Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget the Doctor's big poo poo speech at the end where he basically tells people who don't like how they're being treated to shut up and take their lumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Be fair he attempted the confusing metaphor and the consent thing was very much bullshit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The BBC looked at his proposal for 500 practical Dalek models each with a different colour scheme and greebling to signify their rank, the number of life forms exterminated and their last century of clan history and shitcanned it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

On the subject of winding up Jon Pertwee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EibXGG99Hmk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Just call them sexists. "Socially conservative" sounds way too nice haha.

It's not just sexism though, like think about any right-wing perspective on a social issue, or even a few economic ones, and the Doctor has probably come out against it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Counter counterpoint: get to poo poo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I am 100% certain we will see a Lady Holmes within about 20 years, either as a full gender-swap version or a series with Holmes' daughter. We're halfway there with Elementary having a female Watson.

It'd be a show that could really work well in the late 1800s/early 1900s setting too with Lady Holmes having to deal with chauvinist crap all the time, using the fact that men don't expect a woman to be clever or a detective against them, etc. I also would get a nice chuckle if after all we know about Holmes elaborate disguises in the books and in various film and T.V. depictions she literally changes nothing about her appearance except wearing a maid uniform and gets full covert spy access to a target.

How soon we forget Shirley Holmes.

(I only know about Shirley Holmes because of HBomberguy's Sherlock video)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pro cat though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't the Matrix of Leadership a Transformers thing?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Plavski posted:

A lot of twelve's regeneration has been about being a warrior under duress. He hates pink cos he's a soldier, he won't take that woman from into the dalek cos she's a soldier, Missy giving him an army to command, etc. He spends a lot of time questioning his actions and the violence he has to do. So I can see the truce being a big thing for him - two sides in a war who find a moment of peace amongst the horrific carnage. I imagine it'll come down to a speech by the Doctor exhorting that peace is possible, you just have to want it. And then he'll finally find peace within himself and allow change to happen.

I mean, my imaginary plot summary there sounds logical, but not particularly interesting. Hopefully the professionals come up with something better :D

That was the theme of his first season and it was stupid, especially with the resolution being "no I'm alright after all never mind".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The theme of the second season was terrible adventures in which the Doctor occasionally said "like a Hybrid", now I took that to mean he was describing other things as possibly being the Hybrid but perhaps you're postulating that he was doing his own take on 'like a boss'?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

marktheando posted:

And the Toclafame are a genuinely good and creepy concept for a villain.

Yes, the Cybermen are a genuinely good and creepy concept for a villain.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So who are we roughing up, Phillip Hammond, Boris Johnson

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The bit where they somehow convinced their brother that he was a robot was a tad confusing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Also, the converse of the companion scale is that Ace was totally a lesbian and the best companion ever. :colbert:

I think we can find several novels written by very sweaty men to contradict that!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't Clara literally call him a stick insect in that episode too? If it had been less subtle I'd have said it was deliberate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's more of an abortion reference than a metaphor really, isn't it. It's the old conservative white man equivalent of Dr Mysterio, where everything is a shout out to Superman but it doesn't correspond especially well or work on its own merits, and you can sort of see what it's going for but it's difficult to work out exactly how.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ok but it's still an attempt at a one for one remake of that one film by noted idiot Steven Moffat who fucks it all up

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What if the ghostbusters in the reboot were actually big fans of ghostbusters the movie but then sort of accidentally stumbled into recreating all the events of the original but worse and it was never even acknowledged that that was what happened

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What if star wars 7 just recreated pretty much every plot beat from the original but worse and starred characters who knew about the events of the old ones and even brought back some of the old characters but nobody ever pointed out the similarities

Wait maybe that's a bad hypothetical

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Deal with the devil huh? Why not literal? Bring back the Beast! Have the Monks as his servants, make the temple a bit more demonic. Have the setup be that the Monks have foreseen the end of days (the Doom Bacteria) and called in their master to claim his due. The Doctor needs Missy's help to carry out the plan whose result we saw in The Satan Pit. Didn't that episode say the Doctor did that?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could have him do some of the poo poo like House from The Doctor's Wife, or take a cue from Labyrinth with the nightmarish set pieces that cheat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait DS9 already solved this problem. Move along home...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes. http://www.rsdb.org/slur/celestial

Not a super bad one, just evoking the exotic mysteriousness of those inscrutable orientals.

edit: of course it also means heavenly. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/celestial

Context matters. It's okay to have a chink in your armor, but not to call someone a chink. Maybe when the Celestial Toymaker was made it was supposed to be a sort of naughty pun, where it was both an otherworldly toymaker and a chinese toymaker.

So if he's not in yellowface and dressed like a Mandarin it should be fine?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Both Rassilons are appropriate to their role. Moffat's Rassilon got up that morning and chose to wear those heavy, uncomfortable shoulder pads, and they're weighing him down. He's literally weighed down by his mistakes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I want more clumsily-handled issues by Harness; he's only covered abortion and immigration in a tone-deaf fashion, there's plenty more out there waiting! :suicide:

how quickly we forget "those scientist types, what"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

...ish is good. Ish.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, now that's how you tarnish a legacy!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

All I care is that I can cosplay it capably.

You'll need a lot of cardboard

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I relistened to ...Ish yesterday and good golly is it a delight. A real celebration of the English language. Almost every line is some sort of play on words, which I really appreciate, and the antagonist is something only Doctor Who could get away with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure Jodie will be great but god drat do I wish he was staying.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Plavski posted:

Are Cybermen people? Cos he killed a fair few of them in his last stand.

Only if they used to be named characters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For a while there it looked like we wouldn't have to imagine it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bought the first Tenth Doctor volume and wow, it was like diving right back into the mid 2000s. Almost got shivers from that first "Donna, we're on!"

• Locked thread