Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

most of the places hit hardest by the housing crisis were in the west, where communities are often brand new and houses are less likely to be generational. it seems like the southwestern states (california, nevada, arizona), took most of the impact.

Dude you used to be able to drive through like, Citrus Heights and every single house on the street except for the occasional older house that the community was built around would have a foreclosed sign out in front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Squizzle posted:

but a singularity wouldnt have any more gravitational pull than the equivalent mass already does tho, right????? so not a doomsday??????????? just the destruction of financial hardware

yeah we just gotta use a looooot of data.

like a whole whole lot.

im confident it can be done.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Crowsbeak posted:

So I keep seeing stories about Ford and other auto makers racheting down their production. I cannot imagine this is normal. Combined with how many people are going to lose their jobs through the retail collapse I do not imagine this will be good for markets.

Auto sales are cyclical even in bullish times. The industry right now has been doing well on their quarterly reports.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Commerz posted:

The BRICS economies will save the west through the New Development Bank and other such initiatives.

Thank you BRICS!

if you look at the order they're standing in the they're the BICRS countries

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
We're already at peak oil production and no new oil wells are being discovered. Watch in the next few years as gas and food prices skyrocket while the Tech/Student/Auto/Home loan bubbles all collapse at once in an apocalyptic tsunami of debt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KfVJBNX2U4

learn permaculture

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
retail collapse is coming to the us because malls are ghostowns thanks to ecommerce killing them. Over the past two decades billions of dollars was lent to construct these things. Those loans are not getting repaid.

Student loan securities is going to be subprime housing all over again when the next recession phase of capitalism's death spiral hits.

I don't know about the tech bubble but it sounds plausible enough to frighten me.

Auto loans are an absolute nightmare waiting to happen.

The pension crisis is also going to exacerbate all of the above.

This is what you call a super storm of economic catastrophe. Stock up on water and canned food and trade all your dollars for yuan and rupees.

*choo choo* the capitalism train just left america station, next stop Chindia

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 10, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol telling someone to trade dollars for the yuan

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
oh yeah, and there will be blood. 400 million guns in the usa. Lots of blood.

Jose posted:

lol telling someone to trade dollars for the yuan
Not dollars, all your dollars. USD is a dead thing walking.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Mr. Sharps posted:

yeah we just gotta use a looooot of data.

like a whole whole lot.

im confident it can be done.

you know you can't actually create "data" in this sense right? it's just matter/energy you can't make more of it than it already present in a system

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

shush u

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kromlech posted:

oh yeah, and there will be blood. 400 million guns in the usa. Lots of blood.

Not dollars, all your dollars. USD is a dead thing walking.

the yuan is being propped up after the ccp raided pensions and whatever else they could get their hands on lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
chinese are investing shitloads of money into anything american because if america goes down, the entire world goes down with it. it's the most stable place to dump your cash because if your money's no good here, it's no good anywhere. at least currently. yuan is hella unstable and they're dumping whatever they can abroad.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
oaky forget the yuan, everyone buy dogecoin. My point is get yer money out of USD, the petrodollar can only be propped up for so long

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

i looked into buying a single room house with no plumbing
who will cuck the sewer cuck?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

since criminals all over the world have moved to bitcoin its probably reasonably safe now lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

is there such a thing as an inverse bubble? because there's no way they can keep selling Arizona iced tea at 99 cents a can and I want to know if I should be stocking up.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

since criminals all over the world have moved to bitcoin its probably reasonably safe now lol
Successful criminals generally have better survival instincts than the glaze-eyed cows of genpop. If you're on a ship and the floor is tilted you don't complain about the disgusting rats all running past, you follow them.

We are all going to drown in this storm.

Warm regards from a criminal

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got married to a Chinese woman and her mom dumped over a hundred grand in my bank account lol I guess they're moving money to invest in property I dunno what to tell them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Taintrunner posted:

I got married to a Chinese woman and her mom dumped over a hundred grand in my bank account lol I guess they're moving money to invest in property I dunno what to tell them

stashing your money away in massively overpriced goods is preferable to having the Chinese government seize it all. the system works

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kromlech posted:

Successful criminals generally have better survival instincts than the glaze-eyed cows of genpop. If you're on a ship and the floor is tilted you don't complain about the disgusting rats all running past, you follow them.

We are all going to drown in this storm.

Warm regards from a criminal
criminals are more paranoid by necessity but more generally if you're an actual criminal then you're massively stupid - if you wanted to take people's hard earned money without all the downsides of the dangers to your person, you should have gone into finance

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How long until I can stop paying my student and car loan and not get in trouble for it?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

car loan: whenever you want
student loan: lol

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

chinese are investing shitloads of money into anything american because if america goes down, the entire world goes down with it. it's the most stable place to dump your cash because if your money's no good here, it's no good anywhere. at least currently. yuan is hella unstable and they're dumping whatever they can abroad.
no, that's not true - the reason they're pushing so much capital abroad is because that's necessary to keep their exchange rate favorable. It's part and parcel of their currency manipulation, taking the proceeds of the export economy and using that to make heavy investments overseas

on paper, it looks good - you keep your currency low, so you keep your trade surplus high, but you're not buying foreign goods, you're buying foreign capital, which means that should have a return on investment

you can then make the transition from a third world country into a first world country, on that back on those foreign investments, while the americucks (who have no jobs) are now stuck paying you for all that capital you own, and the debt they're in

the cost is that you're sacrificing your local consumer economy to do that, which causes social problems, but more immediately - what if a lot of those investments all fall apart, in, say, a housing market crash? All that money you've sent overseas has disappeared into thin air, and if your export economy falters after that...well, you're in trouble.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Just graduated + got job in career path (software dev), where do I go to learn how to invest my money beyond adult child toys and 401k such that it doesn't explode when the market tanks and I inevitably am replaced by a overworked H1B visa that gets payed 1/3rd of what I make. Disclaimer: im a huge retard

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

if you wanted to take people's hard earned money without all the downsides of the dangers to your person, you should have gone into finance
the coworkers are far less insufferable in my field

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

C-Euro posted:

How long until I can stop paying my student and car loan and not get in trouble for it?
get another student loan, take some classes, u good :thumbsup:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Scionix posted:

Just graduated + got job in career path (software dev), where do I go to learn how to invest my money beyond adult child toys and 401k such that it doesn't explode when the market tanks and I inevitably am replaced by a overworked H1B visa that gets payed 1/3rd of what I make. Disclaimer: im a huge retard
'the way to make money, is to buy when blood is running in the streets' - rockefeller

the crash isn't going to hit everything uniformly, some things are going to come out better than others - identify which you think have a good chance at a strong recovery, and take advantage of the crash to buy at the right moment. That's assuming you can get enough liquidity for that.

That's assuming you're the gambling type

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

car loan: whenever you want

Yay

Rex-Goliath posted:

student loan: lol

Nuts

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Scionix posted:

we call it warhammer 401k

realtalk: ask cumshitter

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
My 1st decision after signing bonus was 2 1080ti's I think I'm gonna be a natural

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
buy a remote cabin in oregon that won't be destroyed by an earthquake, invest all your remaining money in guns (stocks and actual)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

we call it warhammer 401k

realtalk: ask cumshitter
"realtalk" fukken classic lololol :wink:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the palouse will be one of the most productive agricultural regions on earth after it gets a few degrees warmer up there. grow lots of wheat and nuts

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

buy a remote cabin in oregon that won't be destroyed by an earthquake, invest all your remaining money in guns (stocks and actual)

Unironically, a remote cabin w/ some flat land for a large garden and maybe a root cellar or something is pretty much the ideal piece of property for any future economic situation. Mostly because living in the forest owns.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larry Parrish posted:

Unironically, a remote cabin w/ some flat land for a large garden and maybe a root cellar or something is pretty much the ideal piece of property for any future economic situation. Mostly because living in the forest owns.

this is pretty much my retirement plan

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
But how will u get 100mb/s internet????

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who needs fast internet when you can have nature wanks

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
sure we all know about wood knots that look like vagina and sexy cloud interpretation, but what are some other good forest wanks?

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

sure we all know about wood knots that look like vagina and sexy cloud interpretation, but what are some other good forest wanks?
Who needs wanks if you've got sheep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Stinky Wizzleteats posted: