Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Sign of things to come in Canada soon?

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/882943090180403201

Biggest housing market in Canada

I'd be all for housing prices in Canada to become more sane prior to moving back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Third World Reggin posted:

the canadian housing bubble is closely linked to laundering chinese money

Yep, and the stupid thing is, no one in Canada bats an eye at that statement, but I've mentioned it a few times in the states and I've had a couple of people tell me that I'm being racist for thinking that :rolleyes:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I grew up in a highly predominant French Canadian enclave in New England so the word "Pepe" just meant "werid thing to call your grandfather" to me for the longest time. Still does at first glance.

Also loving lol that grown rear end adults unironically refer to themselves like this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Godholio posted:

I think Trump would've won anyway (for reasons that don't belong in this thread anymore). Russian involvement concerns me more from an "undermining the very fabric of the republic" standpoint than anything else.

This. I can accept as bitter as it may be that Trump won because of his messaging and how much people really did not like Clinton.

The explanation I've given to conservative family members (and a few have agreed so there's something at least) as to why they might want to care is that it could very easily be a democratic candidate pulling this poo poo next time around if Trump and Co. get away with it this time. It's not a standard I want to set.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

Uh.

WaPo published out Secretary Mattis's phone number a while back because it was on an aide's post-it note on top of some folders.

A ballsy high school reporter then decided gently caress IT I'LL GIVE CHAOS A RING and Mattis called back. It's a newsy-as-hell interview, as it turns out, with topics like a Mideast Marshall Plan and an expanded foreign exchange student idea, it's interesting.

http://mihsislander.org/2017/06/full-transcript-james-mattis-interview/

Pro click.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

not caring here posted:

Yeah, after reading a bit about him and his dream team if they could not come up with something conclusive and actionable I'd say gently caress it, there's not enough evidence here and let the whole thing go as an embarrassing part of history.

That being said having read up on some of these guys if Trump so much as thought about farting in a crowded elevator at one stage they'll nail him to the wall with it.

Yeah, that's been my stance on it. There's smoke for sure, but if Mueller comes out and says there's no fire, it'll be a bitter pill to swallow but I trust that news coming from him.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/884497331835604992

:lol:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

You can see him start to smirk and then supress it right before he answer's Tapper.

gently caress, I really hope we see these assholes in orange jumpsuits at some point in the future.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

McConnell has said he's going to keep the senate in session for the first two weeks of August. Looks like he thinks he can give health care another shot. gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Podesta tweeted back at Assange,
https://twitter.com/john_podesta/status/884854018824175620

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Saw this pop up on Terminal Lance's twitter feed,
https://twitter.com/amvetsupport/status/884896034073083904

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI

lmao loving Myer's reaction gets me every time

I remember a gif of this where you just see Mike Myers and Chris Tucker both have monocles that pop out after Kanye says the line.

M_Gargantua posted:

Posting from cspam:
:bisonyes:

loving :lol:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

Every time I spot my postal worker delivering things, I try and see how he clips through things.

I'm not entirely sure if I would be terrified or relieved.

Finally started watching this show last week and saw this episode on Friday, so I really appreciate this post right now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wow, thats quite a holdout

If it's not on a steaming service, I will likely not see it. I added it to my shows on psvue and both seasons have DVRd so I'm binging before season three hits.

In current events news, one of Trump's lawyers has tried to say that it's the secret service's job to stop Don jr. and other Trump circle people from meeting with Russian intelligence if they're so bad. The secret service claps back with, uh no it's not and besides that, he wasn't under our protection at the time anyways.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/secret-service-dismisses-trump-lawyers-claim-russia-meeting/story?id=48673067

Edit: https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/886627117496250368/photo/1

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 17, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Casimir Radon posted:

Because he's an idiot.

He's Somali so this is about to get really messy.

"We must back up the police no matter wh....HANG HIM!!"

Did he piss hot for Khat?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/887129431306899457

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Given Trump's Golf Habits, The Coast Guard Plans To Cut Off Potomac River Access

Oh my god, gently caress Orange Gropenfuhrer so hard. This area was so nice to kayak in :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

orange juche posted:

All these rallies remind me of how hitler had rallies all the time to drum up support for the Nazi movement. Hitler at least had the good sense to offer free food and a whole slew of other events besides the two minutes hate to get people in the door.

Fun fact: Nazi's used to die at the early rallies because brownshirts would get blind drunk and die due to alcohol poisoning and other dumb accidents.

IIRC, one incident occurred when some guys all slept next to a bunch of trucks or something that were idling and died of carbon monoxide poisoning which is pretty :discourse:

Afterwards, they started cracking down on how blind drunk people could get.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the dems try really hard to out-white the GOP

If this was Nantucket, I'd agree with you but there are a sizeable number of middle class types living on MV. It's weird, I know.

It just happens to be a nice vacation spot that's inaccessible unless you fly over or take a 30 minute ferry.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

TBeats posted:

does this give people previously arrested by this guy (specifically on drug charges, if it makes a difference) a way out of jail? he kind of shotgun blasted his credibility here.

According to that guy's twitter feed, the SAO dropped the charges once that video made it's way up the chain of command.

threelemmings posted:

Yep, most of the time DAs will just dismiss all pending cases, and why most (decent) departments are so heavy on people lying, makes everything they touch unprosecutable. Not 100% if it means anything automatic for people already convicted but if they appeal their charge I'm sure this would be a big factor

Not sure what will happen to people who were previously convicted by this cops testimony, but when a Massachusetts Crime Lab tech was discovered doctoring results, so a fuckton of cases were overturned and thrown out.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LingcodKilla posted:

Didn't Poland invite them in to fight off evil Nazis????

Nope. The Soviets did discuss a strategic alliance with the U.K., France, and Poland in August '39 but were doing so in bad faith (they demanded freedom of movement within Poland and Romania during peacetime, which was not going to happen) as they were also inking a secret deal with Germany. Once the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact was signed, they stopped talks with the West.

They stayed out for the first two weeks while Poland mobilized its forces to try stave off the Germans. Then they invaded while Poland was focused on ze Germans. At first the Poles thought the Soviets were coming in as allies, but quickly realized it was just Stalin making a land grab under the auspices of "protecting Ukrainians and Belarusians living in Poland."

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 19, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bulletsponge13 posted:

This brain tumor could explain the weird questions and confusion as of recent, particularly at the Comes hearing.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

psydude posted:

All of my guns were made by Germans or for killing Nazi's. Presumably, many of whom were German.

Same.

Well those and my Mossberg.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Best Friends posted:

The democrats have gotten even worse at politics

https://twitter.com/jstein_vox/status/888091177014243329

Was just about to post this.

In summary,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER7bIGwJeho

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean earthquakes stop when we stop loving injecting poo poo. Oklahomans are beyond saving, I agree.

It looks like bob stoops is either selling or sold his castle out there:

Ugh, we have these in Maryland and Northern Virginia too. Burn 'em all.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Pesticide20 posted:

Is that a Paul Ryan impersonator?

Nah it's his stunt cock.

I didn't get a chance to hear Kushner speak so the belief that he sounds like Gilbert Godfried remains. Thanks John Oliver!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Well they hit their fundraising goal, which is good I guess.

Also, seeing both a NYT and a Vice article on the topic reminds me of this gem,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLmkec_4Rfo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Watch McCain vote no, just for it to go to Pence for the tiebreaker.

EDIT: Yeah, I misread the NYT vote tally. Disregard. McCain still spinelessness.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 25, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The funniest part about Sessions is that he pretty much gave up his for-life job (because loving :lol: if you think he was ever going to get voted out of his seat) to take the AG job and will likely lose that in the next few months.

Go out swinging Jeff, go on. Do it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Not a huge current event but I just came across it and it's kind of funny. USC's former Med School dean is in the process of being fired because it has come to light that he's been dabbling in meth and heroin for awhile among other things.

An overdose, a young companion, drug-fueled parties: The secret life of USC med school dean

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 26, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/890268681082634240

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Genocide Tendency posted:

Shut the gently caress up idiot.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

She's a leader now?

Oh, ok Glenn.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Um, before 2005 he was a lawyer privileged enough to be gay and apolitical.

He wrote about himself:

And then, because of his career as a professional scold of the Insufficiently Leftist, he later denied it:

The man actually thinks "I didn't have any political opinion beyond 'sure I guess George W Bush knows what he's doing' " is some sort of superior position.

And then he proceeded to engage in the sort of reflexive anti-Americanism that liberals often get accused of.

Greenwald also has a flair for really dumb and hyperbolic statements such as "Kathryn Bigelow is a modern day Leni Riefenstahl" and "If Obama raped a nun on live TV, liberals would defend it, just like drone strikes."

suboptimal posted:

If you haven't watched PBS Frontline's documentary about the Bundy Ranch and Malheur occupations, you can watch it right here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/american-patriot-inside-the-armed-uprising-against-the-federal-government/

Watching this now, and it's still infuriating watching the Bundy's and militia leaders pretend that BLM took his cattle for no reason whatsoever.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 27, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A lot of the nuke stuff I was aware of but it was still a good read.

This part though,

quote:

Late one night, just southeast of San Jose, at Pacific Gas and Electric’s Metcalf substation, a well-informed sniper, using a .30-caliber rifle, had taken out 17 transformers. Someone had also cut the cables that enabled communication to and from the substation. “They knew exactly what lines to cut,” said Tarak Shah, who studied the incident for the D.O.E. “They knew exactly where to shoot. They knew exactly which manhole covers were relevant—where the communication lines were. These were feeder stations to Apple and Google.” There had been enough backup power in the area that no one noticed the outage, and the incident came and went quickly from the news
:stare: What the gently caress?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

Believe it or not, substations and access panels are well labelled.

We had a similar incident happen to a datacenter I was under contract with, the guy cut the comms cables to the substation and started shooting the transformers. Thankfully, the comms going out set off an alert and a police officer drove by and spotted the guy and arrested him before he did any real damage.

I guess my biggest question would be, why?

Like if he wasn't cutting the comms cables, and just shooting at the transformers, I'd chalk it up to idiot rednecks being idiot rednecks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I'm not sure what you mean. Like not having warning signs telling people to gently caress off or what?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

I doubt someone taking pot shots at transformers cares what the signs say.

CommieGIR posted:

They do it less now that proper site documentation is becoming a thing, but it used to be a big issue that substations were not well documented.

What do you mean by proper site documentation? Why would that result in it happening less?

Dead Reckoning posted:

InfoWars said that a child sex ring was being run out of that sub station.
:lol:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The man stood on top of a burning tank destroyer mowing down Germans with the .50 while calling artillery down on his own position

"Huge bitch" aren't exactly the words I would use

Yeah, what the gently caress?

I mean dude then came home and slayed some hollywood pussy for a few years. Pretty sure the guy was anything but a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He also publicly came out about his suffering with PTSD, at a time when when a ton of people thought that shellshock was for cowards. He also refused to take endorsement deals from alcohol and tobacco companies even when he was bankrupt and swimming in debt, since he didn't want to set a bad example for kids.

Audie Murphy was a good dude.

I almost forgot about that stuff. Yeah, he really was.

TBeats posted:

Real polls and fake polls be damned, if you don't think Kid Rock has a legitimate shot at getting a senate seat then I want to live in the reality you've been in for the last two years.

I don't think him getting elected is outside the realm of possibility, but I don't think he's necessarily the shoe in he and his backers seem to think he is.

• Locked thread