Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SO DEMANDING posted:

man thats seriously shameful that's the one thing apple always got right

some of the HPs at work use a thunderbolt dock and they're a total loving disaster. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, no one (including HP) seems to have any idea why!

still works on my 2014 but maybe in jony's obsessive quest for thinness the bottom no longer outweights the friction of the hinge lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
not a mac, sry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have a dell usb-c dock for my xps15 and it works fine. they weren't selling the thunderbolt dock when I got it cause it was so buggy.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have a dell usb 3 dock to use with my mbp and it worked great until sierra came out and now it's a total shitpile

welp that's my story

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The dock shaggar is referring to is TB15, which was known to be unstable, but the TB16 just works (at least in linux! 2x 4k owns)

but is no hdcp really a dealbreaker? You have an hdmi port out on the laptop itself for christ sake, who are using a thunderbolt dock in a setting where you need hdcp???

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I have a dell usb-c dock for my xps15 and it works fine. they weren't selling the thunderbolt dock when I got it cause it was so buggy.

lol the TB15 is a dumpster fire

at any rate thunderbolt is demonstrably inferior to the real dock connector that precisions used to ship with, dell should have just stuck with that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the only bad thing with the 9560 in linux is that to get optimus working, you have to tell the bios that you're running windows (by adding the kernel params 'acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"'). that's a bit lame, and it was not necessary on the 9550. hope they fix that in a bios update some time.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol the TB15 is a dumpster fire

at any rate thunderbolt is demonstrably inferior to the real dock connector that precisions used to ship with, dell should have just stuck with that

i don't know, usb-c is kinda nice... and now you can use anyones usb-c docking, not just dell's. at least in theory!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Tankakern posted:

The dock shaggar is referring to is TB15, which was known to be unstable, but the TB16 just works (at least in linux! 2x 4k owns)

but is no hdcp really a dealbreaker? You have an hdmi port out on the laptop itself for christ sake, who are using a thunderbolt dock in a setting where you need hdcp???

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but telling the average user that they can't use the dock for certain content types is pretty dumb. I'm guessing they were trying to dodge a licensing cost, or the docks aren't certified for it for some other obtuse rationale.

To give a lovely anecdote, my work was looking to throw these docks all over the place until I mentioned the potential video limitations. Probably half of the conference room dock locations would be using video of some type, and while most video will go through just fine it all falls apart when a single C-level can't do something for whatever reason.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

i don't know, usb-c is kinda nice... and now you can use anyones usb-c docking, not just dell's. at least in theory!

I can plug my winphone into the dell usb-c dock and the stuff it has drivers for works, like the mouse, kb, usb storage, and Ethernet port. the usbc display adapter doesn't work cause the phone doesn't have the drivers. its pretty funny to plug in the phone and then get a mouse cursor on it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

there have been darker

L502x for example

thicc

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i'll never get over the location of those HDD/charge LEDs

i want to meet the person who made that call

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh what the gently caress lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

i'll never get over the location of those HDD/charge LEDs

i want to meet the person who made that call

doesn't matter, the checkbox got marked

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

just make your friend sitting across from you tell you if the battery light starts blinking orange

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but telling the average user that they can't use the dock for certain content types is pretty dumb. I'm guessing they were trying to dodge a licensing cost, or the docks aren't certified for it for some other obtuse rationale.

To give a lovely anecdote, my work was looking to throw these docks all over the place until I mentioned the potential video limitations. Probably half of the conference room dock locations would be using video of some type, and while most video will go through just fine it all falls apart when a single C-level can't do something for whatever reason.

but it would have to be like blu-ray or something for hdcp to matter ..?

are you working at a movie studio

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got a bunch of thunderbolt peripherals in the theatre and they blow up sometimes. i got a thunderbolt to dmx thing that gets funky a lot. idk. whatever. i dont know how to use the computer good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

i got a bunch of thunderbolt peripherals in the theatre and they blow up sometimes. i got a thunderbolt to dmx thing that gets funky a lot. idk. whatever. i dont know how to use the computer good

maybe let x give it to ya already

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

dmx ... gets funky

checks out

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

because thunderbolt is 4 PCIE lanes piped through a tiny lovely connector prone to wiggling around and making intermittent contact and even falling out

poo poo needs thumbscrews like DVI and we'd be set

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the new surface laptop looks like it might be a contender for the XPS, though! does anyone know if that promised surface plug to usb-c dongle has arrived yet?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Apple will bring the end of the laptop

all hail the age of the 'tablet' and the wonders of a single point to get all your software from

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

of course, you wouldn't get a surface laptop if you're not planning to install linux on it. that laptop might be the first surface where linux should just work

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I had a 9560 for about a month and it was terrible. The 1080p screen has the most nastiest ghosting I've ever seen and if I wanted to keep it I would have had to replace the wifi card.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Tankakern posted:

of course, you wouldn't get a surface laptop if you're not planning to install linux on it. that laptop might be the first surface where linux should just work

it runs gnu/windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

the new surface laptop looks like it might be a contender for the XPS, though! does anyone know if that promised surface plug to usb-c dongle has arrived yet?

the keyboard carpet, no usb-c, and no dgpu are really dumb for how much it costs. its like a mac book w/ even less ports.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Tankakern posted:

but it would have to be like blu-ray or something for hdcp to matter ..?

are you working at a movie studio

They use a lot of minicams/recording devices around here that have the requirement for streaming playback once plugged in.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

I had a 9560 for about a month and it was terrible. The 1080p screen has the most nastiest ghosting I've ever seen and if I wanted to keep it I would have had to replace the wifi card.

1080p screen and broadcom wireless

heh

sounds like you got the scrub-tier edition pal

the 4k screen is glorious

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i like the 1080p screen just fine. all in all a solid laptop, but i must admit that the only reasons i have i didn't pick up another x1c (i.e. the best laptop) is that i was cheap and i sort of wanted to play games for children

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
No trackpoint no sale

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i have an hp elitebook for work. it's better than I expected for a win7 machine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm probably gonna buy a razer blade this weekend so i can play games while traveling like an epic retard, op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Silver Alicorn posted:

i have an hp elitebook for work. it's better than I expected for a win7 machine

same but without the customer satisfaction. big dumb sandwich machine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wonder if I can get work to buy me hat 3 screen razer

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

broadcom wireless

worse, it was some sort of killer nic related garbage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Plugging the Ether Killer into my XPS15

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Joke is on you pal there's no ethernet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Joke is on you pal there's no ethernet
ya this actually sucks. i went to a dam project site in rural tennessee and turns out no one in tn knows anything about IT so the wireless wasn't workin and everyone was just using desktops over ethernet except me sitting there like a dumbass xp13 being unable to do anything. still billed hours sitting there tho :toot:

they called some giant honking fat don't-tread-on-me shirt redneck goon slow poo poo drawl to come out who knew absolutely nothing except to plug something into a wall and was stereotypical clueless guy "well when i plug this here thing into this here device shows green light is good" in the flesh

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I concur that it is bad

Curse this age of dongles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
also the touchpad kinda sucks

I think something is shorting with the sound bc every so often it'll start going super distorted and often bunt not always coinciding when going from ac to battery or visaversa.i have to shut it down and restart to fix it

also wifi sometimes doesn't come back on after being in sleep and I need to disable and restart the driver or easier just to restart the whole laptop. but sporadic and weird idk

probably bc my boss is an old cheapskate and always buys refurbished poo poo to save $50

otherwise xps is good

• Locked thread