Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My general answer to "which Doctor is my favorite" is "which one have I seen most recently".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I am glad that the show is in for major changes, because I think it needs to do that every few years to keep fresh, but I am a little worried about Chris Chibnall, and also slightly worried that the BBC is specifically trying for "dashing young male lead." Hopefully Chibnall's "writers' room" approach works out well for the show, and hopefully they have already found someone great to play the Doctor.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of this, though I'm not as worried about Chibnall as I would have been at one time. My guess (based off his better episodes) is that we're in for a shallow but fun era of Doctor Who, and there are far worse possibilities.

On an unrelated note (I guess this is my official Hot Take for the thread), I watched all of Season 9 for the first time fairly recently (well, aside from Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar, which I watched when they first aired like seventy years ago) and I thought it all held together pretty well, even the dreaded Zygon two-parter (which I think had been built up as so thoroughly awful for so long that it was a relief to see that it was really just kind of mediocre, and it also featured my favorite performance out of Capaldi up to that point).

Season 10 was better, though, and I think that was down to the cast. (And I liked Clara). I said it in the last thread, but I think the Season 10 cast all around is the best the revival has had.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd argue 9 and 10 were both PTSD Doctors in how they allowed that experience to totally define everything they did after. 9 accepted it and became bitter, pessimistic, and staunchly anti-war. 10 tried to repress it and run from it and, when forced to deal with either the Time War or his own mortality, became childish and selfish.

And Eleven had largely dealt with it only to have his entire life be (Let's Not Have The) Time War II

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, that's kind of what I meant. I was afraid going in that it was actually going to have the sort of evil jingoistic "refugees are all just terrorists, really" message that people were (and are, I suppose) ascribing to it. And while I don't think it (especially in the first half) handled the subject with much grace, I didn't think it came across that way at all, and I think they were trying quite hard not to.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't really interpret most of that stuff that way (especially Capaldi's monologue), but it's not a good enough pair of episodes to be really worth defending either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

After The War posted:

Resurrection of the Daleks (gently caress the haters)

Resurrection is a mess, but it's the sort of mess I enjoy. Also the Daleks having to put up with a mercenary whose role appears to be to tell them "No, you idiots, THIS IS WHY YOU KEEP LOSING" will never not be funny.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

So the answer is no, he has not

Or he's made two.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I guess I meant the opening credits rather than the theme song.

That would have been hilarious.

You just reminded me of the trick they pulled with the Death in Heaven opening credits and it made me smile.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Also had a dream where the Eleventh Doctor, Missy and Rory were living together and for some reason, the Doctor had "a jar filled with the dried blood of an entire village" in his cupboard and Rory's arm had dropped off at some point and conquered the Horsehead Nebula; compared to them, Missy was the sanest one there

I could buy pretty much all of this as a mid-late Season 6 plotline, to be honest.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Speaking of, if the upcoming Christmas special is called anything but "Twelfth Night" it'll be a travesty

It's Thirteen Wonderful Lives, surely...

Naah, yours is better.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Five episodes into The Invasion and I'm having a blast. I already knew how much fun Two and Jamie are together but they're amazing in this, Vaughn is such a wonderful scene-chewing villain, and the screaming berserk Cyberman is loving terrifying.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

.....Packer... :smug:

Hahaha, I've finished it now and the comedy styling of Vaughn and Packer were my favorite part.

PACKER: Have you considered that maybe we should kill the Doctor/his friends/UNIT?

VAUGHN: Of course not, Packer, they can't possibly do anything to stop us.

PACKER: They just did something to stop us.

VAUGHN: THIS IS YOUR FAULT

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not news to anyone in this thread, I'm sure, and it's not even news to me since this was my third time listening to it...

But Spare Parts is so drat good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't ever really followed the bookies' choices that closely, but wasn't Patterson Joseph considered to be very heavily in the running for Eleven right up until Matt Smith was cast? That's a vague memory so I'm probably wrong about some/all of the details.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nobody Wants A TARDIS Full Of Bras: When Bill's laundry starts to replicate and come to life, a comical inconvenience soon turns deadly. But just what is the Nestene Consciousness up to this time?

The BBC Are Trying To Brainwash Your Children: Nardole uncovers a sinister plot to embed subliminal messages in Into The Night Garden. But who could be to blame? Guest-starring Derek Jacobi

Time Travel Is For Men And Men Only: The Cybermen have seized control of the TARDIS and hold the Doctor and Nardole prisoner in a temporal loop. Now it's up to Missy and Bill to save them, but without a time machine of their own, how can they hope to succeed?

Political Correctness Should Not Exist In Space: The Gateway Beacon is a place where, by galactic law, anyone or anything may speak its mind without fear of repercussion. But when the mysterious entity known only as Nobody No-One moves in, loose lips really will sink (space)ships. Coming Soon, from Big Finish

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Timby posted:

Pretty much. I think Eccleston and Capaldi have been the highest-profile actors thus far, and after that ... I guess Davison, due to All Creatures Great and Small? But no one's been an "everyone will recognize him on the street" level of a star.

I gather that Bill Hartnell had a pretty extensive career before Doctor Who but I don't know if he was exactly a household name as "that guy who plays soldiers".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh, and Paul McGann in the parallel universe where he didn't hurt himself playing football and actually played Sharpe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My trip down Cybermemory Lane is so far going pretty well, just about gotten through all the pre-revival stuff I had slated. (I still have part two of Human Resources to finish up.)

Some (probably entirely too spammy) thoughts brought to you by Oh God Why Am I Awake This Early:

The Tenth Planet: I haven't seen that much of William Hartnell's stuff, and it always takes me by surprise how much the Doctor can be kind of a side character as compared to later eras of the show. (Though I suspect that, in this case, Hartnell's health was more to blame than the style of the show, since I have a suspicion that him sleeping through the entire third episode may not have been the original intent of the script.) Here it's a bit more extreme than I've ever seen it, with the story almost entirely carried by the guest cast, though Ben gets a fair bit to do toward the end, and Polly gets to tearfully tell us that she's frightened. (There are more feminist triumphs in early Who than one might expect for the era, but this wasn't exactly one of them.) This was my first time seeing Ben and Polly and I can't say this really gave me much of a handle on their characters.

The Cybermen were dicks, and fantastically so. They came across as more oblivious than actively malevolent even when they were very transparently trying to murder (or convert) everyone, which is how they should be. "Haven't you got a heart?!?" "No, we took that out ages ago. I've got this lovely accordion thing instead."

I also really enjoyed the crew of the South Pole base, particularly the general (even after he went completely unhinged), and particularly the way he had No Time For The Doctor's Nonsense. (A bit of a contrast from the way that later Doctors could wander onto a military base and be running the place within five minutes.) And the ten minutes or so that the Doctor was actually in the story and thinking rings around everyone were quite fun.

The Invasion: I already said some things about this, but I enjoyed it immensely. It was a story of great duos; the Doctor and Jamie, Vaughn and Packer, Zoe and Isobel in particular. By the time the Cybermen actually show up, though, they're a bit lame and I feel like they're too easily defeated (though I suppose that making them an even more credible threat would have required expanding this beyond eight episodes, which feels a bit excessive). Exceptions: the screaming berserk Cyberman that was the test subject for Vaughn's emotion ray.

The Blue Tooth: My first Companion Chronicle. I've always liked Liz Shaw and this did nothing to dissuade me from that. I thought it could have used a bit more denouement at the end, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this, and the "twist" that the "Cybermen" were just some humans who'd been accidentally converted and had no real idea what they were doing beyond WE MUST SURVIVE was kind of interesting.

Revenge Of The Cybermen: So that's where HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE came from. (Though "Harry, did you make the rocks fall?" was possibly even funnier.) God, I love Tom Baker. (Poor Harry though, it's not like he could have known that the Doctor's harness was rigged to explode if it were removed.) Sarah Jane was great as always.

You'd think someone would have told the Vogans at some point that the gold their planet was made out of was lethal to the Cybermen so they could have, you know, made weapons out of it. The Cybermen were in full "excellent" mode at this point, and and seemed shamefully indistinguishable from any other would-be galaxy-conquering aliens.

Spare Parts: Oh, what else is there even to say. The best Cybermen story by a considerable margin, though World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls gives it a run for its money. (Speaking of, I don't see any reason they'd be incompatible; the colony ship from World could easily have been populated from a different Mondasian city, since I don't gather they had much contact with each other there at the end.)

Attack Of The Cybermen: Lytton was the best thing about Resurrection of the Daleks and he's probably the best thing about this episode too. I hadn't realized Eric Saward was still the script editor at this point until the end credits; if I had, I'd probably not have been quite as surprised by everyone dying horrible pointless deaths at the end.

Peri's tentative attempts to find out if the Doctor was still a violent crazy person were both interesting and a little disturbing.

I'll have thoughts on The Harvest and Human Resources later, but I think I've worked through that whole "it's 3:30 so NATURALLY it's time to be awake" thing I had going on earlier so that's it for now zzzzzzzz

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No lie, A Wrinkle In Time may be my favorite book from childhood and I reeeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy want this to be good. (Trailer has got my hopes way up.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

God I love Invasion. The way Packer (:smug:) just completely falls apart by the end as the Doctor and his companions destroy his life... :allears:

He just wanted to indiscriminately murder anyone who annoyed him, is that so much to ask?!?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I never read A Wrinkle in Time. Any good?

I last reread it about a year ago, and I thought it held up wonderfully. If you're not allergic to religious themes in your science fiction (which are rather less overt than, say, the Narnia books), it's a genuine classic. (It probably is even if you are.)

I think a lot of the things I like about Doctor Who are things it shares, if that helps.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The only thing that brings me down about this is that I wish Verity Lambert had lived to see it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I really want the regeneration to happen while Twelve is in the middle of saving Gallifrey in Day of the Doctor so Thirteen will have participated in the 50th Anniversary story. Also to enrage the nerds even more.

I kind of hope that we'd get to see 10, 11 & War show up to recruit both One and Twelve for that mission. Then I remember that John Hurt's no longer with us. :smith:

"No sir, *all thirteen*! Wait, no, fourteen...wait..."

"Just...you can stop now."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On a completely unrelated topic, what's the best Pertwee-era episode featuring the Master that isn't The Claws of Axos? (Which I'm only discounting because I've seen it.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stabbatical posted:

Guess I'm more in line with Davison's view. It seems weird to me to enjoy good news specifically because it pisses off the right people, ranging from those who are a bit fuddy-duddy to even the outright nasty. It's just TV. Seems better to be happy about the news because they cast a good actress and things will be a fresher and newer.

I guess when "the right people" are the same people who've been making other peoples' lives miserable (at least the ones doing it intentionally or at least knowingly) for years and years, I can't begrudge anyone a little bit of "yes, in fact we ARE coming for every piece of popular media you enjoy, resistance is futile, YOUR FAVORITE TV AND MOVIE AND VIDEO GAME AND COMIC CHARACTERS WILL BE LIKE USZZZZZZ" schadenfreude.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

TOM BAKER: [Eating a sandwich, messily dripping it all over the microphone while looking pointedly at Nick Briggs and winking] I'm going to invent some of these lines instead of reading what's on the page.

Nicholas Briggs: "Now, Chris, you can either record these lines, or I can leave Tom here with you for a few days. How's the old liquor cabinet holding up?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Joanna Lumley and Jodie Whittaker are the Doctor in 2:13

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I believe in the freedom on the press, but now I have a belief in tarring, feathering, and the pillory.

I'm just flat out disgusted by that article. How the hell would I explain something like that to my stepdaughter if she asked me about it, beyond "People can be bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling?"

We all have to learn about Rupert Murdoch/The Daily Mail sooner or later.

But yeah, it's thoroughly gross. Not that it is (or should be) the least bit scandalous that a professional actress has done a nude scene or three (though there are probably conversations to be had, probably not here, about how pretty much every woman who pursues a serious acting career more or less has to do one sooner or later) but it's super obvious what the Sun and the Mail were doing, and it's super obvious why.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

I will add two 8th Doctor stories that are worthy of your attention too

Minuet In Hell
A terrifying journey into a satanic coven.

Creed of the Kromon.
Very affecting body horror, it will have an definite effect on you.

Definitely some of the best stories that Big Finish have to offer.

Brilliant stories on a parallel with such masterpieces as The Twin Dilemma and Voyage of the Damned.

(Everyone should probably listen to Minuet In Hell once. It's the only way to understand...)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The BBC tweeted earlier that Jodie Whittaker isn't on Twitter. Which is almost certainly for the best.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That or Talons

Mind you, Talons did at least have one of the horrific racist Chinese caricature villains drily say "Of course, we all look the same to you".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, how dare that rascal Davies take any inspiration at all from one of the most successful genre television shows of the past 30 years?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up, thus dragging the rest of the episode down in the process

Fingers crossed it's a stop-off on his farewell tour and the Doctor doesn't get all hung up on her like Rose or Clara

To be honest, I'd be more upset if the Doctor died/regenerated without knowing that Bill was all right.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stabbatical posted:

Why not? Has Chibnell or Gatiss said that Gatiss won't be writing any more episodes?

It's probably all going to be down to how Chibnall's "writers' room" approach works out whether there are many guest writers during his time on the show, though I'd be surprised if there were none.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Astroman posted:

I agree. I think he's being unfairly bashed.

I think Davison is coming across as someone who isn't personally thrilled about this, but who also knows he's wrong, so he's doing his best to be supportive. There are certainly worse attitudes to have.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Reveal that the Brigadier was a time lord all along and bring back all twelve thirteen of them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I wish they'd had a few Tomb/Invasion/Earthshock ones roaming around in the background.

Ideally we'd have seen a vast assortment of Cybermen as they kept getting reinforced by more advanced troops that had been designed in the years since they left the bottom of the ship ten minutes ago.

But with a finite costuming budget, I'm pretty pleased with what we got.

Also good christ is that first concept design horrible. (In that it evokes horror, not because it's bad.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

And don't forget the mention of the Corsair, back in 11's run.

Or, for that matter, The Curse of Fatal Death. Which sure, was a comedy sketch, but I remember Moffat in the making of feature saying he didn't see any reason it couldn't happen canonically too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Harvest: Second time listening to it. I enjoy Hex a lot, and I also enjoy the Doctor's utter exasperation at the way he sensibly curls up into a little ball every time something weird happens. As Cybermen plans go, "get the humans to convert themselves" has a certain amount of novelty, and I enjoy the Cyberleader's wonder at having emotions and physical sensations again a lot.

Human Resources: Hahahahaha, I love it. I haven't really listened to the Eighth Doctor Adventures line before, so a lot of the revelations about Lucie were lost on me, but okay, quite often I find that stories with a big clever high concept (weaponized corporate culture in this case) try to get by on just having a big clever high concept and the whole exercise just ends up feeling a bit hollow in the end. (Some of Robert Shearman's work hits me this way, for example. Not all, but some.) I bring that up because Human Resources isn't that way at all. The characterization and storytelling is up to par with any of the best stories, and that makes all the difference. And also, while I knew going in that the Cybermen were involved, how they were involved was a genuine surprise, and a pleasant one.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances: Not a Cybermen story at all, but it is a story about out of control technology trying to preserve life at any cost and doing a generally rubbish job of it. It's also the best Ninth Doctor story by a considerable margin, so any excuse to watch it, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody please listen to Human Resources!

In the place of an empty quotation, I am writing these words.

• Locked thread