Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah the pacing is way too fast compared with the LN/Manga and they skipped a lot of stufd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Coming into this completely fresh without having reaf the LN. Enjoying it so far.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I only experience Fate through the shows, and so far this one is giving me what I come to Fate for.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ldlkqu.mp4

https://my.mixtape.moe/ukwfmd.mp4

https://my.mixtape.moe/dyfdqe.mp4

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What I have learned here is that Mordred is the best Saber.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Mordred is a Good Girl and a huge dork who says she hates her dad while actually being her biggest fan

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Bakanogami posted:

Mordred is a [...] Girl

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Dealing with Mordred is simple. Do not badmouth King Arthur. Do not praise King Arthur. Do not treat her like a woman. Also do not bluntly treat her like a man. Do not behave in stiff manner. Do not become infatuated with other Servants. Properly hear her opinions. Simple, yes?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I made a thing. Who likes old Internet memes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56e1ttuvaA8

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really like mordred's fighting style

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chumbler posted:

:hai:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mordred is the Brett Favre of Sabers; just havin' fun out there.

The Funslinger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see a great amount of Mordred in this thread and I'm glad for it.

I just hope the series itself has as much and it doesn't end up focusing on everyone else and ignoring Mordred. 14 Servant/Masters pairs + Jeanne sure is a lot of characters. Although judging by the opening, the only Reds that'll matter are Mr. GoLion and the slightly-less-obviously-evil priest.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've only read outlines of the LN because translation was still in progress on Vol 1 and 3 and 4 weren't out yet when I was paying attention to it, and I've forgotten all but the skeleton of that, so I'm coming in pretty fresh.

That said, I don't agree that the introductions of Team Black didn't set their characters up well enough. I got pretty strong impressions from all those little one-on-ones between Master and Servant. Yeah, it was just a sketch, but I'm certainly eager to learn more.

That said, Mordred and Lion are clearly the main hook, and they're doing their job. Their relationship and individual personalities are already shining through very well. The scene between their team and the Priest and Queen was also excellently tense.

I'm stoked for more.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 11, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Shinjobi posted:

Mordred is the Brett Favre of Sabers; just havin' fun out there.

The Funslinger.

This metaphor is such a softball-lob GIF idea I feel like I'm being setup

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hargrimm posted:

I only experience Fate through the shows, and so far this one is giving me what I come to Fate for.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ldlkqu.mp4

https://my.mixtape.moe/ukwfmd.mp4

https://my.mixtape.moe/dyfdqe.mp4

I've also only watched the shows (well...not the Studio Deen version of Fate) and I was a little worried that UFOTable wasn't doing this one, but it really looks like A1's nailed the overwhelming speed and power on display when a Servant let's loose. A big part of it is the fact that they've kept the loud and "heavy" sound design for every strike that makes it sound like everyone's throwing trucks at one another.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Spartacus is an ugly motherfucker and i hope he dies quickly

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Erg posted:

gently caress you! He's got a winning smile!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Erg posted:

Sounds like we have an oppressor here who needs a little rebellion

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AnacondaHL posted:

This metaphor is such a softball-lob GIF idea I feel like I'm being setup

Wasn't my intention; I was just laughing the whole time Mordred fought. She enjoys what she does.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I like Spartacus because he seems like he's having a blast. A winning attitude means opens many doors. I mean look at the smile, he's enjoying what he does.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A lot of happy servants this war! :sun:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well yeah, most of them aren't stuck with tedious loser jerks for masters for once. a few are, but they don't seem to mind.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I loved Astolfo not giving a gently caress about creeper lady

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
First episode I was kind of meh on but now with more Mordred, Sisigo and Astolfo I think I'm sold.

Also Shakespeare as a servant?

???

:confused:

Also the existence and blended appearance of Shirou Kotomine confuses the heck out of me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an alternate history. the grail got jacked during ww2, so no fate zero, so no firestorm ruining shirou's life.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

watched fate/zero and stay night unlimited blade works recently (zero was good but I wasn't as into ubw), and now that I've caught up with this I gotta say... shirou needs a comb

also I like mordred a lot. the characters in the past series that I liked had some real dumb things to say (like rider in zero's speech about how no actually being a tyrant is good. there's some real dumb ideologies on display in this series) and I'm hoping she doesn't follow their example

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's an alternate history. the grail got jacked during ww2, so no fate zero, so no firestorm ruining shirou's life.
Still confusing and makes me wonder when Gilgamesh is going to pop up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume this is addressed somewhere in the Fate canon, but if servant power is determined by name recognition and empire size, is Genghis Khan the most powerful?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kylra posted:

Still confusing and makes me wonder when Gilgamesh is going to pop up.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well, that makes a lot of sense in one way.

Also I think Frankenstein's Monster is trying to win the poutiest berserker award.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Was there supposed to be more to the thread title

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

chumbler posted:

I assume this is addressed somewhere in the Fate canon, but if servant power is determined by name recognition and empire size, is Genghis Khan the most powerful?

The strenght of a servant is determined by:
1) how strong he was in life.
2) in what era he was alive (ancient magical phenomena are stronger).
3) how strong he is in current legends.
4) how famous he is in the place he is summoned.

Heracles is an insanely strong servant because all these aspects are almost maximized.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Is the Moon Cell Wars CCC? FGO technically not on this timeline and should technically take place after the 5th war.

YggdrasilTM posted:

The strenght of a servant is determined by:
1) how strong he was in life.
2) in what era he was alive (ancient magical phenomena are stronger).
3) how strong he is in current legends.
4) how famous he is in the place he is summoned.

Heracles is an insanely strong servant because all these aspects are almost maximized.

Ghengis Khan should be about on Iskandar terms of power.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

watched fate/zero and stay night unlimited blade works recently (zero was good but I wasn't as into ubw), and now that I've caught up with this I gotta say... shirou needs a comb

also I like mordred a lot. the characters in the past series that I liked had some real dumb things to say (like rider in zero's speech about how no actually being a tyrant is good. there's some real dumb ideologies on display in this series) and I'm hoping she doesn't follow their example

The way I took that speech was that it was a more grandiose version of the same discussion that Rin had with Shirou before Caster took Saber. As in such a self-sacrificing style of life is not really possible for people to bare without breaking.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spartacus's creepy grin keeps reminding me of Attack on Titan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

The way I took that speech was that it was a more grandiose version of the same discussion that Rin had with Shirou before Caster took Saber. As in such a self-sacrificing style of life is not really possible for people to bare without breaking.

rider does make a few good points but he is also pretty explicit when he says things like the country and people serve the king, not the other way around. it's not subtle

they also do the self sacrifice is bad thing in ubw but shirou ignores it wholesale and does it anyway. shirou also made some good points but he's still an idiot

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

One of the core Fate tenets is that no matter how stupid someone's worldview is, they might actually look attractive if that same someone is epically cool or really loving engaged

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

History's greatest murderboys not very good ethicists. Shock.

Erg posted:

Was there supposed to be more to the thread title

Fate/Apocrypha: Actually, it's Frankenstein's moénster.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Iskandar's whole thing is that he's the polar opposite of Saber to serve as a comparison point.

While Saber did everything she could to protect her Kingdom, even after death, Rider's empire shattered after he passed and he didn't care in the slightest. Saber tried to rule her country as a just and fair King, Rider was a tyrant who invaded much of the known world. Saber was so lofty and idealistic she couldn't connect with those around her, but Rider was so committed to inspiring and leading his men that it became the basis of his Noble Phantasm.

The whole reason he's there is for Saber to look at him, at how happy he is, at how devoted those who serve him are, and then to look at herself, unable to live up to her own ideals, with those under her command rebellion against her, and particularly with Lancelot driven to madness and single-mindedly trying to kill her.

Like, the argument about who is a better king from an objective perspective is entirely separate. The point in Zero is that Rider's very existence is a constant reminder to Saber of all her own weaknesses and failings. Everything she lacked as a King was something he had.

A similar narrative could probably have been put together for Rider and all his flaws and failings, but it wasn't really covered in the scope of Zero (which was strictly about bullying Saber) and Rider doesn't really care anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Never watched any FATES other than the one on Netflix that I couldn't really get much into, but I have seen the design of Mordred and think it looks cool. This series worth a watch?

• Locked thread