Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

anime was right posted:

if the tech bubble bursts, all of the houses china and russia bought in seattle and vancouver might become worthless so that might cause be a selling frenzy. in addition, homeowners might default when they lose their 100k/year gig. it's a possible domino for sure.

just remember that if one bubble bursts and suddenly every single millenial loses their job, all of that debt that was deemed "safe" in these SLABS is garbage and all those bets also lose money. worst case scenario is probably tech bubble bursts and takes a huge wave of jobs with it and taking the housing market and student loans with it. once that happens, there will be no money to stimulate the economy from anyone under 35 because they'll either have to eat the debt or pretend it doesn't exist. if they pretend it doesn't exist, congrats, those SLABS become double worthless.

since student loan debt can't be discharged except via death I think we know what's gonna happen to all the people who stop paying their loans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Alpha Mayo posted:

I didn't mean the official term (giving the rich capitalists more money will make its way to the working class), which doesn't actually exist, but more like 'capitalists will throw money into more and more ridiculous investments' as those investments become overvalued, because they run out of places to put their money.

They throw money at undervalued->appropriately valued->overvalued->extremely overvalued->bitcoin->bitcoin forks. Bitcoin is pure speculation with no native value. Right now, Bitcoin market cap is $132 billion., That's about the size of IBM or McDonald's, corporations that hold assets, deliver products and sometimes profit/dividends. The only value with Bitcoin is speculated growth.

I think most of the people with real money getting involved in bitcoin just see it as a way to move their money around traditional financial barriers, such as sanctions or transfer limits

there are speculators yeah but a chinese billionaire isn't buying bitcoins as an investment, but to get money out of the yuan and into dollars or euros

bitcoin transactions also conveniently launder the money for you

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought not even death saves you from that

it does but any loans with a cosigner are still valid to collect so they'll shake down your parents before you're even in the ground

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Didn't he literally say a week ago that it couldn't possibly go down

he literally declared it a "new paradigm" when it was at like $17k before the crash

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

logikv9 posted:

sad thread stuck in the past, you need to innovate

uber, but for "the boats"

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

these people need their money taken away from them to prevent them from committing acts of self-harm

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

etalian posted:

I'm sure they will get 100 million in VC money to market their dumb ideas.

they already have millions of dollars

these are all silicon valley millionaire idiots paying $35 for a gallon of water with giardia in it

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

"people can afford housing in this country" -- economy report

"jesus what a disaster" -- the neoliberal mind

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

seems fine

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

so i havent looked into tether is it just a printing press of fake money except with cryptocoins and its insanely levered to the point that the value of the fake money exceeds any real value of the company?

I'm not much of a crypto boy but basically tether's whole "deal" is that bitfinex issues it (makes it?) and claims to hold USD equal to the amount of tether they own, and has fixed the value of one tether to equal one USD

bitfinex already "mined" (sure) all the tether that will ever exist and only sells it for $1 per tether and for some reason everyone agreed that they were telling the truth when they said they had hundreds of millions of USD to create a new currency with and were holding that specifically for the purposes of moving around encrypted geegaws of no utility

so when they put $160 million "worth" of tether into the exchanges the exchanges behaved as if $160 million of real money was going in to the market, even though that money may not (does not) actually exist in a way that could be described as "owned by bitfinex"

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

ah cool so basically fractional reserve banking?

look, it's not a bank

it's a decentralized financial network that sometimes requires stabilization from an outside party that everyone has agreed to trust

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Kind of? They're claiming they're holding a full reserve (so, having enough cash to cover every tether out there), they're just lying about it.

if you take it in a quite literal sense it is very much fractional reserve banking because they definitely only have a fraction of the money they claim to have

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

one weird thing about the crypto market in general is that it's full of people who are in effect religious zealots who believe that they have a kind of responsibility to maintain the value of cryptocoins and so whenever people start to offload and the price dumps there will be hundreds or even thousands of dudes who swarm in to buy as much as they can even if it means skipping meals or maxing out credit cards or falling behind on their rent

this is, of course, good for bitcoin

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

ah man, ahaha

not only is tether fake money but it's the fake money equivalent of those COMMEMORATIVE COIN REAL LIBERIAN LEGAL TENDER commercials for tacky collectible currency

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

ikanreed posted:

It feels very "real soon now" doesn't it?

Like there's no way we're getting out of 2018 without at least a 2007 style tipping point?

if we get what we deserve it will happen a few months after the inauguration of a useless centrist democrat in 2021

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

also rip people who use gpus for like animation and CAD and scientific simulations lol

it's okay, to encourage these types of groups to buy enterprise-level gpus nvidia has decided to stop offering support or sales packages of retail-level gpus to researchers or industry (except for bitcoin)

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

so big businesses, by and large, aren't using the tax break to give raises and hire people, right? because facebook loves using trending topics to put it in a light that's not completely terrible. i know that walmart and comcast laid off a bunch of people after it passed and i saw a list that included several other companies

a lot of places are giving out negligible bonuses to some employees ($1000 seems to be the number everyone agreed was "enough to shut the proles up") but at the same time closing stores/firing workers

like walmart raised their minimum wage to $11 and paid out $1000 bonuses to people who had been working there for 20+ years (this is about 95% management staff), but at the same time they closed a bunch of sams club locations

and that minimum wage raise isn't done out of altruism or generosity or even letting the tax cuts "trickle down" but because the minimum wage in so many cities/states has increased to the point that they have to pay the majority of their employees that much (or more) anyway

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

this kid is gonna have a fit when he can no longer call himself a millionaire

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Lokar posted:

like it’s never occurred to me “oh god this hollow gaping feeling inside me would only go away if my clothes were slightly softer”

did clothes used to be made out of bricks? did people cut themselves putting on a shirt?

boomer's lives were so easy and free of want that even the slightly scratchy sensation of a stray thread on their shirt was traumatic disturbance

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

logikv9 posted:

it certainly screams serial something

yeah he's a real cereal killer

he kills people and then eats all their cereal

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would you privatize water? Like what's the supposed advantage?

people need to drink it to live and once you own it you can charge them money for them to continue living

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Jose posted:

Can anyone post the video of I think a billionaire on some money talkshow saying how the average American is still living in a recession and the hosts just can't understand it

that would be asher edelman, a greedy son of a bitch who made so much money off other peoples' misery he doesn't even have to give a poo poo about trying to make money anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xSVzdUNqo

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

same poo poo nearly happened in kansas but they can still raise taxes through legislation so they were able to pull their rear end out of the fire at the last second to avoid a three day school week

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

so if we combine government subsidies with innovation do we get a stable currency?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

You realise your kid is going to see Calvin as a role model to emulate right

in this hosed up hellworld calvin is a good role model

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

wilbur ross is taking a nap

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcMerrill/status/976477141838716929

this is some next level Job Creator poo poo, these people are brainwashed

when your economic system rewires your brain to justify its existence the way an abuse victim justifies their abuser's actions

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i love the people that think canadia will be made more habitable by climate change somehow

because north = cold and climate change means +heat everywhere right

how hard can it be to run industrial scale agriculture off an inch of soil laid over bedrock

probably easy

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

RE: Doomsday Climate Change

What are y’all doing on a personal basis to prepare for the apocalypse? Or at least how does knowing the world faces ecological collapse, starvation and war, particularly at a time at which I assume most of us will be middle aged or elderly and therefore more vulnerable, affect your life decisions?

Or am I missing the vibe of the thread here vis a vis death is certain, keep yr cool

gonna eat as much food as I can and lift as many weights as I can to get as fat and muscular as possible so if I die after they stop putting people in the ground I can make some roaming scavenger-cannibal's day

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

dang and all we have to do is figure out regular fusion first, then miniaturize it

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the type of person to seriously post on r/investing seems like the type of person who was insufferably smug about being a 401k "millionaire" a few months ago

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

what the gently caress happened at 3pm to do this

the hft bots were all ordered to run buy_the_dip.bat

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Mirthless posted:

lol watch the republicans suddenly start getting real interested in donald's crimes

him shaking his handlers is hilarious and awesome but man they can't let this go on when they're not getting what they want from him, right?

most of them will circle the wagons around him further, a small number of people looking to burnish their personal media profiles will make meek and impotent criticisms like "I hope he comes around to our way of thinking" or "hopefully he blows off some steam this weekend"

fox news hosts will grow increasingly radical and paranoid and conspiratorial until they're wink-nudging their audience to start killing democrats and minorities

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I still think once tesla goes down everything else comes falling apart because that will pull down all the millions of useless startup nonsense companies with it and things will spiral out from there into other sectors like the wildly over-valued rental markets and all those student loans

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

if the federal government gave even $1bn more to NASA yearly spacex would die on the vine

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

no one knows what any of this means

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

it's no coincidence that the company he's most directly involved with is the one that is struggling the most

as to why tesla is the one he wants to be most tangled up with, could be that it's just the one that he has the strongest emotional attachment to for one reason or another

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the real humane way to handle an aging population would be to combine at-home care visitations and community involvement with the option to end your own life in a painless and dignified way

like when I get to the point that my eyes don't work so I can't read or play videogames or even watch tv, and I'm too decrepit to even feed myself, I'd rather just have a way to get out of everyone's hair as cleanly as possible

I'd probably want to punch my own ticket the moment I couldn't wipe my own rear end anymore tbh, no one needs to be bothered with mopping out the diarrhea from my troublesome buttocks

of course in our capitalist hellworld the "option" to end one's life painlessly would become quickly abused by anyone who could find a way to scrape even the tiniest amount of profit out of it

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Retromancer posted:

LMAO isn't Blue Apron one of those companies that basically exists because of magical thinking? like their path to profitability is that they think people will get so hooked on their stupid meal kits that they'll stay on board when they double the price?

yeah they're also teaching their customers a bunch of easy to make recipes that they can just buy at the grocery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I'm the guy in the comments saying the company is mismanaged because they haven't fixed wages to number of passengers each driver carries