Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love the dualies, rolling around is so fun. Any general tips for using them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ignimbrite posted:

The bucket is real and strong and is my friend.

How do I get the clothes shops to change stock?

I think the first game changed stock every day?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

what differentiates the ink brush from the octo brush?

Inkbrush is weaker but swings faster. It's more of a melee assassination tool - come up behind someone, mash the hell out of ZR then dash away. The inkbrush is also faster when it comes to its paint dash, it's very easy to just bug out with it. I think the inkbrush maybe paints a bit more as well?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gunder posted:

Some questions about gear:

Is there any difference between gear bonuses that are in primary bonus slots, and the ones in the smaller slots? Is a primary buff worth more?

Do bonuses stack? I have a hat which has +special meter gain in both slots, should I scrub one to get a different bonus? Assuming two identical bonuses on the same item don't stack, do they stack if they're on separate items?

This is how it worked in the first game, no clue if it still works here:

3 small abilities = 1 main ability. Abilities stack, but have diminishing returns. You can stack 3 main abilities' worth before they stop stacking.

So in theory you can have 3 of the same main ability, and then 9 of a different sub ability. Then you'd have the max effectiveness for those two abilities.

Some abilities are obviously not stackable, like ninja squid (which removes the splash when swimming through ink). However, those abilities will generally only be available on specific gear slots. If ninja squid is available on a shirt, you'll never see it on shoes, for example. Stackable abilities will appear on whatever, though.

Finally, the manufacturer of a piece of clothing determines what sub abilities it can roll. Each manufacturer has one sub ability it favors, which is more likely to be rolled. Each also has one that it dislikes, which has a lower chance to be rolled.

Again, this is all based on the first game. Stands to reason that it applies here too, but no guarantees.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bizarre deformity posted:

You can get Ink Resistance Up as a sub-ability on any gear now, not just as a main ability on Shoes like in the first game, so I think they might have changed it for other abilities as well.

Edit: ARMS is good, not as good as Splatoon though

Possibly, but Ink Resistance in this game mentions that you also take less damage, so That aspect might stack.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there some other purpose of buying gear with less than three sub slots other than fashion? I know you can just invest more poo poo into it to unlock full sub slots, but I was wondering if even "trash" gear had a use in chunking or something

It may be worth it based on the manufacturer brand of the gear. If the 3-slot version has a manufacturer that dislikes a skill you want (making it much less likely to appear) , or likes a skill you don't want (making it much more likely to appear) , then it would probably be better to get a lower-tier version that has a better brand.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

On the other hand scrubs cost 20k no matter what so it might be worth it just to keep leveling 3 slotters

(I don't play salmon run religiously/win a lot so if you're swimming in money disregard this)

Yeah, didn't necessarily say it was cheap, just that there was a reason to do so. If you wanna minmax to get the freshest load out and rise up ranked, paying attention to brands is important.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^Ninja squid is alright, but Ink Resistance is more important so you don't get caught up on enemy ink when flailing about. Being a pest isn't a bad idea, but never give up the chance to splat a dude. Also, don't go into a group unless you're super confident, as you'll probably get killed. If someone isn't alone, just go find someone else to splat.

JackDarko posted:

I know killing someone with the brushes isn't the point but when you get the jump on someone should you not bump them with the brush and proceed to mash the shoot/melee button?

Ink/octo brushes are all about murdering fools. You approach from a blind spot then mash the poo poo out of the trigger to try and kill them. If they see you coming or manage to get away, you should back off. Any ranged weapon will tear you to shreds, so if they can put distance between you then you're probably dead if you stick around. Use your paint run to bail ASAP if things go poorly. You should never intentionally bump someone with the brush, instead get in their face and then tear it off.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 24, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Remind yourself that there's only one consistent element in all of your matches.

its you

This. You may get some bad losing streaks, but over time you'll hover around where you belong. The other team has 4 chances of getting drooling idiots, your team has 3 chances to get drooling idiots. This means that unless you too are a drooling idiot, your team will have a greater chance of winning. as you'll have fewer drooling idiots. Maybe your drooling idiots are so much worse than theirs that you wind up losing. Maybe this happens multiple times in a row. But statistically you'll keep moving up in the ranks until you get to the point where you are the drooling idiot, then you'll start dropping back down to where you belong.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I finally got around to trying out the tri-slosher and holy poo poo. I went 24(7) / 7 on my first match. That thing feels loving unfair. Even more so once I got used to the 1-2 punch of burst bomb > slosh. That poo poo is bonkers.

I do miss my sloshing machine, though :smith: I hope it gets added soon.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. Fetus posted:

Reminder that there's a Tri-Slosher set coming with the Splat Bombs and an Autobomb Launcher. :gonk:

For the time being, realize that quite a few other weapons outrange them (well, the Slosher itself. Burst Bombs are a different story), and it's actually better for you to be on the low ground in some cases. (Really helpful to keep in mind for Tower Control.) If they ambush you though, just hope their aim sucks.

Honestly the burst bombs and ink shield are like the perfect combo for tri sloshers. The burst bomb lets you two-hour super quick, and the ink shield protects you at super close range.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sploosh-o-matic fuckin rules if you stay really aggressive and get right up in someone's face. The crap range and accuracy don't matter if you're right in their grill.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Getting matched up against other Ketchup teams a fair bit. Though I'm starting to think while Ketchup has quantity, Mayo has quality.

In splat 1, I think most of the splatfests had one team win the popular vote, and the other win the actual game win%. I think the running theory is more kids are likely to choose the popular one, so the unpopular one has a lower chance of getting you matched up with them, so skilled players can carry harder.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

In splat 1, I think most of the splatfests had one team win the popular vote, and the other win the actual game win%. I think the running theory is more kids are likely to choose the popular one, so the unpopular one has a lower chance of getting you matched up with them, so skilled players can carry harder.

Still holds true.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can you still add a slot / reroll a piece of gear if you're out of snails by paying 20k?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

gently caress I missed almost every splatfest in the first game despite getting it launch, that was the only way I was able to work on my gear

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lol if the ridiculous amounts of clickbait didn't tip you off that the video was crap

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo the splatbrella owns for splat zones, especially on these maps. You can get the sprinkler up above the zone on both maps, and the special is great for controlling the zones. Also the brella is great defensively in general, it's so good at keeping enemies from pushing in.

Fun things the shield can block:
Ink jet bullets
Splash downs
Pretty much every bomb

It might even block the baller explosion, I haven't tried yet. It's super great at holding a position!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rexroom posted:

Well now, this certainly raises the profile of the Object Shredder.

Honestly object shredder is a lot better than lots of people give it credit for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYUTHvPW8Q

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Personally I get way more annoyed at the octo brush than I do the trick slosher. It feels like it's pointless to use the ink brush, since the octo brush hits farther and kills faster. Also feels really weird that the melee weapon has longer range than some guns.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
After a massive losing streak struggling to stay in A rank, I switched over to the L3-Nozzlenose and starting owning bones with it. Dunno why it never clicked with me before but it rules.

That's all.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to switch to the L-3 once the variant with the burst bomb comes out because I can't figure out curling bombs for the life of me

I love the curling bombs, but honestly I use them more like a utility tool than a weapon. The key thing is that they ink as they travel, so if you wind up with your escape route cut off a lot of times you can chuck a bomb and then swim along behind it for an easy escape through enemy ink. If you need to get somewhere fast, you can just hurl one out and squid along behind it, not needing to stop and spray every few seconds. It also functions pretty decently as an area denial tool, as it takes a while to blow up and can ink a surprising amount of area.

It’s also worth noting that the bomb colliding with an enemy does about 25 damage, which isn’t a lot but can be useful for giving you a little bit of an extra edge - especially if it’s a really tight area and you can hit them multiple times with the bounces. If you really want to try splatting someone with them, you can also hold the throw button down to “cook” the bomb, giving it a shorter fuse. Even cooking it for a split second or so can really gently caress with people, as they’ll expect it to keep moving.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

what abilities do you usually run on it?

Not sure exactly what I’ll want with it, yet. Right now I have Ink Recovery Up, Ink Saver (Sub), Bomb Defense Up, Ink Resistance Up, and 2 small Ink Saver (Main) - however that setup is mostly just cus what I have with decent abilities, they weren’t specifically chosen for the weapon. I think Ink Saver Sub is good with it cus I love curling bombs, but the Ink Recovery and maybe Ink Saver Main feel not so necessary. the gun’s ink consumption is surprisingly little, I don’t think I ever actually run out of ink on the drat thing. If I were to swap skills out I’d probably try swapping out Ink Recovery Up and maybe Bomb Defense Up for Run Speed Up. Also, of course, the generally useful abilities like Ninja Squid, Tenacity, Drop Roller, etc. I’ll probably play around with Thermal Ink too, as the gun has a decent range and it can sometimes be difficult to keep a bead on the enemy if you don’t splay them immediately. It’s easy to get your first hit on a dude, but your second (hopefully won’t need a third) is harder, and Thermal Ink can maybe help with that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

In the datamine it's in there so hopefully they'll add it. Also excited for the "as fast as you can push ZR" gun (though my finger won't be so happy)

I looked up the datamine poo poo and oh my god there's a champaign bottle that's reworked into a gun and called "Squeezer" I cannot wait for this holy poo poo.

Also glad to see that the Sloshing Machine is on the agenda, I loving loved that thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

raditts posted:

Did they make the Luna Blaster slower in this game? I was so excited to use it because it was just an unstoppable force of death on Tower Control in S1, and it seems to shoot so slow now that I could barely get one shot off at an enemy before I got annihilated (the fact that the netcode often makes me explode as soon as an enemy looks at me notwithstanding). Am I just imagining things? It feels almost as slow as the regular Blaster.

The Rapid Blaster on the other hand is a really good range weapon, and I hated that one in S1.

I dunno but it definitely feels that way. Luna Blaster was my go-to “get poo poo done” weapon in the first game, but I can’t loving make it work now. Whenever I was sick of losing and needed a few wins to keep my rank, I’d swap over to the Luna Blaster. In Splatoon 2 I could probably count the number of wins I have with it on one hand, I dunno what they changed about it (i know that the ink usage was nerfed HARD) but it just doesn’t click anymore. It could also be due to Octobrush and Tri Slosher being much stronger in this game (or at the very least, much more prevalent), thus making the Luna Blaster less powerful because there are many other close-range threats compared to the first game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I finally unlocked the Clash Blaster and it rules. How do I git gud with the stingray though?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly in A+ I'm more tired of octobrushes everywhere than Tri Sloshers. They feel like they kill even more quickly, at surprisingly long range, and the autobomb is way more annoying to deal with. Last night I was up against two octobrushes on one team, and they just took turns hurling out autobombs and goddamn.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty sure the clash blaster is the king of terrible guns.

In Training posted:

I think Ive gotten killed by it once in like 100 hours so I think it just sucks. I know personally I couldn't ever gel with it

I like the L-3 and the Clash Blaster :smith: The (pre-patch) clash actually helped get me up to A+.

The stats on the L-3 are actually really good, it just has the semi-auto as its downside. Its accuracy, range, damage, and rate of fire are all top-notch! You just gotta be able to aim good while firing multiple times, which is easier said than done. It could be argued that at that point you should probably use the Jet Squelcher or the Splattershot Pro, but that kinda argument can be used to disregard quite a lot of guns.

Clash Blaster feels kind of like a pseudo-melee weapon. You get in someone's face from a blind spot then blow them up before they can respond. The Clash blaster is unique in that because it's a blaster, you can hit people from weird angles where you're relatively safe. The Luna Blaster fills a similar niche, but I think the time to kill on the Clash is quicker than the Luna, in exchange for needing better accuracy (cus if any of those shots miss, you're probably not getting the kill). However both Luna and Clash suffer from the fact that the Octobrush and Tri-Slosher fulfill this role really similarly, and are way better at it, but them's the breaks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

Clash is a 3 hit splat now, it was a 4 hit splat pre-patch. (From my experience in A rank TC, I didn't think to test it in the range before jumping in)

The patch doesn’t say anything about increasing the damage, but increasing the ink coverage might up the damage slightly? At any rate, it does 30 damage for an indirect hit, and 60 damage for a direct hit. This means from full, you need 4 indirect hits, 2 direct hits, or 1 direct hit and 2 indirect hits in order to secure a kill with it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

"Woomy" isn't a pop idol, damnit!

Wait, is that Garu or Girl, katakana's a pain to code switch.

Probably "Girl"

My lovely translation is something like:
Interview:
“Miss, which [splatfest] side are you choosing?”
“Woomy”
“huh?”
“WOOMY!!”

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Decided to switch over to the Sploosh-o-matic for the first time in a few days and

Is there not an S- rank or did I really skip it after breaking A+ like twice?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

I'm happy for more autobomb subs because they're easily the biggest nuisance in ranked and I'd like to be on the dishing out end and not the receiving end for once since I don't use the octobrush or custom blaster

Is the sloshing machine autofire? what's the difference between the other buckets?

edit: according to the datamine once the nzap 89 comes out it's going to be permanently glued to my inkling's hands

It's basically the polar opposite of the tri-slosher. Whereas the tri has a shorter range but with a wider hit box compared to the regular slosher, the sloshing machine has a longer range but a narrower hit box. Visually, it shoots out a big glob of ink that appears to spin as it travels. It functions a little bit like a blaster if I remember correctly, in that indirect it takes more indirect hits to kill than a direct hit. I think it was two indirect hits or one direct hit to score a kill in the first game, but I might be wrong. At any rate, the weapon is really good at area denial - so the autobomb is a great addition for it. It's very hard to approach someone using the weapon if they know you're there, as it has huge range and can cover ink easily.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Currently 18/5 on my w/l ratio for ranked with sloshing machine. Boy did I miss this thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Night Blade posted:

It fires faster and in a unique ark. It also has the blaster's critical hit mechanic.

It's also more effective at a close range than a blaster, since if you graze an enemy squid with it you'll still deal damage.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The extra range and the fact you don't need to get a direct hit mean it's real good at area denial and is hard to approach. If you're smart with it, you can make it very difficulty for enemies to make it through choke points to where they need to be. You can keep enemies away from splat zones and the rainmaker for a surprisingly long time, especially against popular short-ranged weapons like the octo brush, tried slosher, and sploosh-o-matic. If the ~meta~ shifts towards more long-range weapons it could lose some effectiveness, but as it is I think it's a super strong consideration.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My very first shift as a profreshional, someone quits before wave 1.

We still managed the win :getin:

Gimbal lock posted:

That's kind of hosed up that they've finally started using these for advertising, imo

There was a Transformers one in the first game, this is nothing new.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
22-7 w-l for my invisible bros before getting to Queen :toot:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if it's different in splatfests but the matchmaking takes so loving long in this game, I feel like I spend almost as much time sitting in lobbies as actually playing.

It's definitely much longer during splatfest

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

When I am running a Splat Roller I take the time to cover the entire spawn area, especially any places the enemy cannot traverse to.

My theory is that you don't win by inking the most territory, you win by having the most inked territory at the end of the match. Therefore, thoroughly inking territory the enemy cannot reach and which cannot be taken away from you is especially important because you're guaranteed to have it at the end of the match.

This does delay me in getting to the front by ~30-45 seconds. Does that harm my team more than I am helping? idk, hard to know with certainty.

If 4 of their team rush center and only 2-3 of yours do, those 2-3 will die. Then the enemy gets center, and starts pushing in towards your base. Eventually the other 1-2 members of your team run into them, and probably die from being outnumbered. Now the enemy controls 2/3 or more of the map, and your team is constantly split up from staggered spawn timers. It's a very advantageous position for the enemy team.

Rushing center is super important, even in turf war. Yes, it's important to cover the small bits and pieces around your base, but you can do that later in the match. Those areas aren't likely to ever be controlled by the enemy, so you never need to worry about control of those areas being contested. If you save them for later, then it also means that you can save the special meter you earn from inking them for later, giving you more specials throughout a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. Fetus posted:

2100+ is about average.

People really overestimate what "average" is. I would probably say that 1500-1800 is around average, up to around 2100 is good, and anything above is probably great. As pointed out earlier, winning all 7 placement matches will get you to 2100, but that means that 7 other team's worth of players may have lost theirs. Winning 7 matches in a row certainly isn't "average". I'd say average is winning like 3-4 of the placement matches, and seeing where that dumps you.