Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

New Leaf posted:

I think I'm going to drop Mabel now that I'm entirely caught up with it. I'm going to give it one more episode, but I just don't enjoy it as much as I did when I started. I don't feel like the story has progressed in like 10 episodes.

Mabel started out strong but season 2 consists largely of relationship stuff and doesn't do anything with the larger mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, your enjoyment of later Nightvale depends on how much you can tolerate fluff. It's legitimate to drop it if the fluffy melodrama doesn't appeal to you, that's what I did :v: The only thing I would recommend is to keep pushing through the Magnus Archives, which is extremely creepy and only gets more so the more you go in. And it doesn't devolve into happy clappy sweet water taffy nonsense.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TenCentFang posted:

Mmhm. I wasn't intending to come across as like, rabid about it, but since I was pressed for elaboration I went into it. You summed it up way better and in less words, though, drat. I'll keep watching Magnus Archives for awhile to see if it grows on me any better.

I understand your hesitation regarding Magnus fwiw, the melodramatic readings bothered me too at first. But then the stories themselves started getting better and once you hit the decomposing residents of the old folks' home beating on the windows screaming for help you're either in or out, and man I was IN.

Sinteres posted:

Disliking the podcast is extremely problematic.

Sir I say sir if you do not enjoy this podcast then you may be guilty of unspeakable prejudice! I do say sir! Good day sir! /tips bowler hat

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
TMA's second season is definitely good. I would actually agree with the referenced Redditor who thinks it focuses too much on the meit taplot though. It shortened the creepy one shot stories and the quality suffered a little bit, especially how the main threat gets nerfed in the season 2 finale.

However, it's still excellent and I am sad I don't have a new episode to look forward to every Wednesday :(

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Sure but hearing not-Sascha put away so neatly was a real let down after all the work they put in to make her threatening. I think it was a bit wasteful. Leitner was cool and it was nice to get clarification on the library but that particular bit just annoyed me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
TMA isn't for everyone though I would recommend pushing on until the first season finale, the acting is more natural there if that's what you're looking for.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Pack it in boys the furry episode's been leaked

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Tribulation is rough, these 2 characters are really hysterical for listening to some creepy poo poo on the radio. Wish I could just listen to the crazy cult instead of having to listen to them.

"nooooooooo greeeeeeegggg :cry:"

HIJK fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 30, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jurgan posted:

The first episode reminds me a lot of the first Paranormal Activity. People gave the main guy grief for being kind of a douche, but he was very believable. It’s common for men to think taking care of problems is their responsibility and they override their partner’s objections. “You must be telling me this problem so I can fix it.” So the first episode featured annoying character dynamics, but in a way that felt real.

I don't mind the dynamics, I mind the performances. They were both bad and their deliveries pitched way more to "whiney kids" than "scared and argumentative." It reminded me a lot of my sister's children when they don't get their way on something. It was kind of impressive that they both managed to get so shrill and repetitive in such a short amount of time especially since creepy radio signals are not unusual in that part of the state. They lost it too quickly.

In any case I gave it up during episode 3 when Stacy goes Super Saiyan. I'm not interested in that kind of super powered character outside of capeshit.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 1, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jurgan posted:

"Don't listen to critics, they're just jealous!"
"Yeah, we had to talk our totally real hacker friend out of going after those losers who have no lives."

The comments in question were as diplomatic as they could possibly be, and they still get told to just shut up and listen.

That's the stupidest reply they could have made. Are they going to contact Anne Rice for recommendations on combating "critical readers"?

I liked Rabbits but I'm taking it off my subscribe list just for this. I'm not listening to garbage being shoveled by people who thought that passive aggressive whine was a good idea.

In the mean time Limetown is coming back!!!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Out of all the sins an artist can commit, being thin skinned in responding to a critic seems like a pretty minor one. If you like the show, that's a silly reason to stop listening to it.

I'm not one of those people that can separate art from artists. There is nothing wrong with people who do, but I'm not one of them. Creators being any level of douchebag is enough to make me tune out of anything because it's troubling to think of supporting them. I don't want to give crummy people any help.

But it's not "just" because of the comment, it's because PNWS podcasts refuse to improve, and whoever is behind them actively refuses to listen to criticism even if only to say "I'm going to keep doing this thing anyway." It's one thing to stick to your artistic vision but it's another to be a jerk because some people may not look favorably on what you're doing. I've dealt with that kind of person before and there's no value to being adjacent to that kind of behavior.

If Rabbits was an amazing ground breaking podcast then maybe I would think twice but it's not, and I don't want more lovely people littering my life. :shrug:

In other words:

Jurgan posted:

Except that the PNWS creators already have a track record of indulging in their bad habits. I think everyone here agrees the worst impulses of that group are the tendency to stretch out stories too long and to go off on weird tangents that have little to do with the main plot. Then you see someone say exactly that to them directly and be told that they're losers who need to get a life. That pretty much confirms that they're not trying to improve themselves as creators, they're instead going to double down on their biggest weaknesses.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I checked out r/PNWS and they are l o s i n g i t

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Whistlers was a great production from No Sleep but it also had the main guy in it for one whole line, and the good lady actress sold it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am loving TMA for the story but it's not spooking me that much. Finding out ~it's all connected~ ruined it a little. Things are scarier when there's no explanation. Oh well, it's still super good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It was another "lore" TMA episode this week. I feel like it's fracturing into two separate podcasts and it's impressive in its ambition and even execution but it's losing me.

Yeah. Spontaneous spookiness is where it's at with TMA but this isn't all that scary though I guess its interesting on its own if you like that kind of thing. I hope they find more mysteries once they're finished with this storyline.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But to me it feels like more than every other week because even most of the creepy stories are connected now. They were so much creepier before. Like everything related to The Bone Turner's Tale or hell, Leitner in general, isn't scary at all anymore IMO.

Same. I've been burned out on ~fan theories~ and whatnot since :lost: screwed the pooch. The explanations for the spooky poo poo are always so lame and the theories are always wrong and the writers regardless of the show always say "well it wasn't about the mystery it was about the characters and their journey."

I can understand wanting to explain some of it because that can lead to deeper horror but listening to each separate story is a bit of a cringefest now because I'm wondering which Lovecraft monster they're going to attach this monster to, like its an assembly line and they're mechanically filling in the blanks. Apparently The Stranger is responsible for like 75% of the happenings in the show which is disappointing, because what are they going to do once they've tied off that storyline?

The bit with Daisy and Elias was actually interesting because it wasn't about The Stranger for once.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't really understand how people find "Hey, you know all those stories with thematic connections? Well, they actually have narrative connections as well" is disappointing rather than obvious.

Because listening to people cataloging discoveries is boring and esoteric. Maybe I'm sensitive to it because I have 15 years of library work on my resume but I don't like listening to supernatural podcasts just to have the doldrums repeated back at me when I deal with those in my day to day life.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Considering how solid TMA has been I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. And they're still excellent, it's not like they're Tanis-tier of disappointing. They're still entertaining, just not all that creepy. Once they have their season finale and start the next season then we'll see how they do.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

God that episode was so good and that's the exact kinda thing we never get anymore.

i haven't listened to last week's episode...i just want some spooky stories...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I an totally lost on Magnus, I have no idea what's going on or why I should care. John doesn't know anything and this is supposed to be good for him somehow except he's our POV character so basically we're left going "wait what?" while he and a bunch of side characters scream in terror into a microphone.

I'm going to listen to Eskew. The first episode was really good and creepy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Len posted:

There was a story that had a gay couple in it and apparently enough people wrote in about how they were going to stop listening because of it he took time to go "thats not going to change and if anything I'll do more lgbtq" stories.

And the next episode was for Pride and the stories were all either written by or featured lgbtq folks. He even let a different host who is gay or bi (don't remember) do the hosting.

I've heard people talk some poo poo about the No Sleep guy before but that's a good response from him :3:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Latest episode of Eskew rules, it was horrifying. Major props for something remarkably creepy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

drat was the latest episode of Eskew good. Poor Kenneth, he may have been a jag-off, but he didn't deserve to get I Have No Mouth and I Must Screamed.

Eskew is so good. What was even more chikking is that the city did it for David as a favor and got more punishing Kenneth as a bonus.

I know the Eskew guy reads this thread so I just wanna tell him that the tunnel with Kenneth really reminds me of how the final end happens in The Sick Land. Creeped me out so good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think the city did it as a favour. David did use the word bargain. I'm legit worried about what price the city is going to ask of him.

Favors can be called in at any time :unsmigghh:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Len posted:

Ah gotcha yeah I wouldn't have noticed since I haven't gotten to that one yet. Thank you for just saying what it is rather than playing a game.

Ditto, thanks for clearing it up Mokinokaro

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I saw and liked a live show in Montreal but hoo boy they seem to be leaning more and more into the “look we are so cute and wacky and ps progressive” thing. Admittedly I last listened to the first half of the two part “LOOK ITS TAMIKA FLYNN SO BADASS REMEMBER?” episode if I think last year, and am also a gay who does not live in the fun wacky bubble that Fink and Cecil seem to reside in when they get ANGRY so idfk.

It seemed to be leaning more and more into the “hey it’s me, gimmick character, here for my fifteenth appearance to be soooo ready to tell you a verbose message. Buy our book. PS im the faceless old lady remeber when I was funny?”

E: also ashamed to say I have a signed copy of the first night vale book and it reads like a Series of Unfortunate Events book except it doesn’t clarify that it’s aimed at 12-year-olds

It’s natural for a show to evolve in different directions but I still relisten to the first WTNV episodes and man, that was some good weird fiction. Cecil slowly narrating spooky narratives over the landscape of the unforgiving desert was so great and so eerie. I understand why they need to change to keep things fresh but nothing I’ve found has matched that quiet unease that early WTNV did really well.

It’s a shame.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Facebook Watch is lame.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The episode was good but they are definitely doing the :lost: thing of refusing to write an ending and just spinning more stupid mysteries.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

vortmax posted:

I can only think of two questions left unanswered at this point:

1) How did Emile get Charlie and her tapes?
2) Where is Lia Haddock?

Yeah, this. We’ll see what comes next I guess

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Limetown has good drama but hmm. I don’t like how they turned an investigative reporter story into what is essential an X-men story. I mean they might as well call them “mutants.” They have interesting bits like Charlie being a spy of sorts and the performances were good when they explored the ramifications of the tech but I think that was kind of a mediocre note to end on, not terribly unique.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
IMO the ending of season two indicates that they plan to transition entirely to television as I can’t imagine them trying to continue after specious monologues about how “stories don’t matter” and then jumping into an Xmen rip-off. They especially can’t do the Xmen rip off without drawing comparisons to The Bright Sessions with an evil league of evil twist.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I’m almost done with The Deca Tapes and I still can’t decide if I like it or not. The characters are well drawn and sharp but they’re so obnoxious I don’t really want to find out more.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Be sure to subscribe to our next installment where we delve into the arcane and eldritch mysteries of the Great Courses Plus

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I’m waiting until Magnus is done to listen to it. It lost me when Jon got kidnapped several times in a row and I had to remember the indistinguishable names of several supporting characters I didn’t care about. However the plot is still interesting so once its done I can binge it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

It isn't truly necessary to keep track of secondary characters, only the powers they serve, which is not all that hard to follow because the statements / segments focus on them and there are only a handful. You don't need to know who the ringmaster guy is and his story, you just have to be able to grok that when a guy in a circus ringmaster costume is mentioned, puppets are in there somewhere.

The first time a character call-back happened it was the first Infection / Swarm testimonial guy showing up as a corpse. There have been a few important figures - Leitner the librarian dude, the Key kid, the web guy, Gertrude - but it's very rare that any statement truly relies on another to make sense, if that's ever happened. The real-time audio drama stuff can get that way, though.

“you don’t have to remember 7 different characters just remember the 12 different powers instead” is uh, not that different actually.

Like I get it, there’s probably some stupid chart on reddit with “Magnus EXPLAINED!” written on it and there’s probably different colors to represent the different powers and it’ll be at a huge resolution except for the chart legend which will sit in the corner at 4 font size. That’s cool. Maybe someday I’ll print it out and just stare at it while I listen to episodes.

I just don’t want to spend an hour Googling each connection per episode when Jon starts trying to figure out the finer details of whether he’s dealing the MEAT or the Spider Lady or the Circus or the green goo that sits at the bottom of abandoned undersea Spanish galleons which is a specific power for some reason or whatever. I don’t care if someone else has figured it out, I am morally indignant about doing homework to understand a podcast. I want this to be a purely listening experience.

However I think these connections will be more apparent on a relisten without week long breaks.

This podcast did introduce me to Fallen London which is a ridiculously good game though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I find that pretty hard to believe tbh. All the powers are defined by bold, primary color portfolios that contrast starkly with one another. It’s like not being able to tell the difference between a flu and a broken leg.

We’re however many seasons in and the thrust of the overarching plot really isn’t that complicated. There are various cosmic entities embodying primal human fears. People who read occult books associated with a fear are entrapped by them and tend to become monsters or cultists. It turns out that humanity only really survives because the powers, who seek to destroy / dominate it, interfere with one another’s culminating rituals.

The Institute, which turns out to be the cult of “fear of being watched”, is attacked in the first season by a cult of Infection (which is apparently destroyed or made dormant in the attempt). In later seasons, the Institute goes up against a cult of Mindlessness and only foils their culminating ritual due to additional interference from a cult of War.

Recently it’s turned out that the Institute previously fouled a ritual from a cult of Darkness, and may need to stop them again. Throughout the entire series, an agent of Manipulation has tried to infiltrate the Institute.

The show has expanded the mythology to sketch out various other powers (fear of falling, fear of being buried alive, a new fear of “just feeling generally doomed”) but they haven’t been plot relevant, they’re just there to allow episodic breathers from the core plot.

That’s nice man, but nothing you said actually contradicts my assertion.

It’s not that Magnus needs a PhD to figure out, it’s just that it got really frustrating listening to one episode per week and having to go back and figure out who they were talking about when plot developments happened. I don’t want to ignore those little details either, because not knowing who’s talking about who bothers me.

That’s why Imma binge it when the time comes so all the information is fresh. It’s not that deep.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Bootlegged podcasts is a surprisingly untapped genre. Now, excuse me while I register and record Lupus 953, The Monster Dong Condom Museum, and The Flashlight Therapies.

wait we can tie this into with the eldritch advertisement ideas, where do we fit Demonic Courses Plus into this

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The first season of Tanis is really good even if it still has some dumb confusing elements. But it’s relatively focused, Nic gets kicked around repeatedly in his search, you get really nice creepy stories and then it ends on a great cliffhanger.

The people willing to finance perpetual myth arcs with no resolution is super disappointing, and its even more disappointing that Tanis is stretched out like that by the creator. It could have gone somewhere.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

New Leaf posted:

If you dig Magnus and the like check out Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a new horror anthology podcast with an elder gods meets backwoods Appalachia bent with a fantastic narrator/storyteller. I'm absolutely enthralled so far and there's only a few episodes out.

GD just finished the prologue and that song.

This is good enough I'll send this on to my dad as a recommendation, he's really interested in that area because of its music tradition so this might take his interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Is Tanis even making any money off it being pay to listen? I figure there's enough people interested in the nonsense or even just wanting to hate-listen but considering how long its been spinning its hard to believe that many people would spend money on it...