Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I was just watching this again. RTD can really write when he wants to, but really, Tennant just acts the gently caress out of it. A quick refresher for those who, like me, haven't watched any Tennant stuff in yonks, and a lovely chance to hear another "good-o" in a finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSK1APQu6K4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Bringing back Danny Pink as the Doctor would be lovely and ironic. But that's a decidedly Moffat idea, so it won't happen.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I knew Roach had done Blindspot. I have no loving idea how I forgot that Kaluuya was in Get Out.

Yeah, Tealeaf has done well for himself.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I don't think this is likely, but if I try to think out what sort of Doctor reveal they could have that warrants this level of secrecy while also being totally worth it, this is a pretty big one. He would make an amazing Doctor, too, I could see him being very Eccleston in some really fun ways.

The worst part about all this Doctor casting speculation is that it's just going to leave us all disappointed. It's like how horror movies are at their scariest before the monster appears, because your brain knows what will scare you; you know better than anyone else what kind of Doctor you want to see.

I wasn't disappointed by the casting of Peter Capaldi :shrug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

the tardis wiki is loving weird sometimes

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

On the other hand, Craig has managed to avoid having a comedy American sherrif in any of his films so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_%26_Aliens

close enough

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I'm fairly sure Kilroy-Silk went off the deep end long before Brexit was a glint in Sir James Goldsmith's eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GUE93Yd20

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

After the Wombledon men's final

So it's guaranteed to be a man, I mean why have a female doctor show up after the MEN'S final?

:thunk:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Whoever it is, I hope there's a long drawn out plotline involving the valeyard that won't be boring at all.

Also, it'll be Tom Hughes

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

I just heard from an Extremely Trustworthy Source that the only possible option for the next Doctor will be Brian Blessed.

that tallies with the "get someone sexy for tumblr" rumour, so i'm on board

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/886602754050977792

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Jodie Whittaker

Sure

I really liked her in Attack the Block, so cool

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/garwboy/status/886606979283791872

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

McDragon posted:

I'm glad I didn't have to sit through some awful announcement show BS, they just went and did it. I apologies, Beeb

The last one was so cringely awful I'm sure it traveled through time itself to stop the future ones being shown

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

She's great in Attack the Block which is also a great film with a great director.

And a great other cast - Finn from Force Awakens and Father Christmas himself, Nick Frost

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This explains why Netflix has a big old Black Mirror splash running right now

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/pointlesslettrs/status/886631391458447360

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

I am excited by the choice for the new Dr. Who

I also continue to be baffled by what socially conservative fans are actually getting out of the show

on other planets, women might not exist

also, when the doctor goes back in time, women are back in their proper place

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

He's also a grandfather

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Forktoss posted:

Incredibly, incredibly exciting news. I can't wait to see what she'll do with the role. I'll probably have to check out Attack the Block while waiting.

One of the best things about this casting is all the people going to watch Attack the Block. It's very good

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

One sad thing is that Jodie will have to "prove" herself with her first episode. People will be "breathing a sigh of relief" when a woman can actually handle acting in a kid sci-fi show. People will be eagerly clutching their pearls when a professional actress holds up a plastic stick that's supposed to be a screwdriver and pretends to be in a time machine for the entertainment of children and manchildren alike. "Oh, she just nailed it. She got it perfect, how wonderful. It's a shame the script let her down, but oh she's just great isn't she? Phew."

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Manglewood/status/886831261737766917

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Read the whole thing in his voice. Colin rules.

I read the whole thing in Christopher Biggins' voice ;)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the TARDIS is a man now

don't you dare ever imagine the TARDIS isn't Suranne Jones. i refuse to exist in such a reality #notmytardis

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

This popped up on my youtubes and I enjoyed it more than I normally enjoy these sorts of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augxOAiskEY

There've been a lot of good performances, but this, if anything, just hammers home how Capaldi has been staggeringly amazing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Hey what the gently caress, when did Big Finish start putting stuff up on Spotify?

Ages ago. Their selection is pretty limited, but there are some good early ones on there for sure.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Ha, "Of your kidneys." It's easy to forget how good Jenna Coleman is at deadpan because she's also good at widening her eyes to Sonic The Hedgehog size and you wouldn't think they'd go together.

See, I thought this was just awful. It seemed to me that Clara should be in the middle of existential despair at the sight of her Doctor turning into someone else in front of her. And instead of being shocked, she makes some weird repetition joke.

Her reactions in Deep Breath were more believable, what with her being really horribly upset that she'd lost her Doctor. But when he regenerates, she's all sarcastic jokey and it felt really out of place. Coming off the back of everything that had gone before in that episode, it was strange.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

If I wanted to give Big Finish a try, what on Spotify would be the best place to start? Or is this as dangerous a question to ask as "Where should I start watching Doctor Who?"

They have some of my very favourites on there:

The Wrath of the Iceni - Fourth Doctor
Phantasmagoria, Loup-Garoux, Spare Parts - Fifth Doctor
Jubilee, Davros, The One Doctor, The Holy Terror - Sixth Doctor
The Fires of Vulcan - Seventh Doctor
Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight - Eighth Doctor

Honestly, you can pick any of them. Phantasmagoria is the earliest one, and written by Mark Gatiss. It's Turlough and The Fifth doing oldy-worldy things and it's lovely. To my ears, Deep Breath was based a lot on it. But they're all of really high quality. Just go Storm Warning then Chimes of Midnight when you hit Eight.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What specifically caused Twelve to start regenerating? Was it getting shocked by a Cyberman on the rooftop or was it the explosions he caused to stop the rest of the Cybermen or both?

He was doing a Luke Skywalker "I'll hold my hand up in the air for no reason and get shot" thing and got blasted by a Cyberman. That pushed him over the edge, but he'd been getting beaten up for a while.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

And what about Missy's "are you okay?" several episodes earlier.

Like looking at this season in retrospect, the Doctor had gotten old again...he seems to have been in semi-retirement, guarding the vault, for hundreds of years. Even for a Time Lord, it might have been a long time for him. He was probably getting close to dying of old age even without the Cyberman shock.

he's also snuck off on hundreds, if not thousands of adventures with a whole host of new companions. he's saved the universe dozens of times and defeated every one of his classic enemies in a variety of new and exciting ways. he's also joined up with old versions of himself and visited old companions for another adventure or two.

hasn't he, Big Finish?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

After The War posted:

Do they have Urgent Calls? It's still my go-to for starting people out on both the audio format and Six worship?

Plus, it's short.

spotify list:

Main range 1- 50
5 4th doctor adventures
7 8th doctor adventures
8 lost stories
dalek empire season 1 & 2
10 destiny of the doctor
3 unit
2 jago & litefoot
3 graceless
7 iris wildthyme
3 bernice summerfield
2 counter-measures
1 short trip
unit: dominion
4 companion chronicles
1 series Cyberman
1 series I, Davros
2 stageplays

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Someone call Tilda Swinton

She was my favourite in the role guessing game. Not because she'd do it - she wouldn't, she's a massive Hollywood success - but because she'd ramp the "alien" up to eleventy-stupid and it would be wonderful.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SLASH weeping angels *crowd goes wild*

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

"I am as funny as Mel Brooks" is something no youtuber has the right to say

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

it's pretty horrific to think that women can't be role models for boys

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gatiss getting a final trip around the Tardis is a nice reward for the years of work he's done for the show. I can't imagine he'll be working more in Chibnell's era, so I'm happy for him

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Stabbatical posted:

Why not? Has Chibnell or Gatiss said that Gatiss won't be writing any more episodes?

He said he hopes he will but he has no idea. Chibnell hasn't talked to him about anything and he says that chibnell has an entirely new writing team which he's not involved with.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

i hope this christmas special goes out of its way to resolve the mawdryn undead paradox

like, i hope the entire episode is about that. they all just sit around a table and start hashing things out on a blackboard. then pearl mackie comes in, sits down, and starts coming up with out of the box suggestions for the last half. then everyone finally figures it out and pearl goes away with her water buddy again and the doctor regenerates, having made peace with the biggest issue in his existence

and just before he does, he'll turn to the camera and say: also, i didn't really regenerate in my second life when i was supposed to, instead i just went and hung out with jamie some more. it was pretty fun actually. oh, and i don't want to go etc.

regenerates

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

marktheando posted:

The Christmas truce is a good setting, as long as they don't have the truce caused by alien shenanigans or the Doctor making a speech. That would be very bad.

A lot of twelve's regeneration has been about being a warrior under duress. He hates pink cos he's a soldier, he won't take that woman from into the dalek cos she's a soldier, Missy giving him an army to command, etc. He spends a lot of time questioning his actions and the violence he has to do. So I can see the truce being a big thing for him - two sides in a war who find a moment of peace amongst the horrific carnage. I imagine it'll come down to a speech by the Doctor exhorting that peace is possible, you just have to want it. And then he'll finally find peace within himself and allow change to happen.

I mean, my imaginary plot summary there sounds logical, but not particularly interesting. Hopefully the professionals come up with something better :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dabir posted:

That was the theme of his first season and it was stupid, especially with the resolution being "no I'm alright after all never mind".

well the theme of the second was seemingly that he was a true destined warrior, born and bred for violence and the third was that maybe someone who is all bad can be made good again

it seems like we're seeing someone go through survivor's guilt due to massive grief. denial, anger, bargaining etc.

"am i a good man?"

for someone who has been a warrior for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, twelve seems to be about reflection and reconciliation. and if there was ever a war about reflection, guilt, grief and tragedy, it was ww1.

maybe he'll finish with a poem

• Locked thread