Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

rudatron posted:

the global south has no incentive to bail out the global north out of a problem that's largely of it's own creation, and a crisis at the center of the global north will have direct effects on the heavy export-oriented economies of the global south. If China and India can successfully transition to a consumer economy, then they could pull up out of it and set themselves up as the new centers of global power, but that's only happening after a period of heavy instability, and no one is going to care about America anymore.
I think the entirety of northern India turning into a desert might scupper their plans, even in the scenario where that doesn't also trigger a nuclear war with Pakistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

rudatron posted:

both india and china have major environmental problems on the horizon, but neither are intractable, and they're still going to come out of it having the largest populations on earth between the both of them, and they both still have fairly clear & obvious paths towards development & growth, with large enough tax bases to support those investments - that's more than most other countries can make a claim to.
Already a quarter of India is suffering from desertification - and accelerating climate change and the pressure to produce more on what land remains will further exacerbate this process. Northern India will become a desert of bleached bone, patrolled by Hindu death squads looking eradicating the last remnants of Muslim presence in India. This will not be good for the world economy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Squizzle posted:

whoa this is sikh erasure
It's only erasure if they still exist in the scenario.

Squizzle posted:

but a singularity wouldnt have any more gravitational pull than the equivalent mass already does tho, right????? so not a doomsday??????????? just the destruction of financial hardware
I think that depends on whether it evaporates before it reaches the Earth's core.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Income gets reinvested into gifts for politicians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

no, i mean that there's not going to be automation. the primary driver behind economic collapse is resource depletion. there is very few reason to replace humans (cheap, replaceable, and getting cheaper literally every second as more are made) with machines (expensive, complex and difficult to replace, require massive ongoing investments in energy and resources). the transition people are theorycrafting is not actually plausible.
Not going to be automation implies that it hasn't already cut a swathe through all kinds of tasks people used to do. Not sure why machines should be more energy intensive either, since a lot of them can skip one or two steps of transforming energy into usable forms compared to people, plus they don't waste energy on stupid poo poo like not working. I think the resource perspective is more going to play into the argument that the people who own these machines will have even less reason to share, so everyone else just gets kicked out of the formal economy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

if you're talking about having powered machines that perform manual labour more quickly and efficiently then humans, that's called industrialisation and that happened over 100 years ago. the economy is already industrialised.
I'm talking about poo poo like computers being able to do calculations, which they do so well that they took over the name of the first job they automated. That's an extreme example, but there's a reason I wrote task and not job. You don't necessarily attempt to automate a job entirely, you automate tasks and consolidate the non-automatable tasks into fewer jobs. And don't tell me e-mail/calendar integration, now fitting in the palm of your hand, isn't more efficient than having to have secretaries for half your staff.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Eventually there just won't be enough jobs left for everyone in the US without deep and fundamental economic and social change.. I'm not talking about "robots replace literally everyone, leading to post-human economy", I'm talking "Great Recession levels of unemployment, except permanent and structural". That's more than enough to cause issues.
Please don't be so myopic. This is a global issue, not an American one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I didn't say it was incredibly difficult. I said that no one is bothering to do it, and that it's a pretty big indicator of how interested manufacturers actually are in mass-market autonomous vehicles.
Germany has just passed a law regarding legal responsibility in driverless vehicles.

Digiwizzard posted:

What on earth would the point be? The rich only exist in relation to the economy that provides them with structural power. That economy doesen't exist without the enormous populations and resource consumption that allows it to function at this scale. They could spend our last energy resources committing massive genocide, and then live the rest of their days scrambling in an abject poverty on a ruined planet. Hooray?
The economy could be shifted from a mass consumer economy to one basically centered around maintaining a supply chain for the lives of rich people - sort of shrinking the world economy down to a few globalized "chiefdoms" where the majority of labor is machine labor, plus whatever few people are needed to keep things running smoothly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

This sounds incredibly vulnerable to sabotage or outright subversion.

Which wouldn't stop anyone from doing it, mind you.
Given the 20th century, I have a feeling the people who get to live a decent enough life on the "inside" will be jealously guarding what they have, focusing more on the threat of outsiders than how little the people on top contribute.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

yeah, this isn't going to happen. the sort of globalized trade you're imagining relies on energy abundance and a neoliberal world order that ensures stability and low barriers to trade. we're about to enter a world of severe scarcity, unrest and resource nationalism. the fantasy that you can just amputate all of the things that make the economy work and still have an economy can't actually function. there's absolutely no resilience built into this system, which relies on super massive and super vulnerable supply chains. no country has the insane amount of resources you would require to achieve industrial autarky, which means everything starts to break down because the plumbing system relies on pipes you used to import from china, the power plant needs turbines that you imported from germany, the roads need asphalt as they crack and spall. without a steady net influx of energy all systems break down and give in to entropy.
Just how big a resource crunch are you imagining here? Like, I'm suggesting a scenario where 99+% of the population is left to essentially die without the support of the technologies that allowed humans to reach the numbers they have, so presumably you're expecting access to energy to restrict enough to not even meet a few percent of our present world's consumption? The need for energy is going to be massively curtailed if it's not used to feed, clothe and keep warm/cool the great unwashed masses.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

so again, I don't know where automation comes into this. you have a new feudal social structure with a bunch of peasants, and you might even have electricity and running water. an automated workforce becomes an expensive waste of time and resources
The difference is that technology means peasants serve no purpose, since the only thing they offer is physical labor that can be better performed by machines serviced by just a few people. What's an expensive waste of time and resources is trying to get productive labor out of machines that get angry and tired, and take years to even become capable of providing labor. What's an efficient use of resources is restricting access to fertilizers and fuel, until you're left with a privileged class of servants/subjects numbering in the tens of millions, and subsistence farmers outside your class' direct control numbering around a billion.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

i'll admit, an automated workforce of genetically engineered slaves who are totally obedient and live on the same inputs as humans would definitely make regular peasants obsolete. but at this point we've departed so far from the realm of the practical that it's like saying humans can't compete with genies.
Tractors and robots are not actually genetically engineered humans.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

That might actually cause the sun to explode. There's a paper on this and the summary of it is that even though the suns like thousands of degrees most of it is still colder than a nuclear explosion so that's why all the hydrogen isn't immediately used up in the fusion process. However if you were to set off a nuke within the sun that could spark a chain reaction.
The sun is a million+ degrees out to about 0.9 of its radius. I'll believe it as much as I believe the idea that nuclear explosions cause chain reactions in Earth's atmosphere.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Quidam Viator posted:

The Carrington Event lasted for THREE DAYS, from Sept. 1-3, 1859. A couple full revolutions of the planet mean the whole world gets hammered, without exception.
What about things either north of the Arctic Circle or south of the Antarctic Circle, depending on the time of year, hmm??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

you mean the places where the earth's magnetic field is at it's weakest? well, you'll be able to enjoy some nice auroras before you starve.
I'm not going to trust you as an authority on magnetic stuff when you don't even know that it is actually where it's strongest. Reading up on the issue, people seem pretty sanguine about the whole thing, just citing a need to take transformer stations offline if such a storm was about to hit Earth, as opposed to "All electronics will fry" no matter what we do. Though I suppose 3 days without power would do a lot of damage on its own.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Quidam Viator posted:

plus, owned by Digiwizzard lol

The magnetic field is strongest at the poles.

Quidam Viator posted:

lmao we have taken this poo poo so far off topic, but as long as people are STILL arguing about my dumbass CME thing which isn't even economic... :laffo:

I can't believe i'm fuckin seriousposting about this poo poo still :hmbol: it's like the dumbest poo poo.
Of course it's economic. The response to the threat is economic, the prioritization of relief in a post (major-)geomagnetic storm world is economic, and losing power for days/months/years is economic - it's just the kind of economics our society sucks really hard at, condensed into a single dramatic event completely outside our capability to prevent. Trying to cordon off this sort of thing as "not economic" is just a way for people ideologically committed to the death of the state to defend that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Digiwizzard posted:

lets add polar cusps to the list of things you don't understand
Those are transient for any given area. Just hide your stuff while they pass overhead.