Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

So when, if at all, will it be evident that we're in a economic crash?

Never. The Trump admin will gaslight the country to the bitter end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Wemus posted:

You fuckers promised me blood today

Its coming. Oh god is it coming.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

uhh, there are protests at every single trump rally and the biggest protest in american history happened right after he was elected. We are just a huge country land area wise and protests dont accomplish much, especially when the complicit media barely covers them and when it does its always in a negative light

Shouting at a rally or marching aren't protests as the rest of the world understands it. He may have meant actual protests that accomplish something. Examples being blocking traffic, sit ins, occupying buildings, strikes ect.

Looking at it that way we haven't had hardly any at all.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joey Steel posted:

People seem to forget that you can ship entire factories on rail lines, even back in the 1940s in the USSR.

Hmm. Won't profits be down this quarter if we do that? It sounds expensive.

What do you mean profits will be up in the future once we ship the factories and get them running? What is this future thing?

Look kid. Manufacturing is something dirty poors in third world countries do for us. We're what you call a service economy now. Now then what's your plan for number go up?

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 8, 2020

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GoLambo posted:

Uber is going to be the first company to straight up die with no bail out.

:sickos:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At what point do you take all your assets out of the US and invest in a country with a functional government?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

when did the people start serving the machine instead of the machine serving the people?

13th century during the land enclosure movement in England. About 700 yrs ago in other words.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Doccykins posted:

the smart money got out in February

All this stuff is new to me so im being serious. Where did it go?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

there was a senate briefing in late january and then four republican s and two democrat senators sold a whole bunch of stock and presumably all their paedophile friends got the tip too

Well sure. But what are they invested in now? Are those senators just hording cash?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Knight posted:

Business is still going well at the dick-sucking factory

Then why hasn't my order arrived yet? :gizz:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

She said that people, workers, labour, whatever need work to do and that’s why they have to ac cept their position relative the means of production.

I need to tell you something. And Im not trying to be cool or edgy or an internet tough guy, but your wife is a real piece of poo poo. That is a fantastically evil thing for her to believe, and unmeasurable human suffering has occurred because of people believing that.
You're also a fool if you think her sociopathy is confined to discussions of economics and that her poisoned worldview isn't going to bleed over into other aspects of her life and thinking.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yall seem to be talking past each other a bit. While its possible the world may lose faith in the US government, ancient empires would not have lost their view that gold is valuable. In ancient times, a regional area that managed to get some of the dying empires gold would have something valuable to build and trade with, even before they managed to get their own industry and trade off the ground to restart the empire. Gold had been valuable for so long it was just taken as fact. Even if the government no longer existed you could still melt gold coins and have something valuable.

In these modern times we know that nothing has inherent value. A regional area that wants to restart the empire will have no universally agreed upon store of hard value to draw on while it tries to create faith in the value of its debt/currency by creating new industry and trade. Its one reason out of a hundred why ancient collapses may not tell us much about the current situation, and it might not tell us anything useful, but it may be interesting to think about.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 14, 2020

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Warmachine posted:

This part isn't true though, and is key to why those of us who say "pfft, gold" say that water, food, and shelter do have inherent value, as they are things necessary for life (in that order). In a post-collapse world, a society with a surplus of fresh water is in an excellent position to trade with someone who has the metals needed to build farm tractors, for example.

It's 2020, we use electrons not ink.

Thats true, but I specifically left out things like water or food because it wasn't relevant to the conversation, because water isn't used as a store of value, it isn't "money". Although I suppose it could be much in the same way you could have petrodollars.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

tank tables on basically all ships and barges are m3. hydrostatic tables are usually given in MT. the contracts are in barrels. all the actual measurements are in M3 and MT. barrels are a stupid anachronism.

Buddy Im still getting used to kilometers and Celsius what the hell is this poo poo!?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:pervert:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nice and hot piss posted:

But I suppose you're an economics genius so i'll listen to you and hold on to my hard earned money and hoard it under my pillow, right next to my Barrett .50 cal to protect my 2nd amendment rights from atheists.

Getting salty cuz people pointed out your stupidity? Don't buy a new car right now. If your old one fails get it fixed. If that starts getting expensive because of its age then go buy another used one with less miles.

Or go ahead and get 50k unnecessary debt right at the beginning of the worst depression we've seen in a century. I ain't yer boss.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 22, 2020

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

IRA's are a scam from when they killed pensions and decided on a way to force people to invest in the market. The fact that it is useful to some workers doesn't change the fact that it's primary function is yet another giveaway to the rich.

A sane society would have good pensions or social security actually good enough to retire on instead of IRA s. If you want to invest your extra money in stocks that's fine, but lol forever that average workers are forced to do that to have a retirement.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 24, 2020

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

there is a tremendous difference between "a little more pain" and 10% more unemployment than the great depression. If you cant realize the revolutionary position we are entering you are an idiot.

e: this isn't actually meant to be mean to you fauxton even though i don't like you at all, just a general statement that if someone thinks this is just another downturn we'll all quietly weather through they are vastly underestimating what is about to happen. Capitalism barely survived the great depression only thanks to extremely competent handling of FDR, and this could we worse than the Great Depression
I mean.... In all fairness, are you making plans to riot in the street? Have you contacted your neighbors and formed mutual aid networks? Are you running for office currently? Have you been making rough drafts of a new constitution or framework of government we could implement? After you organize the millions strong, possibly armed general strike we need to force change, what specific laws do you think should be repealed or implemented to effect change?

If you are doing a single on of these things then I apologise. If you're not then please explain why you think someone else will.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

atelier morgan posted:

but syria, egypt, libya, iraq, and yemen all turned out fine right

No, but they were also buffeted by outside forces they had no hope of controlling, like the US military industrial complex.

If the USA goes down it will be the first time in ages that a country collapses in peace. Other countries won't be sending in troops or "advisors" or selling our militias heavy weapons. Other countries won't be enforcing no fly zones. We will be able to peaceably fight amongst ourselves.

This is all to say that the failed states of the last 50 yrs may not provide any clues to where the US is heading.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

we are literally looking at mass food shortages imminently. there are ways to deal with that while protecting workers, which trump wont do, but mocking the need for food to own drumpf is some dumb lib poo poo

My god you're so close to actually getting it. Do you know why we are looking at a food shortage? It's because the meat packing corporations decided to let everyone get sick instead of providing ppe and slowing down workflow because that would cut into their profits. Now the government is going to force people to work in those conditions instead of forcing the company to do right. The "shortage" is entirely self created by the company so they can get a bailout and have the government crush the labor uprising that's kicking off. Let me put it another way..

You cannot possibly be this god-damned stupid. Surely you are trolling.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yes. Show the entire world that if you piss us off, we will just void the debt we sold you. You know, the entire linchpin of the current world order.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

the venn diagram between "owns guns and will use them on other people" and "white supremacists" is drat near a circle

Ive always been amazed at what a tremendous propaganda coup it was that the powers that be in America managed to convince liberals that only red neck white supremacists own guns or could want to own guns. An entire generation of leftists in America are convinced that the state has a monopoly on violence, and anyone who thinks otherwise is evil. Couple that with the idiotic lie that the civil rights movement was non violent and you have the neutering of leftist revolutionary potential.

Its not a coincidence that so many people are convinced that only non violent and non disruptive protests are legitimate, and of course non disruptive protest doesn't work. It would never occur to American leftists to have an armed protest at a statehouse where they were banning abortion or enacting voter suppression laws.

The idea that only the rightwing would want to be armed is such an ahistorical concept that would seem bizzarre to reformers throughout history or even in America earlier last century.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Leftists devouring their own, you hate to see it folks

That's not what's happening. Actual leftist are being attacked by liberals, who are as dangerous in their own way as conservatives and the main reason leftists can't get power and get things done. I think there is fairly little disagreement between actual leftist.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

trains and railroads

As someone whose whole career is trains and railroads, Im wondering how junked cars leads to more trains abd railroads. There are better ways to get scrap metal, it's not the right kind of steel, and raw steel production isn't the bottleneck that keeps us from having trains anyway.

Unless you just mean collapsing the auto market and forcing mass transit use that way.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

totally that reason, of course, I are a very bright and educated person who knows a lot about trains

(but yeah given how much stuff goes into a car I just thought about "recycle metal" thing)

Eh sorry. I was just being an rear end in a top hat.
Looks like our car culture us gonna gently caress us again. I wish we had passenger rail.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Markets freaked out after Pompeo announced this just now:

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1265668742220046339

Why take a half assed approach? Why not just officially recognize Taiwan and get this poo poo show started?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nissan is busy figuring it out, and so are most of the auto majors

No they're really not. On a per weight basis a liquid hydrocarbon like gas or diesel contains exponentially more energy than any battery. Barring a revolutionary advancement it will probably remain that way.

The no ic future is electric trains and trolleys for passenger transport, with freight locos and some freight trucks still being diesel. Everyone having a personal electric car is a pipe dream. We want to desperately maintain the status quo and just swap out batteries for ic gas engines, and grifters like Musk will cash in on that desperate longing.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Bullets are 100% worthless, buy canned food and medicine if you really want to "hedge". Americans love fantasizing about shooting their neighbors, don't convert money into worthless guns and bullets.

Convincing everyone else not to buy guns is god tier long term strategy.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

the poo poo that went down after katrina hit the gulf was so thoroughly suppressed and memory holed it's incredible

Exactly. If poo poo actually goes down part of helping your community is going to involve having guns to make chuds and off duty police think twice about killing your neighbors. Robert Evans had a good interview with a guy that organized community defense to stop the chuds who were openly hunting black people in New Orleans.

However lefties aren't allowed to have these discussions because conservatives have poisoned the well. Obviously my gun means I'm a drooling idiot with action hero fantasy's.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

witchy posted:

short, coward, you are only going to kill a number

Don't let this masterpiece of wordplay go unappreciated.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

carrying capacity applies to animals not humans. humans can construct their own environments. we should not plan for the future as if we were animals

The stupidity of this statement actually made me laugh so thanks for that. I would have thought covid would drive home how we can't ignore nature. Yes humans construct our own environment.. within the boundaries of what is possible with the resources we can extract from nature, as well as the limits of complexity that human society can maintain.

gently caress it we already got a derail going on. Malthus was right. The fact that the day of reckoning got pushed back by advances in science doesn't change the fact that he was right, not unless you think science can advance forever. I think there are a lot of people who don't understand physics and think that Star Trek technology is possible and could be adopted on a wide scale as long as science keeps advancing. In that case sure we'll find a way to cram in a few more billion because that's important for some reason.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm fairly sure that there is actually existing accounting showing the relative profitability of late chattel slavery relative to wage labour

I think an earlier post many pages back addresses this. All that profit doesn't translate into anything useful because you couldn't risk training and educating slaves for factory work. Thus the south was very under industrialized. The culture that wants to stay in the past loses out to the culture that wants to industrialize, even tho the southern plantations were wealthy.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

a bunch of the fast food places in small towns won't survive this

where i was in jamestown, TN, the mcdonalds was the loving place to be. I would study there in the mornings because there were nowhere else. The dining room would be packed with old people just shooting the poo poo and every thirty mintues they'd go like buy a biscuit or something

Makes me think of a tavern. The old ways survive just heavily commodified due to hell capitalism.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Lysenko's theories didn't lead to any famine or hardship. The 1931-33 famine occurred decades before his theories were made the party line, and blaming the Leningrad famine on Lysenko and not the Nazis would just be disgusting. And let it be remembered that, at the time, mainstream western genetics research was race science across the board. And that recent advances in epigenetics shows that the basic premise behind Lamarkism/Lysenkoism wasn't even incorrect. It is possible for (certain) acquired traits to be passed along hereditarily.

One, at great costs to themselves, helped large parts of the third world liberate themselves and subsidised their fledgling economies.

The other crushed all dissent and built neo-colonialist despotisms across the globe to buoy their economy with stolen wealth. Shut the gently caress up.

I really appreciate you posting this. I was feeling kinda down today and needed a good laugh.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A fun thought experiment. What would America be today if WW2 had not destroyed the competition. It really does seem like most of America's greatness was made possible by how that turned out.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If Ive understood the last 20 pages of derail correctly, we're all posting engineers. Presumably the posts are useful as people keep coming here to get them, people's lives have been ruined by bad posting, and most importantly, SA is a self regulating body whose members help enforce and are encouraged to abide by posting standards, with probation in place of decertification.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The company stole labor from the devs, and then the pirates stole from the company. At no point are pirates stealing from the people who actually did the work, because they have nothing. Thier bosses already stole it.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Declan MacManus posted:

violence in the revolution is fine. it is inevitable. heads will roll. there has to be a point, however, when violence ceases to be acceptable, or you haven’t created a utopia at all. either the system centralizes power and authority to utilize that power is derived from the people (through voting or through direct participation, your choice) or the system decentralizes power amongst several groups who reach consensus through the people they represent. the system should have safeguards to prevent any individual from amassing outsized power and influence.

if the system never stops being violent then what’s the point? you’re just perpetuating the forever war and chasing ghosts (and likely causing a bunch of collateral damage in the name of securing the republic)

One of the ideas I think the founding fathers got right was that the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with blood. If you read thier writings, many of them expected thier new system to last a few decades before another revolution would happen.

A utopia cannot be built by humans. Anything you try will eventually be corrupted. One form that corruption may take is a return to capitalist tendencies, or an increasing need by your new government to use violence to protect the revolution.

I don't say this in a nihilistic sense that we shouldn't try. Just know that what you build will eventually fail and stop trying to make it perfect and eternal. The fact that a solution will devolve back into violence doesn't negate the few decades of peace you may have before that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

snoo posted:

can I have some money

Sure. I'll give you $100 for goon solidarity. Its not much but it would get 2 tanks of gas or maybe food for a week. How should you receive it?