Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So who else is reading through Disunited Nations and nodding like a bobblehead doll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HelloSailorSign posted:

Hey remember the whole thing about selling nuke tech to SA?

If SA really wanted to they could just go buy a nuke and all associated technology from Pakistan.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cletus Van Damme posted:

Its not like its hard to find poor desperate women and addicts to volunteer to work as prostitutes. I don't know why someone would bother the massive risk to kidnap someone. I think drunk people falling off cruise ships makes a ton more sense.

That's nice, unfortunately in reality sex trafficking of kidnapped women is a horrifyingly large market in nearly every country on earth.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Tomorrow is gonna make 2008 look really, really chill ain't it.

I don't recall the largest ports on the west coast being 100% empty during that one.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats that mean.

There is a recession coming like a GHOST TRAIN.

GHOST. RECESSION. TRAIN.

AWOOOOOOGAAAAAA.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

In case it hasn't been obvious that there was no recovery post-2008 and we've been living on borrowed time for a decade.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PostNouveau posted:

When do the capitalists start jumping out of their skyscrapers?

Legit surprised we didn't hear about more short seller suicides from TSLA, TBQH.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I love that the past 4 weekends we were supposed to be having OT at the factory I'm at and the excuses started out at "we're giving you a weekend off of overtime" and "The guy who schedules overtime was out of the office on the day it has to go up on" to "yeah our supply lines are hosed up and there are a couple of things we don't have enough of"

My industry was already experiencing 6+ month delays in component shipments and I can't imagine the complete cessation of transpacific shipping has improved that.

We have guys driving nearly 1000 miles to scavenge parts from damaged components on other sites right now.

Mr Hootington posted:

gently caress the cascade effect this could have. Tech bubble may burst too.

If WeWork didn't pop the VC bubble, can anything?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ardennes posted:

Capitalism won’t fail, the majority of the population will have to face the stark reality of either violent revolt or never-ending slavery. Knowing Americans...they will choose slavery.

There isn’t a silver lining here except for some of the richest. China seems to be baked in as the central super-power though (sorry, I don't necessarily think the Chinese are flawless either).

China is sitting on pillars of glass and has no ability to become the next global superpower. As soon as the global economy shits itself and flatlines the country is going to implode. At the best it will end up a starving backwater like North Korea, ringed in by countries which hate it but protected from complete annihilation by its nuclear stockpile.

They have virtually no arable land left relative to their population and are wholly reliant on imports to feed and power the nation. In the event of any upset to the global order, China dies.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 9, 2020

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
gently caress, I forgot I'm only one hour away from the east coast instead of four like usual, and have to wait two hours for poo poo to pop off. :argh:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So is this dead cat or were we bamboozled by the severity of this?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thank god I have to go work in a 640v transformer room for the next four hours, and can't check this insanity from inside a 40cal suit.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I wanna know what firm sells social media minupulation bots for the financial industry.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The markets haven't been "normal" for like 4 years. Everyone has been winging it

This, look at the graphs, 2017 onwards has been the most unsustainable and ridiculously steep upward rally in history. A correction was inevitable, what we're correcting to is the fun question.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Did Saudi Arabia blink or is crude recovering rapidly in the futures market because this system is inherently detached from any reality?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Bulgakov posted:

like i know this means nothing but this is tame compared to the schizomadness charts that exist (and have big audiences) :negative:

I want to believe :pray:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

oxsnard posted:

Also HYG is barely up, credit markets aren't feeling it

Italy just halted mortgage payments, there's a lot of ripples in the pond today.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/a6239e12-5ec7-11ea-b0ab-339c2307bcd4

:thunk:

Rime fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 10, 2020

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Laterite posted:

Almost half of the country is working, great job!

I went to write out something about "even taking into account children and retirees...", and then remembered the USA has the same demographic bust as every other country and Trump is just highlighting how cripplingly shitfucked the pension liabilities are for the economy moving forwards. :getin:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Doubt we see a breaker trip today, just some muddling around in the low -3's.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Fellatio del Toro posted:

pandemic bonds? if I knew that was a thing I would have invested every single penny

They only pay out if there is no pandemic declared before they expire, which in this case was June. A bunch of banks were leveraged on them.

So the economy is about to poo poo itself and die. Appropriate.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

Lol the Fed is boosting overnight repo to $175 billion a day.

It is a good time to be a bucket seller on the titanic.

Bad news: still on the titanic.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

MeatwadIsGod posted:

God willing the market tanks hard enough to kill everyone.

:pray:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Carmant posted:

Hearing from a reputable source (wallstreetbets poster CatDelete who has family in the government) that a border shutdown will be announced tonight.

"This User Has Deleted Their Account"

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

E: Wow, you can't see that account with Removeddit, either, that's odd.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 12, 2020

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
gently caress me why didn't I buy $40,000 worth of put options on the SPY today, the economy won't exist by Friday anyways at this rate. :cripes:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
S&P 500 VIX up nearly 10% since announcement, DOW is down 800 and dropping.

Tomorrow is going to be a goddamned abbatoir.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
We're on track to be the 4th highest single day percentage loss ever, and the largest daily point loss ever. If this doesn't rally at the last second.

The ghost of 29 is inside the market, goons.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SKULL.GIF posted:

DOW 20,000 ON BLACK FRIDAY THE 13TH

gently caress goon, at this rate we're going to hit it in the next ten minutes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
20,976. -10.96%

Good. gently caress.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
LOL the only stocks in the DOW which gained today are Pfizer, 3M and P&G. And they gained BIG.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

RajCooper posted:

Stop. Chuds exists. Tomorrow will be a friday and the market will most likely rally. A rally in terms if the past week will probably mean it will maintain its current position +/- a few %. Monday will be the breaker. On Monday we will hit the circuit breaker again and probably the 2nd circuit breaker. The fed is going to inject .5T into the economy tomorrow which will maintain the standing. The weekend will pass with people with savings reading up on what the gently caress is happening and will see the fed injecting a cool 1T into the market and realize its loving broke and sell of their savings to cut losses. Monday is the real event.

This right here. The smart money is already either out or holding for the next decade because the losses would be too loving steep. Monday is when the dumb money panics.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

RockyB posted:

Yes, the US is hosed. But are they South Seas bubble hosed?

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1238177127951982594?s=20

(Shamelessly stolen from the UK Marxism Thread)

We probably don't recover from this pop, given things like resource depletion and climate change. Holy poo poo.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
VIX is down 13% what the gently caress is wrong with reality.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mrs. Dash posted:

Gonna laugh my way to the Chinese language classes if this thing is what triggers China's undisputed ascension into role of the world's primary superpower as it seeds its influence across the globe with goodwill missions and business deals while the US still trying to bake cans of beans in the flames of its economy and travel banning random nations Trump doesn't like.

The economic collapse destroys China as a united entity if it lasts any appreciable amount of time, and the past month of shutdowns and trade halt has already been cooking that goose.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
LOL we're gonna trigger the upper stop within the next five minutes what is this nonsense.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mr.Radar posted:

More signs of a liquidity crisis? Ally Bank is offering a special 1% bonus on new deposits from external sources as long as you leave the money in the account for at least 3 months, on up to $25,000. Ally Bank is heavily invested in auto loans, maybe delinquencies on those are starting to rise and they're starting to feel the heat?

Good way to prompt a bank run like Cyprus. :thunk:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Imagine if domestic air travel is halted at 3pm. :allears:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Anyone claiming a vaccine is bullshitting to pump their own stock price, for the same reason we don't have a vaccine for SARs or Zika years and years later. These viruses are hard and the vaccine tends to have a higher mortality rate than the infection itself.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This whole press conference is really just about boosting very specific stocks, isn't it. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Monday will be lame if we just erase all of yesterdays losses today. Booooo.