Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I curve my long knives' edge when I use the fakepro but don't when freehand :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Funny story, on my way back from having my MRI just now, I walked since the place is like, 3/4 of a mile down the road. Lady coming out of the fast food place on the corner nearly hits me in a lifted F-350, so I continue to walk at my brisk pace and she rolls down her window to yell at me to "get the gently caress out of the way" and nudges me with the truck.

So I punched her side view mirror off.

Maybe not the best course of action given my history with vehicles, but is your fast food breakfast and rushing to work because you can't get your poo poo together more important than my well being? I don't think so.

hahaha I always think that the trope of people smiling and not being huge dickholes in Cleveland/Midwest are exaggerated but after commuting via bike for three years and never having any experience even coming close to yours I'm inclined to believe it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's a chain known for it's "martinis", Bar Louie around here where I had to explain how to make a dry martini when I got dragged to a new restaurant opening.

It came with brine...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

The problem with martinis in particular is that there is no consensus on how to make them any more. Too many times I had people order a martini when they really just wanted a cocktail glass full of chilled vodka because they thought it made them look fancy.

If someone was specific (name your gin, dry, dirty, twist or olive) that's awesome. Otherwise it's a pain to make those people happy.

The 80's are quickly becoming memory. It's everyone's duty to normalize it as a gin & vermouth drink nowadays.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

I'm a bartender, most people that order stuff like this have only heard about it from movies and have no clue what's in them trust me.

You're not a bartender, you press a button on a soda gun.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd put those in one hole.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

APRs on a credit card with good credit is still like 14%

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wasn't there something here floating around wrt uber eats not actually bringing in profits? I'll see if I can find it.

Seems to be lots of literature saying the same but the below gives a number that as these apps eat away from pick-up orders the application's partnership fee or w/e cuts into revenue too much for an average restaurant to be profitable.

http://reformingretail.com/index.php/2016/10/19/the-huge-problem-with-online-ordering-that-nobody-talks-about/

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 28, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's a mathematical stretch to make 20 = 3 x 11. This thread's a bit of a circular firing squad right now. Union/strike is how to get living wages i.e. KY/OK/WV teachers but I doubt kitchen labor will ever organize that much. If CDC were to up everyone's wages I think he'd find himself unemployed especially in texas.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No way higher wages would affect this.

make a loving point you piece of poo poo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Minimum wage in Texas is $7, not 11. 7x3 is close enough to 20, even if you assume a chef has the same above-pay benefits as every dishwasher, which I am certain is not the case.
Why are you arguing Texas generalities when numbers are provided in this specific case?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Are living wages not good enough for you? Does that not count? Do you hate poor people that much?
You're attacking two people, who by all means do well for their employees in this industry, on societal woes. It's not constructive and completely misses the primary issues plaguing industry wages. Reply back with more teeth gnashing pls

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He didn't. It was dishwashers to 15$ that would cost 10k. Is your memory so poor you can't recall the answer to a question you asked or just your terrible napkin math?

oh woopse dish and cook.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 30, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pile of brown posted:

You can act bougie without being part of a rigid stratified social system with a bourgeoisie class.

if you own a pet I expect you to curb stomp it tonight.

pile of brown posted:

In Texas, where he is, minimum wage is $7.

To increase to $15 is a difference of $8.

For employees working 8 hours a day, you would need more than 160 dishwashers every day to cost that.

I asked and was not answered what they make now and how many of them there are.

So what the gently caress are you talking about?
he pays more than minimum as evidenced by the j1s. You just want to be angry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pile of brown posted:

For someone who chimed in with insults and inaccurate information you've really got a great handle on this conversation, as well as my motivations for asking for clarification of details that make no sense.

If he already pays more than minimum wage it would cost LESS to increase pay to 15.

I don't even know what your post about stomping pets is even supposed to be about? Are you just making sure everyone knows you're a lovely person or what?
you're the only one making up numbers for your "it's just 50c a plate bullshit"

Having a pet is some bourgeois poo poo, hth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Duh, if you ever took in a stray cat during a hurricane and it decided to live with you, you're bougie. Jeez, this has already been explained, pet = bougie, please keep up

By definition

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

...don’t give fast food companies your money.
taco bell is an imaginative food company then

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So, to answer your question, I'm not actually in Cincinnati, and can't speak for their chili. I'd certainly try it, though, I love chili in all its forms and am no purist.
This is a great view to have re: chili but will truly be tested with cincinnati.

One of my fav articles, scroll down to #52 https://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if it was a white woman she expected free poo poo for such a transgression

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hauki posted:

I’ve gotten nauseous as gently caress from a gum with artificial sweeteners before but I don’t recall what it was. I just avoid them generally now.

https://www.ynhh.org/services/nutrition/sugar-alcohol.aspx they give you the runs

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My favorite food + LSD story has to be when my college buddy ordered a pizza over the phone at 1am while we were were all tripping balls. When asked what he wanted on it, he giggled "surprise me!" Pro-tip: never do this, unless you're dying to know how well pineapple and anchovies pair with bbq sauce and feta cheese and god knows what else. I took one bite, spat it out, and then was content to stare at pizza fractals.
Yikes if I got a malicious surprise me I don't think I'd ever order from them again. wtf pineapples

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

As someone who is "a little older" if I drank enough to need a hangover cure my stomach will already be hosed up for a week.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

:jerry:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We have good beer in Ohio. Behind Michigan and parts of the coasts but better than anywhere else (we are all alcoholics)

which city are you going to?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh that's the one city I know nothing about :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure skylines are as far north as Columbus

Cleveland is spared somehow, Toledo has Tony Pacos to defend it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's the dog sauce not their chili. unlike skyline they realize that those two ought to be different

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I know this has been brought up before but what dishes would you all do for a 5 item, cold and hot, menu for a brewery with pretty much no kitchen space (licensing)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Price point idk, dude has been trying to get food trucks to come so he's able to sell non in-house beer but that's proved inconsistent at best. Right now he doesn't even have the headcount so leaning towards small bites, I don't have a handle on the kitchen space but I'll probably go visit it on Saturday. I thought of pickled eggs & small plate sodium citrate mac & cheese. I'll pass along http://www.tiredhands.com/cafe/menu we have a beer garden that does everything in a toaster oven locally but only finishes inhouse inhouse http://www.forestcitybrewery.com/bites/

idk how I forgot about salads.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A 19 year old is legally drunk after a stiff beer. 21+ a little bit more.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're an adult with a fully developed brain and went through a much more vigorous examination than most kids in the early 90s. You're assuming you're the only person who has experience and pretending there aren't vast differences in care between what you can afford and what someone making $10 an hour can manage.

ritalin, specifically in the late 90's and early 00's was bad, yes. A lot of it due to racism in schools and seeing bored black kids as uppity while bored white kids were put into gifted programs before getting a script as the next step. Combined with the war on drugs and meth is super popular now. However adderal avoids some of the brain damage and dependencies that ritalin caused and is generally prescribed less. It's a tool that some people legitimately need.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hauki posted:

What the gently caress. What state is this?

all of them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bizwank posted:

Why not? It's humanizing and indicates you don't "want" more money but you "need" it to support yourself. Any employer who doesn't care if you can support yourself on what they're paying isn't worth working for.

the implication is that you'll walk as soon as you find that .75 elsewhere after they don't give it to you.

JD you simply shouldn't have two titles and their payroll software or whatever method they use probably doesn't allow two punches.

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand how people are expected to live off 9.75 an hour, I get that I live in California and pay an insane amount of rent compared to boring places, but still, at 40 hours a week that's less than 400 bucks a week.

Do you get overtime on the days you're working ten and a half hours for those last 2 and a half hours?
they aren't expected to. Shits hosed up, but boss needs that dollar.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

number 1 snake fan posted:

Passing the burden of paying for straws on to people that literally need them is unfair. Also, there is at least one town that has started *fining* restaurants for passing out straws. It's not going to make a loving difference and it's directly affecting my friends.

regardless that you're missreading what he said, what their policy is, and a misconception of nonzero... I have to sneak in my own hotsauces so have your friends sneak in a loving straw if they won't ask for one dumbshit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wonder who the rereg is

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why not straw straws

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Unless someone is high out of their loving mind, you wouldn't notice a difference. Sounds like meth/coke/alcoholism.

e: I need more specifics. How was he dumber? Mistakes? Forgetting? Not understanding? Dude might take meds and forgot them that day. My boss knows my situation and I've asked that he let me know if I'm not performing as usual, because there's a good chance something came up around my noon pill reminder or something to that effect.

a new smoker will have stark differences too

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Back in my day we used seamen

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

omg I'm going to have to ask now

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's truly a poo poo management tactic so keep that in mind and let it roll off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A free day off is a good excuse to check other kitchens.