Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

This is the defining theme of most 90s media: a sort of secure-well-to-do "midlife" crisis existentialism. "i have a good-paying secure job stapling stacks of papers but.. am I happy? woe is me! a white picket fenced tract-house in sprawlville, a wife who hates me, kids who hate me. what is to be? what is to not be? is happy? woe! alas!" .There were loads of existential-thematic movies from american beauty, groundhog day, truman show, being john malkovich, fight club, matrix, dark city, trainspotting, the brb, dark city, matrix, falling down, the game, truman show, office space, etc.

Because life was pretty good for everyone then, and people could afford to think more about their mundane rote lives instead of 'lol i hope i don't lose my job and go into medical bankruptcy and die!. also im renting forever and in a lot of debt, lmao this owns ahaha".

Since early 2000s, hollywood movies have strongly been more an escapism; just wanting to distract from misery instead of thinking about misery.. it's why there's so much marvel poo poo instead of a very typical 90s theme there of optimism but also existentialism.

i think FC actually doesn't hold up that badly: a lot of the themes of capitalism-induced alienation, isolation, reduction to a consumer transactional culture, etc are very real and prevalent still. OS mostly feel turbo out of date because "haha a nice windowless cubicle? gently caress yeah that owns i wish i worked in a cubicle farm open office SUX!!"

I think you're kind of projecting media onto society at large tbh

"Everyone is actually a white suburbanite with a middle-class white-collar job" was never, ever true, but mainstream movies and media in general was a lot less diverse and a lot less tuned-in to other demographics or the problems of anyone other than the white middle-class.

it's like watching friends and thinking that everyone in 90s NYC lived in super swank apartments while working crappy jobs

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

where’s that adtech ecosystem deck that goes from like 100 to 1000 to 10000 companies in three years?

most of my income comes from contract development work for three big clients: one medical testing company and two adtech companies

the former is about to layoff, like, everyone, but they're probably going to zombie along and keep shoving work at contractors like me so whatever

the latter two have been on the verge of death for as long as I've been doing work for them, and I honestly can't wait for them to loving die. I just hope I can keep overcharging them and looting their bloated corpses until the end

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

incredible

that’s a ton of pressure on everything

and we're pretty much fully reopened at this point

plus that number is going to get worse since we're only just starting to see the rolling layoffs outside of the service industry

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Unemployment being worse than the peak of the worst economic crisis in living memory is GREAT NEWS

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Wait have the reshutdowns been more than strongly worded but ultimately unenforceable guidelines? Are we really doin this

We are definitely shutting down again and it's already happening. CA is rolling back basically everything, TX is predictably doing too little but getting there, even FL is showing signs that they're going to crack soon. NYC indefinitely delayed reopening bars and restaurants, and it's looking like CT is going to pause reopening even though our positive test rate is under 1%. Starting to hear that the state is already reevaluating school reopening guidelines.

there was never any real question that a second round of lockdowns were coming imo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Blinkz posted:

OK like how does Tesla have positive number of deliveries in one of the most craziest economic times of human history? Every other car manufacturer is down! They adding extra zeros to their books or what?

Tesla doesn't sell a lot of cars and they only really sell to fairly wealthy people who haven't been impacted much (yet)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You don't really need a megasandy to turbofuck NYC

The problem with Sandy was the flooding. All you need are a lot of really bad flooding events, year after year, and you'll pretty much bankrupt the city as it tries to keep infrastructure operable. You still wouldn't wipe it out, but it'd be really, really bad. It took years for NYC to recover after Sandy and there are still long-term issues that haven't been fully repaired.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

NYC has literally 1/25th of the entire country's population, probably close to 1 in 20 people in the US live in the metro area, and it has almost all the country's rich housed there.

You can whine that it sucks but it is legitimately our biggest and most important city.

New York state is almost fully 10% of US GDP and the NYC metro area is the richest metropolitan area in the country, and not by a small margin. NYC getting hosed up in one big event or in several smaller events over a few years would be really disruptive to the US economy as a whole.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 14, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

ahaha

some big credit unions and banks have paused offering conventional mortgages even to high credit scores (780 high) with greater than 20% down payments and secure jobs.

fuuuuuccccckkkkk.

lol that owns.

wait what

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Stereotype posted:

I feel like every economic recession I can remember has been some own-goal bullshit caused by entirely internal factors and delusional greed. The housing crisis wasn't caused because millions of houses disappeared, it was because banks were lying to themselves and everyone else about how much future income they could expect from a bunch of over-leveraged debtors who were tricked or willingly signed up for mortgages they couldn't afford. The Dot Com bubble bursting was just wild over exuberance about stupid unprofitable ideas that eventually met up with reality. Nothing caused the actual crashes though, it was just an intrinsically broken system that tripped over itself and plunged millions into destitution and poverty.

This time there is an actual external crisis this time

The real damage here seems to be mostly internal, though

The US government is absurdly wealthy. We should have been able to weather a lockdown for a few months without collapsing the economy, but our social safety nets are so rotten and weak that even a fairly hefty stimulus package couldn't shore them up. The fact that we're now facing a mass eviction crisis is entirely an own-goal and really has nothing at all to do with the pandemic. An external event blew our house of cards over, but that doesn't mean that we didn't gently caress up by building our house out of cards in the first place.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I mean the really funny part about this is that even the average amounts are completely useless as retirement accounts

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

This poo poo is hosed. The company I work for (commercial aerospace hardware) had a force reduction in January, of the ppl I will keep on touch with less than half have found a new job. There was another huge round of layoffs (reduction from 550 to 270) about a month ago and none of those people are working. Recruiters are only going after the senior most engineers and offering them entry to mid level positions. Literally the only places still hiring are MIC.

Pretty sure we're just getting into the real job losses that are being created by this recession and not just directly the result of businesses locking down

Medical testing company that I do contract work for is laying off 1-2 staff members per week, all administrative/IT/development staff. Everyone I talk to there just assumes that they're all out of jobs already and nobody is finding anything.

This poo poo is only getting started and it's going to be a disaster

edit- I never remember seeing people this hopeless about their economic prospects and I lived through 2008 like everyone else that posts on these stupid forums

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 24, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Ardennes posted:

It is both capitalism, but also particularly the American model of governance, which seems to be reliant on high levels of military spending, almost nothing on infrastructure, and few taxes for those with wealth. It is both a problem with capitalism, but also specifically the American form of capitalism.

Also, the US has itself up by being so ideologically inflexible that no hint of reform is possible (contrast this to European market economies which kept their populations at least partially pacified.)

imo it's a big mistake to consider the US system ideological in any sense

We're basically just a plutocracy and not a very exciting one. We'll make all kinds of ideological compromises to funnel money into industries that the donor class cares about. There's no part of capitalism or a market economy that the US government actually cares about, except insofar as those concepts enrich certain people. The fact that there are some true believers at all levels of government is just a weird quirk of the system.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

witchy posted:

enlightened socdem sweden "saved the economy" by refusing to lock down and doomed thousands

They also didn't save their economy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

MysteriousStranger posted:

Big Law and Big Consulting are actively slashing staff for computer touching.

It's happening everywhere but I think it's a goon thing to assume that this is a "computer touching" problem and not a "recession coming home to roost with white collar workers" problem

I'm seeing layoffs at both of my clients now. Computer touchers are being cut, but so are administrative/office staff of pretty much every stripe. Middle management actually got hit first.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphemism posted:

yeah. every company is going to be in "keep the lights on" mode. if you are building new things, expect to be cut in the covid world.

yeah, I also think a big question to ask right now is how scalable you think your job/department is.

lots of people tend to think that they're safe because they work in organizational roles without realizing that their job isn't so important anymore when the organization has 20% fewer employees to support

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Shouldn't have thrown away those holes

every DD around me is still drive-thru/takeout only

is this a national policy or just something that's happening with my local stores?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

lmao the us economy will never recover

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

oxsnard posted:

this economy is predicated almost entirely on consumer spending, it's literally screwed without UBI. It loving rules

you know my favorite loving thing right now

this is a 33% annualized drop while personal income went through the roof thanks to expanded unemployment

we were handing out $600/wk to unemployed people and were only able to stem the bleeding to "literally the apocalypse" levels

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

reminder: the sanctuary districts were infinitely kinder than whats actually coming

yeah, the best part about the sanctuary districts is that they weren't presented as malicious at all and were just an honest attempt to help that went really bad

even the loving cop in that episode wasn't really a bad person

totally unrealistic levels of optimism

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tony Tone posted:

lol you loving pansy

3 of my molars fell apart and disintegrated within months after i got fired and started smoking and drinking like a motherfuck
one of the molars had a small screw in it from when i was a teen dont remember what for, which was embedded into the tooth or the bone or gently caress knows what, so as the molar fell apart only the screw remained standing, it looks metal and helps me chew now

protip: the pain goes away, eventually the nerve endings die off too so you dont get pain spikes no more. its just a tooth you should have like 30 more dude

or it gets infected and you get to experience the worst pain and most disgusting poo poo ever

Had the same thing happen to two of my molars years ago. I wasn't even particularly poor, but I was self-employed in the pre-ACA days so lmao at actually being able to afford any kind of medical care at all. I'll also never get to do anything about the remains of those teeth no matter how much money I have because dental care is just laughably expensive.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Thing about climate change is it is simultaneously already too late and never too late. It is too late now to avoid significant warming and major disruptions. But it can absolutely get much much worse. 2C is bad, but 4C is much worse and 6C is even worse and 8C is worse still.

the fun part is that this is the kind of situation that breaks people even harder

lots of people can't cope with the idea that they need to act even though action won't prevent the outcome that they're already associating with a "worst-case" scenario

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphemism posted:

there's an enormous amount of demand for houses and very little supply, along with a huge influx of money. i dont think that supply will last, but i'd bet on housing prices going up and then supply filling the market and companies buying at full price to maintain their investment. nothings being built either. we've lost like a full year of housing supply lol.

i still think there will be a time where prices will fall, but it will be short lived. and then everyone iwll be locked outo fht housing market forever

I had a friend in real estate try to convince me to sell my house about a month ago, and his spitball guesstimate was, uh, significantly higher than the appraised value after the house was rebuilt from the ground up last year

I will not be selling my house, however, because I literally cannot afford rent anywhere nearby and probably couldn't afford to buy another house within 20 miles lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

deadwing posted:

the death of the american economy is priced in

number always understood that the economy was a lie

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

Good news, everyone!

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1290261679520059393?s=19

edit: I meant to say "Good news, Number!"

haha lol I know someone who's going to get evicted and have to live on the street if nothing passes in the next couple of weeks

lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

i'm the joker now

what's fun is that every person on the verge of eviction/foreclosure has already been financially ruined. lots of people who likely drained all of their savings or owe a lot of money in late utility or medical bills. lots of credit card debt to fill in gaps. none of that is going to go away even if the economy bounced back to 100% tomorrow.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

None of yhe lovely restaurants in my town are desd

A bunch of the restaurants in my CT town and the surrounding area have gone into one of two life-saving modes: massive patio expansion or just indefinitely take-out/curbside/delivery only. Bars are still closed, but restaurants have been allowed to open at 50% indoor seating capacity since June. Everywhere still seems completely empty, even on Friday and Saturday nights.

Anecdotally, my buddy that works in sales for a food distribution company that mostly supplies restaurants is saying that they're seeing lower volume than they were at the peak of the lockdowns.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

holy poo poo

this would be an "okay" number in a normal month. if this is even close to the actual rate of gain then the us economy is going to be turbofucked for a decade.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I don't know if this belongs here or the capitalism thread or the covid thread or all of them, but CT got loving rocked by Isaias and it's hilarious given that this storm wasn't even that bad

I didn't lose power, but like half the street lights in my town have been out for two days now. I've lived in this general area most of my life and I've never seen some of these lights out for more than a few hours. There are still trees blocking streets everywhere. There are still huge portions of whole towns out of power. It's all absolutely crazy for a storm that was in and out super fast and followed up by absolutely perfect weather for cleanup/repair crews. I think I saw one UI truck actually out doing something all day today, which is also weird as gently caress after a storm.

watching things collapse like this over a minor as gently caress storm is something else

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

935 posted:

I'm not completely convinced covid / economic collapse is to blame here. In VA our electric company said it ranks in the top ten for how many people lost power. At one point my wife jumped in the bathtub because of the tornado warnings and the surprisingly strong wind at the front of the storm.

It wasn't a nothing storm, but it's more that clean-up and repair is progressing very slowly and right now it looks like the power companies were woefully unprepared. CT's regulatory agency for utilities is about to start an investigation into both of our power companies over their response. My city's mayor was also complaining today that United Illuminating has been ignoring reports of overgrown power lines here for months now.

I wouldn't really blame COVID specifically, but there was clearly an incredibly botched response by the utilities.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they don’t, they just have too many to repair all at once.

in the case of CT, it's their own loving fault

the utility companies have absolutely failed to deal with problems that were obvious to everyone. there were two trees down on my street that I know for a fact my neighbors have been calling about for months.

I've lived in this area for long enough that I've been through much, much worse storms than this. the amount of infrastructure damage that Isaiah caused is bonkers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

net work error posted:

Having dealt with many hurricanes and power outages I can sympathize with not having power for days. It sucks rear end and not in a hot sexy way.
If a utility company is prepared for an upcoming storm they'd have brought in people from other states to boost their numbers to work on repairs once the event has passed but it sounds like that didn't happen up north.

In this case, it's less about preparation for this specific storm and more about the utility companies failing to maintain their infrastructure in any way at all.

Even our extremely lovely, extremely pro-business mayor has been complaining this time around. The city has been trying to get UI to clear back trees in a few major areas since the end of the winter, and they haven't done it. We've had trees come down on power lines in the last few months on sunny days with no wind. A real storm would probably cripple the state for a month.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's a 45 day horizon the order. This is the poo poo he pulls when he doesn't intend to follow through at all, and I'd be shocked if this ever goes into effect.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

so basically a huge chunk of the "re-employed" people are in precarious jobs lol

It seems optimistic to even use a term like "precarious jobs" tbh

If there's not something else going on here, then the discrepancy between this jobs report and ongoing unemployment payouts means that a huge number of these "jobs" are people taking home table scraps. Most states have fairly strict income limits for unemployment, so either there's massive UI fraud happening or BLS is counting huge numbers of people who earned a few hundred bucks throughout the entire month of July.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 7, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

the funny thing is that a straight $400/wk extension would have accomplished the goal of temporarily kicking the can down the road in the cruelest manner possible, which seems about par for the course

paired with an eviction moratorium, $400/wk would probably be enough to stave off total disaster while also making people suffer more and then just putting the ball right back into congress' court

seems like this EO is actually a lot dumber than that tho

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

saw this in some D&D thread and it is hosed

like this is a contender for scariest graph of this whole loving thing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

states are really hosed. the country is suspended in wilde coyote timing off the cliff but it's gunna fall real soon. and it's not like they can print money either. i still say as bad as 2020 was, 2021 is going to be so much worse.

yeah, those graphs are scary because they're essentially future bills

like I'm sure everyone posting in this thread gets that the entire idea of a "v shaped recovery" is just hilariously dumb, but it's still terrifying to see the damage that's already baked in

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

also the whole "you need 250k to live in a city" argument has always been ludicrous to me because a huge majority of people in any big expensive city in fact earn far less than that

People don't like to acknowledge that there's a big loving difference between your current lifestyle being precarious and simply living a life where you're constantly on the edge of total financial ruin.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

my school didn't have a dedicated petroleum program so half the chemical engineers dreamed of working in oil. Everyone would get so excited when the Exxon recruiter came to campus.

same. my experience with a cheme degree was that basically everyone was running off to work in either pharma or oil, and those were the industries showing up on campus to lure kids off with huge starting salaries.

edit- and this was a school where the chemical engineering curriculum really had no focus at all on petro or bio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

oxsnard posted:

fyi i wasnt trying to be actually scientific about it but that's an interesting anecdote

so i worked for a massive chemical company for 3 years. The entire company was run by chemical engineers from top to bottom, sales, HR, logistics (which yikes what a nightmare). The old guard were stuffy old assholes, but they hired a shitload of new grads in 2012-2018 and it was about 75% female ChemEs. Very interesting dynamic for sure, most of them were pretty cool and nice and it will be interesting to see what happens when they take over the company in a few decades

I wonder if this is a new trend? I did my ChemE degree way the gently caress back in 2012 and as far as I know the overall industry ratio was still around 2:1 men to women back then. I remember attending two different diversity seminars and neither one of them highlighted chem as a notably diverse field.