Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The BRICS economies will save the west through the New Development Bank and other such initiatives.

Thank you BRICS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

rudatron posted:

they have no incentive to do that, and the BRICS are all going to be in trouble themselves

Spoken like a true member of the Global North. Lucky for you the Global South will save us, even despite your racist attitudes towards them.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

If you guys think the US economy is bad now you should wait until China starts dominating outside of the areas that they've designated as strategically important. You aren't even worth stealing from anymore.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Jose posted:

lol the chinese economy is more hosed up than the US economy

Keep telling yourself that, champ

They aren't even stealing from the US anymore

https://www.armed-services.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clapper-Lettre-Rogers_01-05-16.pdf

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The cool thing about buttcoins is that when the war with China breaks out over Taiwan next year their money will be worth nothing due to nukes in space and underwater internet cables around the world being cut by submarines

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Facebook's shareholders voted down the fake news investigation proposal extremely strongly, and it certainly bit them in the rear end.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

This is why I don't ever want a house. If the financial crisis taught us anything, it's that houses are the assets of the plebs. Reserve banks would sooner destroy the whole property sector than they would give an inch of ground on the stock market.

This is a fun transcript to read if you want to know how reserve bank economists think about their role in society.

MR. FUSTER: Let’s suppose that QE at the zero bound has crucial political elements to it. That is has real income distributional consequences, that could be an argument that would strengthen the case that Larry Summers made there really isn’t any fundamental reason that you couldn’t delegate that responsibility to the treasury. That they would participate in sale of longer term treasury securities at NPS. Or alternatively you could change the Federal Reserve act and say if the Federal Reserve is contained by the zero bound than it needs to do large scale asset purchases, that in doing so it should consider the income inequality. I just don’t think that over time that the public broadly is going to be willing to accept the argument that Don made which is it’s just not part of our mandate. In that case the mandate probably needs to change.
MR. WESSEL: You think the mandate should be changed to make inequality part of their agreement.
MR. FUSTER: I think that there...
MR. WESSEL: Unelected, independent policy makers have some responsibility for income distribution? He forgot the part where he want the open market committee to be popularly elected.
MR. FUSTER: No, the point here is that if we agree and I think the papers here this morning I thought made a fairly strong case that there are some implications of QE at the zero bound for income and equality. Those are not trivial.
MR. WESSEL: Right.

As you can see, any effort to give a poo poo about loving over poor people (even when framed as the public being a threat to them ultimately) is instantly attacked and nothing changes.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/20150601_quantitative_easing_inequality_transcript.pdf

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

man who could have thought the unelected unaccountable banker cabal that makes up the economy's central planning apparatus would want to gently caress poor people

they rarely acknowledge responsibility for it though

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Squalid posted:

What percent of residential real estate assets do you think are owned by the 10%? I would bet it looks relatively similar.

It's closer to 40% in terms of actual homes, rather than 84% with stocks, according to this: http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html Although, I'm not sure if the stat just means the houses they live in themselves or if it's all residential holdings. If it's just live in numbers I would need the totals of each column to calculate it, which I cbfed doing, but I still think residential housing is the lowest priority and the stats would certainly be lower than 84% of total housing.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

last time the chinese stock market started to go down for a few days in a row the chinese govt installed a bunch of trading controls to stop that from happening lol

which ended up making it worse, then they arrested a journalist, then it blew into a full scale 'corruption' witchhunt. meanwhile, one of the main reasons the crash was so bad was margin buying encouraged by Xi's OBOR policies.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1059056016300661

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 9, 2018

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

It's cute how much of a pyramid scheme top-tier management consulting firms are

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

ArmZ posted:

so youre saying youve never been to eastern Europe

eastern? I went past the jungle when it was full. was a great precursor to western europe

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

This article strongly reminds me of this guy I know from college. I feel like there's some sort of psychological reason why younger rich people become like this; like maybe on some deep level they realize that their mere existence is deeply immoral, but lack the actual fortitude to do anything that would mean leaving their bubbles.

My fave is people who are outside of the norm in one regard, who then focus on equality only for whatever disadvantage they have. If I only gave a poo poo about class discrimination and didn't care about gender or race I'd feel like a dickhead, yet somehow many people are cool with being so transparently self-interested.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Don't believe the hype. The RMB sucks and is at least forty years away from being a USD challenger

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I can’t even begin to imagine the international chaos a us that decided its debt didn’t exist would thrust upon the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

gdpr is only the first step. Facebook is going to be turbo hosed in a few years for undermining third world democracies and western news business models.