Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

This seems more like “Florida Style”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Detroit style pizza is baked in steel pans, originally made by a company that made oil pans for the Big 3.

There is a new place near me making it, and before I tried it, I would have told you that I didn't like thick pizza at all.
Good poo poo.

tracecomplete posted:

how fortunate that all of you do not border rhode island

I feel your pain, but Mass South Shore Bar Pizza is worse.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

tracecomplete posted:

how fortunate that all of you do not border rhode island

I had to look this up and what the hell is wrong with people? Thin rectangles of bread with tomato sauce on and nothing else? It's like a cold, small, sad version of classic school lunch pizza - as crap as that was, at least it was hot and had cheese on!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Isn't that just Memphis style?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Animal-Mother posted:

Isn't that just Memphis style?
I'm really gonna need you to clarify which post you're responding to.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
No.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Squashy Nipples posted:

I feel your pain, but Mass South Shore Bar Pizza is worse.

pistols at dawn.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

everwake posted:

I'm pretty sure "Cleveland-style" pizza is one restaurant using provolone for their cheese and then calling it "Cleveland-style" for the marketing.

I lived in Columbus for 12 years and have never heard of a Columbus-style pizza. I guess that kind of looks like what Donatos serves.

I lived there for 7 years (granted, almost 15 years ago) and all the independent pizzerias made pizza that way -- hound dogs ( non smoking Joe's), the pizza place by studio 35, portofinos, Ohio State pizza, a bunch I forget. Donatos is originally from Gahanna, OH; they're the style that everyone else used to do.

St Louis has the same style of pizza -- super thin crust, square cut.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Let me tell you about Maryland style pizza

It's delicious and sometimes you can get crab on it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dallas style is a half cooked deep-dish that comes with a techbro who won't shut the gently caress up about cryptocurrency and Internet Of Things.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dallas style is a half cooked deep-dish that comes with a techbro who won't shut the gently caress up about cryptocurrency and Internet Of Things.

This is really just a ripoff of Austin style, which is the same thing but costs 40% more.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Detroit style pizza is baked in steel pans, originally made by a company that made oil pans for the Big 3.

There is a new place near me making it, and before I tried it, I would have told you that I didn't like thick pizza at all.
Good poo poo.
The main parts that make it is the type and amount of cheese used, and the edged pan so that the crust sort of fries in the cheese oil drippings as it absorbs them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh yeah, this place is named after the crispy edge.

One of my employees wasn't wearing her hat, so I asked her where it was.

So she hits me with: "Well, where is your ARM HAIR hat?"
I have to admit, she's got a point.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Okay people, just a reminder:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/busi...eges/index.html

e: I'm guessing there was pine nuts in the pesto or whatever and nobody knew because it's prepped in the morning and nobody working had ever touched it or looked at the allergen sheet, if such a thing even exists

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 27, 2024

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Wow, that's really sad. What are you reminding us about, though?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's always good to keep allergen cross-contamination in mind, I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

it's me, I pine nutted the pesto. I big green'd the doctor. I am beheaded

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Yikes. I guess that answers the "are pine nuts safe for LZR?" question. I know that allergies are all up to the person's body but this is a good reason for me to continue avoiding piñon. Maybe one day food allergies will be a solved problem and I can try the many things that sound delicious but are currently forbidden to me.

A guy can dream, right?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
There is a new drug for food allergies, but I read the drug companies were charging several thousand a month for it, and it's not likely to be covered on most plans.

I am waiting for a cure for celiac, when I will go to Asia and eat street food until I am spherical.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I miss Ohio-style pizza, which is what I grew up with and therefore right.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Coasterphreak posted:

Okay people, just a reminder:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/26/busi...eges/index.html

e: I'm guessing there was pine nuts in the pesto or whatever and nobody knew because it's prepped in the morning and nobody working had ever touched it or looked at the allergen sheet, if such a thing even exists

I cooked at Disney for 6 years. Disney is usually extremely cautious about their menus and allergens, even their 3rd party vendors like Raglan Road in this case. Typically, allergens are communicated to the server, then escalated to a chef who handles the order (talks to guest, preps plates, and places the flags mentioned in the article).

quote:

She ordered a vegan fritter, scallops, onion rings and a vegan shepherd’s pie

quote:

“anaphylaxis due to elevated levels of dairy and nut in her system,”

It sounds like they didn't use the flags because she ordered 3 vegan options that don't include nuts anyway and were already dairy free. It's hard to say if they mixed up the shepard's pie or something, but I don't know if she would have noticed she was eating meat or the small amount of dairy in the mash would have set her off.

Typically, Disney doesn't let any kind of nut allergens near fryers anyway to avoid accidental cross contamination. Most of the quick service locations avoided nuts on their menu entirely. And it seems odd that there aren't even nuts on their menu? Just the salads have some almonds. And Ragland Road does not update their menu very often.

The onion rings and the scallops both come with a creamy dipping sauce, but I would think that's mayo based.

So overall, I would say this doesn't add up, especially not to "elevated levels of dairy and nut", even if there was a mistake. I'm also not aware of anaphylaxis taking so long to trigger so violently, but I'm no doctor.

The low dollar amount on the lawsuit seems... low if their facts were all true.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Disargeria posted:

The low dollar amount on the lawsuit seems... low if their facts were all true.

I believe the “in excess of” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, and it likely relates to the wording of the statute or whatever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is it OK if I like Chicago deep dish and NYC style thin slices or must I choose?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
As long as the sauce doesn’t come out of a loving can or squeeze pouch, who cares?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've actually heard this term used unironically a few times, so I tried to look up what exactly it is and found this quote in a Dallas Observer article:

"We were curious as to what was considered “Dallas pizza,” and learned that this is what they call the type of pizza that was served at the late Picasso’s: basically, your standard Neapolitan-style pizza that offers a butter crust option. This, then, was the style we omitted, settling on Chicago, Detroit, “Tavern,” and New York."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Butter crust? What, like shortbread?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arkhamina posted:

There is a new drug for food allergies, but I read the drug companies were charging several thousand a month for it, and it's not likely to be covered on most plans.

We're really proud of that FDA approval, but R&D is expensive so it won't be widely prescribed until the patent expires. However, if you can benefit from it, get it prescribed and research your options.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My one anaphylaxis food is easy to spot and not commonly mixed with things where you can't spot it (melons, weirdly enough). Curse of all fruit salad, buffet spreads, but such is life.

That said, if there was a drug that actually cures celiac, they would likely get to punch my wallet hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I have an aunt with celiacs and it makes getting together at a restaurant. We found a gluten free restaurant that does a full brunch on weekends that's good. Bunch of different ciders on tap as well.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arkhamina posted:

My one anaphylaxis food is easy to spot and not commonly mixed with things where you can't spot it (melons, weirdly enough). Curse of all fruit salad, buffet spreads, but such is life.

That said, if there was a drug that actually cures celiac, they would likely get to punch my wallet hard.

Anaphylaxis food is weird, I’ve known a couple people with allium allergies that drop in anywhere from 90 seconds to 90 minutes because it depends on whether it hits the mucous membranes or digestive tract, and it is different based on the person and the method of consumption.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Jesus Christ allergic to onions and garlic. Every food allergy I learn about is another tragedy. Like the person I know who can't have corn.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

YggiDee posted:

Jesus Christ allergic to onions and garlic. Every food allergy I learn about is another tragedy. Like the person I know who can't have corn.

Does corn syrup set them off? Because that would basically mean never eating out in America.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

YggiDee posted:

I'm good friends with someone who, among other allergies, is allergic to xantham gum. That rules out a lot of storebought sauces (and packaged foods in general).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
(disclaimer, this isn't someone I know personally, I just follow her blog)

Corn Syrup is a problem. but the bigger problem is corn flour, corn starch, eco-friendly corn 'plastic', corn-derived xantham gum... between that and the wheat and sesame allergies, she has to home cook nearly everything and is extremely cranky about it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

YggiDee posted:

Don’t forget shallots!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
We get one of those every couple months. I'm simultaneously empathetic because that sucks for them and also annoyed because what the gently caress am I supposed to do with that.

Here is some lettuce that may or may not be contaminated.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Arkhamina posted:

How have I known you for 15 years and not known this melon thing? Good thing I never serve melons in anything I suppose.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Had someone claim to be allergic to onions (very very rare) but was fine with onions cooked in things or onion powder. Just ask for your salad with no raw onions, you absolute bag of dicks.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

Had someone claim to be allergic to onions (very very rare) but was fine with onions cooked in things or onion powder. Just ask for your salad with no raw onions, you absolute bag of dicks.

I did an entire special menu for this lady who called in a week before a group she was with was coming in for a private christmas dinner. This was so many years ago I forget if she said the word celiac's or not, but was definitely NO gluten/wheat, NO dairy of any kind. of course the poo poo that the person booking the event picked for their menu was full of both. So I go and make special poo poo, she's happy, she's loving life. Until I see the special dessert (sixth course at this point) sitting in the pass, and freak out on the server.

"Oh no, she's sharing her friend's white chocolate mousse tart, she said she can have a little bit of flour and dairy."

almost did a murder, my friends

almost a murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's one of my more callous jokes but if you're that allergic to something that ubiquitous, someone upstairs didn't want you to be around too long.

I'm probably just bitter though, that the summer camp I worked at for years never let me have Oh Henry bars or Reese's peanut butter cups.

The best service industry one is when you get a patron who claims to be allergic to salt. You know, sodium, the thing we need for our neurons to fire properly.