Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The conclusion being the nations of the world co-operating to do whats best for all just like the like the separate worlds of child and demon decide to co-operate to do whats best for all just like the children co-operated to accomplish things they couldn't alone to do whats best for all is an incredibly strong thematic binding and this ending is elevating the comic for me after having written it off around the middle or so. It's a pretty relevant ending and especially right now even if its the most escapist fantasy I wish to escape to possible.

I'm down with the idea, but them just blitzing through that in a couple of pages of exposition dump doesn't feel great IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's not that I think that checking the new world is a bad idea, I just feel that the series is really grinding its gears at this point. The main conflict is over yet we still keep adding more random stuff. It feels like we're on an extended epilogue rather than the series, which is rarely a good thing and this has not been an exception.

Do they need to complete a volume or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spoilers are out and Emma's promise is revealed. Also this is the penultimate chapter thank god.

The price Emma has to pay was her family, she lost all her memories about them and can no longer be reunited with them, even if she meet them she wouldn't know. Not sure how this works since her family is searching for her, maybe the demon god manipulates things so that they will never meet? Or maybe she looks different to them? Not sure how the final chapter will resolve this or if it'll just be a bittersweet ending.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

Spoilers are out and Emma's promise is revealed. Also this is the penultimate chapter thank god.

The price Emma has to pay was her family, she lost all her memories about them and can no longer be reunited with them, even if she meet them she wouldn't know. Not sure how this works since her family is searching for her, maybe the demon god manipulates things so that they will never meet? Or maybe she looks different to them? Not sure how the final chapter will resolve this or if it'll just be a bittersweet ending.

My guess she was sent back later.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lurking Haro posted:

My guess she was sent back later.

Or earlier and they’ll meet an aged Emma.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RatHat posted:

Or earlier and they’ll meet an aged Emma.

I’m guessing they’ll see a statue of the person who inspired the world to come together and it’ll be her.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ethiser posted:

I’m guessing they’ll see a statue of the person who inspired the world to come together and it’ll be her.
Oh my god please let it be Emma's face on the Statue of Liberty.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Link to the official chapter

Looks like Emma didn't get sent to the past, after all. My guess is that Ray and the others will find Emma and she remembers them, because the reward only said that Emma could't meet her family again, it never said the others couldn't come find her.

Also, I'm still annoyed at Isabella dying at the last minute for no good reason.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Well it’s over. The ending chapter was fine enough but so much for losing her future connections.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Overall a great story, but it could have ended a few chapters earlier and not much of value would have been lost.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I liked the ending.

I think the last quarter of the manga was probably the weakest, but overall I still really liked the manga. I'll probably reread it soon just to get a better feel for all the end stuff.

Best arc was probably the first but I think my favorite arc over all was Goldy Pond

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Really great series in the end. I actually would’ve liked less of the demon world endgame and a few more chapters of searching for Emma since the stakes there felt more personal and fitting for a final arc. Though the ideal would’ve been a few less chapters.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good series with a good ending.

I look forward to their next work.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 14, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hypocrisy posted:

Good series with a good ending.

I look forward to their next work.

Same. Had an overall really good time with this manga. There's a few Knicks and knacks I'd have liked to see more fleshed out like Ayesha's whole thing and her calling out the ones who killed her Demon dad, the whole Lambda thing(there was actually a novelization about this I think), and some more stuff with them looking for Emma or her life with the old man and the kids joining them and "reviving" the village as their new home and whatnot as an epilogue with them as adults or just older, but overall I still had a good time.

Edit: I follow the artist on Pixiv. Her art is really cool and had the random thought that she'd be my go to pick for a manga of ARK Survival Evolved same for the author

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Posuka is going to be doing the art/designs for a non-TPN related videogame soon.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

Posuka is going to be doing the art/designs for a non-TPN related videogame soon.

Details? Love her artwork especially the fact that her favorite dino seems to be the Spino(BEATRICE!!! :D).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

doomrider7 posted:

Details? Love her artwork especially the fact that her favorite dino seems to be the Spino(BEATRICE!!! :D).

https://twitter.com/kiirobon/status/1271455294279880704?s=20

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Neato. Wonder what kind of game it'll be.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LINE is involved, so it will definitely be some kind of smartphone free2play thing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tamba posted:

LINE is involved, so it will definitely be some kind of smartphone free2play thing

Ahhh... Bummer. Was thinking of something like Etrian Odyssey because of the art style. No chance in hell of it happening, but the two of them being the artists and writer for an ARK comic would be awesome as hell. Again no chance in hell, but would be cool.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What a bunch of bullshit

The last arc of this series soured me insanely heavily on the work as a whole.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked it.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
it was fine

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ghost sex posted:

it was fine

A lot of the negative reception makes me wonder if it's a strictly Western thing since the series seemed to consistently popular in Japan.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked it.

Same.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I liked the last chapter, I liked the demon world showdown, but it kinda stumbled a bit on the aftermath of demon world stuff, Isabelle, etc.

But yknow, liking the last chapter does a lot for me. Good series.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I think the series crested really early with the first arc and was just never really able to get back to recreate the same high tension, even when the stakes were in theory much greater. Not that anything was bad per se, and there were arcs like Goldy Pond that were really good. Just never quite as good.

Still a better ending than KnY

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I liked this from start to finish, never really had a chapter come out that I hated. I'd agree that the peak was probably Goldy Pond, though since I'm a sucker for big ol' fights the confrontation with the Queen was also a lot of fun.

Here's hoping both the writer and the illustrator get to go on to do something new and cool soon! I'd certainly be game for them to collaborate again as well if that's how things worked out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

I liked the last chapter, I liked the demon world showdown, but it kinda stumbled a bit on the aftermath of demon world stuff, Isabelle, etc.

But yknow, liking the last chapter does a lot for me. Good series.

NowonSA posted:

I liked this from start to finish, never really had a chapter come out that I hated. I'd agree that the peak was probably Goldy Pond, though since I'm a sucker for big ol' fights the confrontation with the Queen was also a lot of fun.

Here's hoping both the writer and the illustrator get to go on to do something new and cool soon! I'd certainly be game for them to collaborate again as well if that's how things worked out.

Down With People posted:

I think the series crested really early with the first arc and was just never really able to get back to recreate the same high tension, even when the stakes were in theory much greater. Not that anything was bad per se, and there were arcs like Goldy Pond that were really good. Just never quite as good.

Still a better ending than KnY

I can agree to both of these a good bit. I'd say it changed its flavor of tension as things went on especially in Goldy Pond in terms of quality. Also, I'd love for the team to do a Splatoon manga. Like I know there already is one, but the art style lends itself perfectly and I think the writer could do some great stuff with the Octo Expansion.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
TPN was a major letdown for me ever since the kids escaped the orphanage.

So many plotpoints and elements felt unfinished.
Like we never address the fact that Norman attempted genocide?
Why did they have to go to the other world when for all intended purposes, the conflict between the demons and humans was pretty much settled in their own world?

What was the point of giving Emma Amnesia, if she still feels the connection between her and the others in her heart, and they get reunited anyways and can easily fill in the gaps of her memory?

It also really soured me when the solution to a lot of conflict after escaping was "Shoot the gently caress out of some demons" and then having Emma go "I'm a pacifist!"
Like the entire solution to the demon problem was build upon Norman and co murdering the gently caress out of a large portion of them. Oh and the queen who turned into a JRPG final boss form.

And I hate how the manga downright lied to us when it came to the price Emma had to pay. It's fine if Emma lied to the other kids in order to keep it a secret. But to actively lie to the reader by showing us things that simply didn't happen was really bad storytelling imo.

This manga rivals Bleach in terms of a good series I used to enjoy turning into a complete shitshow at the end.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mulderman posted:

TPN was a major letdown for me ever since the kids escaped the orphanage.

So many plotpoints and elements felt unfinished.
Like we never address the fact that Norman attempted genocide?
Why did they have to go to the other world when for all intended purposes, the conflict between the demons and humans was pretty much settled in their own world?

What was the point of giving Emma Amnesia, if she still feels the connection between her and the others in her heart, and they get reunited anyways and can easily fill in the gaps of her memory?

It also really soured me when the solution to a lot of conflict after escaping was "Shoot the gently caress out of some demons" and then having Emma go "I'm a pacifist!"
Like the entire solution to the demon problem was build upon Norman and co murdering the gently caress out of a large portion of them. Oh and the queen who turned into a JRPG final boss form.

And I hate how the manga downright lied to us when it came to the price Emma had to pay. It's fine if Emma lied to the other kids in order to keep it a secret. But to actively lie to the reader by showing us things that simply didn't happen was really bad storytelling imo.

This manga rivals Bleach in terms of a good series I used to enjoy turning into a complete shitshow at the end.

I hate to tell you... Bleach sucked for most of its run.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

I hate to tell you... Bleach sucked for most of its run.

I know, and the fact that this manga, that had a shorter runtime, rivals my dislike for it is pretty damning.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its really not that bad
It fumbled the landing but it didnt break any of itts premises, its characterization nor its message. What it is is rushed and obviously someones first weekly manga, and during a stressful time, no less. Im willing to cut the author a few breaks.

What is there is enjoyable and the ending being badly construcred does not retroactively diminish what I enjoyed because it didnt betray my expectations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I feel that the second these kids started dual wielding machine guns the series lost me.

The concept of weak kids, having to outsmart demons and their stronger human allies by being clever was lost the second the solution to a lot of problems became "Shoot it till it dies"

Emma being a pacifist and not wanting to kill the demons in order to find a solution also didn't work because Norman did it for her. And they never addressed the fact that he pretty much attempted genocide. But hey, it got rid of the evil demons and the queen. So now we can move on.

And I don't even mind the fact that solving the issue with the demons, required a bunch of them to die so peace could be achieved. But it should have had at least some impact on Emma. Same with whenever one of her friends died.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't they explain that Demons would still want to eat humans even if they didn't have to?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
They did, and I think it’s pretty reasonable to not assume the demons will act as a homogenous entity and collectively choose to leave the kids in peace.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

They hand waved that idea. It was around the time Lewis came back. But the large crowd of demons was pretty easily manipulated the entire time.
KILL SONJU AND MUSICA! Oh wait never mind, this Lewis guy seems pretty chill. HEY LEWIS! YOU'RE THE NEW LEADER! Wait what? We should follow Musica instead? HAIL QUEEN MUSICA!

Based on what the manga showed us, the majority of the demon population would be pretty easy to convince.
Of course, there would still be demons who'd want to eat meat, despite not needing it. But hey! Humans kill each other as well, there are laws for that stuff.

Emma's whole journey has been peace without sacrifice. Even if it's hard. Even if it seems impossible.
I don't believe splitting the world into 2 parts again is truly the best way to solve this and it kinda muddles the message for me when you end your manga with. Oh some races just can't live together.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 15, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Pretty meh ending but it feels like the series went off the rails a while back.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mulderman posted:

They hand waved that idea. It was around the time Lewis came back. But the large crowd of demons was pretty easily manipulated the entire time.
KILL SONJU AND MUSICA! Oh wait never mind, this Lewis guy seems pretty chill. HEY LEWIS! YOU'RE THE NEW LEADER! Wait what? We should follow Musica instead? HAIL QUEEN MUSICA!

Based on what the manga showed us, the majority of the demon population would be pretty easy to convince.
Of course, there would still be demons who'd want to eat meat, despite not needing it. But hey! Humans kill each other as well, there are laws for that stuff.

Emma's whole journey has been peace without sacrifice. Even if it's hard. Even if it seems impossible.
I don't believe splitting the world into 2 parts again is truly the best way to solve this and it kinda muddles the message for me when you end your manga with. Oh some races just can't live together.

Yeah but Emma’s goal has always been peace for her family first and foremost, even up to the final arc the kids only took on the queen to stop Norman from making a horrible mistake.

Realistically using the demons at the capital as an indicator for how the rest of demon society would take to the idea of not eating human meat would be an unnecessary risk compared to just going to the human world where they know eating children was never the center of their society. And yeah some humans do murder, but I’ve never met a human who’s 8ft tall with razor claws and hyper-regeneration.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's easy to forget because of everything they did accomplish but they're still a bunch of kids. Let them grow up in peace before we have them do even more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hypocrisy posted:

It's easy to forget because of everything they did accomplish but they're still a bunch of kids. Let them grow up in peace before we have them do even more work.

That's basically been the #1 thing I've kept in mind throughout the entire series. The one moment that eternally sticks with me is the fact that the assassin Andrew would've died in the woods and never run into Emma's group in drat near any other series due to running into armed members of Emma's group prior, but said members couldn't kill him due having breakdowns about killing another human being and simply being kids experiencing something horrific and traumatizing. After all that poo poo gently caress it, let em grow up happily and peacefully.