Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

When the gently caress is this poo poo gonna crash

I'm tired of waiting dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Can someone who's not a dummy wrt finance (like me) explain what this means

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

oxsnard posted:

those calls are worth zero if tesla shares are below 2500 next friday. If tesla is trading at 2600, they'll be worth $100, if it's 3000, they'll be worth $500

Someone sells those for $1.50 and its basically free money since there's an extremely low chance it'll happen, but if the shares rocket past, they'll owe the call buyers a shitload of money. Therefore, when they sell these calls, the usually hedge by buying some nominal quantity of regular shares. That's a real dumb explanation of "gamma," where prices refuse to go past certain numbers

someone is buying lottery tickets

seems dumb and bad

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
The term 'irrational market' certainly seems to make more and more sense the more I learn about this stuff

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Seems bad

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1294885533538308097?s=20

lol America's hosed

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Reading r/wallstreetbets is an absolute trip rn

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Some freak on Reddit posted:

Dear WSB, what’s the first thing you’re doing when you get rich off tendies? I know what I’m doing...

I’ve been sending letter after letter to Papa Musk for months, eager to set up a golf outing with him and Donny boy in Mar-a-lago. As soon as he answers I’ll take profit. The day would go as such:

Papa musk picks me up at my house in his private Tesla limo. We gay smooch (accidentally). It’s like a greeting kiss on the cheek, but we accidentally lock lips. This gets the juices flowing. This makes for an awkward car ride as we struggle to find common conversational ground.

We arrive at Donny’s golf course. He’s garbed in a skin-tight white polo and red maga hat, waiting for us out front. We greet each other by reciting the pledge of allegiance, then make our way out onto the course.

I suck at golf, so I ask Don for help. Don directs my stroke from behind me. I can feel Don growing “excited” while Papa Musk grows jealous. It’s not long before we make for the nearest forest and erm... “work on my short game.”

What about you guys?

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Another freak on Reddit posted:

A Prayer to Lord Elon

Lord Elon,

I know you can see this. Please accept our financial offering, and we hope it pleases you.

We have not lost faith, we are unwavering and steadfast in our beliefs.

We know you to be the provider of all tendies.

We shall name our sons, daughters, and half n halfs in your honor.

Please bless us with 500 EOD as we have seen the holy land.

May you deliver us from wageslavery,

Amen.

TSLA 600c 1/15/21 x 8

These people are mentally ill

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

aren't we all at this point though?

Sure but I'm glad my form of mental illness isn't making me post gay erotic Trump-Musk fanfiction

It just makes me make posts making fun of those people

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
lol sorry for posting funny reddit people my bad

e; wow what a bad snipe

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Dustcat posted:

oh yeah and the app stopped working after leap day because they wrote their own date functions lmao

e: but the "can buy but not sell" is a pretty drat sinister sort of glitch and i'm pretty sure the truth is gonna turn out to be they were doing some sort of leverage play with their clients' money and/or shares and it almost fell apart when the breakers started slamming

Post-mortems of all of this are gonna be highly entertaining

Like 'Bad Blood' levels

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1301593063039668226?s=20

lol

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
:f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:

^me rn waiting for TSLA to fall below $400

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
BUY THE DIP

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Okay now I see what you guys we're getting at this thread really isn't that much different than wallstreetbets

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Doesn't seem like a coincidence that the markets are getting hosed right after the first time was rent was due with no stimulus

:thunk:

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

lol

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Stereotype posted:

I'm very strongly rooting for the stock market to just completely collapse so that Trumt sends me a check with his big smiling face on it

:yeah:

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

e-dt posted:

Saw an ad for ripoff Robinhood on the bus today, what stage of shoeshine boy is that

What city?

I'm personally thinking we're beyond shoeshine boy territory but that's because I lust for blood

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
TSLA down in after hours, guess it's because it's not getting included in the S&P500?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sp-500-adds-three-companies-not-named-tesla-sending-car-companys-shares-down-2020-09-04

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/jowens510/status/1302003439350804483?s=20

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/StultusVox/status/1303004090574811137?s=20

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

did you forget to carry, it's down 32% from its all-time high close

also ~16th US company by market cap and still worth more than JP Morgan

Sounds like he's right in that it has so much more it can fall

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Giga Gaia posted:

its this thread. i dont recommend it

I don't get what y'all we're saying over the weekend about this thread being a dark read and comparing it to the climate change thread

Doomsday Econ is the only thread here that I have fun reading

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Giga Gaia posted:

i dont understand the 'cspam is so DARK' posts at all tbh. i guess if youve never read the news or a non-fiction book prior to 2016 maybe. i dunno. just lol at poo poo

Yeah I dunno I mean I don't read the climate change thread anymore cause it was too upsetting and the Succ Zone has just become a deep well of hatred that isn't that fun anymore

This thread though is just all of us riding the wild roller-coaster of NUMBER and I'm happy to be along for the ride

e; ^what he said

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
just in case noone here saw Musk's latest tweet re: BATTERY DAY

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1308148212876812289?s=21

buy the hype sell the news!

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

How the gently caress do you have $35k to lose when you're 22

Can't you lose more money than you put in trading options?

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
TSLA down almost 7 percent already today lol

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3636391-softbank-exits-stake-in-24-companies-exits-amzn-goog-tsla

What does this mean for number?

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Rutibex posted:

no worries asia and the west are just decoupling in anticipation of WW3

Twerk from Home posted:

no big softbank just has to free up some dollars to pour more into wework

So number go up, got it

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Smythe posted:

a whole ecosystem just snapped out of existence overnight. literally. my set is still there from march, the prop table has props on it pre-set for tomorrows show that never happened. there is makeup drying out in the dressing rooms.

I'm in the same boat as you just on the opposite coast (NYC Broadway and Off-Broadway).

I was working as a freelance musician and had a show set to have its first preview on Friday, March 13th when the entire industry shut down. I braved my way back into the city in mid-April to unload out my gear and all the tech tables were set up just the way we had left them. Apparently since then the ropes on set had to be replaced / removed cause they had started rotting.

The degree to which non-theater people I know don't seem to want to acknowledge how destroyed that industry is and likely will be for the foreseeable future has been kind of hard to stomach.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Smythe posted:

sorry to hear that.

it is really striking to walk into a theatre like that. frozen in place. its like a scene from an apocalyptic disaster movie.

It's okay man, luckily I had already mostly completed a MS in Comp Sci. (years ago I recognized the ephemerality of the career as a musician and saw the need for some sort of alternative means of earning a living) and my partner, who was also working in theater as an audio technician, completed a PMP certification after the industry went dark and she just found a job so I think we're gonna be okay.

My heart absolutely goes out to anyone in that industry who didn't have as solid alternative plans or means of achieving them the way we had. This includes so many of my friends and people I dearly care about.

This situation is also why I've nearly ended a life-long friendship because whenever I have anything to say about how hosed things are, all he can respond with is his TSLA gains. But that's a different story.

And yeah it was bizarrely surreal. Right before I got to the theater that afternoon I rounded Columbus Circle and saw an older Asian woman collapse on the sidewalk right as I passed her. Who knows whether that had anything to do with COVID but it certainly felt like I was witnessing the beginning of something bad.

And here we are now.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

"it's a good time to invest!"

Unironically what several people I know IRL believe

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1333759472683126787?s=20

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Mitch absolutely wants the economy to collapse that rules

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

i would bet that mcconnell was reading the same polls as everyone else and thought from september that the republicans would be absolutely crushed no matter what (instead of doing well at every level but prez) so putting his neck out to save trump was pointless

And now that he knows the GOP is probably relatively safe for the future he's happy to let everything go to poo poo under the Biden admin

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

How did I miss this:
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1333853973720207363?s=19

Elon wants to pull the ripcord

legit question what would this mean for people holding TSLA stock

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

:(

Certainly feels like I can kiss the thought of ever being back on Broadway goodbye

World is a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
I had the thought during that godawful convention that if Bernie had gotten the nom they would've spent the whole DNC talking about how bad he was.