Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh of course, the Reverse Side of- wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I laughed at the still of Jeanne's face, frozen in the culminating moment of emotional catharsis for the series, shamelessly plastered with sponsor logos as the very last image we are left to ponder not two seconds after the scene itself. A fine distillation of the level of thought that went into this production.

I think the reverse of the world is basically Fate fairyland where all the dragons and undead briton kings have have gone and hosed off to because technology. I suppose this means that when Artoria comes back in Britain's time of need she will manifest as an immortal pile of goo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

artorias not coming back because she went to avalon to go gently caress shirou for all eternity

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Goddamnit emiya

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Stairmaster posted:

artorias not coming back because she went to avalon to go gently caress shirou for all eternity
I choose to believe Jeanne and Sieg are like the next hill over and it's extremely awkward

serves them right for leaving poor Astolfo alone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sieg probably doesnt have a dick

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Tae posted:

For something that's 25 episodes, the build-up to most of these fights are kinda rear end. Chiron/Achilles was the only that felt deserved of the tension and weight, and even that seems undercooked compared to even Cu/Emiya.

This is part of the reason I like the Jeanne/Atalante fight more then Karna/Sieg. Jeanne and Atalante have some kinda relationship after entering Jacks Noble Phantasm and the resolution there. I don't think Sieg had even seen Karna up until that point and even Siegfried and Karna were just kinda like, were rivals okay. The power on display was so over the top compared to the other servants that I'm not sure why Karna didn't just shitstomp everyone at the start. It also takes place entirely in an infinite formless void that somehow is inside the gardens and exists solely to be destroyed.
Long story short a lot of the fight scenes are very pretty but the story behind them and elements of the choreography are awful. And who is that kid hanging out with Waver?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AirborneNinja posted:

And who is that kid hanging out with Waver?

Flatt Escardos, the protagonist of Fate/strange fake, a better spin-off than this one.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

That kid seemed to have magic'd up a nuke, so they really should have sent him instead; this would all have been over very quickly. (Also it seems some version of /Zero still happened, despite it being half a century after the divergence point)

The Fate series as a whole has a strange message: trying to make the world substantially better is actually bad and near-sighted impulsiveness is superior to universal love. Seems like sour grapes to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dzhay posted:

The Fate series as a whole has a strange message: trying to make the world substantially better is actually bad and near-sighted impulsiveness is superior to universal love. Seems like sour grapes to me.

It's less that and more "trying to change how the entire world works through miracles is a pretty loving bad idea". But with Kiritsugu and EMIYA we got actual, clear explanations as to why they were doing everything wrong, as well as being shown their lives and worlds if they had not gone through those paths (Prisma Illya for the former, just Shirou in general for the latter). Here it's really vague why Amakusa Shirou is wrong beyond "world won't change anymore", even moreso when both Rulers seem to agree that the spiritually manifested world will happen eventually anyways, Shirou is just making it happen faster.

It's also not helped by the fact that no real counter-argument is given because our protagonist here is as flat as one can be and his reasoning is entirely "BUT YOU KILLED MY GIRLFRIEND" which is...ugh. Look, I can understand it in other series, but if you're going to go full philosophical (and a Fate series should do that) then stick with it to the end, don't give me a character who can only give such incredibly half-assed reasonings for his actions. Regardless of whether Jeanne's reasoning to reject Shirou is understandable or not, it was entirely in-character, it had a logic behind it, it had a degree of thought behind it. It was something more complex than "BUT MY GIRLFRIEND".

The worst thing in Apocrypha really is just Sieg. And he has no excuse to be as lovely as he is when Shirou was also empty as gently caress and managed to actually grow a personality and Illya was also a homunculus yet was clearly her own character (enough to get a whole spinoff to herself, even!). It's just bad writing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dzhay posted:

that is literally the opposite of the series message

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Things which are good in the nasuverse: helping people, self reflection, cooking, maids

Things which are bad: murdering people, worms, not growing up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

eh, some parts of the fate franchise conflict with each other on those

for instance, pris-

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stairmaster posted:

Things which are good in the nasuverse: helping people, self reflection, cooking, maids

Things which are bad: murdering people, worms, not growing up

Not growing up is fine. Look at Iskander and Shirou in UBW. What is bad is Cynicism, particularly when it motivates martyrdom or desperation. Whether you are a kid or an adult, letting yourself become a "his smile and optimism: gone," is what generally leads to bad things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally watched the latest episode. Almost enjoyed Sieg in this one.

Also, Fran was low-key one of the best servants in this war.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Fran was literally a dog.

Well I guess that speaks of the quality of the cast.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah, if anything it just reinforces my point. Fran was a good dog.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Stairmaster posted:

sieg probably doesnt have a dick

He overlooked this fact when he made his wish.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

This is the world where Sieg didn't cancel Shirou's wish

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was not prepared for that link mate.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Conspiratiorist posted:

If you didn't love the oldtimey silent movie of her version of the Frankenstein story and her fight with Mordred, get out of my face.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So what's the legend on why is Modred the only one with futuristic weaponry while the rest of the camelots being like standard? Or is it just a lame "This novel guy stuck it on there, we can't retcon his poo poo cause honor."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tae posted:

So what's the legend on why is Modred the only one with futuristic weaponry while the rest of the camelots being like standard? Or is it just a lame "This novel guy stuck it on there, we can't retcon his poo poo cause honor."

Futuristic weaponry?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's just magic, fam

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tae posted:

The only futuristic things Mordred has are her Helm and her Sword, both of which were enchanted by Morgan Le Fey. A Wizard Literally Did It.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lancelot used a freaking stealth jet and a chaingun!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That was an f15 you loving idiot you loving moron

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gologle posted:

I was not prepared for that link mate.

I forgot that the page does a weird thing if it's the first time you visit it.

But if anybody was curious about what a world of ambitionless immortals (ie. what the Grail outright says Shirou was trying to turn humanity into) would look like, that's the most entertaining illustration of the concept.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Plutonis posted:

Lancelot used commandeered a freaking stealth jet and a chaingun!

Saber's armor is kind of magic tech-y like Mordred's actually, just in a less obvious way. She can equip her suit of armor to her motorcycle.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jeane's argument against Shirou's salvation doesn't make any sense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It doesn't have to, because Shirou is a sucky butt and he should get wedgie'd to death.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC one of the less-mentioned bits of his plan was to change humanity so they couldn't conceive the idea of evil.
This was because he'd long since grown disillusioned with people and didn't trust them to be good on their own.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Kyte posted:

IIRC one of the less-mentioned bits of his plan was to change humanity so they couldn't conceive the idea of evil.
This was because he'd long since grown disillusioned with people and didn't trust them to be good on their own.

he's not wrong

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So I watched the first episode of Yurucamp...
The fleshfang gene is strong, it seems.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kyte posted:

It is still a dumb addendum because you don’t need to be able to conceptualise evil in order to perform evil acts. Children do that all the time. And humans typically don’t think they’re the bad guy when they do evil poo poo. It’s a natural psychological defense mechanism.

That’s being said, this does prove his first point that humans generally can’t be trusted.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the general idea of "Skipping Humanities evolution to reach the final result before they're ready is bad" has been well enough explored in fiction that we actually don't need the full explanation to what it signifies and why its bad because really we should have that cultural prior understanding. Like when we reading Frankenstein we should understand the references Fran makes because we should've already read Paradise Lost.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the general idea of "Skipping Humanities evolution to reach the final result before they're ready is bad" has been well enough explored in fiction that we actually don't need the full explanation to what it signifies and why its bad because really we should have that cultural prior understanding. Like when we reading Frankenstein we should understand the references Fran makes because we should've already read Paradise Lost.

What's the cultural understanding of it? I definitely don't have it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Stagnation is bad. Unearned cultivation is bad. Humanity becoming immortal too quickly and skipping cultivation levels is thus bad, because they'll be stagnant.

Related to this is the assertion that Humanity, by losing the ability to die, will lose any and all desire to explore the stars; resulting in our eventual extinction anyways to either the sun exploding, or other alien beings being able to kill us. This is also very standard in fiction and high fantasy, humans being short lived are more energetic compared to elves and thus create these great world spanning empires that die so quickly and collapse but leave behind such great artifacts and technology and stuff, while Elven civilizations while powerful are just there.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Why would skipping levels of culture make us stagnant? Ia no-one at all going to have any interest in discovery? Upon becoming immortal, no-one will ever be curious about space? Our only interest in advancement is because of death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Off the TM-wiki, the Third Magic is described as the materialization of the soul. Normally, when a person dies, their soul is dispersed but with the Third Magic, it allows them to basically remain as a higher dimensional being that can interact with the material world.

No idea how much of this holds true to what Amakusa Shirou was doing, or just how much he knows about the Third Magic. But either way, it's a big gently caress you to everyone by forcing them to ascend as well as brainwashing them to be incapable of evil, which might not be a thing the Third Magic can do.

• Locked thread