Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
https://twitter.com/flakealso/status/1252303770660167680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Zberan Madowinty posted:

I haven't followed this thread (or this forum really) in a long time, but now that I'm out of a job, might as well shitpost.

So, catch me up, Trump single-handedly destroyed the American oil industry for decades? Cool.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dBBtlsfBsJM

e: alright idk how the gently caress youtubes work on this shitass forum.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Thankfully our reptilian masters are really focused on what's important right now: unionbusting

https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1252268284029755392

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

ymgve posted:

Thankfully that's not as grim as it sounds - they are tracking metrics for each store and displaying on it a country-wide heatmap, they are not using the heat of workers to see where too many of them are gathered at once.

Well snakes see infrared heat sources so bezos doesn't need tech to do that for him.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

on the one hand, yay the economy looks like poo poo

on the other, does it even loving matter? surely "ordianry people" are worth only like 26% of the global economy, so the powerful can just change the rules to whatever suits them and stay on top forever

how are they gonna dump all this useless oil? surely not in the worst way imaginable....

gulfs already dead so time to yeet a billion more barrels a oil in there, as a treat, like so many car batteries uwu

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

punished milkman posted:

wrong, white people now love feline dairy products

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Don't sleep on the Arctic ozone hole. If it's related to a drop in stratospheric hydroxyl availability then strap the gently caress in.

What do these words mean

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Didn't Clash for Clunkers end up destroying the used car market and loving over the poor who suddenly couldnt find an affordable ride?

Yes and it's also an ecological disaster because the carbon emissions & other heavy manufacturing garbage used to make a new car are so insanely worse than driving a less efficient older vehicle until it finally gives up the ghost.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you get his name by any chance?

e: Oil related question - will we see lower prices for consumer goods because of reduced manufacturing and transport costs or will the difference be pocketed like saved labour cost from offshoring?

Consumer goods pricing is essentially completely unmoored from raw material costs unless they INCREASE drastically. When it decreases, well that's free real estate.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

every single entertainment company is going to get bought by Disney because:

A. Disney fans would rather starve than not consume disney content

B. Disney probably has the cash/capital to stay afloat even in this unprecedented crisis for quite a while

C. neither of the former are true for any other entertainment company

oxsnard posted:

it's still loving insane that NFLX is worth the same as disney. Disney's revenues are like 5x higher and earnings are 10x better plus their IP is valuable and Netflix's... isnt

Disney is hosed. Disney's media arm is basically just the marketing budget for their resorts and merchandise sales which are their main revenue streams and have gone to zero right now and will stay there for the length of this depression. IIRC Disney also made a move into the physical theater market last year which is obviously not going to pan out for them.

Yes, they've made a good play to try to consolidate a lot of the media market and launch their own streaming service, which is probably their only saving grace at the moment, and a smart transition for their media arm to be a real income stream rather than mostly advertising for their other streams. But those purchases also included ESPN (no sports) and FOX Studios (no active production anymore). The existing content they own the rights to is all the value they have for the foreseeable future, much less the immediate future which is all corporate types and shareholders care about.

UNfortunately for Disney, a lot of their content is still on competing services. That will wind down for sure but the goal here is:
1.) Consolidate content library
2.) Match or undercut competitors' pricing for however long it takes to drive them out of business and/or drive subscribers into our walled garden
3.) Increase pricing to actually profitable levels once everyone's hooked and there's no alternative.

#2 was only possible with the income from their other revenue streams which have completely eaten poo poo, and is weakened currently by the availability of their content elsewhere. Beyond that, subscriptions only work if they are cheap enough and CONVENIENT enough to be easier than piracy. The depression will see more people resorting to piracy since their incomes are no longer disposable and the convenience becomes a non-factor.

Don't get me wrong, Netflix is absolutely hosed too in the long term. They went from mail-order-Blockbuster to a proof-of-concept that streaming works, but networks have their own in-house streaming now and will stop licensing their poo poo to Netflix so they can rake in that money themselves (while still showing ads and getting that revenue too lol).

They also have no avenue for growth aside from new subscribers which is just loving stupid for a subscription model. You would generally want:
1.) Other products for your existing customers to buy (in this case maybe content tiers, or like basic Hulu vs. ad-free Hulu). Non-existent.
2.) Price increases. Happening a little, but hampered by how competitive the streaming market is now compared to even 2 years ago and it costs them subscribers every time.
3.) Exclusive & superior product. They do have some exclusive stuff but not enough to warrant maintaining a subscription all the time.
4.) "Stickiness" aka something that makes it hard to leave Netflix for a competitor. Not really anything they can do about that aside from maybe implementing startup costs like gyms do so that if you leave now but want to come back to see OITNB season 19 it'll cost you more. But since their product is trivially easy to replicate people will just pirate instead.

So Netflix is stuck with not only having to retain subscribers at all costs, but also signing up new subscribers. There comes a point when their market is saturated (roughly right now or very soon, since they've basically completed their global expansion) and that becomes impossible to sustain.

No, the REAL value Netflix provided which is why major networks & studios gave them content and seed funding is circumventing & weakening the entertainment industry unions, which will reduce production costs for everyone.

oxsnard posted:

Jim Chanos on Netflix.

This is him gently implying that they're up to some dodgy accounting

https://twitter.com/WallStCynic/status/1252746116132732930?s=20

Not digging into the root numbers but this is pretty normal. I think Netflix beat their estimates by like 2m subscribers and they were all late in the quarter so if we assume they all signed up March 1: $2m * $10 = $ .02b delta for Q1. This is really close and I'm not even taking into account how hosed up exchange rates are right now and Netflix is global and has to restate in USD. The March numbers will also be pulling forward people they expected to sign up in Q2 so they might even adjust their forecasted new subscribers DOWN for Q2. The revenue for a subscriber isn't recognized up front, it's recognized over the subscription length, so it's not sexy when looking at revenue numbers alone which is why the added context of new subscriber # is important.

Not saying Netflix isn't cooking their books they absolutely are and there's a million ways to do it with a subscription business, but this isn't the smoking gun.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Please no one buy a car, new or used, until the economy actually craters and then Corollas hit oil barrel prices. And when that happens, keep driving your old piece of poo poo until the repairs cost more than the car. Then just buy another old piece of poo poo. For the environment.

Signed,
This guy who drives 80s Toyotas.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Reminder that Disney's ceo quit suddenly in February because he saw what covid was gonna do

Haha yes I forgot to mention this. Replaced by the parks guy no less who was by all accounts doing a fantastic job until, you know, February.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

oxsnard posted:

I think Disney is a terrible investment but it should be worth more than netflix

Define "worth"

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Xaris posted:

that's kinda weird because they just launched Disney+ which is basically Hulu, or easily could be. or visa-versa

ttho i guess it doesn't hurt to milk consumers for both bc people are idiots. much easier to sell 2x $15-$20 services than 1 $30/month service.

Oh I caught your edit. Yeah imo it makes more sense to keep Hulu separate since it's serving up Fox's content catalog + maybe NBC Universal? Idk if Comcast is throwing that up on Hulu or not whatever.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

oxsnard posted:

There are probably only 20 S&P 500 companies that I would be willing to bet have a zero percent chance if going bankrupt in the next 5 years, no matter what.

Disney and Netflix are not in this group. So I'd look at Enterprise Value, Disney at like $220 bln and Netflix at $200. In the event of a liquidation there's probably *more* unsecured debt at Netflix than Disney.

Disney + Marvel + Star Wars IP could be sold for tens of billions of dollars so Bondholders would come out of it probably with at least 70 cents on the dollar. In a world where Disney is declaring bankruptcy, Netflix is probably doing the same and liquidation of there assets would be pennies on the dollar. poo poo man, the HY bond market already acknowledges this fact based on their debt performance

:hmmyes:

I wasn't disagreeing I was honestly curious since stonks are fake and meaningless as evidenced by Disney's spike & Netflix's fall last month when they announced their D+ total subscriber number which was like 1/3 of netflix's and no one was thinking about parks that day I guess.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

If Disney and Netflix are both going bankrupt who is going to have tens of billions to waste on ip for the now completely dead market

Private equity.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

P much my point, if disney's gone then I can't imagine there being any kind of entertainment sector even still around that could make use of its IP

It does have a whole lot of real estate and machinery to sell off that netflix doesn't, though

Disney was facing serious insolvency for like a decade straight not 20 years ago. Obviously things are different now but it's silly to think in the year of our coronavirus 2020 that change is unimaginable.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Pick posted:

where did rask ask for this and who is that person

if you're inputting offsite crap which you apparently are as there's no post anywhere then that's stupid lmao

I think it was the succ dems thread. Anyway, what do you think about autistic people?

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Why are new cars a bad idea?

Not only are you wasting shitloads of money but it's also insanely bad for the environment just to manufacture a new car. Please drive your car into the ground and then buy another used vehicle. It's literally like planned obsolescence with cellphones except the old phones work exactly the same just fine.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Pick posted:

lmao why are you posting about me in a thread i have never posted in you loving weirdos

Could have been the covid thread idk. I have no idea who you are but I'm curious, what do you think of autistic people?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Even if you:
1.) don't believe climate collapse is going to fundamentally reshape human society in 20 years (which it already is),
2.) think that this unprecedented and long-term demand-collapse rapid depression due to covid won't either,
3.) think your 401k is really yours and untouchable when Obama literally gave banks amnesty to forge paperwork and seize houses that were owned outright by the residents and possibly never even had mortgages serviced by those banks,

it's impossible to overstate the importance of this:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the first generation of people using 401ks for nearly the whole of their retirement, after the transition from pensions, are actually starting to retire now. so its an experiment whose results are starting to come out

the results are not good

bob dobbs is dead posted:

scroll down to ideal and actual 401k balances, lol at the comparison. power law distributed, of course

https://www.personalcapital.com/blog/retirement-planning/average-401k-balance-age/

look also at the personal capital users dealie. this is mint for 6 figgie computer touching fucktards like me, so those are the figures for upper middle class peeps

Unless you have rather a lot of disposable income, your best case is that it's woefully inadequate to fund your retirement. If you do have that kind of money to throw at a 401k, then the risk of a society-altering event happening to gently caress over a large but relatively illiquid and inaccessible asset is a lot more important. That's why I shifted my portfolio entirely to fourloko original recipe.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

This thread: capitalists are pulling away from the rest of us, their control of assets with unjustly high returns continues to widen the gap between rich and poor

Also this thread: buying capital is a scam, don’t do it

Having a 401k doesn't make you part of the capitalist class. You know how having some stocks and a trading account doesn't make you Gordon Gecko, but rather the sucker getting bilked by those with real power and resources and HFT algos because there's a winner and a loser on every trade? Yeah it's that.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

No bid COVID posted:

It's 2010, the absolute heyday of HFT. You do a trade in your 401k, buy some SPY or something. An HFT firm is on the other side of that trade. What do you think HFT means? It means that within a second they've already bought some SPY from someone else. HFT firm makes 0.002% off your trade. You on the other hand see a 10% annually compounded return over the next 10 years.

Retail investors, unless they are absolute account churning retards or doing something genuinely sophisticated, do not need to worry about HFTs.

The sole purpose of the finance sector is to concentrate wealth at the top and if you think otherwise or that goon q public can reliably pull one over on them then idk what to tell you.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

No bid COVID posted:

No, the sole purpose of the financial sector is to pay itself whatever regulation and the market will allow it to get away with.

Hate to break it to you but "the market" and "regulations" don't actually apply to finance. They are not playing within a set of rules, they make the rules, and often do so post-hoc. You can tell by the never-ending bailouts and Goldman knowingly selling its clients garbage while betting against them in the last downturn and still being around today. Who was on the other side of those trades?

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Pick posted:

He is talking about the regulations that govern how much the finance sector can charge for certain services it provides. These are absolutely enforced.

For now. I literally just pointed to the example of banks being given amnesty to illegally foreclose on houses they didn't own. I'm talking about the forest and you keep calling me over to come look at this tree.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

There's far too much distilled stupid to respond to but just lmao

Pick posted:

No, if you think that laws mean nothing, even good laws to help people by putting limitations on companies and/or the rich, because the government inherently selective enforces and will only ever protect and/or serve the rich, that's a libertarian stance. Suddenly a lot of all this discourse genuinely does make more sense to me now.

Ah yes of course just as noted libertarian thinker Karl Marx said.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Pick: now to take a big sip of water and see what's happened to finance regulation since the 70s

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

mila kunis posted:

i think its a good idea to invest in retirement schemes because if the system crashes or the rich come for you you're hosed either way, but if it doesn't you get something at least. what else can you do

spend that money on drugs and videogames instead

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

wolfs posted:

this only drains funds though. saving is cool!

the one pleasure i have in life is watching numbers i kind of control go up

:yeah:

That's cool too since you theoretically have more control over & access to that than a 401k. This is also my preferred hobby (xstraightxedgex, videogames are for heathens) except now I'm watching that number go down.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

and yes people itt are treading very close to it

I'm gonna need you to show your work on this one.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

it's not that far of a jump to go from "law don't apply to the rich" to "why have laws at all, then?"

There is absolutely a big leap between "the law will not protect you at the expense of its makers so you should not rely on it" and "abolish all laws" so if someone's going to accuse me of the latter they better come with receipts.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

it really isn't, though. if you got to make the laws, why wouldn't that first statement apply to that system too? why would you protect others at the expense of yourself, the maker of the law? the leap between that and "all laws are subverted and should therefor be abolished" isn't really all that far.

dictatorship of the proletariat. At no point have I made that argument despite what Gazpacho and apparently you believe. foh with this dumb d&d bullshit.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Its way easier to infer from your posts that you love legalism and want to hug & kiss the Constitution despite recorded history than it is to infer from my posts that I'm an anarchist or libertarian.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Agean90 posted:

If laws exist only to punish me for certain actions but let others get away for the same thing then why should I support the law? After all if they get the protection of it while also not being obligated to follow it then I'm just supporting something designed to screw me over. Why should I give a gently caress about order when some rich dipshit can get away with a hit and run because his dad owns a car dealership? To somehow pretend the law deserves respect while it's applied selectively only allows for atrocity under the guise of civility

In short the exact sort of :decorum: cspam has poo poo on the past 4 years

Don't forget that if you think a law sucks, or the legislature who made it might selectively enforce it, you must oppose all laws on principle. This is a very reasonable inference, actually.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

i didn't say you were a libertarian or anarchist, just that the leap from "laws aren't applied equally" to "abolish all law" isn't that crazy. the missing step would be "and laws can't be applied equally", which isn't something people have said here.

Quetzadilla posted:

foh with this dumb d&d bullshit.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Blockade posted:

Good to see you changed your mind :)

rip to this poster who's gonna eat a probation for posting picks own words back at her

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Gentlemen! You can't post about investment vehicles in here this is the economy thread!

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

face down rear end up thats the way i like t h e e c o n o m y

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

euphronius posted:

I’m one of the few goons with a pension

I’m about 34% sure I’ll see it paid out

Between covid and pence saying gently caress to state/municipal budgets no aid is coming from the feds, it's more like 3.4%

E: wait this is assuming it's a public pension when you might have a special unicorn of a private pension I guess in which case it's .034%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

euphronius posted:

yeah. tho pensions have dedicated non tax funding (as long as there are public employees lmao ) so there is a backdrop cash flow and old people dying en masse helps the ledger A LOT

why pay a pension tomorrow when you can get kickbacks today