Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

They had a smattering of non-game software and PC accessories 20 years ago, but from what I remember that stopped a long time ago. I dunno how they argue now that console games and plastic nerd kitsch are essential for working from home.

"Excuse me officer, haven't you heard of Twitch streamers!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

just lie on you resume fools

that works until they start calling places to verify things

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

yeah. we've been doing some vacationing and it's annoying as gently caress that we don't even have chip+pin, let alone barely any contactless. the few contactless we do have typically still require a signature when used in europe and you might as well lol about the chip. it shouldn't cost card companies anymore to also issue a pin if you want to use it. i learned you cant even use an american card at a self-checkout at a grocery store which was embarrassing holding it up the machine for several few minutes trying every card i had. their restaurants in general were way more high-tech and nicer overall too and it's cool you can just use a contactless cc to pay for bus/train fare instead of a dedicated transit card. clippercard here in the bay area is a loving disaster.

Use tap pay on your phone, it goes through as a pin transaction. No signature needed.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

OK Boomer.

There are many places that don't take Amex due to higher interchange fees, because Amex still thinks it's 1988 and they are a ~*prestigious brand*~ instead of just another bank. Also good luck outside of the US, where Amex acceptance is only slightly better than Discover, which is nonexistent.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my family had some weird costco membership through it

The story of Costco dumping Amex is pretty good

"HOW DARE THOSE KETCHUP SALESMEN THINK OF US AS JUST ANOTHER VENDOR!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1266089684737970182

why so pessimistic maybe the press conference will be about how we think that china is just swell

lol

massive unemployment? number goes up
millions of jobs permanently gone? number goes up
enormous queues outside of food banks because people are broke and on the verge of starvation? number goes up
trump might say something bad about china? :siren: HOLY poo poo WE ARE IN TROUBLE GET THAT NUMBER DOWN :siren:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Serf posted:

lmao "all the numbers are up! students are coming back in droves! we're only cutting the budget by 14% and permanently eliminating 87 jobs (in your department)!"

even if universities continue to operate online there are a lot of towns that are going to be hosed because they are basically in the middle of nowhere with the university as the central economic point. the university might survive, but a town built around the idea of 10000 students being physically present for 8 months a year is going to have problems

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

anime was right posted:

thats with the berniebucks! with them!

$600 doesn't help much when even in low cost-of-living states the average mortgage payment is $700+

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Don't worry when all the paperwork gets hosed up when the banks are overwhelmed with millions of foreclosures you'll still get to experience getting kicked out by the sheriffs

in some cases even if there is no mortgage on your home

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1278323722705747969?s=20

Just strap on your job helmet, squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land where jobs grow on jobbies

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xeom posted:

I love the manipulation of the UE numbers. I figure we are just a month or two out before they start saying its all over and we are officially recovering and that people are complaining and need to get back to work. THE EXTRA UE BENEFITS WERE A MORAL HAZARD AND HAS CREATED THIS SITUATION.

loving owns.

What do you mean 'before'? They've been yelling that it's all over and everything is fine and jobs are raining from the sky since some furloughed service workers went back to work last month.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Even the moronic, ultra-chud Florida governor extended the moratorium on evictions and foreclosures for another month.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Greataval posted:

I am seriously tired of payroll tax credits talking point giving it's so loving dumb. Also how are 1.4 mil new UE claims meshed with the 4 mil new jobs report I am a little confused on that part.

Those "new jobs" were furloughed service workers called back to work when things seemed to be getting better. Those new claims are from closures that started just before the end of the month as well as the ever increasing pile of permanently lost jobs that aren't coming back. There will likely be a huge influx of new unemployment claims in the coming week as the country enters shutdown part 2.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Orvin posted:

Sur La Table files chapter 11 bankruptcy. It plans to close half of its stores and put itself up for sale.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/business/sur-la-table-bankruptcy/index.html

now where will people pay $10 a piece for water glasses that a restaurant supply store sells for $1?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fits my needs posted:

so like, do the recently unemployed miss out on all the Bernie bux?

nah, they get something like 2 or 3 weeks worth. then they are hosed, especially since most of those continuing job losses are jobs that are permanently gone, not just furloughed service workers

a lot of those ended continuing claims are probably from people who were on regular unemployment from the beginning in lovely states where it's now running out or were called back to work for 5 hours a week

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fits my needs posted:

im glad im in :ca: and i told my wife to apply for unemployment on the first day she was told to stop coming to work at her school as a teachers assistant

do some states not backdate unemployment?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cool dance moves posted:

Imagine netflix but only original programming and the episodes last 5-10 minutes

And all the shows are the dregs that Netflix, Prime and the other pay networks passed on.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Every time I see someone in a Tesla around here, there are no visible hands on the wheel. It's only a matter of time before one of them confuses me for an offramp

I’ve already passed one on the highway where the driver was sleeping.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

They’re also counting people who have gotten 0 hours over the last 3 months as “employed” lol

and many "new jobs" are just furloughed workers being called back for 5 hours a week or so

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I never thought trailer parks would be a target of gentrification but here we go.

you've never heard of those luxury boomer snowbird trailer parks with waiting lists to get in?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1286745945158426624?s=20

it's going down. by which i mean everything is about to collapse

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

unfortunately moldova has been robbed blind

its in really bad shape

And a chunk of it along the Ukrainian border is an unofficial breakaway state that considers themselves a part of Russia. It’s lead by Putin worshipping sovcit types.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Crimea is a wonderful vacation spot. I highly recommend the place.

Pretty much every ruler in Europe has/had a vacation home there.

I was talking about Transdniestria, a little strip of land between Moldova and Ukraine that's only officially recognized by a few other breakaway states that nobody officially recognizes and where the people like to pretend that the Soviet Union still exists. Despite not officially recognizing it, the Russian army still has a presence there and enforces border checkpoints along a border that's not supposed to exist.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 30, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The US really hosed up by getting into a series of forever wars this generation. A new war to open another market is really what they need for the system to be righted.

the kids today really need a war of their own, not being sent off to one that has been going on since before they were born

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Literally this year, Iran retaliated with a missile strike on a US base and the US backed down.

The US blew up a top Iranian general and Iran responded by blowing up a bit of concrete and killing dozens of it's down people between the tramplings at the funeral and shooting down an airliner full of Iranian-Canadians, which sparked internal protests and international condemnation. You can condemn what the US did, but concluding that Iran came out ahead in the end requires some crazy mental gymnastics.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lol even trump is now supporting the extra $600 of unemployment money, if only temporarily. everyone save for the ghoulish old guard republicans knows exactly what is going to happen when millions are reduced to living on roughly $200 a week

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"post your skills on Nextdoor" lol

good luck making ends meet by working for boomers who want $1000 worth of work done for $50

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i work in a small independently-owned hotel. the owner gave my manager and i a choice of who stays and who goes; the extra $600/week was up in the air by then and the state UI website was down so I was freaked out enough to stay. been on third shift ever since and i'm devastated i chose poorly. i couldn't have known at the time but ugh i'd be sleeping in a tent in colorado right now instead of paying 60% of my wages on rent

You do have to be careful when doing that though and either VPN into your home network or have someone local file claims for you. As broken and outdated as those state unemployment systems are, they do log and geolocate IP addresses and people have been busted because the system noticed that they logged in from some ISP not remotely near their residential address or even in the country.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

This is such a succlib thing to say.

if you look carefully, that's the front side of the envelope and it's blank

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

actionjackson posted:

lmfao yes can meet on the internet and arrange a date at applebees or chili's

once all of the non-chain restaurants go out of business in the coming months, this will be the case everywhere

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

My extended UI stopped coming in and I didn't get any extra cash this week so I don't think everyone is getting it.

they're talking about it taking months to roll out because state unemployment systems are ancient relics and nobody seems to know exactly how this is going to work, never mind the inevitable court cases. plus, the states are already going broke so that extra $100 they are expected to cover is turning out to be a real burden

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 10, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm sure this is fine right?

Someone was shot in front of the White House.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

An actual "living wage" in NYC area if you have a wife, two kids, and the wife has chosen to raise those two kids (the basic "american dream" thing) is about $250k.

Isn't that $250k figure based on that stupid ":qq: IT'S SO HARD TO GET BY ON SIX-FIGGIES :qq:" chart that includes $20k worth of vacations, $100/day on food, $5k worth of clothes a year, thousands in charitable donations and both a 5 series/E-class and a Range Rover in Manhatten for some reason?

They bay-area at least has the excuse of tiny plots with garden sheds selling for $2 million now.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 11, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

*loses 22.5 million jobs*
JOBS BOOM IN FULL SWING! 9 MILLION JOBS GENERATED*!

*generated meaning furloughed workers brought back for between 0 and 10 hours a week

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

oxsnard posted:

https://twitter.com/StephanieKelton/status/1296402707486593025?s=20

lmao, the final crack ping

trump is unambiguously the lesser evil at this point

lol he's basically saying "it's austerity time"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Victory Position posted:

sectioning and partitioning out McMansions in what can be only described as "hellish microapartment complexes"

it was great when this happened in 2008. lots of paranoid karen types in gated communities going "WE MOVED HERE TO BE SAFE NOW A RENTER WITH A MOTORCYCLE LIVES NEXT DOOR!!!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eh, plummeting back to where it was 2 days ago. call me when it's dropping back to pre-july levels

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Pizza posted:

apparently my state of il is implementing the extended trump bucks for at least three weeks, as are other states, so that is also stemming the tide

there seems to be only enough extended trumpbux for 6 weeks or so, as some states that have already paid it out now have 'depleted' status

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol we had crop failures last year and people are starving from it now and I’ve previously posted about it in the thread.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/africa/coronavirus-famine-un-warning-intl/index.html

that was April. all the really bad stuff is in progress now, but you know it’s not like the US news will be taking about it. I mean why do you think China started that clean plate stuff?

"xinxin finish your food, there are starving people in america!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nothus posted:

Sounds like there's an opportunity in renting fake local addresses to remote tech employees. Like having a roommate that's never there.

Can you still refer to a P.O. box as a 'suite'?