Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
So, do we try and fool's mate them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Viking Chess! :black101:

D5

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All right. Nf6.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Bg4. Was thinking about that earlier.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Knight to D7, all according to the famous game, Keikaku vs Plan.

Altering vote to c6.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 14, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I have altered my vote to C6. Pray I don't alter it any further.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Nxc6

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I like Qd5 to threaten their bishop, knight and sole remaining developed pawn.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
To clarify: It pins the knight there else we can take the pawn behind it and threaten his rook.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Pawn to A6 sounds promising. Still withholding my vote for the moment.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All right, I like the look of Qd6. Any obvious flaws a few moves down the line I missed?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I like Qxd4 here, puts us in a good central position. What traps am I missing?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All right, looking at the possibilities, endorsing Qd7.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
e6 works for now.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Castle? Develop our bishop?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Castling it is. 0-0-0

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
My money's on them going Bg5 to threaten the knight and rook. What's our strategy if they do?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Qc7 fits the bill.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dr. Snark posted:

Oh, I have an evil idea. I suggest Kb4 which will put our unpinned knight in a good position to start seriously loving with White's back row. Depending on how White moves we could trade for their bishop on black, capture some pawns, and no matter what we'd generally be able to raise hell. That sound good to you guys?

I like it! Threatening Kc2 for the rook/bishop fork. What are the counters? What are the drawbacks?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
E5, but I don't think they'll bite.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm willing to go early on xC6 here.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Trading a knight and a pawn for... what, exactly?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Bit upset nobody even considered moves other than Pawn takes C6, it's very clear that's what the opposition will have planned for. It's not a strong move, but it's not a wholly awful one either. I was really hoping somebody would have thought of something better than it.

Sometimes you get in an uppercut, sometimes you just trade blows. If you're always just looking for a haymaker and not working on your bread and butter punches, you'll lose every time.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
h5

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hm. I'm tempted by making the rook trade, but given they have both rooks active that wouldn't accomplish much. Move the Knight or lose it, or force them to move by checking the king. D7 stops them trading rooks profitably, d5 and e4 are suicide, h7 and g8 set us back. Liking the look of g4, IF we are absolutely certain they can't mate us in short order.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, unless something better or worse comes up, floating Ng4

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

oldskool posted:

My concern with Ng4: what is our plan if they counter with Qf5+

Kb7?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
:smugissar:

No. We fight to the very last. If you are unwilling to do so, then choose to be silent as the rest of us do our all for victory.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

All I've done is point out that we're in an unwinnable situation unless they gently caress up (relying on gently caress ups is bad) and that we should be playing for the next best thing to victory. There is no need to be at all rude or hostile: this is a fun game, treat it as one. There's no need to repeatedly attack other posters.

It is a traditional response to those advocating surrender. If you don't like it, merely refrain from advocating surrender, and the traditional response will thus not be invoked.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

I'm not talking about surrender, how many times must I say this? But I'll give up mentioning it because it seems you're all going to put those words in my mouth anyway.

It's pretty telling that everyone who bothered to vote on the poll went for draw or surrender, while the ones who are dogheadedly pursuing an impossible win didn't vote.

Your poll has no authority whatsoever, of course people are going to ignore it. It has less credibility than you do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I apologise for my discourtesy.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

xb5? What makes using the pawn to take the knight risky?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Nxe5, since that seems to have some decent reasoning behind it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yup, that's pretty much it. Qd7

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Kb7

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
So, Nxd7 or Rxd7? I'm leaning on the knight. What are the likely outcomes?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

I swore it before, but now it has come to pass. I vote for resignation.

Whilst it is not up to me, I am willing to accept your resignation from this thread if you really want to go and read the spectator thread that much. However, as was pointed out earlier, we have the honour, privilege and duty to put on a good show for said spectators, which utterly precludes throwing in the towel.

So, putting a marker down for Nxd7. Changed to Rxd7

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 16, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All right, I accept the logic, switching to the Rook.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Nice piece of fish suggested Bc5: I'll hear their reasoning before committing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
c5.

• Locked thread