Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Series 8 was better than series 10, and Capaldi's Doctor was more interesting then. Not that series 10 is bad by any means, or that he isn't interesting in it. It's no insult to say "the second best series is better than this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I rewatched the whole revival right as the last series was about to start, it was p good fun. I even had time to re-rewatch all the Capaldi episodes in time for The Doctor Falls

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That's a good point. Thinking about it, I'd probably play early Twelve's personality with later Twelve's hoodie/velvet jacket combo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget every Zygon shown being heinously terrorist-y because they hate being British and being themselves means THEY WAGE WAR BECAUSE REASONS!

The nature of the genre means the heroes will mostly be interacting with the villains, but they did throw in that nice guy zygon who's just a victim in all this.

"The nature of the genre" really means that the story was doomed to fail, sadly. It can't be anything but pro-assimilation because it's a tv show with a status quo; like Chris Chibnall's abominable silurian episodes you can't end with the monsters and humans making peace together in a story set in an analogue of the real world, that'd be more unrealistic than the moon being an egg or a 300 foot tall tyrannosaurus. The Zygons' grievance is just but there's no way for the show to meaningfully address it, which it kind of cops to- exposing the Zygons means the death of the Zygons. That's both Bonnie's problem and her plan. The end result is a bit gloomy, which is the only way a story like this could end, really. Next time set it on an alien planet where you can have a happy ending

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

So the answer is no, he has not

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know it would have reused the joke from Death in Heaven but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

I say reusing the joke from Death In Heaven is why it would have been great, the two-parter is full of callbacks so why not that one

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

This isn't relevant to anything but I just happened upon this interview with Steven Moffat about Extremis: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-20/doctor-who-exclusive-steven-moffat-reveals-the-secrets-of-extremis

And in the middle of it he's just casually tossing out killer story ideas that I'm sad I won't get to see

quote:

Mulkern: Confession time. One point in Extremis still puzzles me. Nardole says he’s followed the Doctor from Darillium on the express orders of his late wife River Song – but how has Nardole come by her diary? After River died in the 2008 two-parter Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, David Tennant’s Doctor left her diary behind in the Library.

Moffat: Short answer: you can always get a book out of a library.
Slightly longer answer: the Tenth Doctor had no choice but leave it there – it was full of incendiary information about his future. But once that future was lived, he’d have to get it back some time. He couldn’t leave all that confidential stuff lying around in a Vashta Nerada-infested library, could he? So one day Nardole got it for him. (Actually, there’s a whole story in my head about this, but not one I’ll ever get to write now. The last time he sees River – it’s terribly sad.)

This unseen offscreen story neatly resolves what I thought was a plot hole between Doctor Mysterio and series 10: Why are the Doctor and Nardole swanning around New York when they've got a vault to guard? Or, if this is pre-vault, when did River give Nardole permission to kick the Doctor's arse? Now it fits: after Doctor Mysterio Nardole went to the Library and met River, then took the diary and followed the Doctor to the murderer planet, or whatever it was.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 11, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man I really love "Just leave me." "OK, right then, I will."

E:

Journey's End posted:

DOCTOR: Donna. Oh, Donna Noble. I am so sorry. But we had the best of times.
DONNA: No.
DOCTOR: The best. Goodbye.
DONNA: No, no, no. Please. Please. No. No.

The End Of Time posted:

WILF: No really, just leave me. I'm an old man, Doctor. I've had my time.
DOCTOR: Well, exactly. Look at you. Not remotely important. But me? I could do so much more. So much more! But this is what I get. My reward. And it's not fair! Oh. Oh. I've lived too long.
WILF: No. No, no, please, please don't. No, don't! Please don't! Please!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 11, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The regeneration cheat isn't even a cheat, the Doctor redirecting the energy or whatever directly leads to Donna saving the day. I don't necessarily like Rose getting her own Doctor but it all wraps up neatly, and I love a good neatly-wrapped-up story.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It still baffles me a bit that they called the first part "The End Of Time Part One" instead of "The Master Race"

Speaking of, if the upcoming Christmas special is called anything but "Twelfth Night" it'll be a travesty

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

apparently today was Peter Capaldi's last day filming. I'm going to miss seeing how much more insane his hair can get

https://twitter.com/AdamOrford1/status/884469127620022273

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I didn't realise until now that I wanted an Alan Davies Doctor. The Doctor's Iconic Duffel Coat

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Timby posted:

Neither Capaldi nor Smith had worked with Moffat before, though, right? The only one that would apply to would be Tennant, because he and Davies worked together on Casanova and Davies wanted him before the BBC gave him Eccleston.

It would also apply to Eccleston, he was in RTD's Second Coming miniseries

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If I disapprove of the next actor to portray the main character of a children's show, I will commit heinous and astonishing violence.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The BBC schedule looks like:

13:00
Wimbledon
2017, Men's Final Build-Up
View Programme information
13:50
Wimbledon
2017, Men's Final
View Programme information
EVENING

18:30
BBC Weekend News
16/07/2017

So presumably some time prior to 18:30 (13.30 EST) unless they're announcing it during the news, which would be mental.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I had her mixed up in my head with Jodie Marsh, which would have been an unexpected choice

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Maybe that's what Kris Marshall is doing.

Oh gently caress. It's far from being all over!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

TinTower posted:

She's got etheric beam locators!

(Also, Lumley was the first Thirteenth Doctor and she was a woman too!)

Curse Of Fatal Death also featured the Doctor dying for good before unexplained sci-fi magic triggered another regeneration. Moffat going out as he came in ftw

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think I've heard it most for Capaldi to be honest, in the sense of being a fantastic Doctor let down by terrible scripts.
Which is weird because Capaldi's run has been more consistent than Smith's, and had some of Moffat's strongest writing. Deep Breath didn't start very well and I guess that bad first impression stayed with people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Series 9's problem was that if a two-parter isn't good that's twice as bad as a one-parter not being good. So the first story happening to be one of Steven Moffat's worst ones and then the second story being by Toby Whithouse, well, that's four weeks down the drain already.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Don't forget The Eleventh Hour, which has a bit of arc stuff but is mainly bloody good fun, and A Christmas Carol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, Last Christmas is definitely not standalone or it'd be near the top of my list

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

THE DOCTOR[in not eating a sandwich voice]:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

n4 posted:

I just rewatched the 11 -> 12 regeneration scene today and Capaldi's crazed stare immediately after regenerating is amazing. I love his expressions

https://youtu.be/4F84WapAH7M

Ha, "Of your kidneys." It's easy to forget how good Jenna Coleman is at deadpan because she's also good at widening her eyes to Sonic The Hedgehog size and you wouldn't think they'd go together. And "do you happen to know how to fly this thing" is a wonderful ending line. Remember when it caused speculation that there'd be a season-long amnesia plot?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It looked like he'd been trying to hold it off since the rooftop, yeah

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

And what about Missy's "are you okay?" several episodes earlier.

Like looking at this season in retrospect, the Doctor had gotten old again...he seems to have been in semi-retirement, guarding the vault, for hundreds of years. Even for a Time Lord, it might have been a long time for him. He was probably getting close to dying of old age even without the Cyberman shock.

I wondered about that at the time, that and what happened to the Tardis never really got followed up on did they. I guess the Tardis just malfunctioned and that was why Missy was fixing it the next episode?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I dont think the loving tribute was that he lives on as a Cyberman, more that even with a clone of his consciousness downloaded into a gruesome robot body the old chap mucks in and helps out. If it was intended as a loving tribute at all, I haven't really read any behind the scenes stuff about the episode

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Astroman posted:

I wonder what Mad Larry thinks of all this...

https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/887038694112329728

Well, he's actually all for a female Doctor! Too bad Russell T Davies Stephen Moffat Chris Chibnall Anyone Except Lawrence Miles will ruin it if they are the showrunner! :v:

Ok, a) she's incarnation number 15, b) isn't Chibnall rumoured to be doing a "writers room" thing where the show runner doesn't really write much of anything himself? Could be great if they get the likes of Gareth Roberts and Jamie Mathieson in there

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Re: earlier post, Capaldi stories which aren't that fast-paced or flashy and someone who tapped out at The War Games might be able to get into:

Listen (could be considered to have no pace at all since there is no monster or danger in the episode)
The Caretaker (first half is a "dating two people at once" style sitcom, which might be a selling point or a deal breaker)
Last Christmas (technically a sequel episode to Dark Water/Death In Heaven, which are excellent but DIH probably has too much noise and CGI to be on this list)
Under The Lake/Before The Flood (I hated these but old school fans seem to like them)
Heaven Sent (best episode of the series, technically part 2 of 3 but fairly comfortably standalone)
The Pilot (designed as a jumping-on point for new viewers, slow start and character focused, monster doesn't even show up until halfway through)
Extremis (technically part 1 of 3, skip the other 2 parts and just assume the Doctor wins)
World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls (big CGI finale but almost all buildup and quiet moments before that)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wish he'd remembered not to wear it ever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

An outfit you can't really take seriously is kind of a Doctor tradition as well

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When I rewatched earlier this year series 2 really felt like a chore to get through

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It wouldn't have fit at all in Deep Breath. His speech in that episode was great though, and it's bizarre when people think his character wasn't worked out until his third series or whatever because it was all there right from the start.

quote:

Those people down there. They're never small to me. Don't make assumptions about how far I will go to protect them, because I've already come a very long way. And unlike you, I don't expect to reach the promised land. You realise, of course, one of us is lying about our basic programming. And I think we both know who that is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

President of Earth

Peter Harness really seems to like the idea of the Doctor getting made president of Earth during an alien crisis, after Moffat's Death In Heaven introduced the idea he wrote two stories and both of them made the Doctor President. I don't think a trying even came of it in the Zygon episodes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

This quote was probably mainly intended to apply to boys, but these days, with female action stars getting in on the fighting, it's probably more relevant than it's ever been:

quote:

It's hard to talk about the importance of an imaginary hero. But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves. History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be. And a lot of our heroes depress me. But when they made this particular hero, they didn't give him a gun--they gave him a screwdriver to fix things. They didn't give him a tank or a warship or an x-wing fighter--they gave him a box from which you can call for help. And they didn't give him a superpower or pointy ears or a heat-ray--they gave him an extra HEART. They gave him two hearts! And that's an extraordinary thing. There will never come a time when we don't need a hero like the Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up

Hell Bent was Clara's ending :confused:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A fun line from Tom Baker's first episode by the way:

quote:

You may be A doctor, but I am THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I'd argue it was Face the Raven, but everyone is welcome to their opinions and trying to correct them is a waste of time
Depends, really. The very end is the end of Face The Raven, but the last the audience sees of her is Hell Bent. Sort of like Pulp Fiction or Memento

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If I don't like a story it doesn't have a theme. bwahaha.

• Locked thread