Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

it's because there's literally no market for high-end windows based business laptops

you either get a macbook or a generic cheap shitbox

or the comedy gaming laptop option with SLI GTX1080 I guess

latitudes are poo poo but the precision line is pretty good, 5520s or whatever, theyre basically identical to xps 15s except you can modify the hardware more for volume purchases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the nuc had a very tiny window where it was an interesting idea but these days you can get a stick-puter to do what you were probably going to do with the nuc

burning swine
May 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

my work gives us crappy Dell Latitude ultrabooks and I've been trying to argue for a while that we should get a higher spec option for devs but reading this thread I can see why we don't
why won't Dell won't sell you anything better that's not a huge piece of poo poo?
don't they like money?

Lmao if your company is giving devs dell laptops that aren't precision's with xeons

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when i worked at oracle they gave me a 4 year old thinkpad that could barely start windows it had so much 'enterprise' shitware

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

i worked at oracle

found your problem

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
dude you're getting a dell

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

C.H.O.M.E posted:

dude you're getting a dell

please don't antagonize him he's going through a bad time in his life ...

he's getting a Dell

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

lol that michael couldn't fit 16gb in the xps13. sure cool I'll use a labtop that only takes 8gb of ram... with my butt

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 18, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
13" laptops don't need that much ram

burning swine
May 26, 2004

vas0line posted:

lol that michael couldn't fit 16gb in the xps13. sure cool I'll use a labtop that only takes 8gb of ram... with my butt

lmao that is pathetic as poo poo, i had to go look for myself

still

13" is the scrub tier form factor for garbage trash babies so who cares

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lmao that is pathetic as poo poo, i had to go look for myself

still

13" is the scrub tier form factor for garbage trash babies so who cares

this hasn't been true for years

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
13 inches and a deece desktop is sensible as hell.

anything bigger than 13 inches is my work laptop

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i'm legit amazed by that though. I wonder if it only has one ram slot? in which case dual channel isn't even being used which is double the lols

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if it only had 1 ram slot there are 16gb sticks. its probably all soldered to the mobo

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol yup it's soldered

there are just an infinity of reasons not to buy the xps 13

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
13" ftw

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

you like em small huh

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RISCy Business posted:

you like em small huh

ye

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

vas0line posted:

there is a 16gb XPS13 option tho? I see it right on the site

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

there is a 16gb XPS13 option tho? I see it right on the site

I don't. Link?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I don't. Link?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/dell-xps-13-9360-signature-edition-laptop/8vr2pm23rd2x/7PFR

burning swine
May 26, 2004

interesting

dell.com does not offer any 16GB models

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you go through Microsoft you can get them with only the OS installed, guaranteed no bloatware.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

interesting

weird, they used to. i bought one.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

have you tried scrolling to the right when you see the selections

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

interesting

yes it does. you don't know how to use websites

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pro...C4wfV19XX0%253D

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol, not surprising in any way

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

RISCy Business posted:

found your problem

Nobody "works" at oracle they just cash a paycheck while legal extracts settlements from suckers I mean Customers

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

:ohdear: websites are hard

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Nobody "works" at oracle they just cash a paycheck while legal extracts settlements from suckers I mean Customers

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the American dream...

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oracle was pretty sweet if you don't like doing anything I kind of regret quitting

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Shaggar posted:

the nuc had a very tiny window where it was an interesting idea but these days you can get a stick-puter to do what you were probably going to do with the nuc

nuc as full emulation machine for everything up through wii is really the only good use case but that's still pretty compelling if you want a lot of emulation in one box

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
so anyone throw linux on one of these bad boys?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah it comes with a windows licenses so theres no need for Linux.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

so anyone throw linux on one of these bad boys?

with windows 10 linux a thing i no longer see any need for it (no joke, it really works great), but i believe they are known to work well with linux (to the point where the wifi is if anything better on linux than windows)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

with windows 10 linux a thing i no longer see any need for it (no joke, it really works great), but i believe they are known to work well with linux (to the point where the wifi is if anything better on linux than windows)

cool

i don't play pc games, so i don't really have a need for windows

i used a macbook for a long time because shiny bsd was nice but apple keeps loving things up, so i'm going to move to linux and probably just run whatever won't run in linux in a windows vm.

(if i have a valid windows key i can set up a vm right? i have no clue how nonfree images are handled in virtualbox)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gaming works nicely with linux too, the only caveat that i know of that is still there, is that you have to either log off/log on or reboot to switch on the nvidia card when you plan on gaming anything. it'll work without such measures when they finish working on that server side glvnd solution.

but seriously, the linux gaming catalogue is large and getting larger every day, and wine is getting so good that you can play gta 5 with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

quick rundown of what to remember when linuxing an xps 15 9560:

• turn off thunderbolt security in bios
  • boot the kernel with acpi_osi boot args (search the thread for the right one)
  • remember to turn off the nvidia card when not using it (you can turn it on/off with the bbswitch kernel module), or else you'll get horrendeous battery time

• Locked thread