Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

tech bubble is real but i think it's really centered in silicon valley. ie. if the bubble bursts it's mostly going to affect north california

I live over 100 miles east of the bay area and its pushing 350K for a sub 2000sq foot fixer upper. In a place that's at least 45 minutes from a major highway. Kill all tech workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

i haven't read about this in years, but wasn't the US housing market bubble mostly centered in suburbs? I wonder what happens when you pull the cities out of that canada graph.

IDK about data but in rural areas like mine the only reason that merely a large amount of people versus the majority ended up foreclosed on is because a lot of rural families live in old houses their family has owned for a long time, and in urban areas obviously most people don't actually live in houses anyway. And it's not like flipping an apartment tower is an easy thing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

most of the places hit hardest by the housing crisis were in the west, where communities are often brand new and houses are less likely to be generational. it seems like the southwestern states (california, nevada, arizona), took most of the impact.

Dude you used to be able to drive through like, Citrus Heights and every single house on the street except for the occasional older house that the community was built around would have a foreclosed sign out in front

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

buy a remote cabin in oregon that won't be destroyed by an earthquake, invest all your remaining money in guns (stocks and actual)

Unironically, a remote cabin w/ some flat land for a large garden and maybe a root cellar or something is pretty much the ideal piece of property for any future economic situation. Mostly because living in the forest owns.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rated PG-34 posted:

i sure hope they recognize my land deed post-doomsday

Thats why you buy infrared property cameras and an AR-15

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably the greatest crime of technology is giving people the idea they don't need a community to farm or whatever

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll take my marxist shooting club buddies into the woods, where we will paint ourselves with blackberries and descend onto the villagers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

considering boise has a small tech boom going it is happening. problem is that it that not everyone wants to live in a state that has one kinda nice maybe city and the rest of it is filled with white supremacists.

Have you ever been outside the Bay Area. Orange county has the largest concentration of white nationalist groups in the country. Plenty of white flight insanely racist pieces of poo poo in the rural areas.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of which, within the Bay Area the mafia isn't known for being terribly tolerant

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byolante posted:

Oregon, noted progressive wonderland, wad founded by people trying to keep the blacks out and most of the landmass is trying to retain their heritage.

People are also very quick to forget that Oregon was getting in on the straight up Indian genocide that California did too, and also keeping dust bowl refugees out or putting them in ghettos

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let me be the neoliberals advocate here and say less people should smoke weed every day but employers shouldn't care either

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

Society should be less loving miserable that taking the edge off daily feels necessary

Well yeah. That's how u achieve that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read a kindle unlimited sci fi series about Earth getting put under the protection of a peaceful economic alien AI alliance type of deal. Somewhere down the line in the series a character mentioned something about negative interest rates on borrowing, converting even treasury bonds into high risk packages, and make work becoming an industry itself being the reason for the annexation and was like, dang, that sounds almost retarded enough to be a real thing that could happen

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

when the nukes drop everybody with student loans will be legally drafted into indentured servitude

The way things are going they're more likely to be drafted into the stewpots of the cannibal-raiders

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kromlech posted:

Let's hope the U.S. follows their lead

Finally some justice in the world

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nerds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

totally unlike ours lol

They learned from the master

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally as a somewhat nerdy guy I'm frankly terrified of what's going to happen now that a gigantic portion of the world is extremely reliant on information technology which is pretty much impossible to make at current performance levels without extremely rare metals. And the worst part is even if we had a viable interplanetary space program in place tomorrow it would probably still be too late

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sat on my keys! posted:

It was a very good post! If I waved a magic wand and made you King of the Tax Code and Bankruptcy Law, what would you change to help people like that mom? Let's say you can't just tax 100% of incomes over $100k and redistribute it or something, you gotta keep the basic structure of progressive income tax and payroll tax might still exist etc. Sorry if this is a stupid hypothetical.

Here's my hot take: people below the living wage shouldn't pay taxes at all, not just pay ~20% on their $10 an hour or whatever and get it back at the end of the fiscal yeae

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm talking about poo poo like computers being able to do calculations, which they do so well that they took over the name of the first job they automated. That's an extreme example, but there's a reason I wrote task and not job. You don't necessarily attempt to automate a job entirely, you automate tasks and consolidate the non-automatable tasks into fewer jobs. And don't tell me e-mail/calendar integration, now fitting in the palm of your hand, isn't more efficient than having to have secretaries for half your staff.

Digital stuff like that is probably more efficient but less effective imo. It makes it too easy to have worthless office communications and pointless meetings

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're forgetting that capitalism is not a rational system. The market doesn't follow any laws or forces. It follows what the capitalist class wants. If what they want is particularly unrealistic (fully automated trucking is probably one of these, websites with no product beyond selling marketing data definitely is), in the long term it might fail. But in the short and medium term, its going to gently caress things for workers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, magic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't help that most of the available jobs even with college training are worthless in the long run. Why bother when you can gently caress off and smoke weed all day.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean he's right. There's that post apocalypse novel some right wing shithead wrote about an EMP attack causing American society to collapse but a CME would essentially be the same thing. Pretty much none of our truly critical infrastructure is protected by faraday cages, to say nothing of 'non critical' stuff like mechanized farming equipment and factories

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

it's not like we can't exist without advanced electronics. In the short term, vulnerable populations would suffer intensely from the loss of power and disruption to logistics, with a lot of poor and sick people dying in the immediate aftermath. In the medium term, there would be massive wealth transfers to manufacturers as they replace their equipment and bootstrap our electronics production back into existence. In the long-term, everybody would have to buy new smartphones, and GPS wouldn't work for a couple of years.

I'm not stupid enough to think it's a civilization ending disaster but it's definitely a good way to watch people living in stupid rear end cities 20 miles from the nearest agricultural area that isn't a vineyard or almond tree orchard suddenly discover why paving over everything is a horrible idea

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Because of how specialized agriculture is now, no one lives 20 miles from a reliable food source.

Even in places that are thought of as agricultural, if they are lucky enough that this event happens right before harvest time, everyone for miles will be stuck eating nothing but corn meal and soy beans. Or cantaloupes and onions. Or whatever geography and comparative advantage has set as the preferred crop.

I live in a rural area that's far from rail lines so despite our heavy dependence on imported fruit and snack foods there's actually local dairy ranches and wheat farms and things like that. Although rear end in a top hat vineyard owners have been buying them out the last 10 years or so.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Greetings friends. I have no idea what a magnetic field is and personally the concept of something that can't be easily defined with a basic 3d shape and is also invisible is easy to me, which is why my smart brain tells me all charged particles are deflected by the earths field, somehow. Btw what's a van Allen belt.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If these retards cared about healthier food they would go to the farmers market and get actually fresh stuff but its all about having the latest trappings of bougiouse cosmopolitanism

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol who do you think goes to farmers' markets

they all charge a premium these days for what you get there now thanks to capturing those customers lmao

I live in an actual rural agricultural town. Nobody has organic certifications so the growing group of Sacramento tech workers go down the mountain for that stuff

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Collectivism is an American-friendly way of saying communism

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its really disgusting to see the property management companies and rentseekers continue to jack up rent despite the growing vaccancies. I guess 1 tech bro pays the rent for 5 regular people so that doesnt bother the owners.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Undeniably the stock market has gone up under trump and people like to use that as a big ECONOMY RATING number without realizing that a company becomes more profitable when it can legally gently caress over its workers

There was an article making the rounds about US retailers starting to give paid sick leave as a benefit and people getting upset that they weren't - maybe put it into law? maybe

I'm young and stupid but so far in my life the stock market going up has correlated with everyone I know having a shittier life so yeah. I don't think they really get long term profit increase from anything but slashing payroll

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trash Trick posted:

Everyone's life gets lovely. That's the point. That's life. You should definitely distance yourself from those who speak as though things are exclusively getting worse for years on end, and blame the world around them for their woes.

Go gently caress yourself, class traitor

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Federal interest rate changes seem to only work the way they should on paper except in the short term

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trash Trick posted:

You think that communism can eradicate the hardships of life?

do you really imagine a world where your needs are always met and you have a voice being bad compared to now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ol Standard Retard posted:

lmao the headline on CNN Money reads "DOW drops 363 points in rare market slump"

editorialize much??

Ahh, yes, the famous rare event of a bull market faltering

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
owning like, an apartment building or a rented out commercial lot is definetly an investment, although the former makes you a disgusting rentseeker

im not sure how a regular single family home could be an investment in any sense barring a sudden bull market or the property becoming valuable in the future. its like saying you invest in the auto industry by buying a new car

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ol Standard Retard posted:

this is how upper middle class Americans have been trained to think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we're in a Growth Economy boys