Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

galagazombie posted:

So I might have missed them going over this earlier in the series, but shouldn't Jeanne be having a crisis of faith this whole time? She's come back to life in a way that kind of invalidates her religious beliefs right? She doesn't talk about being in heaven hanging with Jesus until some mages asked her to play referee for them. So it's like the Christian afterlife thats part of the basis of her faith is disproven? She's still talking all religiously like nothing happened though. I guess the same goes for most servants based on religious people.

Well, servants are explicitly not the same person they were in life (in the sense that a servant is a projection of an imprint) and servants are given a bunch of information when they're summoned so they aren't completely mystified by the unfamiliar world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Natural 20 posted:

I've never watched any of this before. I only realised it existed because of Netflix.

That's becoming a fairly common theme for the anime I watch actually.

Well, enjoy a much better series. Also give Fate/Zero a go afterwards; it's a prequel to UBW.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

zero is incredibly optional tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Optional plotwise but it's still probably the best show to come out of the franchise.

You can see some of what happens in fapo and point at the places where they're doing something basically to ape a similar situation in Zero.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

galagazombie posted:

So I might have missed them going over this earlier in the series, but shouldn't Jeanne be having a crisis of faith this whole time? She's come back to life in a way that kind of invalidates her religious beliefs right? She doesn't talk about being in heaven hanging with Jesus until some mages asked her to play referee for them. So it's like the Christian afterlife thats part of the basis of her faith is disproven? She's still talking all religiously like nothing happened though. I guess the same goes for most servants based on religious people.

The existence of stuff like the Throne of Heroes doesn't preclude the existence of God or Heaven. Considering that most Saints and whatnot are humble servant of Him, its hardly a stretch to assume they take being bound to the Throne to protect humanity for all time rather than going to paradise in stride. They have some kind of consciousness within the Throne that allows them to review the records of any copy of themselves summoned, so some of them may interpret the Throne as Heaven. Others may just be able to reconcile "Well, we got how the religion works all wrong," without losing their faith in God itself. It's not like members of the Holy Church give up their faith just because they know how Divine Spirits and whatnot work, they just have their faith re-contextualized by their new understanding of the mechanics of the universe.

A hero who lost their faith because of becoming a heroic spirit would be interesting though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sanguinia posted:

A hero who lost their faith because of becoming a heroic spirit would be interesting though.

You sound like you'd enjoy Drifters, where this is the entire split between the good and bad guys. Jesus, Joan of Arc, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Scipio Africanus and Hannibal all feature in this series. Hitler is in its backstory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's it?! What the hell?

The episode was more disappointed and dumber than I expected. They're really trying to force it together with the animation, which is just kinda messy and hard to tell what's going on to be honest.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 29, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Gigguk is literally the only anime youtuber I can stand and enjoy. If MovieBob did anime I'd probably like his anime content.

Koalas March posted:

This might shock you, but I can post wherever the gently caress I want. I usually just follow the Berserk and DBZ threads. :)

What's the source for this?

Also nice to see you post in ADTRW KM, especially a Type-Moon one, I almost thought I was in the wrong thread. :D

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

If MovieBob did anime I'd probably like his anime content.

:yikes:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MovieBob is great drat you :colbert:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You sound like you'd enjoy Drifters, where this is the entire split between the good and bad guys. Jesus, Joan of Arc, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Scipio Africanus and Hannibal all feature in this series. Hitler is in its backstory.

Thanks for the rec. I'd be lying if I said the fact that 20th Century Figures can't become Heroic Spirits and thus I'll never have to see anyone World War II related was not one of the best things about Fate's setting to me though. It's always gotta be Hitler, doesn't it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's the source for this?

Looks like Michiko & Hatchin, if google's honest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MovieBob has some entertaining vids but he did not make it out as well as some of the other Escapist escapees.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus gently caress Sieg's Berserker powers came straight out of loving nowhere, didn't they? I don't even get what the point of having those is, when the series could've done the same with far less rear end pulls by merely having Jeanne give Sieg Command Spells before she died.

Though that alone wouldn't fix how loving stupid that was. This is the last fight of this Holy War? The most boring character in this franchise fighting against a vaguely-defined bad guy that he had never interacted with before only pushed by anger? Terrible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
At the very least there was a very clear foreshadowing when Sieg got zapped originally that seemed strange in a "This is important" sort of way; it's just easy to forget.

Why? I saw someone else in the Intellectual Youtubers Mock thread also write up weird hate posts about MovieBob and no one could ever substantiate anything that differed him from your typical center-lefty D&D'er; like if people wanna hate on themselves by proxy.... Go ahead?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He wrote an insanely embarassing book about how Super Mario Bros 3 saved his life lmfao

Also back on topic: Fate/Extra last encore's staff looks good as hell. Hopefully its way better than this tire fire (it already is on virtue of having the protagonist our beloved Roman Emperor)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why? I saw someone else in the Intellectual Youtubers Mock thread also write up weird hate posts about MovieBob and no one could ever substantiate anything that differed him from your typical center-lefty D&D'er; like if people wanna hate on themselves by proxy.... Go ahead?

He comes up in the Internet Critic Thread a lot in RGD so hit that up if you want a more detailed breakdown but the long story short is that, aside from stuff like Plutonis mentioned, he's a legitimately messed up individual who has big meltdowns about how X group should just be wiped off the face of the planet. What X group is depends on the mood of the day for him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

people who prefer smb3 over world should be sent to camps imo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There's something truly special about a guy who got so red and nude about Zack Snyder that he did a multi-part, multi-hour video screed about beavis having bad editing without a hint of self awareness.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

He comes up in the Internet Critic Thread a lot in RGD so hit that up if you want a more detailed breakdown but the long story short is that, aside from stuff like Plutonis mentioned, he's a legitimately messed up individual who has big meltdowns about how X group should just be wiped off the face of the planet. What X group is depends on the mood of the day for him.

I've seen that claim and also never seen it substantiated beyond a single tweet without context.

You're post here really isn't fair based on what I've seen and seems to just completely miss the mark.

e: And I'm not going to "go over to some other thread" just to have this argument (as that feels like brigading), I think his work online videos regarding superhero comics and popular culture are self-evident that if were able to apply that knowledge and insight* to anime he'd make a entertaining and insightful anime youtuber. What you've said doesn't detract or add anything to that statement.

*He himself claims to not have that knowledge/experience beyond a casual which is why this is a hypothetical 'man I wish...' sort of statement.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 29, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hey it's your right to want to defend the eugenics defending internet review guy who screeches about people ruining his games.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hey no fighting fictitious strawmen in the anime thread about an anime that features fighting fictitious living homunculi please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hey no fighting fictitious strawmen in the anime thread about an anime that features fighting fictitious living homunculi please.
that's not fictious that's literally a thing he does

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i really wanna hear the eugenics 'poor people are literally genetically inferior' 'let's put an iq test back into voting' guy who's too stupid to understand that the rich and powerful voted for trump talk about fuckin' little witch academia or some poo poo

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Yeesh. Every internet guy I like ends up being horrible and I never know it because Twitter is loving terrible so I don't use it. Why can't people who make entertainment I like be not-lovely? :sigh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kinoko nasu is a force of pure good, at least

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Endorph posted:

kinoko nasu is a force of pure good, at least

The way he keeps writing stories so his husband can have cute new versions of his waifu forever IS pretty wholesome. :unsmith:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sanguinia posted:

Yeesh. Every internet guy I like ends up being horrible and I never know it because Twitter is loving terrible so I don't use it. Why can't people who make entertainment I like be not-lovely? :sigh:

Probably the drive to maintain a "social media presence". When you have to post something and want it to seem substatial, it leads to ill-considered pontificating.

mlmp.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so if bob chipman was a servant what class would he be

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gas.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

yeah i really wanna hear the eugenics 'poor people are literally genetically inferior' 'let's put an iq test back into voting' guy who's too stupid to understand that the rich and powerful voted for trump talk about fuckin' little witch academia or some poo poo

Again, I feel somewhat strongly with not going too far off topic in the thread about watching a particular anime, if you want to continue this and hear my honest opinion feel free to pm me here or at discord.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

so if bob chipman was a servant what class would he be

ruler

Raenir Salazar posted:

Again, I feel somewhat strongly with not going too far off topic in the thread about watching a particular anime, if you want to continue this and hear my honest opinion feel free to pm me here or at discord.
i dont

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, being all 'nah he's still good' is pretty not cool.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
what is it about astolfo's cute variety show that leads this thread to the weirdest derails?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What are people going to talk about, the show?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cephas posted:

what is it about astolfo's cute variety show that leads this thread to the weirdest derails?

Everyone involved loses all rationality.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Amakusa Shiro was right.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, being all 'nah he's still good' is pretty not cool.

Man's absolutely batshit but I find his film recommendations good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

PM me if you have a problem with it then, or @ me with whichever channel you were in on discord since I couldn't find where you were.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh if moviebob is fine with dropping some hot takes about people then I'm fine with people dropping hot takes about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What. What was that.

• Locked thread