Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My last place tried to give me a "working interview" for dishwashing. I am not washing dishes for free, unless none of those dishes are from customers, and I personally watch you open up a can of beans and make a mess out of some plates just so you can see how I wash em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JawKnee posted:

does she know? You should tell her. I would want to know.

I'm not sure "You're fired, enjoy your shift." goes over that well. It's more "You're fired, enjoy... Hey wait, where are you going? You've got work to do!"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Not disagreeing with that, cause yeah. I'm just saying telling somebody they're fired at the start of a shift is just going to lead to having to do all their work too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

On a related note I'm on vacation in Toronto for the next 5 days. Tell me cool poo poo to do/eat/drink.

http://www.kinka.com

Unfortunately I don't know if it's actually good, because my girlfriend of the time read the menu outside and said "I will not eat anything on that menu."

But I do know that the lineup was out the door, and a chef came out wearing a wife beater and holding a cleaver yelling "I've got a table for two! Table for two! Anybody!?" And wandered back inside. Looked pretty amazing. That was a sign from god, but my ex just wouldn't have it :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mindphlux posted:

list of bullets in life you can certifiably say you have dodged

• that one

Maybe. But I dunno, the line up was super long and the guy with the cleaver was hilarious. I will never know, and that is the biggest travesty of all.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if your gf wouldn't eat takoyaki then it wasn't meant to be

Basically. One of the big reasons why we couldn't be. I've heard that my ex once suggested Costco for dinner while in Toronto. :wtc:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like the nice touch about the business finally getting some press and turning a small profit, so welp time to go on vacation!

I was expecting something like him just loving off, and taking the wife and kids somewhere for a week or two. What actually happened is goddamn crazy.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lots of goons in this thread in the same Ontario city.

As for the minimum wage increase, I'd imagine it's gonna play out with layoffs, and a lot of pissed off minimum wage worker having to work twice as hard with the bosses going "Not my fault." :shrug:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I make no claims about being correct in my imaginations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My niece works at Dairy Queen, hours have been super slashed. She's also not allowed to call in sick, and now has to find her own replacement in case of illness. :wtc:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Naelyan posted:

If she's in Ontario, that's now straight up illegal under the new laws. New legislation mandates more allowable sick days per employee and tighter restrictions on when a business is allowed to deny it.

I'll let her know, but odds are it won't do anything. She's young, and definitely not down with starting anything with her boss. Not that I am any better. I am well aware that doing training at home (as told to by my boss) is still work training and I should get paid for it. But I still did some of my modules at home because it'll just lead to getting fired. Or getting to keep my job, but wishing I was fired.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Labor: if you want me to work harder, pay me more money!

Capital: if you want to get paid more money, work harder!

Once you work harder Capital goes "Why would I pay you more?"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

"The minimum wage, with all due respect, is a 1938 income support system for a workforce that worked in manufacturing and agriculture," said Cicely Simpson, executive vice president for public affairs at the National Restaurant Association, at a panel discussion last month. "In our workforce, we have people who drive an Uber during the day and work in restaurants at night. They have no desire to spend their entire career in an entire industry."

What the gently caress. I am sure people love working 3 jobs to afford a poo poo roach apartment.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

The other dishwashers(not all of them) where I'm at also get mad at people for bringing them dishes. It boggles my mind because dude that is your job. If they didn't bring you the dishes you'd have to go get them yourself. I thank people when they bring stuff to me because it legitimately makes my life easier.

Are they getting mad at people bringing them dishes, or stacking them with all the skills of a toddler?

I really hate it when servers put plates of the same size/shape beside each other, then build rickety towers of misshaped dishes I have to slowly disassemble else I drop everything on the floor.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What the hell are "alternatives to be paid"?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just the general "How is everything?" while I am stuffing my face full of food. Honestly, I would rather put up my hand if I want a waiters attention. Leave me alone, I'm eating :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think you have to be crazy to work anywhere in a kitchen outside of the dishpit. I understand you'll never make more than minimum wage back there, but you know what. It's simple. Can't burn anything, don't have to worry about if there's 20 chits on the board, or that some ingredient is running low. Just need to know how many of each dish can pile up before it's a problem.

What I don't understand is why the industry standard dishwasher doesn't was the dishes. Just throws them through the sanitizer and hopes they'll come out clean. I can't count the number of times I've pulled a "clean" pot off the shelf only to find a disgusting ring of soup scum from the day before on the inside of the pot.

Once my boss asked me what I thought of the new dishwasher, and I said "Find somebody else." when he asked why, I showed him a 6 plates with various food bits stuck to them in the recently cleaned area. He just shrugged his shoulders and wandered away.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It’s one part of why so many people in the service industry smoke. Your addiction magically entitles you to an extra 30-60 min a shift (depending how lovely you are) of paid break time while the rest of the restaurant picks up your slack.

In the flip side I can't stand it when non smokers just work for 8 hours straight. Take your breaks.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah alcoholics can be fun people to hang around. Drunks just aren't any fun to be around.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Because we got cooks and young people here, I figured Y'all enjoy this article.
https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1029095080370397184
My good boy in IT eats mayo, my loving whore of a daughter doesn't

oh wait there's more.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Out of all the illegal poo poo the industry does all the time, I don't think including BoH in the tipping pool would be anywhere near the top 10 of terrible things.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If you need a straw, bring a straw. Also what straw is safe at high temp? I've never seen an insulated straw. I'm fairly sure every kid goes "I want a straw for my hot chocolate!" and burns their lips at least once.

I guess restaurants really hate people with allergies because they're not expected to have epipens ready for those who need them.

Edit: An insulated straw sounds like a terrible idea. You wouldn't get the warning of a burnt lip before your mouth was a bigass blister.

The General fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 29, 2018

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Will admit I've never used a metal straw but I assume it would heat up just as nice as anything else.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

You're probably right, I'll just start sending them home after the second time I have to say something.

You have the authority to send people home and you're spiking peoples drinks? I hope you get fired.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If somebody pours salt in my drink and I spit it allover the floor, I am not going to be the one to clean it up.

Nobody learns anything from somebody randomly putting poo poo in their drink aside from that somebody they work with is an rear end in a top hat.

Tell them "This isn't where this goes. Next time I'm going to have to send you home/write you up." And when they do it again, follow through with it. I don't believe out idioting your idiot subordinates accomplishes anything except having an entire kitchen of idiots.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

iospace posted:

Man, if there were a way for workers to form a union against the management.

"Hey guys working here sucks. Let's form a union."
"Lol. gently caress off."

That is how that conversation goes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

not everyone wants to listen to Tejano at 6am, and not everyone loves speed metal as much as I do,

When I doing dishwashing I basically had free reign over the music (surprised I didn't get fired for some of the stuff I played), but I think it's very important to switch up the genre of music every hour or so. Have an hour of metal, followed by Scatman John then some Eminem, and ect... Because I agreee not everybody is going to want endless hours of the same poo poo. So I played a wide range of poo poo and rarely did anybody complain about what I was listening to because they knew it would change to something else.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd play poo poo like Lonely Island, Lords of Acid, Steel Panther and it turns out the customer bathrooms could hear everything. :monocle:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Managers during closing are my least favourite part.

Yes, I could either do a poo poo job, or work so hard I'll take a year off my life to get out 15minutes earlier. But I'm not being payed enough to kill myself for you, and this needs to be done properly. I am sure getting home at 12:45 instead of 1:00 is just going to ruin your life.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I was just saying what I hated most about closing. I always laugh at those people who are crying about being poor, but are the first to have their hands up when it's time to cut somebody.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That PSA is super effective. It's burned into my brain, and it's all I can think of when people gently caress around in the kitchen.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

We're crazy, that's what.

Although I enjoy the looks on my coworkers' faces when I get a minor cut and grab the bottle of superglue off my desk. :getin:

It's just a minor cuts guys, hand me the superglue.
*Bleeds allover the floor.*
gently caress it, I'm going for a smoke too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Republicans posted:

Anyone got any tips for cleaning hood filters shaped like this:

Cleaning in-between the slats is a giant pain in the rear end. They're too big to fit in our fryers so I can't just boil them clean which is how I've done it most places I've worked. Is there some sort of spray-on degreaser anyone's familiar with that's super effective on caked-on rubbery grease?

Send them through the dishwasher twice (flipping once), spray and scrub the gently caress out of them with steel wool. Send through the dish washer again. You can make them shine. If you have a way to soak them before hand, do it. Also never ask the dishwasher to do it 30min before the dinner rush.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Red Ryder posted:

The other day I was sliding past him and said "BEHIND Ya" and he stopped and said "sorry I didn't know you were behind me, you know you're only supposed to say, Behind?" and asked if I was familiar with kitchen lingo.
The gently caress is this guy's problem?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

Never expect a company to ever have any loyalty to you.

It's hard to care about an employee who says "I am actively looking to leave." Keep that stuff to yourself until you've accepted an offer. Now if you don't get one your bosses won't believe you're not ready to jump ship at a moment's notice.

Unless it was some power play to get a raise, but I dunno if that game is worth playing either.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Or people get pissed at you because they genuinely would much rather work through their meal breaks

gently caress those people. Setting unrealistic expectations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

pentyne posted:

This article has been making the rounds in other threads it seems appropiate.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Just from following this thread, it really seems like this person made the worst possible choice every single step of the way.

From his entire ambition of wanting to be like Marco Pierre White is in YouTube clips of him drinking cider and being chummy with customers he ended up wasting all his money, fracturing his family, owing debt to several personal friends, and walking away in tatters from an operation that once run competently was a thriving business.

I think my favourite part is at the start when he discovered that $60,000 isn't enough money to even consider starting a restaurant and just doubles down.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This has reminded me a coworker I had who got super seriously pissed off that the service he got after his shift was subpar. Yelling at a manager mad. If you want good service during busy times, go somewhere else. None of your co-workers want to deal with your poo poo. You know how busy it gets, and priority isn't on you. IMHO you'll be lucky if you don't have to go get your food yourself once it's made.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dunno the climate there, but I would just play music. What are they gonna do? Fire you*?

*Like I said, I don't know the climate. Don't take my advice unless you're already past the giving two fucks stage.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Speaking of stuff in pockets once I accidentally sprayed water allover my face by bad angles while dishwashing. After the customary "gently caress!" one of the line up and said "Yeah, well my pockets are full of gravy." I think he dropped the gravy bin and did it himself but lol.

As for games in the kitchen just low key loving around. "Do you think I wash dishes while on mushroom? No? Guess we'll find out in an hour."

And another time I asked the kitchen manager on duty if I could play the knife game where you stab between your fingers. After being told no and to put the knife down, I swapped it for a spoon when their back was turned. The look on her face when she thought I was doing it with a knife was priceless.

And playing weird/bad/offensive music just to see what I could get away with. Turns out basically anything. I found out much later the customer bathrooms could hear everything I played with perfect clarity :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I also supplies the speakers and my only rule was don't play the same poo poo for multiple hours. Switch up the genres. I don't want to listen to rap for 8 hours and you probably don't want to listen to eurodance for 8 hours.