Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im pretty sure kewpuh's opinions on koopas are 100% canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i heaard his uncle has the inside scoop

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DLC Inc posted:

why is 1k Door hated so much, is it because of the story? I've never played that one but assume that is the case

More like one-thousand years of backtracking

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TFRazorsaw posted:

My issue with a few of the Paper Mario games is that some of them aren't really interested in being Mario games. Like, the original Paper Mario has a nice balance, but while TYYD is objectively good in many respects, it's kind of frustrating how it sends Mario to a place that doesn't feel as much like a Mario world and seems more concerned with its own mythology. Then Super Paper Mario doubles up on it and sends him to an alternate universe of all things and it's a multiverse spanning adventure. It gets to the point where Mario himself feels superfluous in these games - I get that he's a silent protagonist but I think the Mario & Luigi games do a better job of keeping that while also letting the brothers be characters in their own story.

I dunno. I kinda see the logic in the new focus on established Mario characters, because like... they're very basic archetypes at their core, but in the same way the Disney animated staples are. Their characterization is broad enough and they're weirdly simple enough that you can do a surprisingly good amount with them. Too often the first three PM games feel like they want to do something different for the sake of doing something different.

A good example of this is Kammy Koopa. Like, why does Bowser have two Magikoopa characters who are old and get treated like crap? She and Kamek are pratically identical, so why not just use Kamek and let us learn more about Kamek?

I know I'm probably gonna get "lol, story in Mario games" but these are rpgs, so. I think it's worth discussing.

I disagree with TTYD as it felt like a place I could see existing in a Mario World- just some lovely backwater town that Mario winds up in. Nega Delfino etc.

I do agree with SPM because that confused mess has a butterfly as the main character and the Mario folks don't add anything and can be swapped out with bags of junk and nothing would change. Then again SPM did basically nothing right and everything wrong so it being a trash fire story isn't too surprising.

Kammy owns though and was there first in Paper Mario series. Seeing Kamek take over sucked because he doesn't have a original design from basic rear end magikoopas and they wrote him to literally be Kammy 2.0 just so they don't have to use her sprite for whatever reason.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I appreciate that Nintendo has maintained a pretty hard stance of "Mario's world is whatever we need it to be, don't worry about the world building, don't worry about the backstory, Mario is brave and Luigi is timid, that's it", because it allows them to keep a 30+ year old franchise fresh and inventive when need be, and I feel like when you get really invested into the personality/world/backstory of your mascot series, you end up with sonic the hedgehog. And I love sonic more than any person really should admit but a lot of things from the sonic franchise serve as cautionary tales for others

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just not really sure how the characters are different at all. But then, Kamek has always been one of my favorite Mario villains since Yoshi's Island and it's always struck me how underutilized he's been for someone who should be more prominent in the Koopa Troop.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just wish Kamek had something to visually distinguish him from every other magikoopa.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

I just wish Kamek had something to visually distinguish him from every other magikoopa.

I would instantly like him more if he had something unique about him instead of literally nothing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno. The character's like Yoshi. He simultaneously exists as THE "Kamek" and is a representative of an entire species.

The name differences between Japan and America ironically make him feel like he should have his own traits, I guess? I don't think that makes him any less of a character than anyone else in mario, though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Let's compromise and have Kamek and Kammy I bet they would work well together.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also please do not separate Bowser from his father ever again thank you

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A long distance friend has been trying to get me on that switch poo poo since it came out, and now that he has splatoon I’ve finally said screw it:

Only down side is I had to go to Walmart to get the right bundle, but everyone should have to step into Walmart once a year anyways.

Also this console is gonna be 99% portable because it’s for when I travel, and I’m already blown away by how this looks compared to my last portable system, a teal gameboy color.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Regy Rusty posted:

Kammy Koopa is better than Kamek

Spellman
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm just not really sure how the characters are different at all.

She has old woman problems which makes her instantly funny

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TTYD is ragged on by people who play JRPG's because it has two separate instances of like ten minutes of backtracking.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Takoluka posted:

That already came out. Manually update your game.

I was really hoping someone would reply to tell me that'd come out :D. I literally haven't looked at it since Golf Story, FIFA and Stardew came out. Awesome to hear!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I really love that they put this dialog in for when you kill the boss in a non-standard way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I want a shiny new game to play as I'm going into 3 days of PTO....I bet cave story would be great but that price point is making me balk a bit.

I guess I could finish Golf Story and continue working through BotW but I want the high of a new purchase, drat it! Other candidates include Shovel Knight (which I already beat on 3DS), Stardew Valley (though I'm not feeling a chill game right now), or maybe even Binding of Isaac, cept that once again that sticker price is stupid high. Ahh I also have a lot of Picross S I can work through

I'm gonna have a beer while I browse the eShop and go from there

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My current plan is to finish 2 of GolfStory, Splat2n(singleplayer), MarioXCOM, or Sonic before I'll allow myself to buy Mario.

hahahaaha there is no chance in hell that's happening but a man can dream.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's cool that I already have an unmanageable backlog even though I've only had this thing for maybe a month

On the other hand maybe we value our time more and want to extract other exepriences, not having to beat games was a liberating reveal for me (i sitll feel guilty when I don't finish fantastic games though)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

KingSlime posted:

It's cool that I already have an unmanageable backlog even though I've only had this thing for maybe a month

high five, buddy!

I finished BotW though. Holy poo poo what a game experience to break in the Switch with. I never had a WiiU so it was brand new. Completely awesome.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I guess I could finish Golf Story and continue working through BotW but I want the high of a new purchase, drat it! Other candidates include Shovel Knight (which I already beat on 3DS), Stardew Valley (though I'm not feeling a chill game right now), or maybe even Binding of Isaac, cept that once again that sticker price is stupid high. Ahh I also have a lot of Picross S I can work through

if you are feeling like an un-chill game, Volgarr The Viking got you covered. Mario XCom is also really, really great and gets challenging as heck later on

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/917932000492773376

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh isometric elephant Zelda comes out this week. Yono

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

TTYD is ragged on by people who play JRPG's because it has two separate instances of like ten minutes of backtracking.

I wouldn't call the entirety of Chapter 4 "ten minutes".

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Volgar looks like it might be fun and worth $10 buuuuut I just remembered about Steamworld Dig 2

Perfect price point + length for me to enjoy during my few days of freedom from corporate drudgery!

E: Downloading, yessss. I really enjoyed 1 and have come to appreciate short games much more than ever before

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

I finished BotW though. Holy poo poo what a game experience to break in the Switch with. I never had a WiiU so it was brand new. Completely awesome.

I just started a few days ago and am overwhelmed. *Sledgehammering boxes and cooking apples with snails when I see a concerned guard* “Oh your wife left you, cuccos are your only solace, and they all escaped? I would be happy to help” *searches for chickens, finds a diva fairy down in the dumps* “Why hell yes you can touch all my clothes to make them more powerful” *tames a horse, rides around in glee, is immediately blasted by a guardian*

I need to find more shrines and climb more towers but God drat does the shrine radar sound annoying.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I snagged picross and golf Story even though I haven't finished a single game yet

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ragequit posted:

I need to find more shrines and climb more towers but God drat does the shrine radar sound annoying.

You can turn it off. I really recommend doing so until you find yourself having trouble finding them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I turned it off. Was that a bad idea?

E: welp that was fast, good to know

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Mario Odyssey outfits give you different hats, all of which you can throw and they have the property of taking control of non hatted characters. Except that the second they make contact the hat switches back to standard red.

That single fact has left me with nothing but doubt in my mind.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Stardew Valley have a crop trampling system? I keep noticing some of my crops are vanishing and i can only guess its because I'm accidentally walking on them.

Tender Bender posted:

Chapter 4 has you backtrack down the same extremely narrow forest path a minimum of 5 times. I love the game for its writing and art but the design is questionable at times.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 12, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Does Stardew Valley have a crop trampling system? I keep noticing some of my crops are vanishing and i can only guess its because I'm accidentally walking on them.

Chapter 4 has you backtrack down the some extremely narrow forest path a minimum of 5 times. I love the game for its writing and art but the design is questionable at times.

There's also the part in chapter 7 where you backtrack through the entire game that people also always forget.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but Rawk Hawk tho

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
someone got the issue of edge and is posting detaisl from it:

quote:

Just got the issue, the cover is of Mario in his wedding outfit, not the one from the Spanish edition posted earlier. Shall we have some bits from the review so we stop talking about whether SS is any good or not? :P

- There are 50-odd capture possibilites. 'It pays close attention to the physics and handling of each of these new forms, making each one enjoyable to command'.

- The transformations 'are not always essential, and in many cases Mario's repertoire is enough to get by, though it's often quicker or easier to make the switch. Sometimes you'll bench Mario for the simple novelty of playing as something else'.

- 'Even leaving Cappy out of the equation, our hero has been furnished with his most expansive moveset to date....it's tempting to say Mario has never felt better in the palms.'

- Portable mode feels a little like a compromise compared to playing with Joy-Cons in separate hands, partly because it can be hard to make out distant targets on the smaller screen. The TV feels like Odyssey's natural home.

- There are a clutch of stage-specific quests that offer more traditional, structured progression but generally you're free to choose what you do next.

- 'Not all activities are created equal but you're never far from a brilliant new idea or a clever twist on an old one'

- Mario's finest ever selection of boss fights.

'The party continues in the postgame too' but no explicit details. There's some kind of spoilery stuff about references to earlier games I won't post here.

- 'There is a lot of BOTW in SMO, from the chance to scout out potential destinations from high above ground, to the way the soundtrack often lets you acclimatise to your surroundings in relative quiet before the stage's theme announces itself. But it's most obvious in the way its environments appeal to your natural curiosity, sights and sounds teasing you away from your present path - and in its sheer volume of diversions.

- 'Link may have more Korok seeds to find than Mario has moons, but not by many.'

- 'Odyssey feels like a true reinvention of the sandbox platformer'

- 'by giving you a broader number of ways to collect moons, it's a game that's more considerate of every type of player'

- 'Peach, for her part, is no damsel in distress and her role expands in the post-game, although not in the way you might expect'.

That covers the main bits really, there's a lot more but it's mainly details about transformations (both character and level). There's also a post-script article comparing the game to Galaxy and Sunshine in how it approaches level design etc

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Internet Kraken posted:

Crows can eat them so you might need a few scarecrows. Once you've placed them, they'll tell you how many crows they've scared away. I'm not sure but I think certain things can get demolished if hit by lightning too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Peach's expanded role is that she officiates Bowser and Mario's wedding.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mario sounds awesome but if there's one thing I hate it's collecting stupid poo poo like seeds or moons that everyone just uses a guide for anyway

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Peach's expanded role is that she officiates Bowser and Mario's wedding.
:nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where/how/when can I play this demo?

I played at Target!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where/how/when can I play this demo?

• Locked thread