Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Catching up on Magnus Archives. Episode 62 was quite the humdinger wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Also someone has made a timeline of the Magnus Archives up to near current. Warning only look at it if you're caught up

http://the-magnus-archives.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

In regards to the audio quality, the success of their patreon has enabled them to get a new studio, so the recordings should start sounding better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Also looks like Magnus Archives finally made the top 100 downloaded podcasts in the Arts section.

#82, still way too low. But nice to see it gaining more popularity.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Magnus Archives spoilers

Gertrude and Jurgen were played by Johnny's parents.

That's a talented family

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 31, 2017

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Magnus. :stare:

These guys REALLY know how to do this poo poo. I don't want them to go away, but they are destined for much greater things.

Yea I hope some TV or film producer is hearing this podcast. Would love to see their talent on the screen. Maybe not with The Magnus Archives though (not sure if TV is a good format)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

TenCentFang posted:

I like how Magnus occasionally mentions ongoing or previous supernatural cases. It's some good fuckin world building.

Yea someone created a map showing all the linking of the various episodes. Unfortunately it's only up to episode 51, so it's missing a lot of links that have been uncovered through subsequent episodes.

http://svgshare.com/i/fh.svg

As the show progresses it's amazing to discover how much is connected.

Also, looks like the show is consistently in the top 100 downloaded podcasts in the arts section (right now it's 86). Good to hear. Though with the success of their Patron they won't have any problem financing the rest of the series.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Vox has an article up on recommended horror/thriller podcasts. Some good ones in there, and a couple I haven't heard of.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/19/16488604/best-scariest-horror-podcasts-halloween

Here are the ones I don't think I've seen mentioned here:

Lake Clarity
Return Home
Lost Cat Podcast
Point Mystic

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

New Magnus Archives is up for those that are a Patreon

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

New Magnus is now up for everyone

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Catching up on Magnus Archives. Now on episode 85.

Who is The Stranger again?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Another flowchart to help connect all of the Magnus Archives threads

https://imgur.com/a/tb2rz

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Is anyone listening to Sandra, the new podcast from Gimlet Media?

Here's the description

quote:

Helen thought her new job would help her forget her dreary hometown, but working behind the curtain on everyone’s favorite A.I. isn’t quite the escape she expected.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So I'm hearing that I Am in Eskew is the first horror podcast to really measure up to the Magnus Archives. Haven't tried it yet but here's the website

https://www.iamineskew.com/

Lovecraftian elements like Magnus, but focuses more on the madness aspect.

Also hearing 1st episode isn't that great but it picks up a lot after that.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 1, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So I'm catching up on Magnus Archives and just finished episode 97, and I'm a bit lost

Who was that creepy plastic thing at the end and who was she alluding to that she murdered, and what were the references to skin about?

And for episode 101 Who was Helen Richardson again?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 7, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Holy hell this Micolash boss fight is annoying me. Chasing him all over the place is not fun.

edit: whoops wrong thread

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 20, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

New Leaf posted:

I don't think you are where you think you are..

Haha, yea I have my lovecraftian horror threads mixed up

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Montalvo posted:

Whoever recommended I am in Eskew, thank you. I listened to the first episode last night and it's just so perfectly weird and unsettling.

That was me :) And I heard about it from More_Badass over at Resetera, who I think I also discovered The Magnus Archives from.

Guy has a knack for finding obscure podcasts that totally are my jam.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Speaking of Magnus Archives, while I've become a little bored of the metaplot the last episode was actually pretty fascinating.

Also, in case anyone wants the list of the 14 great powers that was mentioned in the episode. Here's the list (courtesy of the Magnus reddit)

Fourteen Great Powers as Named by Robert Smirke

The powers ARE fear (experienced by all living beings - humans, animals, etc.)

The Eye - fear of being watched, being followed, needing to know even if your discoveries might destroy you, having your deepest secrets exposed, that something somewhere is letting you suffer just so it can watch

The Spiral - fear of madness, the world isn't right, that the Almighty is lying to you

The End - fear of death

The Stranger - fear of the unknown, the uncanny, that kind of creeping sense that something's not right

The Lonely - fear of isolation, the feeling that you're just alone, maybe there's no-one there at all or that you can't connect

The Desolation - Cult of the Lightless Flame, fear of pain, loss, unthinking or cruel destruction

The Slaughter - frenzy, pure violence, not targeted or premeditated - just unpredictable violence, not necessarily cruel or unstoppable

The Vast - vertigo, acrophobia, dread of deep water, of our own insignificance before the universe, losing yourself in too much space

The Buried - claustrophobia, fear of small spaces, crushing, can't breathe, trapped without enough space, you're at the center of everything and it all pushes down on you

The Dark - fear darkness, that's an old one, one of the deepest, afraid of the dark and what might be in it

The Corruption -fear of filth, disease, insects, disgust, rot, decay, infection, nasty one, the feeling of your skin crawling or itching, being touched by something that might burrow inside of you, swarming in and hollowing you out and leaving you full of holes

The Web - fear of spiders, your will not being your own, being manipulated or puppeted, the worry you're caught in a trap you can't see

The Flesh - meat, fear of being eaten, of bodies all being twisted up, newer fear - only just beginning its ascendance when Smirke named it - didn't come into being until more animals were being killed and eaten ("all that terror, it has to go somewhere..."), "When something formed out of the animalistic fear of the slaughterhouse reaches out to people..." "...things get weird. It gets all mixed up with human neuroses, bodies, gore - you know that nagging worry we're all just electrified meat squeezing air at each other."

The Hunt - animalistic fear of being hunted, killed, being prey

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 30, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Do you need to start Archive 81 from the beginning to grasp what's going on?

I understand later seasons are better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

You should listen to season 1 before 2 imo, but you can probably jump into season 3 without missing anything but sly nods. Starts at episode 23.

So Season 3 is pretty disconnected from 1 and 2 then?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Meinberg posted:

Season 3 is in a different part of the setting that had been established in the first two seasons, and barring some cameos, focuses on an entirely new cast of characters.

Edit: Season 3 is also significantly higher in quality than the first two seasons. The first didn’t stand out much from the Serial inspired paranormal horror podcasts of the time, and the second was too detached from reality to have as much impact as it should have. This third one is really good, and these lead characters have just the right combination of knowing things and not knowing things, while being placed into some truly interesting unpleasant circumstances.

I'm guessing if I listened to Season 3 first it would spoil Seasons 1 and 2 if I went back to them?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

vortmax posted:

I haven't actually watched any of the Facebook shows, I just know they exist because Facebook keeps advertising them to me. I'll give the Limetown show a try though. Season 2 of the podcast is off to a great start.

There was one FB Watch show that received a lot of critical acclaim, forget which one it was.

Hope that it receives the level of production values and care that the Homecoming TV show is getting, since honestly I think Limetown was better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

boo_radley posted:

Black tapes: The podcast: The show! Apparently to be worked on by the Creator of Emerald City .

Seeing this but doubting there will ever be a Magnus Archives tv show makes me sad :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Btw haven't checked the Rusty Quill Patreon for a while (they're the people behind The Magnus Archives) and looks like they blew past their $4,000 a month goal so they can now do video content as well.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The Magnus Archives has a really active Reddit, way more active than a lot of the other “more popular” podcasts,

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Shame that some aren't enjoying the TMA metaplot, as I think the metaplot has led to some really great character moments.

Although I think the primary plot itself isn't that great, how the plot has an impact on the ongoing characters I think is fantastic.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 12, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Question about the latest Magnus Archives

Has the town ny-ålesund been mentioned before? And if so where?

Statement was really creepy btw

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 18, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Is anyone listening to Blackout? The new podcast with Rami Malek?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Magnus is back

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Question regarding Magnus Archives episode 146

Who is Annabelle Cane and when was she mentioned?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

If you're looking for a new fictional podcast to check out, highly recommend clicking below, along with the other links on the page

https://lifehacker.com/you-re-missing-out-on-the-best-kind-of-podcast-1837940832

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Great to see Magnus Archives is getting more popular. #10 in the Arts podcast section now

https://podbay.fm/chart/arts

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Finally caught up with The Magnus Archives. Yea that last episode was pretty incredible.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Anyone listen to Zero Hours, the new podcast by the Wolf 359 gang? Emily VanDerWerff over at Vox says its' the best yet from that group.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/10/25/20930731/zero-hours-podcast-review-end-of-the-world-apocalypse

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Considering how the latest TMA episode ended, it makes me wonder if next season format will be different.

(major spoilers, seriously don't look if you haven't listened to it) It's kind of hard for me to imagine Jon just kicking back reading statements while the world is ending and eldrich horrors are running rampant

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Is Archive 81 coming back, or are they working on another project?

If I listened to and am caught up on Lime Town, Stella Firma, Archive 81, Magnus Archives, The Bright Sessions, Welcome to Nightvale, The Orbiting Human Circus, Alice isn't Dead, Between the wires, Wolf 359, EOS10, Edict Zero FIS and Kakos Industries(don't judge me.) What else would you recommend?

Have you listened to I Am In Eskew yet?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not saying TMA doesn't make sense or anything but the podcast doesn't resonate with me all anymore since it became nothing but metaplot, and it used to be my favorite podcast.

Are you caught up?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Listening to Malevolent based off Reddit recommendations and it’s pretty good so far. The pod has an interesting way of doing an audio drama with no narration yet able to still describe visuals which is really clever. It took me a while to get used to one of the voices but it’s no longer bothering me (two episodes in).

Anyone looking for a Lovecraftiam horror fix should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

New Leaf posted:

The Old Gods of Appalachia folks just announced they'll be writing an episode of Magnus Archives 2. So loving hyped for that.

So are the writers of I Am Eskew and Slit Verses, along with a host of other podcasts.