Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It really is that good.

The XPS13 is really good too, imo. Cheers, Michael Dell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
no, op

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the soviets used a MBP

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the all new spiderman laptop in bright red, now available from dell

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Then again I might be in awe of nearly any hardware coming off of the month plus of the Surface Pro 4 I've had to endure.

I mean, drat.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the xps15 is real good and the tiny bezel is the best.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just set up gentoo on a brand new max specced xps 15 9560 today, op

feels good man

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they should sell it with wifi

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
idk, i think the xps is like $200 too much

it's still the best laptop you can buy

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

idk, i think the xps is like $200 too much

it's still the best laptop you can buy

I agree with this

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

like, if the i5 13 started at $799 or the 15 at like $1100 it would be the right price

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is good, and sales roll around now and then knocking $200 or more off of them. the killer wireless really is complete poo poo though, i can't understand why they use it in a machine where i have to think an intel chip would be a very minor addition to the bom. the keyboard is only "ok" also, but that really is all i can come up with against them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only complaints w/ the xps15 are the web cam placement is dumb and the keyboard layout is dumb cause theres plenty of room to make it bigger.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

like, if the i5 13 started at $799 or the 15 at like $1100 it would be the right price

the base model 15 is $1000 but that's with a gross rear end spinny disk.

u want this one

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Shaggar posted:

u want this one

yeah, the i5 , but at ~$1300 it should come with 32 gb ram

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the only complaints w/ the xps15 are the web cam placement is dumb and the keyboard layout is dumb cause theres plenty of room to make it bigger.

I don't care about the webcam placement but the keyboard definitely sucks rear end. No pgup/pgdow, and half-height up/down keys because lol let's copy apple

TB16 dock is neat and good but still a little wonky. You can still get your extra monitors randomly dropped by nudging the thunderbolt cable

still, a p. exceptional machine in general tho

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

anyone thinking about getting a 9560 should be warned that the non-PCIE M2 SSD models have a smaller battery to make room for your lovely inferior disk, only buy the PCIE SSD models

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i really don't have any issues with the broadcom wifi, but we're living in a bizarro world now where wifi drivers are better in linux than in windows

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Those were some dark days

That's like Compaq levels of poo poo. Almost.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the 9560 has killer wireless and I don't think those guys know how to write drivers. the Linux probably just uses some generic Atheros drivers since I guess that's what it actually is.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

The trick with the killer nic was to always use the Atheros driver, even on Windows. That holds true even now

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

if you wanna know it uses brcmfmac (FullMAC) in linux

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

where did you get this picture of my posting station

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
meh it's got nothing on my brand new acer predator 21 x

quote:

Display : 21” Wide-FHD (2160x1080), 120Hz refresh rate IPS, G-Sync, 2000R curved screen
CPU : Intel Core i7-7820HK
Graphics : Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X SLI
Memory : 64GB DDR4-2400
SSD : 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD x 2
HDD : 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Networking : Killer Wireless-AC 1535, Bluetooth V4.1
Video Ports : (1) HDMI 2.0, (2) DisplayPort (supports G-Sync)
USB Ports : (4) USB 3.0, (1) Thunderbolt 3 via Type-C
Audio : Hi-Fi quality 3-way sound (tweeter, midrange, woofer), Smart amplifier boost, Dolby audio premium, Acer TrueHarmony system, (4) Speakers, (2) Subwoofers
Camera : 720p HD webcam
Battery : 8-cell, 88Wh
Power Adapter : 330W x 2
Operating System : Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Dimensions (WxDxH) : 22.36 x 12.38 x 3.27 inches
Weight : 18.74lbs
Other : Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Keyboard, Slide Module
Price (as configured) : $9,000

nine grand american earth dollars lmao. got a mechanical kb tho

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it needs more stickers

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Those were some dark days

That's like Compaq levels of poo poo. Almost.

there have been darker

L502x for example

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have one. It sucks, its Tbolt dock sucks and I should have gotten an MBP.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

was looking at the xps15 and xps13 a while ago in a microsoft store.

i tried to open them with only one hand.

i couldn't. the hinges were so stiff the entire laptop just lifted off the table instead of opening. there also wasnt any sort of lip on the outside of the bezel to facilitate opening them.

utter poo poo.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

gently caress yeah thats my poo poo right there

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

touched a xps13 today. it was hella dope. A+ would bing up own rear end

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

i couldn't. the hinges were so stiff the entire laptop just lifted off the table instead of opening. there also wasnt any sort of lip on the outside of the bezel to facilitate opening them.

utter poo poo.

sorry about ur weak rear end fingers

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Shaggar posted:

sorry about ur weak rear end fingers

shaggar that doesnt even make sense.

i have a goddamn hp elitebook and even that opens smoothly.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

utter poo poo.

My MBPro has the same issue. And for the record the TB-16 dock blows. Doesn't even support HDCP, lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

there has never been a good windows laptop. i don't know why, but nobody has figured it out yet.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

there has never been a good windows laptop. i don't know why, but nobody has figured it out yet.

hosed up AND true!!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

there has never been a good laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

My MBPro has the same issue. And for the record the TB-16 dock blows. Doesn't even support HDCP, lol

man thats seriously shameful that's the one thing apple always got right

some of the HPs at work use a thunderbolt dock and they're a total loving disaster. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, no one (including HP) seems to have any idea why!

• Locked thread