Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The minimap zooming out as you zoom out sounds normal to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The minimap zooming out as you zoom out sounds normal to me
Even if it is meant to zoom out, the icons in it are still not aligned correctly. In the zoomed-out screenshot the components are right in the middle of the screen, but in the minimap they're in the top-left of the blue rectangle that marks the visible space.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since having a key makes me an unofficial beta tester, I should probably report that I've found a couple bugs:
  • The components in the minimap sometimes get flickery when tests are running using the play button. Not sure exactly what scenario causes it but I see it happen pretty often.
  • When you zoom out, the components on the minimap also "zoom out", which I'm pretty sure shouldn't actually happen. Here's an image of what I mean:

The components should stay where they are in the minimap and only the blue rectangle should change size.

Yep, these are known and fixed for the next build. I spent half of yesterday working on them... very annoyingly tricky to sort out. The minimap code was wrong in several different ways, some of which cancelled each-other out, so fixing one issue made others appear...

If you're curious, these were bugs #9 and #65 on the public bug tracker.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

On top of that I have a couple of suggestions for UI stuff. It's all really minor nitpicky poo poo but I figure I may as well say something.
  • The four component category buttons should probably have a visible "1", "2" etc on them, just like how the components have a visible "q", "w", and so on. I know you can see the shortcuts by mousing over each category, but it's a consistency thing.
  • There are a couple cases where a new component shows up and the puzzle description doesn't mention it at all, such as with the input selector in Zeroes. It's not a huge deal because the category button still flashes to say "HEY LOOK NEW THING HERE", but I feel like it's a bit odd to have the puzzle description not say anything about it.
  • This is a personal preference, but the screen shake that you get whenever you drop a component seems a little too strong to me. It might be better with a sound attached, but I dunno. Maybe you should add an option to enable or disable it?
  • I dunno how you feel about this, but it might also make sense to add an option for edge scrolling, where you can scroll the field by putting your mouse on the edge of the screen. That might only work in fullscreen mode though.
Overall though, this game looks great and you should be proud of what you've got here. I don't want to delve too far into the game until you've put all the finishing touches on it, but I'll definitely be playing the poo poo out of it when it's officially released. :)

• I'm undecided about having visible numbers on the category buttons. It feels weird that the category buttons would have their shortcuts displayed when nothing else on the bottom bar does- and if you do want to display shortcuts for everything on the bottom bar, then how do you display ESC, DEL...? I'll experiment and see what looks best.
  • Reasonable - I'll tweak the Zeroes description.
  • Screen shake will probably be reduced in intensity once the sound effects go in. It's kind of an awkward placeholder for a sound effect right now. I've had it in since very very early builds, so I'm fond of it, but it's very love-or-hate among playtesters.
  • I tried edge scrolling a while ago. The problem is that there are way too many elements on the edges of screen (mostly the corners) - you tend to end up scrolling a lot by accident when trying to hit something else. There are enough different scrolling methods in the game right now that I'll hold off on adding more, at least until players start clamoring en masse for them :)

Thank you for the test feedback, and the kind words! I'll have a new build in two weeks or so, and you can pop back in then :)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For edge scrolling you may have it kick in after having your cursor at the edge for a second or two. No accidental nudges, but you keep one of the most widely used scrolling methods. Also, you can make it a toggle in the options.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For edge scrolling you may have it kick in after having your cursor at the edge for a second or two. No accidental nudges, but you keep one of the most widely used scrolling methods. Also, you can make it a toggle in the options.

Reasonable. I'll experiment!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh drat dude I didnt know you made manufactoria. That game owned

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
New update today! Features:
  • Sound effects are in!
  • New music!
  • Various bugfixes and tweaks...
  • And two more secret things.
Roughly one month left to release...

Control Volume posted:

Oh drat dude I didnt know you made manufactoria. That game owned

Thanks!

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm hella looking forward to this. Are there any other recent (2017) releases in the "really hard optimization puzzle game" genre? I need my fix.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

I'm hella looking forward to this. Are there any other recent (2017) releases in the "really hard optimization puzzle game" genre? I need my fix.

I'm assuming that means you've played TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O then? Those and other Zachtronics games are all I know of.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I'd consider Human Resource Machine to be in the same genre (though the reviews were mediocre); on the more obscure side, there's also MHRD and Cyber Sentinel.

(I haven't played any of these games myself, so I have no idea if they're any good or not.)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
New preview article is up!

The game's music and sound effects are just about done now. Three weeks to launch, and there's not much left to put in!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think I'll hop on this, I loved TIS. What's the price gonna be on Steam?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I think I'll hop on this, I loved TIS. What's the price gonna be on Steam?

$14.99 USD, or whatever the equivalent is in other currencies.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Been following development on tumblr for a bit, didn't realize you were on SA as well!

I loved Manufactoria, it's my go to recommendation for people who want to find out if they'd be interested in the programming/engineering puzzle genre (well, okay, Zachtronic's games specifically).

Congrats on nearing release Pleasing.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Sweet, I am always up for more programming games, even more so if I get to move blocks around.

Looking forward to throwing money at you and getting frustrated.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

[*]Reasonable - I'll tweak the Zeroes description.
I still had a bit of a pause here. For whatever reason I didn't get how the Input Selector worked :downs: Maybe the tool-tip should say "Input Select: Which input #'s value should be routed to output?" Or would that give it away too quickly?

I've been doing goon events so I'm not much further than that so far although I've put in a few hours and messed around with it on all my computers. I actually am really impressed with the in-game UI although I'm hoping I'll get a way to "pin" wires to make custom paths to clean things up a bit and to change their color when you highlight them (I wouldn't mind an option menu to just make it red. The bolder/darker thing just isn't doing it for my eyes probably because the wire colors are pretty desaturated anyway!). Oh, and I keep expecting back (to the editor) to be on the bottom left instead of main menu for some reason after finishing a test.

Also, you should've posted this praise!

https://twitter.com/pleasingfungus/status/902651751865520128

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I still had a bit of a pause here. For whatever reason I didn't get how the Input Selector worked :downs: Maybe the tool-tip should say "Input Select: Which input #'s value should be routed to output?" Or would that give it away too quickly?

Sure, put that in for the next build. I mean, 'giving it away' is the point of the tooltips! Plenty of challenge in the puzzles without having to guess what the modules do.

Doom Goon posted:

I actually am really impressed with the in-game UI although I'm hoping I'll get a way to "pin" wires to make custom paths to clean things up a bit and to change their color when you highlight them (I wouldn't mind an option menu to just make it red. The bolder/darker thing just isn't doing it for my eyes probably because the wire colors are pretty desaturated anyway!). Oh, and I keep expecting back (to the editor) to be on the bottom left instead of main menu for some reason after finishing a test.

Wire pinning is something that's partially implemented - you can see it in 'Time', for example. I just need to take a day or two and debug it before making it usable by players again.

Selected wire visibility is something I can try to improve. Right now there's the saturated/desaturated change (which you mentioned) plus a thin black outline. I can try making the outline thicker or, as you suggested, force the wires to some fixed color when selected - pure black, maybe? I'll experiment.

Daedalus1134 posted:

Sweet, I am always up for more programming games, even more so if I get to move blocks around.

Looking forward to throwing money at you and getting frustrated.

H*ck, I'm looking forward to it too :)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/pleasingfungus/status/903292920756707328
Ahahaha, that last development post about wires is :krad: Sweet old Flash screens, too!

Are there any plans for post-release content? I'd love a sort of hint system (right now I'm stuck on optimizing an early one and should probably move on. I guess I could look it up to see if it's a common electronics puzzle or wait for solutions but that feels both cheaty and like I wouldn't learn anything) and leaderboards would be alright, too.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 1, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

Are there any plans for post-release content? I'd love a sort of hint system (right now I'm stuck on optimizing an early one and should probably move on. I guess I could look it up to see if it's a common electronics puzzle or wait for solutions but that feels both cheaty and like I wouldn't learn anything) and leaderboards would be alright, too.

I'm definitely planning on post-release support/content. There are a few things I have in mind, and leaderboards are high on the 'hopefully' list. Ironically, the trickiest thing there is the art - my artist is a contractor who I pay for very specific work, so adding anything that requires art, especially a relatively small amount of art, has a lot of overhead. Still something I'd like to do!

A hint system for the puzzle 'ideals' isn't something I've seen suggested before. I'll have to think about it... it's possible that an in-game system of some kind would make sense, but it feels like the sort of thing I'd rather have handled by the community?

Can you post your current solution for the level in question? I'm very curious, at least, and perhaps other players would be too.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hey PleasingFungus, sent a bug report email.

PleasingFungus posted:

A hint system for the puzzle 'ideals' isn't something I've seen suggested before. I'll have to think about it... it's possible that an in-game system of some kind would make sense, but it feels like the sort of thing I'd rather have handled by the community?

Can you post your current solution for the level in question? I'm very curious, at least, and perhaps other players would be too.
I think it'd be neat if a hint system did it in steps (you have such and such modules, instead you can do it with such and such) instead of just telling you the solution straight up. A lot of solutions guides are just that and don't talk you through it. I'd imagine it'd get pretty complicated with multiple solutions or just bigger programs, but it's something I thought about since banging my head against TIS-100.

For the level, It's a super early one so I don't know how interesting it'll be. It's not like I'm doing Multiply or anything! But I'll post it and talk it through why not.

Flip

Basically the first 4 modules together top-left is a Counter connected to a memory reader so you can read the value of each slot of memory (one per tick starting from 0). Each Output Selector takes the value of memory, and if it's 0 (the top one) or 1 (the bottom one) it uses either memory writer to write the input (1 or 0, respectively) into the memory slot it is reading. If the value is neither of those it of course does nothing.

The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to optimize it to reduce a module. I can replace the top Output Selector but that still needs 0 and an Adder (or something similar, two modules at least). And I can't remove a Writer without changing the input significantly. I'm sure it's something simple but it's not coming to me!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I think it'd be neat if a hint system did it in steps (you have such and such modules, instead you can do it with such and such) instead of just telling you the solution straight up. A lot of solutions guides are just that and don't talk you through it. I'd imagine it'd get pretty complicated with multiple solutions or just bigger programs, but it's something I thought about since banging my head against TIS-100.

Sure, I love that kind of hint system. When, I was a kid, my father had the Official Riven Strategy Guide, which had a really splendid system of increasingly-direct hints for various puzzles. Doesn't seem to available anywhere online, sadly...

For Silicon Zeroes, again this would be ideally handled by the community. But, who can say.

I did write up some hints in that 'staged style' a few weeks ago to help one of my testers through Threes, Divide, and Greater. I can post them here if anyone is interested.

Doom Goon posted:

Flip

Basically the first 4 modules together top-left is a Counter connected to a memory reader so you can read the value of each slot of memory (one per tick starting from 0). Each Output Selector takes the value of memory, and if it's 0 (the top one) or 1 (the bottom one) it uses either memory writer to write the input (1 or 0, respectively) into the memory slot it is reading. If the value is neither of those it of course does nothing.

The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to optimize it to reduce a module. I can replace the top Output Selector but that still needs 0 and an Adder (or something similar, two modules at least). And I can't remove a Writer without changing the input significantly. I'm sure it's something simple but it's not coming to me!

Fully optimizing this one requires a bit of a trick.

• There's an implicit assumption you're making...
  • About which components connect to which ports.
  • Look carefully at what your output selectors are connected to.
  • What happens when a writer has '-' in its memory slot input?
  • Is there some way to use only one output selector?
  • What does a solution that connects output selectors to writer memory slot inputs look like?
  • If you hook up an output selector to the memory slot inputs of the writers, what is that output selector's input? And what are the writers' 'to write' inputs?
  • Can you connect the number modules directly to the writers' 'to write'?
  • Solution.

Hopefully that was helpful?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So I was replaying some levels today and redoing Multiplex from scratch it seemed really easy, which was confusing since I had trouble with it the first time so I went back to see what I did wrong before and I see that I didn't realize at the time you could expand the number of inputs in the input selector (I don't think the game tells you this is possible), so I had made this weird thing:

Got about a quarter of the puzzles left, looking really good.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Is there any way to get this before release? I've been looking at it more ever since I got bored with shenzhen

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Sure, I love that kind of hint system. When, I was a kid, my father had the Official Riven Strategy Guide, which had a really splendid system of increasingly-direct hints for various puzzles. Doesn't seem to available anywhere online, sadly...

For Silicon Zeroes, again this would be ideally handled by the community. But, who can say.

I did write up some hints in that 'staged style' a few weeks ago to help one of my testers through Threes, Divide, and Greater. I can post them here if anyone is interested.
Of course! It'll probably be released before I get to them at the rate I'm going, though. Which is great for me! I like to pour over it in my mind right when I should be sleeping.

quote:

Fully optimizing this one requires a bit of a trick.

• There's an implicit assumption you're making...
  • About which components connect to which ports.
Hmm, not following.

quote:

• Look carefully at what your output selectors are connected to.
Looks okay to me.

quote:

• What happens when a writer has '-' in its memory slot input?
It won't write, which is true for the other part. Which is why my non-optimized one works!

quote:

• Is there some way to use only one output selector?
Not that I see like this. I'm basically writing the zero and one value there into the input, the only way would be if I had to write...

Oh, damnit.

What's especially funny is that that one's optimized goal is only seven! Loved that puzzle, and great reference, too!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Is there any way to get this before release? I've been looking at it more ever since I got bored with shenzhen

I'd keep an eye on the thread, if I were you - I'm planning a big release in a couple of days, after PAX ends, and I'll probably drop a few more keys here then. :)

Aside from that - just over two weeks to go! Believe me, I'm just as eager for it to be out as you are. If not moreso.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So I was replaying some levels today and redoing Multiplex from scratch it seemed really easy, which was confusing since I had trouble with it the first time so I went back to see what I did wrong before and I see that I didn't realize at the time you could expand the number of inputs in the input selector (I don't think the game tells you this is possible), so I had made this weird thing:

Heh, that puzzle is actually the one that's supposed to teach you that you can resize selectors, but you're right that I don't actually mention that in the description! I'll sneak something in.

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, damnit.

:)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I don't know, this game looks a lot like TIS-100 to me.

I think I need a copy to make sure it's actually not.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

PleasingFungus posted:

I'd keep an eye on the thread, if I were you - I'm planning a big release in a couple of days, after PAX ends, and I'll probably drop a few more keys here then. :)

Are you exhibiting at PAX?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Will you be putting this on something like itch.io as well? (especially before the middle of september! :P)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Daedalus1134 posted:

Are you exhibiting at PAX?

Nope, but my feeling is that the gaming community is pretty focused on the show right now. Waiting until that calms down to put out anything new.

Will you be putting this on something like itch.io as well? (especially before the middle of september! :P)

It was up on itch before it was on Steam! (And I thoroughly appreciate anyone who gets the game on itch instead of Steam, once it's out.)

Michaellaneous posted:

I don't know, this game looks a lot like TIS-100 to me.

I think I need a copy to make sure it's actually not.

:P

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Nope, but my feeling is that the gaming community is pretty focused on the show right now. Waiting until that calms down to put out anything new.

It was up on itch before it was on Steam! (And I thoroughly appreciate anyone who gets the game on itch instead of Steam, once it's out.)

:P

oh sweet! I searched for it, but i guess i didnt do a good enough job...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
A new closed beta is out!

Changelist:
  • New puzzle: “Slowstall”, in the “High Speed” board.
  • New music for the second half of the game.
  • More new sound effects.
  • Steam achievements, for those using Steam.
  • Customizeable wire paths (above).
  • Edge scrolling (per goon request!)
  • And a large number of smaller fixes and tweaks.
I've also, experimentally, created a Discord channel for the game. Feel free to drop in and chat!

Here's one more set of keys. These are itch.io download keys; if you'd prefer a Steam key, just take an itch key and PM or email (pleasingfung@gmail) with your itch account name.
  • Taken!
  • Taken!
  • Taken!
Finally: if you like the game, or if you don’t know if you like it yet and want a verdict from someone less biased than the developer… please send a message to your favorite games writer or streamer, and ask them to cover Silicon Zeroes! (If you don’t have a favorite, I recommend RPS’s Alice O’Connor; she’s written quite a lot about similar games.)

If you yourself are some kind of games press, I can be reached for keys at pleasingfung@gmail.com or https://twitter.com/pleasingfungus. Every bit helps!

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 6, 2017

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Grabbed Key #10, thanks PleasingFungus! I'll be checking it out as soon as I have some free time this week. Very excited :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

NickPancakes posted:

Grabbed Key #10, thanks PleasingFungus! I'll be checking it out as soon as I have some free time this week. Very excited :)

Awesome! Let me know how it goes :)

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
I tried grabbing a key, but it seems like the remaining two must have already been taken as well? itch.io does not seem to give useful error messages; it's just redirecting to the generic Silicon Zeroes page with "This game is currently unavailable".

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PleasingFungus posted:

[*]New puzzle: “Slowstall”, in the “High Speed” board.
This is a good addition, being able to focus on just the stall helped me figure it out, which then helped me figure out where I was stuck on the next puzzle

Can you make edge scrolling an option, it's a bit annoying in a window? Personally I'd like arrow key scrolling.

Edit:
Swap can use one less module than your optimal solution ;)

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 5, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I tried grabbing a key, but it seems like the remaining two must have already been taken as well? itch.io does not seem to give useful error messages; it's just redirecting to the generic Silicon Zeroes page with "This game is currently unavailable".

That's very odd. They aren't marked as claimed internally, and I get a 'log in to claim' screen when I look at the page without being logged in...

Well, I've revoked and replaced those keys, so let me if the new ones work.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Can you make edge scrolling an option, it's a bit annoying in a window? Personally I'd like arrow key scrolling.

Edit:
Swap can use one less module than your optimal solution ;)

The problem with arrow key scrolling is that the arrows are already used for various other shortcuts. There are something like five other ways to scroll already, so I'd rather conserve the arrow keys for other things.

Can you post your full swap solution? That looks like an oversight on my part (and well found, if so!)

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

PleasingFungus posted:

That's very odd. They aren't marked as claimed internally, and I get a 'log in to claim' screen when I look at the page without being logged in...

Well, I've revoked and replaced those keys, so let me if the new ones work.

That seems to have worked, thanks! Claimed key 11.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PleasingFungus posted:

The problem with arrow key scrolling is that the arrows are already used for various other shortcuts. There are something like five other ways to scroll already, so I'd rather conserve the arrow keys for other things.

Can you post your full swap solution? That looks like an oversight on my part (and well found, if so!)
Sent you an email with the solution. You probably overlooked it because it's kind of dumb trick I used, but it's one that makes sense in the context of that puzzle.
No problem about the arrow keys, it's not a big deal, I just keep hitting them to scroll.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Grabbed Key 12. I'll write up my thoughts and any problems I have.

~5 hours later:
Good game. I found the difficulty slope significantly more reasonable than TIS or Shenzhen, which is usually my issue with these kind of games. Finished "Stages" on board 3 before deciding to stop for the night, with roughly half of what's completed ideal. "Alternator" and "Multiply" are still incomplete. Alternator seems like I just need to sleep on it, it feels like it should be easier than the (not quite) solutions I am coming up with. I was worried that once mTicks got introduced I was going to dead end, but it didn't cause as many problems as I thought it would.

Running the Mac version, didn't encounter any bugs thus far.

Soundtrack fits right in with Shenzhen, Uplink, and the like. It feels like a Zachtronics game, which is intended as a HUGE compliment.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sent you an email with the solution. You probably overlooked it because it's kind of dumb trick I used, but it's one that makes sense in the context of that puzzle.
No problem about the arrow keys, it's not a big deal, I just keep hitting them to scroll.

Gotcha! Yeah, I mean, I could be wrong about the arrow keys - you're not the only one who's tried to use them. I'll note it down and keep thinking about it!

Daedalus1134 posted:

Grabbed Key 12. I'll write up my thoughts and any problems I have.

~5 hours later:
Good game. I found the difficulty slope significantly more reasonable than TIS or Shenzhen, which is usually my issue with these kind of games. Finished "Stages" on board 3 before deciding to stop for the night, with roughly half of what's completed ideal. "Alternator" and "Multiply" are still incomplete. Alternator seems like I just need to sleep on it, it feels like it should be easier than the (not quite) solutions I am coming up with. I was worried that once mTicks got introduced I was going to dead end, but it didn't cause as many problems as I thought it would.

Running the Mac version, didn't encounter any bugs thus far.

Soundtrack fits right in with Shenzhen, Uplink, and the like. It feels like a Zachtronics game, which is intended as a HUGE compliment.

Excellent! I'll let the musician know about that last - he'll appreciate it. :)

• Locked thread