Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

habituallyred posted:

I'm Drill Sergeant Chessty Puller and I am happy to report that you little pawns are about to become real chessmen. There is no greater joy in my life than seeing you little fellows make it through the board for your promotions. All our efforts should be focused on the promotion of every pawn in our service. Accordingly I recommend:

Knight from 1b to 3c

As this will provide cover for our fire and maneuver teams. And not because I want to see Rickenbacker shot down, no siree.

Yeah, pawns are for losers, let's get the horsies involved early on.

Nc3

Giddy-up!

e: Just saw we're meant to sign up and be assigned teams, oops. Ignore this vote unless I can still join and be on Team White Knight.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Covski posted:

What the hell, I'll allow a late joiner just this one time, as long as you promise you're not secretly a chess grandmaster! :)

Cool, thanks! I'm aggressively mediocre at Chess but had a lot of fun reading the RPS thread and am excited to be involved with this one!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Let's start as we mean to go on by recklessly careering forward and fighting everything we can.

exd5

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah I don't see the big deal about d4 myself either. Anyone more chess-headed care to elucidate?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Going d4 as well, let's do this.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So...

f3, right?

Or possibly Kf3 but better to actually threaten the bishop, I feel.

e: altering my vote in the face of Jon joe's wisdom. I like the swashbuckling idea of launching our own bishop to b5 too but let's go maximum horseplay.

Voting Kf3

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 13, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

We're on 9 votes for bishing it up, right?
I guess I'll retract my previous vote for Nf3 and jump on the Bb5+ bandwagon so we can move on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

dxc6 is definitely the power play here.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nf3 looks pretty good

Protects our Queen
More coverage/protection of d4 and other central squares
Bringing another piece into the mix
Maximum horseplay

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Qxf3 works out extremely well if they end up taking the Qxd4 bait so let's do that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

That is a VERY valid point. I am primarily concerned about letting their Queen take control of the center but I will happily bow to the wisdom of getting ours into combat.

They'll need to move it back to block eventually if they do go for the pawn. Meanwhile we'll have all but obliterated their Queen side with our own Queen.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah that's pretty much the plan unless they either put us in check, cover c6 with another piece (probably the queen) or block our queen from reaching c6.

Qb6 looks alright for them. They might go Qa5 and put us in check, at which point I think our best counter is Nc3 to block the check and protect our bishop.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 19, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I think that if they were going to take the d4 pawn bait they would have, and giving them another swing at it by castling isn't going to change that much.

However, nothing is leaping out at me as a better move for us right now on merit. Castling helps us on defence for sure. Bf4 and Nc3 both are options to throw more pieces into the fray, Bf4 is more offensive whereas Nf3 is more about protecting our Bishop (and a potential d5 to further force the collapse of their Queenside situation?)

Still thinking on this one.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ok sure let's do the 0-0 thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pressure!

Let's go c4 as the most explosive option.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Time for Nc3?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Even with Be3 we're not going to effectively defend our d4 pawn again everything that's lined up against it. And we don't particularly want to, it's still functioning as Queen bait to leave their Knight on c6 exposed, I thought.

If we're moving the Bishop, how about Bf4? Doesn't threaten anything directly but stops them moving their King into a safer spot behind the pawn line and generally threatens spaces it might move to if/when we force a check. In fact, Bf4 followed by a Queen move from them to anywhere that stops covering c6 gives us mate in two moves with bc6 and then Qc6. They probably won't do that but it keeps things pinned down for them in a way that Bc3 doesn't really.

e: Bf4, not Bd4 of course

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 25, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If they do attack with the Queen after Bf4, they've lost. If they see it then we've stopped the attack, if they don't then we've won. Other options such as Rd1 or Be3 will give us one benefit but not both, and also not cover any new territory.

Effectively we don't need to defend d4 right now, so we can focus purely on development and aggression.

Bolding my vote for Bf4

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 25, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Now run that but with Bf4 instead of Nc3

e: your outcome is good aggressively for sure but we've lost all control of the central 4 squares and our Queen is unsupported.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 25, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

And we then have traded their Queen for our remaining Knight and one Bishop. Ok but not great.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I guess in terms of points but their Queen isn't doing much now and our Bishop is well developed so situationally a bigger loss. And if they spot it we've wiggled a Knight around for minimal gain.

I'm staying firm on Bf4 as our next move with maybe Nc3 to follow if nothing comes of it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

jon joe posted:

A single move of Qc7 fixes 100% of our opponent's problems and forces us to sacrifice our bishop into their knight with no major gain.

I don't think Bf4 offers us much. It's straight up a poor position for our bishop if our opponents do not fall for the trap you suggested.

Granted.

It does stop Qc7 being an option of any sort for them, though.

So of we want to limit their potential moves and force them into making a bad one, Bf4 is a much more proactive approach to it than Nc3.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 25, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Seems like an interesting time to d5 in that case. Maybe. I haven't followed that all through yet.

Really I need to look at this properly tonight instead of quickly on my phone when I should be working!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I really don't see the benefit of Be3 over Bf4. It protects d4 but if our plan is to then (or soon) go to d5 then that's fairly meaningless, especially as we have no problems with d4 being attacked anyway. And it does nothing else to threaten any black pieces. What's the big attraction that I'm missing?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Well, ok then. Is this the first time we've failed to reach a majority consensus in 24 hours?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Oh gee I wonder what move would have prevented this poo poo?

Ah well.

The prospect of them playing Qxh2+ is worrying me a little, if we moved our Queen and they went Ng4 or some other covering move. Something to keep an eye on.

Rd1 looks like an ok defensive move, otherwise we're vulnerable to d4 being taken. Honestly I think the worst outcome for us from that would be Rxd4, Bxd4, Nxd4 which leaves us forked with our Queen and remaining Bishop. Not pretty.

We're suddenly making defensive plays and being dictated to, though. Ugh.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bxc6 is the most swashbuckling move and gets my vote on those grounds.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nc3, horseplay, yadda yadda

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Can we just dxe5 and commence the bloodshed? Without going too far into it I think we're going to come out on top. If they go for the Rook trade it's to our advantage and leaves their King more exposed. If they Qxe5 then we can Qxc6+ and they start looking very vulnerable. Their other options are retreating the Knight to a useless position or abandoning it to a pawn. Ng4 is probably the only remotely worthwhile option for the Knight but then we can Bf4 to back up our pawn and/or threaten the Queen.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Forgot to bold my own suggestion ao here goes...

dxe5

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

My initial thought for this eventuality was Bf4 but actually Bg5 might be interesting too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Not much while that c6 pawn is there, unless we want to spend two turns moving it to the right side of the board.

Hmm. On the other hand, if we can get that c6 pawn out of the way we can bomb our Queen into the a8 corner and I think we've won. Nb5 as bait? If they don't go for it they've got to move their queen which will probably weaken their defense around the King anyway... I haven't followed through the possibilities on where they could move it to yet.

e: Actually, poo poo, I think we've got it regardless of what they do.

e2: That might be over-selling it, I've not gone through all the potential moves. None of the Queen moves look great for them though if we follow up with Nxa7+. I think they're losing their Queen at least and probably losing unless they play ideally. I've not found a way out for them yet, anyway.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 6, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nb5 is our path to victory, comrades.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

OK, let me see if I follow your reasoning: Nb5 cxb5, Qa8+ Qb8, Rxd8+ Kxd8, Qxb8+ and that's where I lose the thread.

(Black to move, in check)

I can't find a particularly tidy way to tie it up from there, but their position is absolutely shattered and we can easily push their King around until we find a mate. The game is pretty much ours. And the balance of pieces is far more in our favour than the outcome of Bf4 you posted earlier (we're up a Queen to a Knight, instead of a Knight and a Pawn to a Bishop.)

e: As above

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 7, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Seems we need to either move our Queen or put them in check.

Why not both? Qf5+ does the job.

Na7+ is an alternative but I think we struggle to follow it up with the knight there and will end up needing to move the Queen anyway.

Thoughts?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I'd thought we could follow up with Qxc6+ but forgot about the Knight. Oops!

Yeah Qf5+ seems a simple choice then unless anyone else has something better?

They can also block with Nd7 but in that case we still take their Queen so it's all good.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So, if they do anything other than Qd7 we can Nxc7 next turn.

And if they do go for Qd7 our move is Rxd7.

Whatever happens, their Queen is going down while ours sits pretty.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nxa7+ for the reasons above

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah that's paralyzing us with weird over-thinking. We can push Black around through check and work the board to our advantage right now, then take their Queen and protect our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Did we win?

• Locked thread