Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

There are HEB locations in Mexico actually, and afaik HEB owns Central Market outright. I don't know of any plans to expand beyond TX within the US though.

You’re right, I forgot about the international stores. So yeah any Central Market in TX is HEB, whatever Central Market is in Seattle will be different but hopefully still great.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A dog and his man posted:

Well my like 12-13 year gig finally game to end today (last week)..... I’m sad. Really like all my Co-Workers, Customers, and how easy the job was....

It was my fault I did my threes strikes your out dumb poo poo. Just sucks.

Also they left with we’re not letting you go but we, just want you to get better.

How can you see if I’m getting better, when you don’t schedule me?!?!?! (Yes, I’m an alcoholic)

I can’t say I’m surprised . Maybe you should try getting your drinking under control and find another job.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Maestro posted:

If you told me it took you 4 hrs to do the servsafe I would think long and hard about starting a remedial program in my kitchen.

The problem being it's *all* auto play video. That I couldn't skip easily. Like the course thing said it was supposed to take 6 hours. I know back when I originally got my cert, in school. It took either a day or two of class time to cover the whole boring thing, then the exam itself.

The actual exam took me like, 20min. The long part was the whole rest of the video thing. If I'd kept up, I could have been done in 30min probably. But mine had long lapsed so I had to go through the whole thing again.

e - Hah, Ohio is voluntary for having it (for food handlers at least, management needs to.) But they're just having us do it because of this whole other thing in the hospital that had nothing to do with us. But resulted in a thorough inspection. I won't go into *to* much detail just to avoid making connections to easy. But a thing happened, so they're being thorough to avoid issues.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 11, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

LunarShadow posted:

I don't know how grub hub pays their drivers. But with Door Dash they give the driver a minimum guaranteed payment of around 6 bucks per delivery. If someone tips, their tip is applied to that 6 dollars and Door dash tops it up to the minimum and unless there is a rush bonus that's all you get. And even during the rush most drivers, at least here in Atlanta, can only manage about 2 deliveries an hour if they are lucky and don't get stuck in the hell traffic. I did a shift friday and only got two deliveries done in the two hours of the dinner rush cause the roads were /hosed/.

Well that explains why it takes Doordash 25 minutes to find a drat driver in the relatively dense suburban area I work in, jesus christ that's loving retarded

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

Well that explains why it takes Doordash 25 minutes to find a drat driver in the relatively dense suburban area I work in, jesus christ that's loving retarded

It really is and I would work Waitr if they were in the area cause they at least pay hourly.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

If you told me it took you 4 hrs to do the servsafe I would think long and hard about starting a remedial program in my kitchen.

Manager version is 8 hours in a classroom... Fortunately my sous had substance abuse issues so we ate a shitload of weed gummies and took turns visiting a flask in her car

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

pile of brown posted:

Fortunately my sous had substance abuse issues so

I never do this, but: new thread title?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A dog and his man posted:

Well my like 12-13 year gig finally game to end today (last week)..... I’m sad. Really like all my Co-Workers, Customers, and how easy the job was....

It was my fault I did my threes strikes your out dumb poo poo. Just sucks.

Also they left with we’re not letting you go but we, just want you to get better.

How can you see if I’m getting better, when you don’t schedule me?!?!?! (Yes, I’m an alcoholic)

Quit drinking, get some help, stop being a rapist.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Timby posted:

Quit drinking, get some help, stop being a rapist.

Not necessarily in that order.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Uhhhh, yeah Rape no. The gently caress You about?!?

Getting a new service industry just sucks cause you have to mine yourself into a cake.

You are the new girl / guy. So let’s do some training. Here’s the computer, he’s the dish pit, all the side work. And, everyone who has worked here awhile knows all this poo poo so well good , luck kid.

Also, Tom is banging Sally so watch out. .

And then, DUN DUN DUN meeting the kitchen staff.

(I’ve always been chill with all my kitchen people. Sliding some cash money at the end of the night never hurts and not loving up orders)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

poop dood posted:

I never do this, but: new thread title?

I'll allow it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

You’re right, I forgot about the international stores. For full disclosure I’m corporate at HEB and only commented because I was curious if a store was doing badly/it’s the only topic I can speak to in this thread. So yeah any Central Market in TX is HEB, whatever Central Market is in Seattle will be different but hopefully still great.

Are there Central Markets outside Texas? I just checked their website and I only see Texas locations listed - I thought it was wholly owned by HEB.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are there Central Markets outside Texas? I just checked their website and I only see Texas locations listed - I thought it was wholly owned by HEB.

Nope, just happens to be another grocery in Seattle named Central Market.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

I'll allow it.

yesss

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dear restaurant owners/managers:

Please make sure your website is up to date, specifically with regards to the days/hours you are actually open.

Sincerely,
a woman who just tried to reply to your "no phone calls, apply in person" ad, checked your website, and got gussied up , drove downtown to your store (courteously during the applying-for-jobs 2-4pm zone, of course), and struggled to find parking, only to find out that you're not loving open on Mondays like your website says

(Welp, at least I know where to park when I go back downtown tomorrow.)

fake edit: But seriously, if I'm that pissed off, imagine how pissed off your would-be customers are.

fake edit part 2: seems like a whole lotta industry folks migrate into IT/coding... some of y'all restaurant vets should band up and make a company that specializes in designing and selling restaurant websites that actually function, stay updated, don't have squirrely interfaces or PDF menus, render correctly on my coal-powered tablet, etc

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Lol that’s all true, I totally forgot it was auto play no skip. I just had to renew mine a month or two ago and ignored it, doing other computer work, until the questions came up.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manuel Calavera posted:

e2 - "omlettes contain eggs. Which is a big 8 allergen." IT'S AN OMLETTE. IT'S MADE OF EGGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ah4tW-k8Ao

This is one of my favourite things.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Please make sure your website is up to date, specifically with regards to the days/hours you are actually open.

Sincerely,
a woman who just tried to reply to your "no phone calls, apply in person" ad, checked your website, and got gussied up , drove downtown to your store (courteously during the applying-for-jobs 2-4pm zone, of course), and struggled to find parking, only to find out that you're not loving open on Mondays like your website says

fake edit: But seriously, if I'm that pissed off, imagine how pissed off your would-be customers are.

fake edit part 2: seems like a whole lotta industry folks migrate into IT/coding... some of y'all restaurant vets should band up and make a company that specializes in designing and selling restaurant websites that actually function, stay updated, don't have squirrely interfaces or PDF menus, render correctly on my coal-powered tablet, etc

Never happen, it would require restaurants to spend money on that poo poo. :D

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Never happen, it would require restaurants to spend money on that poo poo. :D

Yeah an owner can do a premade site in about 20 minutes but won’t pay any money to keep it updated. They aren’t paying for a design and creation plus content management contract.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sincerely,

why the gently caress would you want applicants showing up unannounced? who in this industry has such an excess of free time that they want to set up fun little surprises for themselves?

nightly nopetopus
Feb 12, 2018

Possible Dexter.
Defective cat.
It's been snowing so much here that we closed three hours early today, because the later it gets, the harder it would have been to get home. I don't mind the short day at all, given how much I've been working lately. Now if only I could get a whole day to myself...

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

nightly nopetopus posted:

It's been snowing so much here that we closed three hours early today, because the later it gets, the harder it would have been to get home. I don't mind the short day at all, given how much I've been working lately. Now if only I could get a whole day to myself...

I just got a text from the owner asking me not to come in because the roads are so hosed (and also we're slow this week). It was just going to be an ordering/cleaning/organizing day anyway, so gently caress it, I'm not putting pants on. The snow is loving sideways. I don't want it.

The Weather Network posted:

Snow is expected to transition to ice pellets and then to freezing rain this afternoon. Freezing rain may persist for several hours before changing to rain or snow in the evening.

Additionally, strong easterly winds gusting up to 80 km/h are also expected this morning.
Yeeeaaaahhhhh gently caress that.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 12, 2019

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
This is home brew poo poo but:

Nothing feels better then a cleaned out nice looking home refrigerator.

Job Searching tomorrow. Heard I can get a bus downtown for a place that is desperate for FOH.

Hope something comes out of it. Night y’all.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I really wish restaurant owners could wrap their head around the difficulty of finding people to deliver catering. People that have a reliable car and a valid driver's license usually have actual jobs and aren't gonna show up for an hour or two on weekdays to take a catering to the other side of town.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wait, are they trying to find someone to deliver catering who does no other job for the restaurant?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The problem is that it almost has to be two separate groups of people because they have us delivering all over the drat county and literally 90% of our catering customers want their order set up weekdays at 11:30 +/- 30 minutes and we open for business at 11. We typically only run 4-5 people for lunch and drivers are typically gone till noon or later unless it happens to be right around the corner, which means when we need 2-3 drivers because there's three orders in three different directions and they're all 20+ minutes from the store and each other we're hosed.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

The problem is that it almost has to be two separate groups of people because they have us delivering all over the drat county and literally 90% of our catering customers want their order set up weekdays at 11:30 +/- 30 minutes and we open for business at 11. We typically only run 4-5 people for lunch and drivers are typically gone till noon or later unless it happens to be right around the corner, which means when we need 2-3 drivers because there's three orders in three different directions and they're all 20+ minutes from the store and each other we're hosed.

Yelp reviewers solved this problem long ago: if you’re so busy, just hire more people!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Sincerely,

My last job had no website at all when I started, and the hours on Google and Facebook and Yelp were all different and all incorrect. I eventually got so sick of people complaining to me about the hours being wrong that I made my own website for the bar and tried to get it fixed across everything else. Facebook was easy to straighten out, but I'd try to fix the Google listing and it would get changed back to the wrong hours a week later somehow.

And then there were my lazy rear end coworkers that would close early so they could go hang out at loving Applebee's. Customers bitched at me a lot for that, too.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Shroomie posted:

My last job had no website at all when I started, and the hours on Google and Facebook and Yelp were all different and all incorrect. I eventually got so sick of people complaining to me about the hours being wrong that I made my own website for the bar and tried to get it fixed across everything else. Facebook was easy to straighten out, but I'd try to fix the Google listing and it would get changed back to the wrong hours a week later somehow.

And then there were my lazy rear end coworkers that would close early so they could go hang out at loving Applebee's. Customers bitched at me a lot for that, too.

Google seems to be impossible to fix when it has incorrect information outside of search, and it's not just restricted to businesses. As an example, there's an overpass near me that was torn down nearly a year ago to be reconstructed and every other week Google Maps give me directions to go over that nonexistent bridge. I submitted the original ticket when it was first demolished and included a note saying it would be at least a year (per the City of Houston/Harris County) so it's not like they were given bad information either.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Good luck and godspeed tonight, friends. May your service be smooth, your tipout be plentiful, and your next day off relaxing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone got any tips for cleaning hood filters shaped like this:

Cleaning in-between the slats is a giant pain in the rear end. They're too big to fit in our fryers so I can't just boil them clean which is how I've done it most places I've worked. Is there some sort of spray-on degreaser anyone's familiar with that's super effective on caked-on rubbery grease?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Cleaning in-between the slats is a giant pain in the rear end. They're too big to fit in our fryers so I can't just boil them clean which is how I've done it most places I've worked. Is there some sort of spray-on degreaser anyone's familiar with that's super effective on caked-on rubbery grease?

The harshest degreaser you can find, let it soak for a while, then just jam a piece of steel wool in there with your finger/the back of a utensil and run it up and down that poo poo. You'll destroy a piece of steel wool per side, per filter. Hopefully you've got a sprayer hose on your dish sink. Make sure you've got something to catch all that poo poo before it goes down the drain. Good luck.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Naelyan posted:

The harshest degreaser you can find, let it soak for a while, then just jam a piece of steel wool in there with your finger/the back of a utensil and run it up and down that poo poo. You'll destroy a piece of steel wool per side, per filter. Hopefully you've got a sprayer hose on your dish sink. Make sure you've got something to catch all that poo poo before it goes down the drain. Good luck.

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but the harshest degreaser we have is simple green. I've got a couple looking immaculate but after that I'm just looking for the camera to deliver a "there's got to be a better way!"

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Republicans posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but the harshest degreaser we have is simple green. I've got a couple looking immaculate but after that I'm just looking for the camera to deliver a "there's got to be a better way!"

Please post a picture of a dirty one

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The one true heezy posted:

Please post a picture of a dirty one

That was a dirty one, here's a better angle to show off how hard it is to get at where the slats overlap.

http://imgur.com/gallery/U8hnfJq

None of them are horrible by any means, I just want to get them to where all they need is a quick soak and rinse every couple weeks. But god drat i miss being able to just boil them.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Republicans posted:

Send them through the dishwasher twice (flipping once), spray and scrub the gently caress out of them with steel wool. Send through the dish washer again. You can make them shine. If you have a way to soak them before hand, do it. Also never ask the dishwasher to do it 30min before the dinner rush.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The General posted:

Send them through the dishwasher twice (flipping once), spray and scrub the gently caress out of them with steel wool. Send through the dish washer again. You can make them shine. If you have a way to soak them before hand, do it. Also never ask the dishwasher to do it 30min before the dinner rush.

I do that too but unfortunately ours is low temp so it only helps a tiny bit. Nothing big enough to soak them in, either, so I just spray them down with degreaser and let that marinate for a while. Gonna see if I can't get some of the good stuff that will melt your flesh if it gets on you.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

We spray them with sysco aerosol grill/oven cleaner, let them sit for 10-15 minutes, then spray and green scrubby aggressively, through the dish machine and back up sparkling.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Republicans posted:

Go to your local auto parts store and get some Purple Power, it's functionally the same thing as normal restaurant degreaser and will cut much better than Simple Green. Will they fit in a bus tub?

Comedy option: Panther Piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Coasterphreak posted:

Go to your local auto parts store and get some Purple Power, it's functionally the same thing as normal restaurant degreaser and will cut much better than Simple Green. Will they fit in a bus tub?

Comedy option: Panther Piss

Nah, they don't even fit in our sinks. Tiny rear end kitchen, big rear end hood filters. Thanks for recommending a product, I'll try some of that.