Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I think splat bombs can set each other off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

H A T T A M posted:

I realized two things within my first 3 hours of playing: I'm godawful at this game compared to people who are good, and I need to suck it up and learn motion controls. I've been winning a lot of games, but a team ended up getting 70% on us and 30+ kills combined. Also, I'm using the joycon controller and my right hand cramps up really fast.

For me the only choice is the Pro Controller. Split nunchuks was alright but then I woke up the next day and my right wrist hurt so much I couldn't play for a couple days. I'd still use the Wii U Gamepad if I could.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

I always open one of the farthest gushers first. If turns out to be the Goldie it's a good thing it was found early instead of wasting 1/3 the wave finding it in a location where you're not going to be able to effectively return eggs. Even if it isn't the salmonids spawning from it don't pose an immediate threat to the basket area. If you open the ones near the spawn first and they aren't it, you'll have to deal with a bunch of salmonids on the way back when you do manage to find it. Other than using the gusher levels to guide me in the right direction, that's my basic strategy and it works pretty well.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

H.P. Grenade posted:

If there's a clutchier, luckier Salmon Run final round, then I wanna see it too. :3:

http://twitter.com/HPGrenade/status/934880802717908992

Leaf Lock fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 8, 2018

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

The Switch's wifi is so bad it can't reliably handle local wireless with other systems that are feet away without dropping. Wireless connections are a plague on this game more so than in Splatoon 1.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Night Blade posted:

The fact that even LAN is screw would explain some of the weirdness I saw during a splatoon 2 tournament I watched a few weeks ago. (People dying to baller who were well out of range)

I'm mainly talking about disconnects and not general lagginess. Every time I've seen a group of people trying to play local salmon run wirelessly, they can't do it. It will randomly drop connection making it unplayable. If that's endemic of the Switch hardware then it completely ruins the vision of the device as a go anywhere LAN machine that it was originally marketed as.

I do wonder if the tick-rate is increased if you're playing all wired LAN. Probably not because that would be good and stuff.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Shame Boner posted:

Sock longevity tip for goons: wash your feet with soap and water and trim your goddamn toenails regularly.

I don't get what the soap part helps.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

It stops spinning near the end so the team with control can ink it without it getting wiped. There are ramps near the spawns that are pointless to ink though. They always get wiped.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

All Splatoon dialogue is written in a tongue-in-cheek manner and would not hold up in court. :colbert:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Nintendo released some additional info about their Japanese Splatfest results:
pre:
Votes 43.23% - 56.77%
Solo  50.35% - 49.65%
Team  49.80% - 50.20%
Those are quite close numbers, which might tell us that the matchmaking system works as intended by throwing same skilled players against each other quite often.

It always shows up as 51% - 49% even when there's less than a percent of difference.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

It ain't right. When it's within a percent they should just give the actual numbers. It's a matter of Splatfest pride.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Also I played with a dude today who was level 75 and S+50 :staredog:

In the EU fest I played with the person that eventually got #1 in the whole thing (Plontro). Thought I was doing good and then the game ends and this person has 20 kills/assists. Their final Splatfest Power was 2719, which is over 100 points more than the next highest person.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Sade posted:

Is there a maximum number of snails you can get from splatfest? I made sock king and idk if I should keep going or not.

21 for the losing team Kings/Queens and 24 for the winning team Kings/Queens. You don't get more for playing beyond.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

I'm guessing the power ranking part of the match making either wasn't there or not good in S1. You used to get some random rear end teammates

Now your teammates are specifically mediocre/bad.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

... So how did Callie lose?

Nobody knows since they didn't actually publish per-region numbers. Therefore the results are void :colbert:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

The grizzco brella feels fuckin rad but it doesn't actually seem that great in practice. I still get very excited when I have it though.

It's good for quickly inking everything. That helps the round continue to run smoothly when everyone has freedom of movement.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

I don't get much out of the sick burn nature of the dialogue and would rather them be more pleasant toward each other. At least it's more balanced than it was in Splatoon 1 where every other line from Marie was some put-down or sarcastic remark. Pearl and Marina feel like less shtick-y characters in general.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

TurkeyFried posted:

:perfect:

I can't draw for poo poo so my husband does my entries:

I've seen this one.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

I think that'll be it for me after...100 games.

73 - 27 for Team Comedy.

Highest Splatfest Power: 2408.1
My previous highest was 2350~ and I made top 100 that time, so I hope it's enough to do it again even after factoring in all the new players.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

We in there :woomy:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Marie must be pretty special to Callie since Callie becomes depressed after the Squid Sisters break up. Callie also seems to have difficulty handling the pressures of fame without her. They still lived with each other, but rarely spent time together anymore due to being busy with their own things. They were in the process of fixing that when the events of Splatoon 2 happen. Marie also has a line in the game that goes "I just can't keep up a conversation with anyone besides Callie...", which is odd since Marie is supposed to be smarter, so that must mean she just likes Callie that much as a person squidperson to enjoy conversing with her that much. ~Squid Sister Lore~

Squid Sisters need to stick together.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Final tally 44-13 for Team Gherkin.
Highest Splatfest Power: 2410.7
Top 100 here we come :woomy:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Why even give Europe food-centric Splatfests. They gently caress it up every time.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Dad Jokes posted:

What are people's splatfest power rankings coming out of this? Not sure how good being in the 1900s is, since everyone seems to be in the 2k range.

Then again, I'm still B+ in normal ranked v:shobon:v

Pretty disappointed. I usually do better, but being on Team Love is not easy. S+ starts around 2100.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Got to double bonus in 4 games.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

They so increased the swim speed salmon run. Did I miss that?

It varies depending on your weapon.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

raditts posted:

I'd rather be a Chicken Champion or a Chicken King.

The only compelling argument I've seen for Team Chicken.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

They figure it out once you get to S and it becomes much more fun.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Also everyone is ignoring the most important update: Callie will show up to hang out with Marie now.

2018 is now good :woomy:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

How does the new salmon run points retention work? I haven't played SR in ages but Moray Towers is in rotation so ...eh...

Used to be it would reset at 40 regardless of where you ended at last shift. Now it will reset at 100, 200, 300 or 400 depending on where you ended at last shift. If you ended at 999, it will still reset to 400. This has made it less of a grind, but more difficult overall due to people more often having higher pay grades than they would have had in the old system. There is also a new intro when your team reaches the maximum pay grade. https://webmshare.com/play/g0bob

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

I played for both sides this time. I favor Marina's team, but I had to try the white ink. I have NA and EU copies of the game, so I just went Team Egg in EU and I did a lot better there, although I only played enough to get to Egg Queen.

NA: Team Chicken

Total: 44 - 20
Mirror: 3 - 0
Adjusted: 41 - 20
Power: 2334.3

EU: Team Egg

Total: 20 - 5
Mirror: 7 - 3
Adjusted: 13 - 2
Power: 2371.0

Sorry, Marina. The white ink :cripes: Hope you win anyway.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

:what:

You mean you just made two profiles.... right?

Nope. It's a long story that I won't bother you with. I do like the option of playing EU Splatfests and looking at what people have posted on the EU plaza.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

The new Marie content is going to be a great incentive for me to finally finish doing all the levels with every weapon

You mean Callie? She'll probably just show up after beating the game once, like Octavio does.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Booyahs are earned, not given :colbert:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One Booyah at the start of any round lets you know the other squidkids are cool if they booyah back :colbert:

It's actually a surprisingly decent litmus test for guessing the quality of players you're paired with for the round.

Wise squids Booyah because they have something to Booyah; fools Booyah because they have to :tipshat:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Salmon Run 200 is bonkers, I can't even imagine what 400+ is like.

I'm at 960 right now in freelance and I wish I could go back. I seen some poo poo.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah especially with how awful it is to draw on that thing. A lot of people use their computers and transfer it using an arduino thingy to automatically draw it pixel by pixel. That's what I'd do.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’ve enjoyed doodling with a stylus but I already had styluses lying around.

https://twitter.com/BonzoESC/status/915774322681057280

Sure you can do stuff like that, but try to draw anything that requires precision and you'll want to die pretty quickly.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where do I go to find other modes besides turf war? I hit level 4, so I can customize my clothes and guns, do I have to wait yet to open the other modes?

Level 10 for ranked mode. You need to get to B- in any ranked mode to unlock League. Don't know about Salmon Run, but it's open right now. You have to do a tutorial and start off in toddler ranks.

Leaf Lock fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Better than nothing. I'm afraid Splatoon 3 won't have it at all.