Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

gently caress yeah weresheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Bump

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

what the sheep do?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

The first thing the weresheep did was charge after a migrant dwarf child, which was okay because the child ran away from the gate and towards all the new pack animals. Maybe we can get everyone else inside

A burrow will get the dwarfs inside and away from danger

in the migrant wave we got two hunters so lets get them moving

One of our new militia dwarfs was killed and the other was a little slow getting outside so I just had him turn around and go back into the fort once I saw that the rest of the dwarfs were already safe

Casualties: Deduk Nishlular the hunter who had just arrived in the muigrant wave, a cat, a dwarf child, a cavy pup, a water buffalo calf, and two horse foals. the horses took so long to kill that the weresheep transformed back into a goblin and ran away without ever going into the fort.

Summer is here and the humans have arrived to trade. Not sure why the caravan couldn't get to the depot, looks like maybe a tree got in the way

assigning the burrow made me realize a few things about the defense of the fort. We need to link some bridges to levers. that and furnishing rooms, the barracks, and getting our furnaces running will be our to-do list. I'd like to get down to the first cavern layer before Spring

I promise not to take so long with the next post

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Also I forgot to congratulate our fort's newest mother, GorfZaplen, and daddy Evil Fluffy! The child is healthy and adjusting well to fort life

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I forgot to post the trade agreement that we have with the humans last time so here it is for posterity

Some light reading for the caravan guards on the trip between Omon Shud and Numberhumor

We traded mostly rock crafts, cut gems and one pot of prepared food for leather, cloth, a bit of food and some parchment from the human traders.

Another one?

this time the traders are still inside the walls so we can summon all dwarfs to the inner fort, retract the bridges and let the humans and livestock fight it out

Oh no! Someone's outside the gate gathering a log or whatever the gently caress

it's Mechanic Chad Bobnumerotres. He's got a pickaxe, maybe he stands a chance?

maybe not

The fight was decided quickly but it took a long time for Bob to be finished off.

Fisherdwarf Subjunctive was lollygagging on his way back to the gate. For the sake of the fort we should have retracted the bridge on him, but that would be cruel. And don't we want to see the weresheep fight the caravan guards inside?

Bobnumerotres last heroic act was to horrify his murderer with his own death.

The monster was just sitting there for a while so why not try out this retracting bridge? While the sheep monster was busy feeling sorry for himself about murdering an innocent Chad, Subjunctive books it inside just in time for the bridge to be drawn

The weresheep wandered off, eventually tried to harass a yak cow and then turned back into a goblin and ran away

In other news, the workshops are trucking along and we have a good flow of crafts and coke fuel. Plenty of food and drink, and soap soon.

Next update will probably be at the end of Autumn unless something big happens

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

awesome. i hope that weresheep gobbo stays safe.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

there are probably whole villages filled with weresheep in this hosed up world that Average Bear genned

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Autumn is here. We got some migrants. With the earlier wave of 18 dwarfs and this wave of 7, minus the three dwarfs killed by monsters, the fort population stands at 39.

Dwarf census with some new Named dwarfs.

With so many dwarfs it's probably about time to start putting together a militia

This cloud spawned in the northernmost edge of the map but it didn't even come close to the fort

a harpy chased some of the livestock into the bee hut. counting the ensuing beatdown of said harpy, this is the most exiting thing to happen this whole season

Aint that a kick in the teeth

After opening the hall to make it a tavern and designating a corner of it as a temple, we are getting some visitors in the fort

Another migrant wave adds 8 to the fort.

He claimed a craftsdwarf workshop and made a boring old horse bone amulet. At least we have a legendary bone carver now

Another cloud of soot blew into the map but once again it came from the north and drifted off to the east without getting close to the fort

Pressed some dwarfs into the militia so we have some brave souls to man the walls

It's the end of autumn. Time flies... this was a pretty uneventful season, maybe winter will be more interesting

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Would like to submit mysekf as a migrant again pls

Munchables posted:

Please name one Dunston Checks In after the hit Jason Alexander movie.

Also lmso at "I'm panicking! I'm panicking!" after kickinh out a harpys teeth

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
like a dwarfy once said

ain't that a kick in the head

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Here we are... Winter.

Since we got so many immigrants lately we'll have to dig out more apartments, which means more beds and furnishings

Work orders streamline the process nicely

Also starting to dig out a tunnel to the caverns. We want to have at least one trappable, defensible corridor between the caverns and the fort proper, even if we plan to eventually move the entire fort underground.

traps mostly set, cages and stonefall traps which should be fine for now

The tavern is bustling with activity with goblin visitors and the firing range is getting a lot of use

Strange mood

Here's the artifact we ended up with... on the mug is a depiction of itself.

We've broken through to the caverns, but the spot we dug into is 2 zlevels above the cavern floor so we'll cover up the stairs that lead down into a nasty fall and attack the cavern from a different angle

taking a little break...

A glance at the caverns. Lots of hoppers and cave spiders

The year is over. Here's what happened in no particular order

- built a barracks/archers range for our new squad of marksdwarfs and started training
- built and furnished a lot of new apartments for all the new dwarfs. furnished all the old apartments with cabinets for their clothes
- Established a tavern and temple in the meeting hall to make everyone a little happier
- Broke into the first cavern level
- Got furnaces running and a huge amount of coke fuel prepared (over 250 bars) and iron ore smelted (over 100 bars)
- linked all bridges up to levers to use for defense and used Notes to show what they do
- Dug out and engraved fortifications for the sniper nest over the main hallway
- All industries except Glassworking (it looks like theres no sand on our embark site) are pretty much up and running with dwarfs assigned to all jobs

There werent many threats this year, just the two werebeasts and some nasty dust clouds.

Good luck to the next overseer of Numberhumor!

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Uploading the savegame now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ub655jc1kYaFR1d1BpS2l3Smc/view?usp=sharing

extremely steampunk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 8, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have the save and will get started on it today

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think we should have an airlock system in place if we're going to explore the underground so nasty monsters don't come up and ruin our fort.

We're under attack pretty much right away! Where's the military when you need them?

What are you guys doing!?

Apparently you have to make a squad active in the military menu. After figuring out how to do that they quickly surround the kidnapper and beat them to death in front of the entire fortress.

I haven't played fort mode since 40d (That was over six years ago!)so I don't really remember what you're supposed to do at this point in the game. I remember making lots and lots of rock crafts so I set that up.

A moat doesn't really work if there's big ramps that let you get out of it so I send some dwarves to smooth those out.

We've got 31 spots remaining for the Imp Zone Succession tryouts. Get in quick!

If goblins decided to attack this place we'd all be sitting ducks. Right now you can just jump right in from this ledge here. I'll do something about that later.

It looks like the majority of our crafts our made out of animals, which the elves do not like, so it was a good call to start making rock mugs and crafts. We trade them some figurines for various animals and fruits. We also got some practical goods as well!

Migrants arrive around the same time so I begin building more apartments. There's a serious lack of beds around here!

I thought that this was some cruel community bedroom area so I built more until I realized it was a hospital. Okay!

Spring's a really busy time of year! I'll finish it up in a different post.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

GorfZaplen posted:

I think we should have an airlock system in place if we're going to explore the underground so nasty monsters don't come up and ruin our fort.

We're under attack pretty much right away! Where's the military when you need them?

What are you guys doing!?

Apparently you have to make a squad active in the military menu. After figuring out how to do that they quickly surround the kidnapper and beat them to death in front of the entire fortress.

I haven't played fort mode since 40d (That was over six years ago!)so I don't really remember what you're supposed to do at this point in the game. I remember making lots and lots of rock crafts so I set that up.

A moat doesn't really work if there's big ramps that let you get out of it so I send some dwarves to smooth those out.

We've got 31 spots remaining for the Imp Zone Succession tryouts. Get in quick!

If goblins decided to attack this place we'd all be sitting ducks. Right now you can just jump right in from this ledge here. I'll do something about that later.

It looks like the majority of our crafts our made out of animals, which the elves do not like, so it was a good call to start making rock mugs and crafts. We trade them some figurines for various animals and fruits. We also got some practical goods as well!

Migrants arrive around the same time so I begin building more apartments. There's a serious lack of beds around here!

I thought that this was some cruel community bedroom area so I built more until I realized it was a hospital. Okay!

Spring's a really busy time of year! I'll finish it up in a different post.

Awesome update

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Nice! I think the elves will take crafts made out of bone, shells, etc. which is good because I had a craftsdwarf making shell crafts on an infinite work order due to having a million pond turtle shells laying around

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

hell yes the fortress lives

now where can i preorder that sweet mug?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the elves just don't like stuff made out of wood, but wood works its way into a surprising number of things. bone and shell are fine.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Lol at thinking the hospital was a public dormitory

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Great job so far! What's happening with the dwarfing list, though?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Don't forget to name immigrants

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll go through everyone again but it looks like everyone has been named so far.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Half the fortress is listening to a story

I really want to get our decorative mug business up and running so I build a couple more workshops.

With the airlock system ready, it's time to start exploring the depths!

Right away we come across a troglodyte clan. Let's exterminate them!

Oh no! Someone was wounded in the battle! Luckily they have no name.

This man is asleep on the job. He's out of the military and left below to fend for himself.

Who the hell is this? It could be you! Sign up for Numberhumor today!

Wow!!!

OH! MY! GOD!

It's now Summer! What does this season have in store for us?

What?

Why?

We should probably stay out of the underground for now.

I start some exploratory mining deeper into the earth and results come back pretty quickly.

The humans have arrived! Our depot apparently isn't "accessible" so I order the smoothing and removal of boulders in the area around the depot. If that doesn't work then I might have to build a road.

Yikes! And you thought our news was negative lately!

We only drink the finest #craftbeer in Numberhumour

Here's what they want from us next year

I trade a bunch of our mugs for everything they have. The traders still come out with a huge profit and we have more to spare!

Picture of the mugs we make:

Our big baby of a mayor wants a bigger room so I build one for him

Even that's not enough! I'm getting sick of this guy!

I'm going to increase the value of the entire fortress by smoothing and engraving everything. Fortress employment is up 200%!

Somebody's yak died in the dining hall, creating a big mess! It looks like there's just a dump right in the middle of the dining hall so I unforbid that and move all the garbage somewhere else.

More migrants. We're running out of space so I commission a public dormitory.

A cloud of devilish soot comes near, heading straight for the fortress!!!

Luckily it narrowly misses us. Open the gates!

The smoothing project is draining resources from other more important things so I cancel it for now. The rooms for the Chad 7 will still be engraved.

Autumn has arrived!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I've decided that it's a lot more fun watching people play Dwarf Fortress than it is playing it for myself.

:allears:

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

those clouds of ash did the same thing in my game, they never drift to the fort. might be fun to chain a goblin up out there and see what it does

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

great update, im excited for the future of the fort

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's everyone in the fort so far. Let me know if I missed anyone

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sign me up, I wanna be fuckin' mayor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Please don't tell the cops I'm a militia commander.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

big fan of this one guy who is so excited to listen to a story that he's all ! about it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Sign me up for a dwarfing, I'll take whatever job. Maybe a low level noble position if any are available.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Sign me up for the military!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Lol what is a broken smith? Did I do so bad a job I broke as a person in shame?

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't see a Fuubi in there. Did you miss me?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everyone has been dwarfed now

Munchables posted:

Lol what is a broken smith? Did I do so bad a job I broke as a person in shame?

Munchables posted:

Break my dwarven ribs and force me into chestplate labor again pls

Here's Fall everybody!

---------------------------------------------------------

Another possession already, this place must be cursed

Harpies are flying around our fortress, scaring the livestock. Luckily this goblin spearman who's visiting is taking care of it.

The caravan from the mountainhome is here! What's the good news?

Yeesh.

They really want scepters and goblets for some reason, our king must be really greedy.

I've decided to build the mayor a nice beachfront property

A clan of troglodytes has moved in where we killed the other ones

Oh joy, more migrants

Public dormitory is kind of a bust so I just built more apartments. Tiny cramped homes for everyone!

Interesting change on the diplomacy screen: the elves and humans are now at war.

What now?

Cripes! I really wish someone would do something about this mayor guy!

I'm building a path to the far side of the underground lake. What awaits us there, I wonder?

Olm people! Let's leave them alone, for now.

How could I say no?

That's it for fall! Kind of a quiet season. Also I ran out of alcohol at some point so now everyone is running around trying to drink water. People are passed out on their beds from dehydration. Oops!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dwarfing list updated, and frank.club is up!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Dwarfing list updated, and frank.club is up!

I have to finish Winter first

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I have to finish Winter first

oops oh no ah gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Please dwarf me.

I'd like to be useless and just hang around the tavern until the dust comes again.

Someone has to discover what the dust does. Let my sacrifice be funny.

• Locked thread