Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Emma is cool.

I like how it seems she's being mentored by Sung Joo and Ray is learning from Musica. That's not what I would've expected and I think that's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I wonder what kind of effects eating demon world vegetables would have on a human? Probably a bad time to be considering veganism, Emma.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

I wonder what kind of effects eating demon world vegetables would have on a human? Probably a bad time to be considering veganism, Emma.

I mean they have to eat something. And any other demon world food is probably just as weird.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TriffTshngo posted:

It'll be fine, Ray will make it safe to eat with the Power of Cooking.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TriffTshngo posted:

Considering both humans and demons shared a world for yea so many years and demons are clearly able to eat humans, I expect there's no fundamental incompatibility.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

Am I crazy for thinking that William Minerva and Norman are the same person? Are there other people that think this?

I don't like imposing crackpot theories on a series this early on, but I can't stop myself from thinking this every time they've talked about Minerva since Norman's disappearance.

It's a pretty much unfounded thought that's probably just a product of me overthinking a sci-fi mystery.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dumb posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that William Minerva and Norman are the same person? Are there other people that think this?

I don't like imposing crackpot theories on a series this early on, but I can't stop myself from thinking this every time they've talked about Minerva since Norman's disappearance.

It's a pretty much unfounded thought that's probably just a product of me overthinking a sci-fi mystery.

Yes you are crazy to think of that. Though there's probably many just as crazy or crazier theories about this series though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am two chapters behind so I'm reading last week's chapter now and I'll wait to read this week's chapter this afternoon on VIZ when it comes out. Well you know what I mean. Anyways I loved the kids bullying Ray over trying to sacrifice himself and escape the pursuing demons and even getting Sonju to join in.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
This manga is good and more people should read it. Can't wait until we get back into more multi-level strategic combat situations.

Gumbercules fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 31, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter out.

The stuff about factory farming was very dark, but I'd expected something of the sort. The emphasis on Emma and friends being top-quality (free-range?) implied the existence of less humane methods that produced lower-quality brain meat.

It's unclear whether Emma was implying she was going to eventually rescue the factory-farmed kids too. Even if she did, there's not much hope for them, given outcomes for feral children in real life.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I did not expect the factory farming page spread.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The factory farmed humans vs. free range premium goods divide makes me wonder if the author is vegetarian or has close friends who are. Like at this point, Musica and Sung-Joo are literally the demon equivalent of vegetarians.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The factory farmed humans vs. free range premium goods divide makes me wonder if the author is vegetarian or has close friends who are. Like at this point, Musica and Sung-Joo are literally the demon equivalent of vegetarians.

It occurred to me, but they make a point of Sung-Joo saying that they eat everything except humans (implicitly including other demons), and there doesn't even seem to be any implicit judgment of them for it.

I do think there's an element of disgust with real-world factory farming, though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

So from what we learned in this chapter, there are 3 other plantations like Grace Field. If we assume they're each built in a similar way (divided into 6, 5 for the fake orphanages and 1 for the demons running the place) that puts it at 20 groups of "premium quality" kids. I'm curious how this is going to affect their plans, like are they going to try and make their way to one of the other plantations and rescue/recruit more kids? That seems like a perfect way to sabotage themselves by putting the demons on even higher alert than they are now. Every new facet of this world makes me more interested to see what Minerva's deal is, too. I have to imagine they'll meet him sooner rather than later, if those pages at the end of the chapters are any indication.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Based off Musica's comment to herself it sounds like demons didn't used to be a bunch of crazy monsters and have only changed to be like that since the world was split.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ethiser posted:

Based off Musica's comment to herself it sounds like demons didn't used to be a bunch of crazy monsters and have only changed to be like that since the world was split.
They mentioned hunting humans before that too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm still eating meat sometimes, sorry promised neverland.
great chapter though
"Never give up. Never leave anyone behind. Liberate every single brother and sister." :drat:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That theft occurs implies ways for the kids to rescue (steal) other children without rousing additional suspicion on them, and possibly causing the demons to fight each other as well.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I spotted one of the Volume One's with the Oda recommendation jackets and it's great. It says "Do your best, Emma! Posuka (the writer?) is a weirdo!"

I think it also had a recommendation from the Kochikame guy on the back but I couldn't read that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope the recommendation included his fish avatar!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's interesting that this manga's a writer/artist combo, not just one guy like manga tends to be. I remember Horikoshi from MHA saying he thought that'd be a better system.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bleach may have been worth a poo poo if it had a separate writer and artist.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nessus posted:

It's interesting that this manga's a writer/artist combo, not just one guy like manga tends to be. I remember Horikoshi from MHA saying he thought that'd be a better system.

It's not super unusual, Death Note had a team as well, and Shokugeki no Soma has three people: a writer, an artist, and a cooking cosultant.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eyeshield 21 and One Punch Man also, Dr. Stone too recently.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like a successful system.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The newest chapter is out.

Maybe some promises were not meant to be broken.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

The fact that Sung-Joo is a demon hipster who only hunts free-range wild humans instead of farm-raised ones is hilarious to me in so many ways.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

http://readms.net/r/neverland/051/4498/1

And thus drops the other shoe. Sung-Joo is all the way down to eat Humans, but only abstains because their religion prohibits hunting anything "not created by God" and there aren't any naturally born Humans on their side. Interesting. I have to imagine the two of them will either return later on or continue to be featured in the upcoming chapters.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm glad to see the mindfuckery hasn't ended with the escaping Gracefield House! Really exciting chapter and it makes a lot of sense too. I hope Sonju isn't off to kill Minerva because they need him to get through the wall. Sonju should want that too so he's presumably talking about another nuisance. So probably the demon who was hunting the kids originally. I hope you have enjoyed my thought process while writing this post.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just started reading this. About 20 chapters in so far. Ray is Mama's actual kid, isn't he?

Also Norman...:smith:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 20, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Chapter 52

YO LOOK AT THAT COOL DUDE

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Chapter 52

He left out biscuits!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TriffTshngo posted:

Chapter 52

This is a good read,

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
He looks like somebody you can trust :hai:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Ray that is not how you spell history.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Did we already start a countdown for the People are the real demons reveal?

If not, we should start that now before the next chapter cements it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I think at most it will be a "humans are just as bad as the demons", but alright.

:siren: Thread contest! :siren:

Post your best guess for the number of chapters until it's revealed that the humans are just as bad as (or even worse than) the demons. Guesses are open until the next chapter gets released. The closest guess (tiebreaker: earliest-posted guess) will win a forums upgrade of your choice, courtesy of me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My answer is 'never' because based on 1) swerves and characters we've seen before I think the author will intentionally avoid it and 2) to be 'just as bad' as beings who hunt and eat humans would require them to do insanely stupid poo poo and again I think the author won't resort to it.

I'll take my forum upgrade when the series ends thanks. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm gonna guess a lucky 8 and I'll even speculate on what the twist will be! Spoilering it out of an Abundance of Caution.

Sung-joo has made a reasonable but incorrect assumption, or perhaps was taught it since I doubt he's a thousand years old. All these children and the mothers and so on were actually sold to the demon government by humans, for whatever prizes or baubles or simply on general principles. These people have been getting cloned; the weirdly specific thing where Isabella had a child was either to address the same religious hangup Sung-joo was talking about, or as a way to try and generate new "lines."

This is also helpful in that it is horrifying but removes the problem of "if they're really factory-farming these children, there's gotta be a lot of pregnant ladies somewhere." If this was an American comic it'd probably be something about abortions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
52 chapters.