Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finally got around to playing a bunch of Wonderboy and how the hell do I deal with vampire dragon.

I do like 2 damage to him while he seemingly chunks off half my lifebar in a single touch and it's kind of bonkers. I really don't want to go through the final dungeon again just to die to a cheap boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Those can be got pretty easily by going back to the opening dungeon.

I don't recall vampire dragon being tough either, Daimyo dragon had a tougher pattern. I can't remember what vampire dragon's pattern even was.

It's less that he's tough because he has hard attacks, it's moreso he just does so much damage while I plink away at him so it's just that it takes so long I start making stupid plays trying to get it to go by faster.

Will need to go nab the legendary stuff though as I was using whatever is a step below it (I assume)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like my Kirby avatar.

Topic of Melee is that it's just the same 4-5 dudes every single time and nothing else and everything surrounding them is super cringe inducing to me. Like I keep seeing unironic posts around evo last year about how THE FOUR GODS ARE HERE TO PLAY and just kill it already. Let the 4 people who play it just livestream matches themselves or something if they don't want to get with the times.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm glad everyone agreed that the defective controller thing is cheating.

I mean really when one dude ragequits a entire tourney because his controller isn't broken the right way and refuses to even play then maybe the playing field isn't that even.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think Sonic Mania is better then almost anything Mario has put out 2D wise since... SMW? Like it's kind of hard to even judge in that regard because the two games are so vastly different in how they play the only comparison that can be made is "you can jump on things"

Mario can rest easy though when it comes to like, Forces vs Odyssey lol.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My game of the year is tied pretty evenly so far between Nier Automata, Persona 5, Sonic Mania and Crash Bandicoot :)

This year has been good for games in general, it's shocking.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yakuza 0 is my goty so far

BotW just hasn't clicked with me
people talk about how much there is to do in that game, but the world feels kinda empty to me

I'm probably dumb and bad at games, but I wind up following the roads to the next story objective and not seeing much to do other than shrines in between

There's a lot of "that's neat" moments with the physics, but my combat style mostly boils down to hitting things with clubs and swords :shrug:

I feel the same way about BotW, it's personal opinion for me but I liked the overworld and getting around it but everything else was just kind of boring me to tears. Big empty world with copy pasted bokoblin outposts that lead to some of the lamest and most boring dungeons in the series? Ehhh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Raserys posted:

i feel it in my bones, this kirb will have the return of nightmare

It's gonna be Zero/Dark Matter I can almost guarantee it.

Triple Deluxe released on Amazing Mirrors anniversary and it's big throwback thing was the Amazing Mirror
Robobot was released on Superstar's anniversary and it's very clearly a throwback to that game
This one is scheduled for Dreamland's and Dark Matter got foreshadowed a bit in Robobot

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario + Rabbids intro

Not sure if it's been posted yet but the setup for the game really caught me off guard and now I'm kinda curious to how that wraps up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tender Bender posted:

People are really brain broken and will play games they don't actually enjoy so they can get arbitrary points or rewards they have no intention of using, and will stop playing games they do enjoy once they exhaust the arbitrary points or reward system.

That's me in most games these days. Games seem to get longer and longer and have more padding/filler so I find it hard to bring myself to just keep playing after sinking so much time into a game. If there's a trophy or whatever it at least gives me a reason to keep going, some kind of goal to work to or it encourages me to do something I wouldn't of thought of doing otherwise. (Assuming it's a good list and not just grind 20 bear butts or something)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually thought the game was a bit hard. I get what you mean, I am personally enjoying the game but 2D sonic games already haven't aged as well as say, Mario.

This is a good one though!

Man I don't get this statement at all as I finished my first 3+K run the other day in years and thought it was outstanding still.

Like it and Mania still feel super responsive and fun to play like the old Mario series. I guess it's just a matter of opinion though so eh

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In that strangely nice intro for rabbids there's statues of waluigi and wario hidden away so I'm now going to be bummed out if they somehow aren't in this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda wanna know what the embargo for Rabbids + Mario is. I'm getting FINAL BOSS videos from places I assume have review copies and places like Gamexplain went on a huge binge of videos the other day showing various bosses off.

Yet no one is allowed to show review for some reason?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rayman Origins is one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

For some reason I didn't really like Legends as much even if it did have most of Origins stages bundled in. It's original levels just didn't feel nearly as hard or tricky to me. Still though it's like a 8/10

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i preordered the shootman rabbit game

I'm gonna walk my fat rear end into a gamestop look the employee in the eye and go yes. I really do want this stupid mario rabbit game. No. you will not stop me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spoiler for Mario + Rabbids (a actual one)

Rabbid Wario and Waluigi are apparently bosses, thanks youtube.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Hey how is Wonder Boy? Visually it's gorgeous but the trailer makes the platforming look pretty basic

Closest comparison that comes to mind controls wise is Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.

You get a handful of movement options (including the option to fly) but for the most part jumps are a little stiff. It's not terribly noticeable though outside of literally one screen in the game though and it still plays really well. It's a nice simple game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nintendo has stated what the end of Miiverse means.

Super Mario Maker (Wii U): Users will still be able to share levels, but will no longer be able to comment on them.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): While users will still be able to play Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and complete all 88 levels in the main game, the Community feature will be discontinued, preventing players from sharing levels and receiving additional Stars. As there will be a limit to the number of Stars that can be obtained, not all objects may be unlocked from the Workshop.
Splatoon (Wii U): Miiverse posts will no longer display in Inkopolis Plaza or the game's stage maps.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): The Miiverse stage will still be playable, but Miiverse user posts will not display in the background. Players will also be unable to post replays to YouTube/Miiverse, share stages or create tournaments.
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): Players will not be able to upload game-play videos to YouTube since they also post to Miiverse at the same time. The tournament function will also not be available.
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): In Super Mario 3D World, the Miiverse posts that appear on the course select screen and when selecting courses will disappear. Players will still be able to collect in-game stamps, but not post them to Miiverse.
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U): In Xenoblade Chronicles X, the BLADE report feature will no longer be available.

Users can download their old Miiverse posts (without comments or messages from others) by visiting http://miiverse.nintendo.net and registering before the Miiverse service ends on Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT. Once registered, users will receive an e-mail via Nintendo Account mail a few weeks after the Miiverse service ends, which will include a unique URL to download their past Miiverse posts.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Manky posted:

I've played a bit of The Takeover on PC, it's pretty Streets-ish and coming to switch
https://twitter.com/1TheTakeOver/status/850379716435509248

What a disgustingly ugly game. The art just does not match up to those graphics at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was fine with LA Noir up until the main character cheated on his wife at seemingly random. It was one of the first times I felt like all of my agency over my player character had been straight up defiled.

Also the trash rear end ending and last act in general

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I got a 7 dollar screen protector when this thing launched and was kinda bummed it was just some kind of film (I'm a idiot and just assumed it was a cheap plastic protector or something).

Other day my cat kicked my switch inside the dock onto the floor. Wasn't a big fall but still. Saw that it didn't have any scratches or anything and well guess I underestimated the protector I got. Neat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Every time a Steam World game gets announced I see a lot of dudes talk about how much they love it and they can't wait for more so I went ahead and grabbed 2 just to check it out myself. I mean I spent my entire afternoon playing it and it's 2:00AM right now but I don't see what the big deal is??? It just ate up my day???

Though seriously I have no idea what the story of the game I just played was and despite the credits rolling and nothing really being said when I start the game back up it feels like I'm missing something. The game is just Bizarre

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BisterdDave posted:

If Splatoon characters are in Mario Kart 8, does this mean we might see Pikachu in MK9?

Pokemon Company strongly dislikes stuff like that so probably not.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

thexerox123 posted:

There are plenty of Pokemon in Smash Bros, don't see why they'd trust Nintendo to use them for that but not for Mario Kart.

If I recall it took Nintendo some time to get pokemon into Mario Maker and even then they weren't allowed to use their cries until a couple months into the games life. TPC is weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

These are the current results from the copy ability poll that's ongoing.

I like mirror but c'mon Yo-yo, you're so danged close to number 1.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Trasson posted:

Yoyo is like Plasma and Sword in that it's really awesome when you're ten and suck at Super Star.

Mirror is in the hallowed halls of Ninja and Jet that are awesome once you're older and know true power and can make Yoyo look like a chump.

Mirror 4 lyfe efyl rorriM

Yoyo owns because of it's super attack that has Kirby launch to the top of the screen making GBS threads stars everywhere while totally invincible. That and it's just a neat tool in general.

Mirror is cool but it didn't have anything super wild until Robobot and was just a different flavor of Beam with a neat dash animation/attack and shield :v:vo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One of the rewards for the "winner" of the ability poll that they'll supposedly make that ability a priority to put into the last 3DS Kirby game coming out soon if the ability isn't already confirmed to be in the game.

So everybody is basically just asking to make the game harder if sleep is always one of the abilities given to you in, say a mode that randomizes the abilities given to you.

Kinda right, what they said is the winner will be free post-launch DLC for the game (which kinda hints that there will be other DLC with it).

You aren't randomly assigned a power either, you pick your favorite and take it to the ring to prove why it's the best. On the voting site if it has a Kirby icon that means it's already in the game, and if its got a red icon that means "we can't come up with a moveset for it in this game."

Curiously sleep doesn't have a red dot so they actually have some kind of moveset planned for it unless they plan to put it in and when selected your kirby just sleeps until it dies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TGS is wild

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't want a smash 4 dx because in my head that means we probably won't see a Smash 5.

As much as I like MK8 I kind of have the same feeling that we won't get another totally new one on the system.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Yes, good. I don't want a Smash 5. I don't want them to build an entire new game from scratch, again. Smash 4 plays perfectly fine, there's no reason to change things up again. Just bring over everything, don't make any major changes to the engine or whatever, and focus 100% of the dev time to new characters and stages.

Just say NO to Smash 5

Counterpoint I want a smash 5 that way Sakurai is forced to address Dedede and make him not bad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Steamworld Dig was fun like I said earlier in the thread but I still don't know how to digest it. It's super unique and I liked everything about the mechanics but the total lack of level design outside the caves just kinda rubs me the wrong way. It felt like the game just flat out ended right when I was getting into it and that kinda sucks for me personally.

I have all these genuinely fun movement options but nothing really asked me to make use of them unless I wanted to pick up a random unimportant collectable. I could get more cogs but like, I never felt that I needed any of the upgrades and just slotted stuff at random for the most part.

Also while I like the concept of the final boss it was just awful to play. Spoilers on it:
I was fine with dodging projectiles as a phase but each phase went on way, WAY too long. Also when the Boss falls in the later half and it forces you to stand in the acid to actually hit it just seems like bad game design? Unless I missed something fairly obvious.

If there's a Steamworld 3 I'd still probably try it out because I did like it, I just hope a lot of personal kinks are ironed out.

I also hope there's a "what you missed" plot thing going on because the story was a total mess to someone who missed out on Steamworld 1. I have no idea what voltron is or what that spook dimension thing was about or why I had a lil pixel pal or literally anything. It just felt like total nonsense being spewed between robots and just made me scratch my head and verbally go "ok?"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Frankston posted:

You can stand on top of the thing and hit it

I guess I just landed at a awkward angle as the couple times I thought to try it I just got damaged and then stopped trying.

I still think that it's kinda poor to have the player jump on a enemy when the only other time you did it was literally at the very start of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Maybe make Double Dash a mode so I can avoid that trash fire like the plague and people who love consuming garbage can have their toxic cake.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TFRazorsaw posted:

My issue with a few of the Paper Mario games is that some of them aren't really interested in being Mario games. Like, the original Paper Mario has a nice balance, but while TYYD is objectively good in many respects, it's kind of frustrating how it sends Mario to a place that doesn't feel as much like a Mario world and seems more concerned with its own mythology. Then Super Paper Mario doubles up on it and sends him to an alternate universe of all things and it's a multiverse spanning adventure. It gets to the point where Mario himself feels superfluous in these games - I get that he's a silent protagonist but I think the Mario & Luigi games do a better job of keeping that while also letting the brothers be characters in their own story.

I dunno. I kinda see the logic in the new focus on established Mario characters, because like... they're very basic archetypes at their core, but in the same way the Disney animated staples are. Their characterization is broad enough and they're weirdly simple enough that you can do a surprisingly good amount with them. Too often the first three PM games feel like they want to do something different for the sake of doing something different.

A good example of this is Kammy Koopa. Like, why does Bowser have two Magikoopa characters who are old and get treated like crap? She and Kamek are pratically identical, so why not just use Kamek and let us learn more about Kamek?

I know I'm probably gonna get "lol, story in Mario games" but these are rpgs, so. I think it's worth discussing.

I disagree with TTYD as it felt like a place I could see existing in a Mario World- just some lovely backwater town that Mario winds up in. Nega Delfino etc.

I do agree with SPM because that confused mess has a butterfly as the main character and the Mario folks don't add anything and can be swapped out with bags of junk and nothing would change. Then again SPM did basically nothing right and everything wrong so it being a trash fire story isn't too surprising.

Kammy owns though and was there first in Paper Mario series. Seeing Kamek take over sucked because he doesn't have a original design from basic rear end magikoopas and they wrote him to literally be Kammy 2.0 just so they don't have to use her sprite for whatever reason.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

I just wish Kamek had something to visually distinguish him from every other magikoopa.

I would instantly like him more if he had something unique about him instead of literally nothing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

irlZaphod posted:

The moons in Odyssey are equivalent to Stars in 64/Sunshine, there are several per stage and they're needed for progression. It's not like the Korok seeds in BOTW. But again, you don't need to get every moon from every stage unless you're looking for 100% completion. You'll presumably only need a few to move on to the next area or whatever.

I'd argue this point slightly in that they don't seem to be like the Stars or Shines really. The moons are korok seeds 100%. I've seen Mario just break a random box in a town and have moons rain down on him and back around E3 there were videos of "wow I found 10-15 moons in 9 minutes!!"

The things are just mindless collectables, though you're right that you don't need them all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario Odyssey has leaked so if your going on blackout start now. All the kingdoms/worlds have been listed and screenshots of playthroughs are starting to pop up in various places.

On the topic of it, The only two things that kinda piss me off about FE: W is that none of the non-sword users have unique attacks. I got Sakura and Takumi and they have the same exact animations and everything.

Other thing that annoys me is the fact I've ran into Oboro, fought her and have fought other DLC characters already. If this was HW then they would of been put in a free update instead of whatever the hell is going on now. I don't even know why I'd want these losers in the first place if they have nothing unique about them other then their Musou.

Fun game but boy those two irk me.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 21, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wahoo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

enojy posted:

You have to buy the YouTube Streamer Starter Kit (upper-end Logitech webcam, Blue Yeti microphone with a pop filter and stabilizer, Elgato capture device, approx. $1500 worth of memorabilia poo poo as a backdrop on cheap IKEA bookshelves) and then upload a bunch of videos to YouTube that all end in "make sure to click like and subscribe"

Didn't this recently explode on a bunch of youtubers? I know I've seen a few complaining that they won't get free video games :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JackDarko posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors chat should stop as I'm very close to purchasing the game. I played One Piece Warriors for a ridiculous amount of time.

You should get it, it's very good

• Locked thread