Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The weird thing about the Switch Wifi, in my experience, is that it always shows like 2 out of 3 bars in the connection status, but then the performance is totally fine. Mind you, that's in Mario Kart, so it's not exactly a complete study of the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Phantasium posted:

Once a Switch cart has brewed in the cartridge slot for long enough it's tasty juices get transferred to the Switch. Eventually you will be able to literally know a person's tastes by licking the cartridge slot on their Switch.

Ah, the Cronenberg method.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The issue with trying to compete with Overwatch is that you can only introduce so many features and complexities to a team-based Hero Shooter before it's actually just a MOBA. And then you're competing with League and DOTA, instead.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephzinho posted:

*With no mention of Prime 4.

*But the Samus in Switch Smash will have her Prime 4 armor, with no other context

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

It's p good. It's the first fighting game I ever bothered to follow closely and git gud at. They released the story mode as free DLC, and they're on the second season of new characters.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spacebump posted:

When I learned some Melee players refuse to play in tournaments without a short circuited Wavebird I realized they should retire that game. Or make an HD online Switch version while the real Smash sequel is in development.

They wouldn't play the HD online version unless it's compatible with their broken GCN controller and also has that same bug that requires said controller. They're divas.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Beastie posted:

Why do competitive Smash players want busted GC controllers?

There's some superhuman movement glitch in Melee that can only be exploited if your GCN controller has a specific short-circuit defect. It's a whole thing.

http://compete.kotaku.com/smash-god-drops-out-of-tournament-because-his-controlle-1794769487

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is such an amazing burn. Street Fighter's gonna be on ESPN2.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real hurthling! posted:

Any good toaster purchase stories?

I pre-ordered mine on day one, and got the last available pre-order at that location. They had to turn away the people in line behind me and send them to go try at the mall.

e: I impulse-bought my actual toaster for bread at Wegmans. It's metallic red and has a bagel button for your thicc breads

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was using a pop-up toaster for the longest time but am considering switching to a toaster oven, they are so much more versatile and only take up a little more space on the counter

I sometimes consider this, too. Especially for like small-batch cooking. I wonder what the electricity usage difference is like between a nice toaster oven and like a full-size stove oven. Feels like a waste to pre-heat the oven if I want some texas toast.

edit: I'm sorry for sniping a page with toaster talk, but only a little sorry.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I regret paying full price for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. That's on PC, but still, while we're airing regrets :v:
It's fun and I enjoy it, but it's like $30 fun, not $60 + Season Pass fun.

Uh, so keep that in mind when the Switch version gets a release date. It's not a *bad* game, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a good game, either. The fun of making your own Original Character (Do Not Steal), with customizable moves and clothes, and getting time-travel inserted into major battles from DBZ history (with some twists), is offset by some pretty baffling design decisions and finicky controls. Some of the what-if type scenarios are pretty cute, though. Captain Ginyu's body-swapping power gets some good use for those.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spacebump posted:

I known the Switch version (at least early copies) comes with the campaign from Xenoverse 1. Does anyone know if it comes with any of the dlc from the other console versions?

That seems like a goofy decision. Like, your Xenoverse 1 items and stuff carry over in the original release of Xenoverse 2, but the missions themselves are so similar that it might as well be a New Game + with graphical enhancements. It's like, I guess the cutscenes have different inane dialogue, but then you still have to fight Nappa.

Storyline is hilarious in a meta way. All the non-canon movie villains want to destroy history and become canon, or something. Anyway, Turles, Slug, and Cooler are there. I think Janemba is some kind of raid boss, too. Two of the villains from the DBZ MMO that we never got are there, too, and it's my understanding that a lot of the game assets are from there, too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, I am happy that Pearl is actually good, and cool, and a goblin, and my friend.

Fan art is really hitting it out of the park with her.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Splatoon, the game that notoriously doesn't need voice comms, but we want it anyway.

I hope the mobile app doesn't suck so that our goon rooms don't need to set up like 50 voice channels in the Nintengoons discord.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Please be good, Switch App :pray:

I just want to be able to shoot ink at goons on demand.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wendell posted:

I've never used Discord. Wouldn't that also require using your phone? Might as well use the official thing if you've got to use a phone either way.

It's mostly a question of how good Nintendo's thing is. If it's good, I'll use it. If it's bad, then we can just add a shitload of voice channels to the Nintengoons discord.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope that the phone app gently encourages the user to go take a walk after more than an hour of continuous play has passed, so I can read furious, purple-faced tirades about it on twitter from people who really need to take a walk and eat a vegetable.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

s.i.r.e. posted:

The mental gymnastics people are pulling to defend Nintendo's terrible and inconvenient voice chat "solution" are baffling.

:shrug: it's better than nothing, though? And it does have kinda Smart-glassy functions with the games, which is a concept that would have ruled if Microsoft ever did anything worth a drat with it.

It looks like you can order clothes and stuff in Splatoon through the app if you feel like it, and that sort of thing.

It's not like I'm overjoyed about having to use my phone for in-game voice chat, but it's clear that somebody in the board of directors or something at Nintendo has a huge boner for mobile apps right now, so I'm pretty sure that it was this or nothing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

whaley posted:

Are all the people who use Discord on their phone while they play PC games hosed up? I don't really see how this is different from that

....why? You can just use Discord on your PC while you play PC games, and cut out that audio middle man

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aphrodite posted:

Well, for one it doesn't work if you minimize the app or lock the screen.

Where did the lock screen part come from? The Nintendo support FAQ only mentions switching to different apps.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They will announce Stardew more than a week in advance, so there's no need to think that.

Yeah, they're currently consulting astrology charts to determine the precise date to release that will cause the most aggregate anguish across humanity. That sort of dedication to the Dark Arts is commendable, imo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's mainly the ettiquette, the time of different rooms on a discord, etc that befuddle me. "Which room should this comment go in? How do I turn on notifications for only this room? Are images or emoticons appropriate?" Etc

You're way over-thinking it, haha. Most servers that care enough about that stuff will have a rules/announcements channel that only admins can post in, and you can read about it there. All the goon discords I'm in will freely entertain your shitposts as long as they're not already in a heated debate about MMO balancing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm more Care Mad about salmon run only being available online at certain times than the app

Unless they change the schedule that they posted previously, it's like 24 hours every other day. It's not that limited.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

StabMasterArson posted:

so being real is this going to be another Wii U with like 1 or 2 games worth a poo poo per year. its already gathering its first inch of dust

I mean, that's kind of subjective to what you consider "worth a poo poo".

So far we've had Zelda, Mario Kart, ARMS, Disgaea 5, and Splatoon 2. ARMS I only skipped because it had such close proximity to Splatoon, and Disgaea 5 I'm holding off on until I have time for a JRPG. It might get overshadowed by Xenoblade or something, depending on timing. Later this year, we're getting Mario, and probably some other stuff.

That's not even touching the indie games, although I wish there was a more concrete release schedule for those. Mr. Shifty is a good Hotline Miami stand-in with a fun gimmick, Shakedown Hawaii looks like basically all the best parts of 2D GTA games in an art style that I love, Stardew When, and so on.

There's also been kind of strong implication from Platinum that they'll be porting Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, and Wonderful 101 forward. Which like, those are ports, but they're great games especially for people who skipped Wii U.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Guy Goodbody posted:

Whether or not something looks interesting is a personal matter. As for the other thing, I think Pokken and Zelda came out on that Wii tablet controller thing, but nobody owned that, literally not a single person, so I don't think they count as ports.

Pokken also has expanded content from newer versions of the arcade game over in Japan. It's like the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: The Ultra Suplex Hold, compared to Persona 4 Arena.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Today I pressed the button on my coffee maker and my microwave, 3 monitors in 2 different locations, and a desk lamp.

Also HOLY gently caress I should have taken tomorrow off. I'm gonna spend all day being hyped and fidgety about Splatoon 2.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I also bought and enjoyed #FE, but then I sold my Wii U and all its games on SA Mart because I haven't touched it in months :unsmigghh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spellman posted:

What's your definition of port?

Ideally, the control scheme would be updated so you don't need the old controller or other extra hardware? This would be like a "port" of a classic PC game requiring you to dig out and install your ancient 16-bit soundblaster from the 90s, or else it hard-locks your machine.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

raditts posted:

C'mon dude this comparison is loving silly

It's not, though? It's not a port if it can't run on the hardware, and that includes peripherals.

Is this a better comparison? A Mac version of a PC game that absolutely will not recognize that one-button mouse.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feenix posted:

Splatoon 2 when?

9pm PST most likely??

That sounds about right. It should be midnight EST.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Also it's a dumb place to lodge that complaint. You're using what's ultimately an issue with the console to justify your lovely review of the companion app.

If the app itself doesn't work as advertised, that's another story.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If they can tweak the app to be better (sleep mode still lets it function, ability to go to other apps) it won't be that big a deal. Hell I've sent in suggestions to them via feedback in the app about things I'd like to see in the app such as timelines of friends completing MyNintendo reward quests in certain games or large Splatoon victories to the ability to use an in app calendar to schedule a date and time to play for you and your friends that uses push notifications to remind you of upcoming events your scheduled for. poo poo like that would make the app feel more feature complete and more a online service then a VoIP replacement

Functioning in sleep mode will never happen, unless they work out a deal directly with apple. iOS is really strict about what it allows to run in the background or with the screen off, and in both of those cases the answer is "media playback" for pretty much all cases.

Maybe on Android.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

raditts posted:

How do the motion controls work when you presumably either have to move your head along with the screen if you're playing it in handheld mode, and can't move it at all if it's docked?
Did they include an accelerometer in the pro controller this time and/or can you move the joycons around for the same effect?

Yeah, the pro controller and joycons have gyroscopes in them. You can use motion controls from your couch like God intended.

I could see it being awkward in handheld mode. You might have to set the sensitivity higher so you don't have to tilt much.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Considering every Castlevania that wasn't lord of shadow dreck was an exclusive on the GBA or DS systems I could see Konami doing another classic Castlevania on the Switch. In fact I think one would be perfect for the Switch

I'd be pretty happy never giving another cent to Konami again after the hosed-up way they treated all the people they shitcanned when they dropped Kojima and went into Pachinko Mode, but against all odds that Castlevania show on netflix is actually good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

irlZaphod posted:

I caught the end of Splat Zones, which I didn't quite understand (as in, I don't know how to "capture" the zone).

It works the same as capturing any territory in Splatoon. You paint over the zone with your own color. If your team paints over 75% of the zone, they take control.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Imagined posted:

But they can't strike them with physical violence, which is a necessary part of both Mario Party and Overcooked.

Important.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I impulse bought a glass screen protector when I ordered my new router, fam. I'm gonna join the club.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So who all is super pumped for the new Mario Rabbids game?

It's me, I will play the Mario XCOM.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Takoluka posted:

why the heck are so many people so excited about mayonnaise

like, all the ketchup people are like "yeah, ketchup is pretty good!" and the mayo people are like "i eat that poo poo straight from the loving jar, and i'm also including miracle whip because i'm a broken person" or "i'm only including kewpie, the superior nippon mayonnaise"

it's making the plaza very uncomfortable!

As far as french fry toppings go, it's very much a mood thing for me. Ketchup is like the everyday easy answer for like if you're at a restaurant or something.

At home, I throw cajun seasoning and either malt vinegar or lemon juice on those bad boys, and then make like a little cup of garlic mayo for dipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'd be curious to see what's the total percentage of Sonic Forces players name their create-a-character "DO NOT STEAL" in a fruitless attempt to retweeted by a youtuber.

• Locked thread