Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shooting Blanks posted:

Walking out of a job is so drat satisfying.

Did that at an IT gig a couple of decades ago. Still feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Someone is going to make a lot of money with a Tapas Train.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Good. Pay your people mother fucker.

Yep. I'm a fan of George's from the show, but that's a huge amount of underpaying. gently caress him.

And now I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement of the new judging team.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Stringent posted:

That's a drat shame, I learned a lot from their cookbook.

It's okay, management didn't write it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Schmear isn't working for anybody ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

droll posted:

Get your CompTIA A+ (bit of money + time) to get past recruiter filters, lay down heavy on the resume about your past experience working under pressure (with difficult customers) to still deliver excellent service, as well as your ability to prioritize multiple tasks.

I can teach you which buttons to press and why. I can't teach you customer service and time management skills, not to the level of someone with experience anyway. Any good hiring manager will always pick someone with soft skills who can be trained over an unorganized jerk who knows Windows internals inside and out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mithross posted:

and I can get my current job to pay for refreshing my A+ that is massively out of date.

Good, but just having one gets you through a lot of doors. Take as many classes as you can, but there's no need to wait to start applying, that A+ gets you to the front of the line with many, many agencies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

PurplPenisEata posted:

I worked at a place that added Granny Smith apple shreds to coleslaw. I really liked it. But I like most any slaw.

Dried blueberries in a creamy slaw.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

cabbage in all its forms is a transcendent ingredient

Pop a teaspoon full of black mustard seeds in butter.
Add a chopped leek and olive oil for about 5 minutes, enough to get good color on the leek but not fully cook it.
Add half a head of chopped cabbage, liberally sprinkle with olive oil and season. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes so the cabbage is still sweet and the leek finishes.

That's my go-to side dish and a great celebration of cabbage.

This recipe came to us with sour cream on the leek and cabbage stages, mom and I immediately substituted Greek yogurt. Then one time I started it and found I was out of yogurt, so I just used olive oil and that works the best.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 27, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Every day we stray further from gods light

Nahh, that's fine. I adore cooked mushrooms, but putting them raw into a salad is just wasting an ingredient that could be made delicious with the skillful application of heat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Skwirl posted:

But with no sauce or cheese they're spending 22 bucks on bread with mushrooms on top. I bet it's for a couple, a women who doesn't want mushrooms on her salad and a psychopath that's been holding her hostage.

Oh, the bread with mushrooms part is heinous, except maybe as a mushroom-themed crostini appetizer. Which this isn't. I was just addressing the mushroom discrepancy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

thotsky posted:

How should I feel about comped items, gifts from the chef etc, and how should it affect my behavior?

In a tipping culture, tip based on the value of the meal including the comped items - the workload on the staff doesn't change even if your bill does.

And a lesson mom taught me early in life. We'd gone back cross country to settle my grandmother's estate, including a huge yard sale to finish up with. So we were flush cash and went out to dinner at a place mom used to work. She still knew a bunch of FOH people and possibly a chef or two. They treated us like royalty, comped a bunch of stuff, and everything was insanely awesome at a place where we normally couldn't afford a lunch special and a glass of water each. Mom tipped $100. In 1982.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Your body is more important than The Line.

But do the PT anyway. The pain really is for your own good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Naelyan posted:

Yep. Every (lovely) small restaurant owner and every chain manager I heard from for the entire year before this went through was crying the end of the world was coming. Six months later and you didn't hear a fuckin' peep about it because everyone was doing at least as well as they had before.

That's because the bosses are all overlooking that their customer base, and potential customer base, are also getting raises. That means more people can grab a burger and/or a beer and so more money in the till. Short-sighted like most capitalists.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The free market is speaking, and it's saying "gently caress you, pay people".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I love seeing a GMP violation that isn't us. We bust our rear end in the Manufacturing spaces to keep things clean. The facility that produces small batches for clinical trials now has Pharma Socks to be worn with your issued scrubs; there was a new EU directive, and we treat regulations like Best Practices.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Union guy came around handing out stickers. And the student workers are organizing too. Gonna be an interesting winter. :black101:

It's a long build-up to 2028. The UAW won big in Detroit, and they're calling for other unions to align their contract expiration dates with the UAW - April 30, 2028. So May Day in an election year with see a massive wave of strikes. I'm all for it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I absent-mindedly dipped a finger into a batch of caramel once. I did NOT taste it, the wayward digit was under running cold water instantly. No blister, no scar. I consider that a lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

There is a new drug for food allergies, but I read the drug companies were charging several thousand a month for it, and it's not likely to be covered on most plans.

We're really proud of that FDA approval, but R&D is expensive so it won't be widely prescribed until the patent expires. However, if you can benefit from it, get it prescribed and research your options.