Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nanomashoes posted:

Tesla more like Car Citizen.

Woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

People always hype of this pendulum of market declines every 9-10 years but have you considered it's basically always predicated on conservative government control lmao

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Folks, Trump is just deflating the bubble, it's good, and very on purpose.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It's weird to see y'all bashing mortgages, probably the one loan and investment that most people can make, and one which has literally never failed outside of speculative lending in 2007.

Like home ownership is the one way that 85+% of people can accrue wealth long term.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

forkboy84 posted:

Acquiring wealth is bad though. Making people homeowners instantly makes them more conservative and selfish because they become obsessed with the value of their home never dropping.

A home shouldn't be an investment. A home is an essential. Need a place to live. On top of that, it's hardly even real wealth. If you sell it most of it will end up going towards your next house unless you are massively downsizing or are in a posiition to move to some incredibly cheap area, which you probably aren't if you don't work from home. Or are retired.

And that's the real kicker, the insanity in the housing market (across most of the globe) just furthers the huge generation gap. People can't afford to be young any more.

Do you really not see the benefit of having ownership of your residence vs relying on the continued good will of a landlord? Like having a property you can own and sell later means you have a place to live while you can eventually buy a better place to live. It's not feasible to save 600 thousand dollars in liquid cash for most people while also paying someone else 40% of your income. With a mortgage, eventually you have that money in a property you can continue to live on for essentially nothing, or you can sell it and move without having to have a bunch of liquid assets on hand.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lol AI will absolutely happen, and it'll happen in the least expected and dumbest way. That's why it's a threat - when someone accidentally creates a conciousness with no morals and no imperative outside of "do my previous job better" it'll end up killing us all as a byproduct.

Whoops my weird learning algorithm decided the best way to detect pictures of white people was to kill everyone so there were no people to detect and now I have a 100% success rate.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fb is good for buying and selling magic cards

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

euphronius posted:

the sec doesn’t exist

Check ttihs out

C:/Driltweets/bronco.txt

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fantastic self own

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1026908621660192768?s=19

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Shifty Pony posted:

the nearly imperceptible uptick in mortgage interest rates has pretty much caused home sales here to slam into a wall.

it's great.

0.125% change in mortgage rate is a few hundred bucks a month for a middle class home. Even small changes matter.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Weird, who could have called this?

TNR is a great blog for this thread BTW, even if it's super crunch and unfun to read sometimes (like this thread)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Does this belong here?

While this is funny, holy poo poo is this an awful way to present this data

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm laughing at the "2020" prediction for economic collapse. They're assuming that Midterms and Brexit won't have an affect, and totally ignoring the fact that the tax cuts exist. We're lucky if we make it to 2019 without a crash seeing as how we just has the VIX rise at the same time the S&P500 was hitting record highs, which has been a sign of collapse within the next 4-6 months.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm a pessimist, I assume the markets will go the day after midterms.
e; Either that or one of the next two interest rate hikes

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 29, 2018

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Often Abbreviated posted:

Under mainstream economics as implemented by central banks, monetary policy is the primary tool by which inflationary targets are pursued. If you keep interest rates too low then the economy overheats on easy money and inflation starts creeping up.

Bear in mind that to the modern order inflation is worse than a crash. The assets of the rich can always be protected, even expanded in a crash. Wealth has no defence against inflation.

To tack on to this and explain it in dumb person terms, higher inflation means the money they already have is worth less, and the loans they've given out are easier to repay.

If I have $1,000,000 and loan you $100,000, then inflation goes up by a factor of 10, suddenly I have the equivalent of (pre-inflation) $100,000 and you owe me $10,000.

90% of my spending power and of your indebtedness to me have disappeared without me making more money.

e; note that a 10x inflation would be the collapse of the world economy, real world we're talking 2% inflation not 1,000%

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Good thread title

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Can y'all bring your lovely Stalin and Mao arguments to one of the tankie threads this thread is about loling at failed capitalism not loling at failed communism

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

uncop posted:

I don't make the rules. Whenever an economist or a politician says that a state is out of fiscal space, it means that they're getting indebted so fast that the private sector is running out of money, so it has less to invest in the economy and also interest rates will shoot up once demand for government bonds contracts. And austerity is how you create fiscal space, because if the government borrows less, the private sector will have more money to invest, and will use it to grow the economy so you can borrow from them again later! It's nonsense that follows logically from theories of money and banking that like 90% of economists agree with.

this is a lot of words to say that you have no idea what you're talking about

"austerity is how you create fiscal space" this literally doesn't mean anything.

"if the government borrows less, the private sector will have more money to invest, and will use it to grow the economy " all the private sector does when given money is pay out shareholders (see the giant loving tax cuts that literally just loving happened). also holy poo poo do you think the private sector just HATES loaning the government money? you think they do it out of the goodness of their hearts?

im assuming this and the last post were just trolls because these are offensively dumb

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

im sorry jim, we've had to let you go. we don't have any money to pay you, we just HAD to loan the government money this month

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ive been away for a few days are the fundamentals still good?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

GWBBQ posted:

In addition to the usual office supplies, if you decide to work there, it would be a wise investment to get a decent paintball gun.

I'm picturing the scene from Good Omens

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Larry Parrish posted:

led in the heroin

Judging by recent posts in thread, Lead in the teen blood.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Oh yeah this is sustainable and good lmao

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jose posted:

We should still kill all old people

Maximum voting age, maximum driving age

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

actionjackson posted:

Is the Piketty book (capital in the 21st century) worth reading?

It's dense as gently caress and very mathy but yeah it's good

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:thinking:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah lol the fact its in PPP makes it worse since that sentence means you're comparing it literally in USD. $10 might be ~740₹, but if a thing costs $10 here and $1(74₹) there, then a person spending 74₹/day is counted as having $10/day PPP. It makes poorer people seem richer relatively (because even though they make less absolute cash it spends the same), but it means when they say $11/day PPP they literally mean "spending money to buy $11 USD worth of stuff in american prices" ($4,050/yr) is middle class.

If they didn't intend that then wow they hosed up that sentence.

The top end of that scale IS middle class in parts of the US, but not in others. That's the second hosed up part about it, $40k/year in some cities is not a living wage, whereas in some places it's solid middle class.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 3, 2018

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I, for one, am shocked

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ayn Randi posted:

BORN TO CRASH
MARKET IS A gently caress
Short Em All 2018
I am rational self-interested man
DJI DOWN 410,757,864,530

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

EugeneJ posted:

a lot of stock after-hours are already up because the plunge triggered their "NOW'S A GOOD TIME TO BUY" bots

DJIA F is down 1.3%, but don't pay attention to futures until an hour before open

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

🤔

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

is this the fundamentals

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tesla the concept is fine, Tesla the employee destroying rich kid's anarchocapitalist plaything as it actually exists is not.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mycomancy posted:

Ok, so...has this indicator been observed yet? If so, when did this happen?

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/T10YFF

ah gently caress i gotta refresh

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean it's cool to hate on car culture but it's not surprising that people gravitate to them given the state of public transit in the US. Even in traffic in northern VA it's faster by 30-50% to drive in to DC (or uber/etc) than to take the metro.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Doccykins posted:

i think he makes the hats himself

e:

one more because lol

amazing

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Moridin920 posted:

some EXTREMELY HIGH LEVELS of ECON over here L M A O

Wait so someone else spending money on themselves fits in to two different and opposing squares here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is a great day for stocks!

read this in fragmaster voice