil Colinson freaking out about the damaged bus in Dubai, trying to justify having to pay for a second, intact bus being shipped over when RTD came over, took one look at the bus, and said, "It's like a Faraday Cage. As long as it's intact, it'll still work."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Steve Parkhouse's DWM run is the most classic one, the Voyager stories being often singled out as a high point. Grant Morrison wrote a few Sixth Doctor stories as well - the most famous one of those is probably The World Shapers, which has Six teaming up with Jamie against the Voord and the Cybermen (it was referenced in the Series 10 finale, too).

The one I want to read the most is the graphic novel "The Age of Chaos", with Sixie & Frobisher, written by Colin himself! But with all the reprints over the years, from DWM to IDW ti Titan, no one's ever reprinted that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

To get inside the head of the Doctor, Matt Smith wrote a story in which the Doctor took Einstein to Ancient Egypt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Looks like the one unfinished Doctor Who story is getting yet ANOTHER retelling:

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-news/18897-lost-doctor-who-classic-shada-to-be-bbc-worldwides-next-animation-project

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Awww, RTD is adorable.

I love listening to RTD talk about Doctor Who.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

Are you 8 foot tall?

One of my favorite RTD stories is when he tells people he worked on Doctor Who, most would look at him ask "Are you one of the monsters?"

Then again, he says he was finally able to use his height to his advantage in his job on Who in the early day when he was with the BBC Controller and the licensing department. They had all the contracts to the various licensees spread out before them, and someone brought up Big Finish. The Controller asked "Big Finish? What's that?" and RTD reached across the table, took BF's contract, and said "Don't worry about that, I'll take care of it." RTD explained that if the Controller learned that someone else was making Who at that time, he would have cancelled it then and there, and RTD didn't want that to happen.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 31, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jodie has Chris' seal of approval!

https://twitter.com/0tralala/status/893884914504015873

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

My all-time favourite Sapphire & Steel quote;

You know who also apparently didn't understand it? P.J. O'Hammond, the creator and writer of the show. That's pretty trippy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/gallifreyboi/status/895056061912293377

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

It's Sylvester McCoy's birthday today. Prepare your wallets for the inevitable Big Finish sale!

And Sophie Aldred's! And Anthony Ainley's!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

After "Twin Peaks" tonight, I'm gonna check out "The Sensorites" for the first time. I've heard they're an inspiration for the Ood, so I'm intrigued.

By the way, BritBox owns, even though it doesn't have most of the Dalek serials.

Rumor has it that BritBox is going to do recreations of the missing episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Oh man, that rules. Can't wait for "The Highlanders."

Though the rumor is it's just going to be photo reconstructions with the soundtracks, and not animation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth hasn't really aged well. It feels like it was probably exciting because of Daleks being filmed actually on location in London, but it tries to recapture a lot of the magic of The Daleks. There are things about it I love, like the Doctor just saying "I think we should pit our wits against theirs and defeat them," like that's a whole plan, out of the side of his mouth, and of course his speech at the end to Susan is wonderful. It's also a turning point for the character, because it's presented as purely selfless. Overall, though, it's just too long, the Robomen don't really work for me, and I'm not extremely interested in the rebels.

The Rescue, though, is just a good serial. There's a reason in story that the monster costume is silly. There's a reason in story for the Doctor softening up some, and it feels like growth. He's let his granddaughter go and has the urge to take care of somebody just as he discovers an insane murderer gaslighting a young woman. The story gives the impression that the Doctor knew right away and tries to slowly get Vicki to a place where she trusts him before he tells her the devastating truth. I like that there is an alien surprise when some of the natives of Dido turn out to be alive after all and exact their comeuppance. The moment when the Doctor offhandedly reveals the twist to the villain is a good one, and I like the expression of joy on his face when Vicki agrees to travel with him and he starts flipping the TARDIS controls. It's not bloated with a lot of capturing and escaping, it's got some humor, and it immediately makes us like the new companion.

David Whitaker writes some good serials.

Barbara murdered Vicki's pet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The Classic Doctors/New Monsters gimmick is cool, but I hope next volume doesn't repeat a villain. There are plenty you could play around with, hell the Silence are perfect because it's built in for the Doctor and everybody else to forget they ever met them.

They've said Vol 2 is probably going to be the last one for a while, due to a lack of new monsters to work within the format

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And it was on the US VHS release

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Beatles' appearance in "The Chase" was reused footage from an appearance on TOTP, and I believe it remains the only surviving such footage of a Beatles appearance on TOTP.

The story goes that they were originally supposed to appear in The Chase as themselves, but in make up to look like old men when they were performing, but while the Fab Four wanted to do it, their manager shot it down. The TotP footage was a concession.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

I wonder what type of games a 21st century Toymaker would play?

Turns the companion into a Tamagotchi.

The Lost Story "The Nightmare Fair" with Colin, The Toymaker had an arcade game the Doctor had to play.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wait, what? Celestial is a racist term?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't Julian Bleach's character on Sarah Jane Adventures a game master? (I genuinely can't remember.)

He was The Nightmare Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

Everyone stop what you're doing, it's a landmark anniversary. Today marks 30 years since everyone's favorite spoon-playing chessmaster, Sylvester McCoy, made his debut in the... interesting tale that was Time And The Rani.

Yes, but did he show up at someone's house to watch it?

https://twitter.com/DoctorSimeon/status/905817065893879809

• Locked thread