Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For real getting stuck with the Charger in Salmon Run is a miserable experience. Even trying to fight Steelfish with the roller is better than that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god,

Salmon Run teammates

You all seem cool and nice and I love you and you're good at fighting and rezzing and positioning and all that good stuff

but holy poo poo

will you please

just once

help me shoot the goddamned mothership

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Why were people complaining so much about Hero Mode's stage 19? It seemed pretty okay to me? Scroll was a bit of a fucker but it's set up to allow you to try again very quickly so...?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Holy poo poo Octobrush Ninjas are just the most depressing thing to play against. Did something change with it? They seem to render entire teams utterly defenceless in Ranked, and I've not had a single game against one that wasn't utterly miserable and also a total shutout.

Also does anyone know how the game ranks players in the leaderboard at the end of ranked matches? It sure as hell isn't kills anymore; the last match I played had 8, 6, 3, and 12 kills, in that order.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Rexroom posted:

Just a heads up to folk who wonder when the next Salmon Runs are happening: You can see the schedule of upcoming Runs whilst in the square by pressing status, changing the tab to modes and choosing Salmon Run. It'll show the next one and four other future work hours, so you don't have to feel like you're on a zero-hour work contract.

Sadly, you can't look up the schedule of the only mode where the schedule is important in the section of the app that lets you look up schedules.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay so what is the deal with the Baller? It seems to be a total crapshoot on whether or not it kills people. Is it just really short range?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've discovered that I have two kinds of matches.

In one, I play heroically, I am squidkid incarnate, I make magnificent plays that capture the zone or whatever singlehandedly and get tri and quad kills before dying, but my moronic team can't hold the objective and we end up losing by like two points and I get docked despite playing amazingly.

In the other I am trash from the garbage and I spend my time running into enemy lines saying "please shoot me" and my amazing team carries me to a resounding shutout victory and I am covered in accolades.

There is no middle ground.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I got stuck with a crew so useless they busted me almost to whatever the rank below Overachiever is.

Shoot. The. Mothership.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Dual Squelchers just dropped and they're more beautiful than I dared dream

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's me, I'm the guy who actually likes using Inkbrushes in Salmon Run.

Sure I'm not gonna help much against Steelheads, and having to combat at melee range isn't ideal, but I sure as hell won't get caught napping in Salmon Ink while a bomb explodes next to me or Maws are under me or missles are landing around me. I can speed straight into The poo poo and get eggs and speed straight out. I can kill poo poo well enough given literally any support. My team loves me when the Grillers come because smallfry can't get anywhere near us (and I can do this while running away if I'm targeted).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here I thought I'd go to the mat for any weapon in Salmon Run but holy christ the Clash Blaster just loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

It has literally zero redeeming features or niches.

I guess it's okay for dealing with smallfry.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Dynamo Roller is frustrating to use in Salmon Run but it's important to note that it can roll over cohocks.

Also the pilot of Steel Eels if you can catch them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
But the Dynamo rules at Salmon Run...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Whoever said the Classic Squiffer wouldn't be good at Salmon Run was a god damned liar.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
TIL that Salmon Run doesn't call the loss even if everyone is dead so long as there is a splat bomb out somewhere.

Ask me how I learned this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god the Brella loving rules in Salmon Run.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Octo Expansion Opinion Roundup:

Extremely to Unbelievably Good DLC. Blasted through the whole thing in a day and a half, which I didn't really mean to do, but I was just having so much fun and didn't want to stop.

Most of the levels were pretty good, and a few of them were hella excellent. There were, however, a few absolute irredeemable stinkers. Everyone involved in Defend the Orb should never work in videogames again. Also the no-checkpoint ride-rail target-sniping missions can die in a fire. I'm also not really sure what they were thinking with the complete an entire multiplayer map by yourself rooms but they weren't too bad in the end.

8-balls and datapoints on weird rotating stages were the highlights from the test chambers. A couple of the boss remixes were pretty fun too. The IM logs were gold. All of the music was great. Iso Padre looks like Dr Eggman. Why am I the only one who sees this.

It rules when the standout high-point of a game is the ending, and the standout high-point of Octo Expansion absolutely is the ending. Holy poo poo. I grinned like a big dumb idiot for the entire last hour of the game. It was fun, inventive, and climactic, and also an enormous, prolonged Metal Gear Solid 2 reference.

The bonus boss is an enormous rear end in a top hat and they're lucky the BGM is so bangin' because otherwise I would have become one with the incandescent rage.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You guys, I've made an amazing discovery and the world must know;

https://twitter.com/fedule/status/1009233582609584129

How long has this been in the game?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's not an Easter Egg. Whenever Grizz says "nice haul", it just means someone in the room wasn't at the Profreshional rank.

Stop ruining my fun with your "perfectly rational explanations"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm loving the current Salmon Run and the slow realisation that the Dynamo Roller is basically a Charger in this set

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Was bored when Salmon Run finished so I started playing some Turf War just for kicks.

1) I forgot how much I love the Dualie Squelchers. I was running the OG Jet Squelcher for ages because I loved that it could outrange most guns that weren't Chargers and I wasn't really feeling the Dualies when they launched, and I don't know what's changed, but it's a revelation to me. Plus I will never be unhappy with Point Sensors as a Sub.

2) When the hell did they add so much music to the game? I played the poo poo out of Ranked at launch and I don't remember most of these tracks. I've been playing exclusively Salmon Run and Splatfests recently so I didn't get to hear any of this. I'm real happy there's so much variety now, and each new track they add makes it weirder and weirder that the last minute of any Turf War sounds the exact same.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
One of the reasons I love Salmon Run so much instead of Turf/Ranked is because it forces you to experiment with new and different weapons. I wanted to say, once, that Salmon Run would be better if it made allowances for player weapon choice but I can't really imagine it working any other way anymore.

Similarly, I know why they used the Special system they did in Salmon Run but I can't help be sad that we can't get Tenta Missiles out and fire like a million of them and make the game lag like poo poo and render at 240p for a while.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Jesus gently caress when a Griller wave hits in the current Salmon Run I recommend just jumping in the water to get it over with quicker.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, for all my complaining I've been on 400 or so since I started playing again, always Freelancing. It feels very weird to be complaining about teammates at this point but I have no idea how the game matchmakes beyond Profreshional.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://twitter.com/fedule/status/1014124848681926657

How many other ways are there to do this? I know cannon shots count. Can blasters do it? Can the regular Sloshing Machine? And of course the Grizzco Slosher but that's not really the same thing as this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Almost got busted down off of A on Splat Zones due to total bullshit having just eaten a x2.5 EXP sandwich so imagine my surprise when I then busted out 7 consecutive KOs and ranked up.

That's not how this is supposed to work, right?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay Splatoon Thread, I need a primer on local network play using The Shoal.

Specifically;

What restrictions will I run into when creating a brand new user on, say, four Switches, and going straight to The Shoal?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Good to know so far. What about weapons? Can you just use whatever in the Shoal or will everyone be stuck with the Splattershot Jr?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In news unrelated to whatever the hell all this is, I've rediscovered my first love, the .96 Gal, and I can't remember why I ever left, because I'm splatting squids/octos left and right with this god drat thing. Maybe I've just gotten better at aiming so I can actually hit people with the two shots per second you get from this thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Jiang Shi posted:

It finally happened

I wish you'd get a pop up for other hazard levels too, and not have to guess based on the quota.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kashuno posted:

Idk why it took me so long to get splat2 after loving 1 but it did. I’ve been playing it a lot since I picked it up last weekend and I gotta say that even at A/S rank, clam blitz is horrible

I love the fact that it's so easy for teammates to completely screw eachother over and all end up with 9 clams. Even if you go out of your way to be a team player, if all three other squids on your team aren't playing along you're still in trouble.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Do i have this right;

When you initiate local matches at The Shoal, you're using direct console to console wifi, and unless you input the secret button combo you're not using any kind of LAN?

Do I have this correct?

I did a test run of local play with some colleagues and it was a disaster. Everybody could see my room but nobody could join it without a generic "communication error". I thought it was down to some NAT bull poo poo from the office wifi but was it actually just the consoles being poo poo? And how come it worked in the test of the test at my house when the consoles were meters apart, but not at the office where they were inches apart if it's all wifi direct?

I'm going to bring my own router with a temporary network for the actual game I want to run.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(Clarification: all the tests I did were before I discovered LAN mode because I thought local play was LAN mode because why the gently caress wouldn't it be?)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god; does Nintendo really, seriously not allow Switches to connect to a network if they can’t use it to connect to the internet?

Does any aspect of local/LAN play actually work?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Takoluka posted:

Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8DX (maybe others) have wired LAN modes, but most multiplayer is networking between Switches over wireless.

That’s the thing though! Nintendo says it’s wired only, but it’s actually literally any network connection I don’t know why they explicitly state something that is not true and seems to be to their detriment, but the fact is, you can play in “wired” LAN mode on a wireless network. Now, I have a working router, which Switches can see and connect to, but they automatically disconnect when they can’t connect to the Actual Internet, so even though every aspect of this works, the Switch actively sabotages my attempt at creating a game. Every single aspect of this thing is needlessly stupid!

I don’t even know why local direct wireless play failed at the office.

I just want to get some people together for Salmon Run.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kaethela posted:

Dynamo Roller is a goddamn murder machine in Salmon Run, holy poo poo.

It's a strange one. You don't have the ink reserves (or, frankly, the speed) to be able to effectively range very far out of any "safe" zone and like Chargers and Splatlings you have to be thinking two or so seconds ahead of any given gambit, but on the other hand it can murder more or less everything in one hit, and is deceptively good against Steelheads too. The range on the vertical flick is real. So basically if you can stick with someone you're golden, but if you ever get caught alone and out of ink you are straight hosed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://twitter.com/fedule/status/1017386555881603072

oh hey there's other comments you can get.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hit Y to recenter the camera (level and forward relative to your character's facing).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can confirm as of today I am 1 for 1 on Hazard Level MAX.

I was wholly not ready but the team and the ridiculous loadout were big helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Grizzco Slosher has a number of just-so characteristics that make it incredible.

One shot directly at the cockpit of a Flyfish kills it instantly.

Because of its divebombing trajectory, one shot from the right distance at the head of a Stinger will kill it instantly. Because it moves so slowly, an imperfectly aimed shot will still deal helladamage.

A bunch of hits at center mass will kill Scrappers, Steelheads and Drizzlers.

A volley fired directly at an oncoming Steel Eel will pass through its body and kill it. (Careful with this one though.)

More generally, a single fired shot will basically kill any lesser salmonid it hits and give you a brilliant cover to swim under.

Because it passes through everything (if not murdering it wholesale), it's also excellent for reviving comrades who are otherwise hopelessly surrounded.

It rules incredibly.