Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Omnikin posted:

So fwiw so far The Jump Off seems to be SF5 live and replayed matches. Not that I'm complaining but I thought it would be a bit more varied

They showed two SF matches and then went to Smash. They're showing all the games, just not jumping around immediately after every single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

this character select thing for between rounds is hilarious. f champs' bio is gold

My favorite is Daigo because it mentions this wonderful video from Evo 2k3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VcpqASY3HI

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hahaha Korean shirt wall between players tech has been improved upon with Chinese cover over your stick tech on the Kof stream.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh poo poo my friend who's there for BB was on stream for the very first match and won, that's loving great.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Goddamn that's a powerful top 8.

e: also the extremely intense commentator guy seems to be loosening up in real time so either he was just super nervous of doing a top 8 or doing a thing on purpose

Veib fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 15, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Both Nage and Omito have gotten 2nd, neither of the guys they lost to are there this time, one of those two is gonna win this thing.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Johnny is extremely cool, and Omito is extremely good, and I don't care about that loser Nage anymore Omito gonna win

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I might try Guilty Gear when I get back to my PS4 in the fall, I saw the tutorial modes and it seems to actually have the tutorials that people who say "Fighting games should have better tutorials" are asking for

It totally does and it still got 1/3 the entrants SFV did, and also less than either T7 or Injustice, so it's almost as if the existence of great tutorials is not actually a thing that matters when it comes to popularity.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Chipp kicking down little houses looks kind of hilarious.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Boo, the dream is dead

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Omito is so loving sick. Like he didn't lose a single game there, no way he's losing 6 to anyone in grand finals

Dias posted:

Also the gently caress is Leo he just presses buttons.

That's exactly what he is and why I hate playing against him. Every move looks the same and things just happen.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

gently caress YES

6-1 against Tomo in top 8, seems good

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

You know, I was wondering if those Brook 360 -> PS4 converters were any good and well there are now two of those simultaneously on Evo main stage in winners so I guess they're ok.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I loving love Phoenix so this is an extremely good top 8.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Three 360 controllers in top 8, what even is this anymore

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Ventana posted:

It's not just chun, it's also that Morrigan/Phoenix is just a really good shell itself. fchamp tried to use this shell too but he sucked at morrigan so he couldn't use it very well. Chun and morrigan having their own TAC infinites helps a lot too (don't remember if phoenix had one).

Alioune was playing Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix at some point which seemed good but France isn't exactly known for their Marvel scene so he never really got anything done in US tournements.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Actually he governs, he is a democratically elected government official not a hereditary monarch

e: also a reminder that Haggar is one of the very few characters who have won multiple Evos

Veib fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 16, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Dias posted:

canada team wears proud red colors, usa has all white because that's what they're all about nowadays

He doesn't play white Phoenix which is really annoying to me, color coordination is like the most important part of team synergy

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

That end was a loving roller coaster

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is BlazBlue worth watching

Apparently the tournament is extremely stacked with a shitton of the very best Japanese players present

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I can't believe I'm cheering for Dark Phoenix

You should just accept that Dark Phoenix was a force of good all along

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

DARK PHOENIX WINS EVO I'M SO HAPPY

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, Chris G smiled and shook hands? He grew up.

Real talk I'd assume actually finally winning Evo last year really did a lot of good to him.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

No shill
No shill

You're the shill

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

So looking at past winners the only characters to win multiple Marvel finals are

Phoenix
Morrigan
Doom
Vergil
Haggar

all at 2. Fchamp played Phoenix in the tournament and even in top 8 which brings her to 3, but not in the grand finals set itself.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Nine seems cool, anime witch is a cool character design archetype that they should add to SFV

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Dias posted:

we have rose she's literally an anime and a magician :colbert:

Doesn't have the pointy witch hat, doesn't count (and also isn't in SFV so)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

That's not canon

I forgot about Tessa, she's cool, they should add her to Infinite

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Jiro posted:

I'd really wish for KOF on Sundays but that will never happen. :(

Sure it will, just gotta oh I dunno triple the number of entrants

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

I honestly can't think of any fighter that has a good story

Tekken

Man throws his son off a cliff
Son grows up all pissed and throws his dad off a cliff in revenge
Man throws his son in a volcano to make sure that doesn't happen again
20 years later man throws his grandson out of a helicopter

A story for the ages.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

goatface posted:

Does any fightan game do a grizzled 50-something woman who knows krav maga or something?

Women ages 30-80 don't exist in video games (Power Instinct has the pair of grannies who are like 100)

Or any kind of media, really

You're either young and hot or old and wise, no middle ground

Benson Cunningham posted:

This is the best thing I have ever seen.

Do yourself a favor and click that link everyone.

Tekken endings in general are just fantastic

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Karnegal posted:

I mainly want Testament back

Sure as long as they take Badlands away from him again in the process

I hate that stupid move so much

e: exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcoCQWsQL10&t=156s

Veib fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 16, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Guilty Gear is just as anime as Blazblue.

Only moral anime is my anime

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I thought most of the original BBCT characters were super boring, there's bootleg Sol/Ky/Pot, a robot samurai, gothic lolita vampire, that guy from Spirited Away, and Literally Just Strider From Strider, but I actually like some of the newer ones even thought I very much prefer GG.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

guilty gears is just as anime prefer it or not, and personally I've found their recent designs kinda weaker,

Yeah every new character added in from Xrd onwards is garbage

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Dias posted:

i forgot about this even tho i had it on c/p

https://twitter.com/ApologyMan/status/853782524010446849

https://twitter.com/ApologyMan/status/886634334219665408

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've played very little BB years ago and don't watch it at all outside Evo but Evo finals have been consistently excellent.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

OH poo poo

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

HAHAHAHA THEY loving DID IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Okay time to throw your family members down from great heights

• Locked thread