Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Get back to work bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

vaginal facsimile posted:

Get back to work bitch

my deadline's not until thursday and since I padded my work estimate by like 60% I have plenty of time for shitposting

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i leave all my time estimates in jira blank so its like a schrödinger's cat thing if it gets done or not.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
joke's on you op, i don't have a project manager

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i leave all my time estimates in jira blank so its like a schrödinger's cat thing if it gets done or not.

i actually did these for a while and i was the only one and i realised nobody read them

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

jira is pretty poo poo btw

burning swine
May 26, 2004

guesstimate how long the task will take, double it, then add 6 months

works errytime

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol the project managers work for me. better not let me find who u are chump

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

jira is pretty poo poo btw

eh, jira as a piece of software is pretty ok but your experience really depends on if someone non-lovely set it up. also it's reflection of your companies development process so be sure to ask "tell me about your jira" in interviews.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
jira is not the greatest, but it's also far from the worst. it does about eleventy billion things halfway ok, and isn't particularly great for any of them.

if you think jira actually sucks for real, you have not used the horrible enterprise products it replaced: remedy, unicenter servicedesk, peoplesoft helpdesk, etc

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
instead of a jira we just download the PM's google sheets template and fill in progress manually

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is version one as awful as I've heard? I think my team is going to try to use it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jira is pretty good and highly customizable, but it doesn't replace the need for someone managing projects and understanding resource constraints.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

pram
Jun 10, 2001
let me make a gantt chart and create some epics

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

pram posted:

please stop doxxing my workday

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
gotta link those epics to themes too, it's kind of a craft you see

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

pls see the user story (its a photo of my balls)

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
current job is p good about "if it's not jira it's not sanctioned work, gently caress you"
which saves a lot of paper-trail creatin' idiot emailing

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jira is not the greatest, but it's also far from the worst. it does about eleventy billion things halfway ok, and isn't particularly great for any of them.

if you think jira actually sucks for real, you have not used the horrible enterprise products it replaced: remedy, unicenter servicedesk, peoplesoft helpdesk, etc

i had to build an integration for servicedesk once, and it literally made me quit my job

it had the best data models though
pre:
+----+----------+--+
| id | priority |  |
+----+----------+--+
|  0 |        4 |  |
|  1 |        3 |  |
|  2 |        2 |  |
|  3 |        1 |  |
+----+----------+--+

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my project manager is really cool and basically just protects me from the rest of my organizations bullshit

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

mishaq posted:

my project manager is really cool and basically just protects me from the rest of my organizations bullshit

sometimes my teams forget that like 50% of my day is covering for them and making it seems like theyre killing it so ill drag them into a meeting with the whole team of executives and watch them panic at the dozen contradictory demands half assigned to them. its fun. keeps them humble.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
my project manager is an idiot who talks with my idiot software engineering manager

they form an idiot distortion field where any meeting involving both of them end with at least 50% misinformation and people who are not intimately familiar with the system will come out even less informed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

All Too Much For Me posted:

i had to build an integration for servicedesk once, and it literally made me quit my job

it had the best data models though
pre:
+----+----------+--+
| id | priority |  |
+----+----------+--+
|  0 |        4 |  |
|  1 |        3 |  |
|  2 |        2 |  |
|  3 |        1 |  |
+----+----------+--+

also no foreign keys.

service desk about made me blow my brains out

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also no foreign keys.

service desk about made me blow my brains out

fortunately they used enough SOAP that it wouldn't have been too hard to clean up after
<![CDATA[

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

double ohm seven posted:

also it's reflection of your companies development process so be sure to ask "tell me about your jira" in interviews.

this sounds like a good tip

what exactly is a good jira setup tho?

(fwiw the UX of jira is the poo poo bit but the rest is fine, since yea, it’s just created by someone at ur job)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

jira could be worse but lol forever at having to learn a query language to look up issues

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Fw: Re: Jira search string for today's meeting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nice racist image macro

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

jira is pretty good and highly customizable, but it doesn't replace the need for someone managing projects and understanding resource constraints.

jira sucks because it's too configurable and everyone does it wrong

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we need a project management tool that just works out of the box

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

trello :q:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

clarizen

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol the project managers work for me. better not let me find who u are chump

Your in for a surprise during your next performance review little bitch.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

dragon enthusiast posted:

instead of a jira we just download the PM's google sheets template and fill in progress manually

we have jira but we also do this too. because any changes we make on the jira end up reflected in graphs and reports that management looks at, so if you don't janitor the jira very carefully you will get annoying questions from the project manager

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Actually is there any good simple PM software with a more standard general contractor/construction/civil engineering emphasis? we don't care about all the fancy poo poo like resource levelling and whose working too hard on task task or w/e.

We use Microsoft Project, before that we used SureTrak which was good but stopped being supported when it got bought by Oracle Primavera which is sort of the $$$$$ cadillac poo poo

MS Project is full of bugs and has really stupid things, like being unable to set break split in a task, no way to set "generic" resources such that rolling up a baseline is done from planned work and not double counting up from actual work, easily plot earned-value analysis with acwp/bcwp, the actual physical % complete and EAC tends to go horribly wrong (i put in a custom formula to recalc this better), baseline can get really screwed up and using predecessors for task scheduling with resources tends to go horribly haywire and shift poo poo around if you enter Actual Work before its planned or even after

idk seems like it's a simple software to make for our basic needs, just no one has made one that isn't poo poo. i almost considered just writing one in excel with some macros to make it not completely suck.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
so write it in excel with some macros

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

vaginal facsimile posted:

Get back to work bitch

lol, you're my bitch whose job it is to sit in meetings, update status, and make schedules so I don't have to. I don't work for you and if I'm late for a deadline I'm just going to lol and then you will have to explain to the higher ups why we're behind schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

lol, you're my bitch whose job it is to sit in meetings, update status, and make schedules so I don't have to. I don't work for you and if I'm late for a deadline I'm just going to lol and then you will have to explain to the higher ups why we're behind schedule.

lol if your job and life are so empty and meaningless that acting like this is the only thrill you get

• Locked thread