Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SpaceCadetBob posted:

We placing bets on tomorrows open yet?

I bet that they are going to replace the numbers with letters and make it spell out "GOOD," which willmake everyone happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

clearly the number is panicking about nothing, which is definitely the Democrat's fault, and we need to reassure the number with tax cuts and rate decreases. The issue is that the number is scared of nothing, because nothing is wrong. Trump is a great president., especially for number.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Limerick posted:

They will keep doing this while mass coronavirus deaths are happening in the USA.

I feel like just ignoring the thing that is scaring everyone isn't going to work very well since one of the reasons they are so scared is that the thing is being entirely ignored.

The house is burning down and filling with smoke and here comes Big Donald with a bunch of air purifiers and some febreze.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dex_sda posted:

and if there is a big move and/or Sanders wins, what do you think might happen?

look man his prediction can't be wrong as long as he predicates it on two things that aren't going to happen.

quote:

if there's no big move in Coronavirus cases and/or Sanders loses SC by double digits

I predict that the number will go above 50k if those two things happen. When the number of cases in the US jumps ten times and Sanders wins in a landslide you will never be able to prove that I was wrong

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

Our big soft boy is gonna melt down

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1233553800322940928?s=19

A rate cut doesn't fix poo poo here, we literally need helicopter money

he is putting all his chips, and the lives of millions of people, on the bet that the coronavirus isn’t real.

he made this bet after the ball has landed on the green 00 but the wheel is still spinning so maybe it will pop out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
China quarantined a city the size of Chicago and shuttered their entire industrial base as a hoax ploy to trick number into going down.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pick posted:

i just read that and holy DUDE, dude

ho-ly DUDE :psyduck:

I am going to guess that for every person who sues him and gets huge damages there are ten people who either have no idea or just chock it up to "bad number" and he gets rich.

America is built on scams

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
cool all the idiots who saw the number go down all week just dumped all their money into what looked like a cheap number, which means all the smart rich people can keep right on selling until the number is zero

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

I'm going to continue to scream that this isn't bullish at all until you fuckers listen to me

I may not be a number expert but I’m pretty sure “bull” is when number goes up, which it did billy, so you just not know what you’re talking about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

neutral milf hotel posted:

this is like tide pods for boomers

as a note, 80% of the people who died from eating tide pods were boomers, so tide pods are already tide pods for boomers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

wait what hold on, I thought it was dumb kids

nope, the people who were actually dying were senile old people with dementia, and the other 20% were toddlers. There were zero kids doing it on YouTube for jokes that died, because it isn’t that dangerous if you immediately spit it out and wash your mouth out with water.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nix Panicus posted:

The US doesnt have a strong enough government to enforce the kind of quarantine Italy is putting in place, nor does it have the healthcare infrastructure for the national testing South Korea used.

yeah but those things aren’t important. America is exceptional.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
why would it stop being the usd? is there some other currency that isn’t just hosed with constantly?

that’s right. it’s bitcoins.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the payroll tax thing is funny because it both isn’t going to happen and also doesn’t help service industry workers, who are hurt the most, at all.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Centrist Committee posted:

I just watched trumps address omg we are so hosed

his tone though. so strong. besides the weird pain gasp he did so well wow

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tashilicious posted:

the CDC estimate of 70-150 million infected is just.
its loving mind blowing.

That's pandemic levels. That's loving spanish flu. it is catastrophic.

if the CDC is right that means like 2M dead.

normally around 2.8M people die in the us every year, so it’s almost doubling it. it would cause the population to decline.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tashilicious posted:

that's a third of the US population getting infected.

I'm watching contagion right now :D

it’s a good movie. I especially liked the part where the immune guy was like “can’t you synthesize a vaccination from my blood?” and the response is “yeah but that’s really expensive” and then like 50 million people died lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

My Gimmick Name posted:

Those numbers were from countries with sane medical care and quarenteen practices. It has a rough 20% hospitalization/ICU rate, and we're going to be drat past 70%+ infected.

2-4% mortality rate in the us would be crazy, crazy optimistic at this point lol

I was arguing with a friend about how we are especially susceptible since capitalism dictates that we have zero excess capacity anywhere and he was like “well yeah but other nations are the same way.”. so I looked it up, and we have 2.3 beds per 100k people. Italy has 3.3, and South Korea has 11. we are actually ranked 32nd in OECD nations in that metric.

we are so hosed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Martout posted:

that's a bullshit number though, like either you contain it or the vast majority of people get it I mean you can't half-contain a pandemic

at some point when millions of people have gotten it and recovered the transmission rate is drastically reduced because of herd immunity

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

sum posted:

Whoever put "cancel all trade with Europe" on Trump's menu to make the other options seem more reasonable must feel stupid as poo poo now

it’s more likely that the script said “the ban will not effect goods from Europe” but Trump can’t read and added an “only” between “not” and “effect” and never ever admits he misspoke so now the number goes down

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
when we dig through the wreckage and try to determine the true magnitude of what happened we also will probably have to factor in the millions additional who die from regular things because the hospitals couldn’t even treat a broken arm.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my hat has only one zero and it the only number on the hat.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
watch it go up lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh I get it now. everyone just slowly convinces each other that this entirely digital stuff is worth more and more very slowly, so it isn't a shock, and whoops that isn't true at all and none of this poo poo is worth anything lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

July or August for the start of human trials. And it could always not work or cause blindness or something.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

immelman posted:

This is may be true, but Medicago have a load of experience in growth and production of flu vaccines. If you want someone who can ramp up production quick and get it to market they are high on the list

Medicago said in the article that it is July or August when they can start testing it. tests are not always successful and you NEED TO TEST THINGS

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
nah it’s going to fall 2000 points again

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it really all depends on if trump says something.

I think if he does I’m going with my previous guess of 2000 down. if he doesn’t talk it will stay even which he will tweet about as a big win

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
everyone is desperately hoping the number goes back up. maybe tomorrow if they throw money at it it will go up! lots of money will be thrown at the number, which will cause it to go up.

on monday the number will go down the most it has ever gone down

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rime posted:

VIX is down 13% what the gently caress is wrong with reality.

everyone decided that they have accepted that 2-3M people will die in america so now it is priced in; but only like 300 people have died so next we will get the panic about what that first number really means

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

okay yeah send me a check

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

punished milkman posted:

it's still extremely high

besides yesterday it is still at a record high, including any time in 2008.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

watch it go up lol

yesterday was a simpler time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Three Olives posted:

LOL, an entire industry built around skirting US taxes, regulations and employment laws while they dump raw sewage into our oceans. Yeah guys, I hope they come out of this alright!

cruises are the most boomer republican thing in existence so of course trump is going to shovel cash at them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They're going to close the market on Monday

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nektu posted:

The tweets have been deleted. What did he write?

A bunch of stuff that people in the comments called him out on being false

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m just sitting outside the supermarket that is completely cleaned out in front of the closed boarded up bank. no big deal really.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It's crazy watching the start of the next great depression in real time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

is pepsi ok posted:

I got really lucky during the recession and rode it out about as well as I could have. Gotta feel like there's no escaping this one.

Our entire economy is based around people interacting with each other in person and that has been banned suddenly nationwide. There are maybe 15% of jobs that even make sense to be done alone. We also have spent decades dismantling any sort of safety net and drilling into everyone's head that if you aren't working you deserve to die. You can't even New Deal your way out of this. The only solution is for the government to say "it is okay for everyone to take a break" which they 1) will never do and 2) is like saying the sky is red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If you set the number to zero today then it is only one quarter of 100% slowdown, and then you can never have a recession.