Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Got stuck on Combiner for a moment so I went back and had another look at Multiply, the only Section 2 puzzle I moved on from without finishing. Got it completed with 1 module more than the listed ideal. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

NickPancakes posted:

I'm really enjoying it so far. Got stuck on Combiner for a moment so I went back and had another look at Multiply, the only Section 2 puzzle I moved on from without finishing. Got it completed with 1 module more than the listed ideal. :)

Nice! I'm probably going to add achievements for more of the side levels at some point, Multiply among them - it's enough of an obvious challenge that it'd be good to acknowledge.

News:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I've been doing other project lately, but I have made sure to mess around with the new versions when they popped up in Steam. I seriously find it hard to believe it comes out in only a few days! I also got my brother who's into electronics to tell me "There's no such thing as regfiles. You must be talking about an OS's registry." And they say video games don't teach you anything!

Speaking of updates, were there any historical figures or electronic concepts you decided against putting in due to some reason or another?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I've been doing other project lately, but I have made sure to mess around with the new versions when they popped up in Steam. I seriously find it hard to believe it comes out in only a few days! I also got my brother who's into electronics to tell me "There's no such thing as regfiles. You must be talking about an OS's registry." And they say video games don't teach you anything!

Speaking of updates, were there any historical figures or electronic concepts you decided against putting in due to some reason or another?

Heh, excellent.

There's no particular historical figures who I can think of - anyone who I was interested in I mixed in somehow, though it might've just been a personality trait or quirk for one of the characters.

I was pickier about electronic concepts. An early decision was to exclude binary/two's complement logic from the game - I had plenty of interesting concepts without them, and I was personally sick of games that taught binary. Some of the implementation details of real processors are abstracted away as a result of this - for example, the way that instructions are packed into a single word of memory, or how real input/output selectors (multiplexers) select on individual bits. I don't think it's any great loss.

Some other ideas would have been interesting, but didn't fit in for scale reasons. Branch prediction would be the logical next concept to introduce after the game's current ending, but would require extremely large programs - difficult to read and annoying long to run through. The memory hierarchy and caching would also be interesting, but would again slow testing down enormously.

Power consumption and heat dissipation are the big concerns of modern processor design, but Silicon Zeroes doesn't cover them at all. Probably they would involve rearranging the modules to avoid dumping too much heat in one place while still trying to not use up too much space overall, maybe also positioning heat sinks...? I worry that adding those kinds of geometric/positioning incentives would make the game less fun by making 'optimized' machines completely visually incomprehensible, but it's possible that a mechanic like this could show up in some kind of expansion or sequel, if the game does well enough to earn one.

Likewise, interrupts would be a fun twist to the mechanics, but would require quite a lot of UI work to fit in. Someday, perhaps!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Speaking of memory and cacheing, does that mean no
? :(

e: You really can't say that this:

wouldn't be fun to do

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Speaking of memory and cacheing, does that mean no
? :(

e: You really can't say that this:

wouldn't be fun to do

It would be fun, in principle! Like I said, though, the trouble is the timescales: cache misses are going to mean order-of-magnitude slowdowns, which means an order-of-magnitude increase in sim runtime.

Also, responding to that diagram with "it would be fun" is probably the second-nerdiest thing I've ever done, right after designing this entire game.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I haven't played the game, but what about pausing the machine/ff-ing to the point when the cache would fill? I don't know how feasible this would be or if it'd even fit in with the game as is, but I'm thinking about it as a bonus condition-- you can try and use the cache to 'speed up' your answer, but watch out for the misses and collisions! It could drastically hurt your score, even if it worked out in the end or something. Hell, just implement an entire drat mips machine lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't played the game, but what about pausing the machine/ff-ing to the point when the cache would fill? I don't know how feasible this would be or if it'd even fit in with the game as is, but I'm thinking about it as a bonus condition-- you can try and use the cache to 'speed up' your answer, but watch out for the misses and collisions! It could drastically hurt your score, even if it worked out in the end or something. Hell, just implement an entire drat mips machine lol

I agree, pausing/fast-forwarding is what you'd have to do! The problem is, doing that is nontrivial.

It'll be a lot easier to have this discussion once you've actually played the game - let's shelve it for, uh, the next 25 hours or so :)

Also, I just realized I didn't link to the talk I gave on Wednesday, so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82iThhtj9c

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome post, although my eyes glazed over once I got to the branch prediction link, lol. That said, I did just figure out how two's complement works so net win!

Oh, I don't know if this is considered a "bug" per se, but I did notice if you copy the Op Select puzzle into the Palette and paste it into Arith CPU puzzle it uses the two-input instead of the three-input you use on that puzzle. Not that it matters because it can't match against instructions that aren't used!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

Awesome post, although my eyes glazed over once I got to the branch prediction link, lol. That said, I did just figure out how two's complement works so net win!

Oh, I don't know if this is considered a "bug" per se, but I did notice if you copy the Op Select puzzle into the Palette and paste it into Arith CPU puzzle it uses the two-input instead of the three-input you use on that puzzle. Not that it matters because it can't match against instructions that aren't used!

Haha, yeah, that's Wikipedia technical writing for you. There are people who can make dense, technical topics accessible... but most of them aren't writing for wikipedia!

The op selector thing is more the absence of a feature than anything. Op Selectors only 'upgrade' themselves in puzzles that add opcodes to the ones they're already using; puzzles that just have different opcodes they don't touch, since swapping out what ports do what would be do weird and unexpected things to their connections to other modules. I have a note to rethink this behavior at some point (you're not the first person it's bothered), but it's fiddly and small, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Oh yeah. Also, It's out!

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Just beat Arith CPU, what do I win?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

Just beat Arith CPU, what do I win?

The greatest prize of all: more puzzles!

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

(Spoilers for Multiply) trying to do everything with LUTs in TIS-100 has broken me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

This... is art.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize this was a PF game. Also, getting a quote from Zach of Zachtronics fame is so...right.

I look forward to getting my rear end kicked by yet another game, but I'll have a good time doing it!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Speaking of that:

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/909840355784237056

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Threes is making my head hurt. I'm guessing this was your intent :v:

The concept introduced in board 3 was a nice little twist, but it does kind of feel like I'm still doing setup for the "real" puzzles to come. How many boards are there in total?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I didn't realize this was a PF game. Also, getting a quote from Zach of Zachtronics fame is so...right.

I look forward to getting my rear end kicked by yet another game, but I'll have a good time doing it!

:)

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Threes is making my head hurt. I'm guessing this was your intent :v:

The concept introduced in board 3 was a nice little twist, but it does kind of feel like I'm still doing setup for the "real" puzzles to come. How many boards are there in total?

There are five boards total, counting Asides. The last one is by far the hardest, as you might expect.

Threes is a puzzle that's very easy for some people and very hard for most. One of those puzzles where something just has to 'click' for you to get it!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Fuuuuuuuuck I just figured out the solution for Threes and now I have to sit at work and hopefully remember it for six more hours until I can get home and actually test it.

On the upside, the fact that I'm sitting at work thinking about Silicon Zeroes puzzles means that you've got a great game on your hands :)

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010
very cool game, enjoying it a lot. threes and multiply are my favorite puzzles so far - i'm pretty stumped on how to get threes down to 8 modules from 10 and i don't even want to talk about my solution to multiply. one thing i found odd was that my solution for the final puzzle on board 3 is identical to my solution for the final puzzle on board 2, just with one extra part (a register taking the outputs of the instruction decoder before processing it). were they intended to be so similar? makes me feel like i missed something.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Saphire_flames posted:

very cool game, enjoying it a lot. threes and multiply are my favorite puzzles so far - i'm pretty stumped on how to get threes down to 8 modules from 10 and i don't even want to talk about my solution to multiply. one thing i found odd was that my solution for the final puzzle on board 3 is identical to my solution for the final puzzle on board 2, just with one extra part (a register taking the outputs of the instruction decoder before processing it). were they intended to be so similar? makes me feel like i missed something.

Haven't solved it myself, but I think the main concept the puzzle is meant to get across is pipelining: by having each stage of execution separated by latches, the clock speed increases, since the stages operate concurrently instead of waiting for the whole CPU to stabilize before the next instruction.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I can't believe the two inputs of the subtractor are called the "minuend" and the "subtrahend."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

nrook posted:

I can't believe the two inputs of the subtractor are called the "minuend" and the "subtrahend."

It's very strange to me that I've gotten exactly no complaints about that. Aside from you, and I know you in real life, so you don't count.

Did you notice the names of the inputs to the Adder?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
well you have dividend--- it makes sense!

(still haven't gotten around to getting the game, but at my next paycheck ill pick it up)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just wanna say I love this game. Been a big fan of all these engineering games since the beginning, and out of all of them this one has by far the best campaign progression I've seen, the iteration of small concepts that eventually comprise a larger system and the introduction and then recontextualization of concepts like briefly exploring the parallel architecture to demonstrate address collision before it needs to be used in the more complex pipelined cpu, and the couple of levels where the manual clock timing mechanic is introduced and then making it automatic once the player has proven they understand how that poo poo works, its all kinda brilliant. Silicon Zeroes is secretly the best educational game of 2017, educational in a way these kind of games usually aren't, and maybe more coherently presented than most textbooks on the subject.

I usually like a bit more room for creative solutions in these games than I feel like SZ offers, I tended to go back and redo things in different ways in for instance Shenzen and Manufactoria. 61/68 deep in this game and not feeling that urge here, most of them are at or below ideal anyway. I'm not sure that's much of a criticism though, because I'm pretty sure more flexibility would hurt the educational arc. I'll pretty happily put this game away with 1/5th the time clocked as on Shenzen feeling positively about the experience.

Anyway, dang, nice work on this one, good game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I just wanna say I love this game. Been a big fan of all these engineering games since the beginning, and out of all of them this one has by far the best campaign progression I've seen, the iteration of small concepts that eventually comprise a larger system and the introduction and then recontextualization of concepts like briefly exploring the parallel architecture to demonstrate address collision before it needs to be used in the more complex pipelined cpu, and the couple of levels where the manual clock timing mechanic is introduced and then making it automatic once the player has proven they understand how that poo poo works, its all kinda brilliant. Silicon Zeroes is secretly the best educational game of 2017, educational in a way these kind of games usually aren't, and maybe more coherently presented than most textbooks on the subject.

I usually like a bit more room for creative solutions in these games than I feel like SZ offers, I tended to go back and redo things in different ways in for instance Shenzen and Manufactoria. 61/68 deep in this game and not feeling that urge here, most of them are at or below ideal anyway. I'm not sure that's much of a criticism though, because I'm pretty sure more flexibility would hurt the educational arc. I'll pretty happily put this game away with 1/5th the time clocked as on Shenzen feeling positively about the experience.

Anyway, dang, nice work on this one, good game.

Thank you! The way you wrote it in that first paragraph perfectly sums up what I was hoping to achieve with the game - I'm really glad that it came across in play!

Agreed that most of the puzzles don't have as much room for wiggling as other genre entries. Still, there are people doing some very clever stuff with some of the puzzles - I'm going to ship an update with Shenzhen-style leaderboards in a few days, and hopefully that'll encourage some people to go back and compete a bit more!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I must be missing something extremely obvious, but I'm not sure how Parallels is possible without a Register. I want to pass - to my Writers in the first clock period while my other components are pulling up instructions, but there aren't any modules available that can output or store it for just one period. Am I being really dumb?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
do you have flip-flops?

e: I've also tried the demo, and while I'm slightly disappointed that its mostly tutorial and nothing that requires more than a minutes thought, It promises something amazing. What's the highest difficulty rating (assuming thats what the stars are?)

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 23, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

do you have flip-flops?
Don't think those are available yet. The full list of modules available is Number, Adder, Latch, Writer, and I-Dec. There's also two locked Readers in the puzzle.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
sorry, flip flop is another name for a latch

e: just to clarify, what is it you are trying to store? Does '-' mean subtraction?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

sorry, flip flop is another name for a latch

e: just to clarify, what is it you are trying to store? Does '-' mean subtraction?
It's the game's equivalent for null. I want to pass it to my Writers so they don't do anything during the first clock period before the instructions get read in.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I must be missing something extremely obvious, but I'm not sure how Parallels is possible without a Register. I want to pass - to my Writers in the first clock period while my other components are pulling up instructions, but there aren't any modules available that can output or store it for just one period. Am I being really dumb?

The absence of a register is extremely intentional, to prevent you from doing exactly what you're trying to do.

For what you can do: think about the name of the level and the way that the tick limit is phrased.

e: I've also tried the demo, and while I'm slightly disappointed that its mostly tutorial and nothing that requires more than a minutes thought, It promises something amazing. What's the highest difficulty rating (assuming thats what the stars are?)

Four stars. There's some fun ones waiting for you!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

The absence of a register is extremely intentional, to prevent you from doing exactly what you're trying to do.

For what you can do: think about the name of the level and the way that the tick limit is phrased.
Turns out I was actually overthinking this. :downs: I picked up on needing to do two instructions simultaneously as soon as I read the level name. I was just storing both of the instruction destinations in Latches to try to lower the clock period, which isn't actually necessary to beat the limit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh, the null. Is the null supposed to represent a hi-z-state?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Oh, the null. Is the null supposed to represent a hi-z-state?

I'm going to give that a tentative 'yes', assuming that I read the wikipedia page correctly. It's equivalent to not having the port wired to anything.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I picked up this game and have played it so far much like I played TIS-100 and Shenzhen - it's a ton of fun and then suddenly, I am completely stuck!

This game is super-cool, though it's made me realize to what extent the whole timing/delay thing messes with my head.

EDIT: my brain just kind of completely shuts off when I get to the third board. Something about managing clock ticks and timings to hold onto information between objects is really confusing to me... "Swap" is the first puzzle that just has me totally stymied. I understand that I only get one Reader, so I need to build a counter-type thing to give it 0 for a while and then 1 for a while, but I keep ending up with it returning the output from memory for such a short amount of time that the inputs on the next objects don't get a chance to stabilize.

DOUBLE EDIT: Once you get to board 3, it seems like you just plain can't have a clock speed lower than 13 while there's a Writer on the board because the input values initialize to "?" instead of "-". Am I understanding that correctly?

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 25, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
From what i played in the demo, the '?' is a race condition where an input is an impossibility, such as depending on an output further along in the circuit.

Are there any shift registers in this?

badegakk
Feb 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I bought your game. It's great. Thanks! Also cool to see new things being added quickly, like the online and friend list score comparisons that just showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I picked up this game and have played it so far much like I played TIS-100 and Shenzhen - it's a ton of fun and then suddenly, I am completely stuck!

This game is super-cool, though it's made me realize to what extent the whole timing/delay thing messes with my head.

EDIT: my brain just kind of completely shuts off when I get to the third board. Something about managing clock ticks and timings to hold onto information between objects is really confusing to me... "Swap" is the first puzzle that just has me totally stymied. I understand that I only get one Reader, so I need to build a counter-type thing to give it 0 for a while and then 1 for a while, but I keep ending up with it returning the output from memory for such a short amount of time that the inputs on the next objects don't get a chance to stabilize.

DOUBLE EDIT: Once you get to board 3, it seems like you just plain can't have a clock speed lower than 13 while there's a Writer on the board because the input values initialize to "?" instead of "-". Am I understanding that correctly?
One thing to keep in mind is that there's zero downside to increasing the clock period unless you go over a puzzle time limit, so if you think you need more mTicks, just add more mTicks. You're completely correct about there being little point in having a clock period under 13 in basically any puzzle where you can change it.

• Locked thread